10 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Do you think (or are you currently) you will still be working when you become a grand-mother? Would you quit your job or retire early to spend more time with or help raise your grandchildren?

Edited by tabbs, 19 May 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

not all grandmothers are well into thier 60s or 70's. My mom became a grandmother at 44. Of course she wasn't working becuase she was in a bad accident years ago, but I don't see why i wouldn't be working then (assuming nothing happens before then)

#3 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, my mom is still working. She became a grandmother at 45.

#4 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Technically I COULD be a grandma as 2 of my kids are more than old enough to have children... so.. while I dont plan on being one anytime soon, I could see myself a working grandma.. that is when I get a job!

#5 Guest_polarbear_*

Guest_polarbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

My mom still works, and she also became a grandmother at 44 (15 yrs ago).

#6 Guest_justcallmesamma_*

Guest_justcallmesamma_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

My mom works.
she became a grandma at 38.

#7 Guest_pawsitivemom_*

Guest_pawsitivemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

WEll, considering I have a 18yr old and am MANY yrs away from retirement....I'll definitely be a working g-ma LOL. I think I may even be working more than I do now (depending on how long that is from now).

#8 Guest_mom2spiritedboy_*

Guest_mom2spiritedboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well I would hope it would be a LONG time off LOL but I could see myself watching my grandkid(s) a day a week or something but no way would I quit a job (if I am working then) to raise my grandkids. With everything we have put on hold to raise our boys I am sure DH and I will be doing some travelling etc. once I retire (DH is older than me so he will retire before I do).

#9 Guest_terbear_*

Guest_terbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

well I do have teens that are "capable" of giving me grandchildren...and if they do....NO I will not quit my job so I can raise their children.

I have saved and planned for my retirement to be around age 55ish. I have a very specific plan on what I see my retirement years to be like...Nowhere in that plan is "raising" grandchildren. Spending lots quality time with grandchildren is on the plan but not raising them. I would hope my children make good choices and only have kids when they are financially able to have kids, which includes being able to pay for daycare, if they need it. If unplanned grandkids come my I will have to access the situation and see but very doubtful that I would ever quit my job to raise them.

#10 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

Can't see it here! I am already 48 with kids only 6 and 7 so hoping to not be working when they have kids but who knows--that is such a long time from now!

#11 Guest_kiki11153_*

Guest_kiki11153_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

My mom is a grandma to 9 grandchildren and is still working with no plans of not working any time soon. She became a g-ma at 38 and is now 50.

I hope and pray my kids will wait to have children until they are older than I was when I had my first, but I am sure even if they wait I will still be "young" and will probably still be working. I hope to not have to "raise" my grandkids but can not wait to spend lots of time with them smile.gif