Cat(s) peed in playroom on bean bag chairs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aundrea_*

Guest_Aundrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

We started to smell that unmistakable Cat smell last week in the basement. We have 2 cats and our home has never smelled like cats before (Urine smell). I hate that and find that any home that smells of that is unclean and totally sick!
Well we have been running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to find where it is coming from and low and behold I found it today.
1 or both cats have peed or are peeing on the bean bag chairs in the play room.
The litter went an extra week with out being washed out b/c of unforeseen circumstances and we were using up the old "Yesterdays news" litter from the bunny. They hated it and I pray that's why they went elsewhere. I hope it isn't the beginning of a big problem because I won't have my house smelling like cat piss.
So the long and short;
HOW DO I GET RID OF THE SMELL??????

I have bought the pet deodorizer from arm and Hammer that you sprinkle then vacuum up as well as Febreze. When I found the wet bean bag chairs, I dosed them in febreze, but they will have to be washed. I don't know how. The pellets on the inside are dry, so I will somehow have to dump them and wash the outer shell, but where do I put the pellets while wash it. What if they have acquired the smell as well?
What do I do elsewhere to get rid of the smell if I find they have sprayed elsewhere?
This is ridiculous. Our female is 15 and our male is 3. (Both fixed, and no apparent health problems). I think it was just because of the dirty/different change in litter. But we have been back for a week now to the regular stuff, but the smell has got worse. I hope it is just because it has sat for longer and not that they are continuing to do it!
HELP ME!!!

#2 Guest_Waffle_47_*

Guest_Waffle_47_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

I had a cat that pee'd on one of the kids bean bag chairs. I put the whole thing in the tub, filled the tub with water and added lysol. I hand washed it around in the water for about 10mins, then let the tub drain. I ran the hot shower over after that to rinse it. Then put it out on the porch to dry. The next day I did the same thing, but I used cat-pee remover stuff(bought it at Pet Smart), washed it around in the tub for a bit, then let it soak for 20 mins. Rinsed again with the hot shower and let it air outside over the laundry for 2 days!! It was ok after that. It didn't smell great, but after a few days it smelled normal again and to this day I still can't smell the cat pee in it anymore. It jsut smells like the cat-pee rmover stuff.

#3 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

You'd have to SATURATE the item in an enzyme-based cleanser like Nature's Miracle, otherwise they'll keep going back and soiling it again. We had to do this with our bedroom carpet over the holidays. Keep the litter clean, clean the affected item, and try to restrict access to it for a week or two. Good Luck!

#4 Guest_macksgirl_*

Guest_macksgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

I tried using "yesterday's news" for my cat when her claws were removed, she peed and poo'd on my bed 1 time. I dumped the yesterdays news and put regular cat litter in and decided I would rather deal with the chance of her getting a litter crystal inside her nail bed and dealing with it then. She has never peed again anywhere other then her box. I can almost guarentee that is why they went out of the box.

As for the bean bag chair, personally, I would get rid of it. Its going to be very hard, near impossible to get that smell out, and you don't want them smelling it either, and giving them an invitation to do it again.

#5 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

thats what happened with our cat, except he was pooing on ds's bed, no apparent reason, nothing wrong with him. So after some searches, I found that vinegar mixed with water took the smell out and also kept the cat away, I had to do it maybe 3 times but he hasn't done it since.

#6 Guest_Karen_*

Guest_Karen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Honestly, cat urine is one of the most difficult smells to get rid of. Short of trying what Pauline has said, I'd pitch the chairs. sad.gif That smell will haunt you if you don't get rid of the source of the odour. Once you do eliminate the source of the smell and clean the surrounding areas, using an enzyme cleaner like Don said, then I would use a dehumidifier to help with whatever smell is lingering, if any. Pet Smart has an enzyme cleaner- Petzyme- that I use for all accidents but it doesn't always work. Good luck.

#7 Guest_zerodog_*

Guest_zerodog_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

I would pitch the chairs too. sad.gif Even if the smell does go, you'll always worry that the cats will do it again. The kids may be reluctant to sit on the chairs ever after too.

