19 replies to this topic

#1 LovingMommyof3

LovingMommyof3

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

when do i have to tell my new employer i'm preggers?

should i keep it quite for a bit, or just tell them?

#2 Raja

Raja

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

I would wait until after your 3 months for sure. I guess it depends to on where you work. What type of work you do.

#3 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

i dont think you should hide it or keep it a secret thats just wrong in my opinion

#4 LovingMommyof3

LovingMommyof3

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

call centre, so 3 month in to my new job or 3 months preg?

#5 Raja

Raja

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

I would think 3 months pregnate. They can not fire you if you are pregnate cause you can fight that. When I started a new job I found out I was pregnate too and I waited 3 or 4 months and then I went and told my boss that I was pregnate and she was fine with it. I did not even have my time in yet cause I was part time. But I had to make sure I had my time in before I went off for maternity leave.

#6 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

I started a new job at 4 mths pregnant and I told them when they hired me. I couldn't wait for 3 mths, I thought it wouldve been wrong but I wouldve been like 7 mths then haha...
They can't fire you bcuz ur pregnant, that's discrimination. But they can "lay you off" if they're jerks. Good luck!! Tough spot I know, I was there! Just be honest I think is best!

#7 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

If youre under ur 3mths probation and really count on your income I would wait... Technically yes they cant fire you for being pregnant... HOWEVER... they can fire you without a reason before 3 mths... Its probably not in your best interest to divulge anything until necessary.

#8 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

You're working in a job with a high rate of turnover, so it is unlikely they would care too much.

#9 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

You're working in a job with a high rate of turnover, so it is unlikely they would care too much.

Agreed.
i work in a call centre and honestly, they don't care.
as long as you're a warm body to fill the seat and answer the phones they don't care.
my job for example just wants you to provide medical documentation if you require more breaks, ergo chairs or any other accommodations.

#10 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

i guess if it comes up, i would say something

#11 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

If youre under ur 3mths probation and really count on your income I would wait... Technically yes they cant fire you for being pregnant... HOWEVER... they can fire you without a reason before 3 mths... Its probably not in your best interest to divulge anything until necessary.

They can fire you at anytime for any reason. There is no such thing as job security any more. I was told by the labour board that I could be fired if my employer doesn't like my shoes! LOL Odds are, they would lie about why you were fired. So pretty much, you're never safe.

I'd tell after a month of being there.

#12 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'd wait as it is really none of their business. It does not affect your job at this point. You do not have security in the job yet and you only need to give 2 weeks notice to even quit.

Why is it wrong to withhold you will need a leave in 7 months but, not to withhold if you were looking for a better job you could get any day? Or if you find you don't like the job in a month then give 2 weeks?

I would likely say something at some point after I was comfortable with my position and my job security. I certainly would not say anything right away.

#13 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

I'm sorry but I woulda said something upon hiring. Withholding that information is sneaky in my opinion, because first, they are paying to train you and secondly in 6 months they have to replace you with another individual and then train again. So I woulda been up front with them, it looks better for you in the end in the employers eyes. But again that's JMHO!

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I get that, Jenny, but sometimes a person really needs the job, and cannot afford to risk losing it! I can totally understand witholding. Most employers, IMO, wont hire someone they know is pregnant, weather they admit to their reasoning or not.

#15 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

I totally understand that. But thats just my opinion...being honest upfront is what I would prefer. Honesty DOES go a long way...believe it or not. KWIM? :)

I like to think of it from the other person's view and how would I like it done to me.

#16 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

You will need to put something in writting with the date you plan on working until so your employer can start making the required arrangements.

#17 LovingMommyof3

LovingMommyof3

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

most of the people at work know, and my trainer knows, i've been trying to get into hr but its really busy lately with all the new hiring they are doing. telling them this week though, and i don't think they'll have a prob with it.

#18 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

I would for sure wait until your past 3 months.. I think its more then fair to wait until then, just incase you miscarry... maybe its not 100% correct? i dunno.. but i was always told that the first 3 months you are at the most risk to loose the pregnancy. most ppl i know wait till then to start telling everyone. i assumed it was pretty comman practice? i dunno

#19 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

I would for sure wait until your past 3 months.. I think its more then fair to wait until then, just incase you miscarry... maybe its not 100% correct? i dunno.. but i was always told that the first 3 months you are at the most risk to loose the pregnancy. most ppl i know wait till then to start telling everyone. i assumed it was pretty comman practice? i dunno

She's past 3 months.

#20 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

oohh ok.