8 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

Have you given any thought on how you would work and take care of your parents or in-law when they get old. AM 800 said that 1 in 4 of us will have to as the baby boomer's get old and need care! Would you leave your job and stay home? Based on the demographics, it will be like a short term problem......there won't be enough room in the retirement homes as it only affects a very small portion of the aging population.

#2 Guest_AmyMoledzki_*

Guest_AmyMoledzki_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

well, i'm in a similar situation only *thankfully* i don't work. my great aunt is 79, legally blind and in a wheelchair due to a stroke she had last year and came to live with us a few months ago. the nursing home she was in closed and she is on SUCH a ridiculously long waiting list for other places, we realy had no choice. it's fine because she is in pretty good health, she just requires a fair bit of assistance. we get 1 hr per day with a psw (covered by ohip) but that's it.

there's NO way we would be able to do this if i worked. i don't know how people who work care for their aging family members who require more than minimal care.

#3 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

I think for me, I will have to depend on professional (just like I have with my children in day care). I may be able to have my parents live with me, but will need to have someone come in everyday to help take care of their daily needs. I really do think there will be a market for more senior day cares/day camps in the future.

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

no way I would take care for them. If it comes to that then they will go into a home where they can be social and have friends and activities and not sit at home all day long and get depressed.

#5 Guest_terbear_*

Guest_terbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

no way I would take care for them. If it comes to that then they will go into a home where they can be social and have friends and activities and not sit at home all day long and get depressed.

and you while you are visiting, you can scout out some great underwear possibilities. Even befriend the lady who is the same size. Get her to ask family and friends for specific things you may need

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

and you while you are visiting, you can scout out some great underwear possibilities. Even befriend the lady who is the same size. Get her to ask family and friends for specific things you may need

OMG what an AWSOME idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Guest_terbear_*

Guest_terbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

A peek into Murky's future....

In Windsor in the late 2010's, a woman man named Murky visited an old people's home and began speaking with an elderly lady (hoping to befriend her for her underwear stash). As she talked, she helped herself to peanuts from a jar at the side of the old woman's chair. After some time, she asked the woman if she would like a peanut. She replied, "Oh, I can't eat the things dear. I just suck the chocolate off and drop them in a jar beside my chair.

#8 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

The challenge is that there will not enough space in retirements homes or hospitals when the boomers need it. And since it is such a small demographic for a small period of time, new beds will not be available. Us kids, will have to take care of them some other way.

#9 Guest_~Tracy~_*

Guest_~Tracy~_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

His parents will go to a home. Not being rude but they don't have the money for upgrades for the home and have many more medical issues then my parents. My parents we will move in and since I work full time midnights hubby will be home and I can take care of them during the day.Worst case I would drop to part time. Plus they will have money for a caregiver and CCAC allows so many hrs per wk. I think we would be able to handle it since we have many friends and family who are in all areas of Nursing.

At least until they require quite a bit of care and as long as they are ambulatory.