PS: You may be interested to know that there is a bean bag chair paaaaaatteeeerrrrrnnnn.... and I haaaaaave iiiiittt!!!! wink.gif

#8 Guest_Aundrea_*

Guest_Aundrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well after doing a lot of research, I have washed the chairs in a mixture of cider vinegar, real vinegar and laundry detergent. They are hanging to dry/I hope this works. Now to get into the room tomorrow and guess where they have been voiding! I found this cool idea on how to get rid of it:

Home Remedy for cat urine smell. This is a great recipe for removing cat urine odor from carpet. Start by blotting up as much of the urine as possible with old rags or paper towels. Next mix 3 parts water with one part vinegar and saturate the spot.Dry thoroughly using the same method mentioned above. Once dry, sprinkle the area with Baking Soda. Next mix ĺ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with one tsp. dish detergent and sprinkle over the Baking Soda. Try this first on a small inconspicuous area of the carpet to make sure the hydrogen peroxide wonít discolor your carpet. Next, use your fingers or an old brush to work the Baking Soda in. Iíve used an old hairbrush with little bits of plastic over the tips with good results. Allow this to dry and vacuum it up. If thereís still a slight odor when done, lather, rinse and repeat.Remove cat urine odor from laundry. Use this method on your clothing, bedding, rugs or anything you think you can stuff in the washer (not including your cat). Simply add ľ cup apple cider vinegar along with your normal laundry detergent, start the washer and VOILA!

Bleach your cement floors and bare walls. Although this method is widely disputed because of the deadly reaction bleach has with ammonia (which is found in cat urine), if you go about it carefully, it can be an effective way to kick the urine smell out of your life for good. First, wash the soiled area with any appropriate cleaner you have that DOES NOT contain ammonia. Once clean, wipe the area down with fresh water to remove any residue left behind by the cleaner. Next, do it again. I know it sounds laborious, but trust me, this works. After your second washing and wiping, employ your bleach. In a clean spray bottle you can pick up from the beauty section of any Target store, mix a 10:1 water to bleach solution. Make sure the area you are cleaning in is well ventilated, put on some rubber gloves and get to work. Spray on lightly, let sit for about 30 seconds, and wipe off with a clean damp rag.
Cat pee, or cat urine, if you will, may be the most formidable smell known to mankind. While the home remedies are effective in removing cat urine odor, some people (myself included) simply donít have the time or the patience for serious cat urine scrubbing. If this is the case for you as well, let me recommend some products Iíve found that work great for cat urine removal. These, unlike the sprays that will do nothing for you but mask the odor for a few days, have enzymes in solution that will actually break down stains and odor causing molecules all while making your life much easier. A good cat urine cleaner will also have bacteria producing agents that will work continually until the stain and cat urine smell are gone completely. Simple Solution, Natureís Miracle, Complete Pet Stain and Odor Remover by 8in1, and Capture Pet Stain and Odor Neutralizer are by far the most effective products Iíve found for cleaning cat urine. Best of all, a super cat urine remover is very easy to find. Many pet stores and online stores will carry one or all of these. Now that you know how to clean cat urine, get to work, that pee ainít gonna clean itself. Oh, and wash your hands before you eat. Thatís disgusting.

After doing an hour of research, this one seems to sum it up quite well and has all teh ingredients that many say work!
So even though I don't have a black light, I will concoct the mixture and scrub the playroom carpet.
We'll see. I hope it works.
I also hope they haven done their business anywhere else, but time will tell after I get the playroom conquered!
UGH! I am so grateful I am not working and my kids are in school so I can do this!

#9 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

I put the vinegar mixture (that I mentioned above) and put it in a spray bottle, I did it every morning for about 3 days and then that was it, he hasn't done it since.

#10 Guest_Silly Canadian_*

Guest_Silly Canadian_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

We had a cat that did that and it was because of the litter change. he just wouldn't go until we changed it...so then he got a bladder infection and started to go i nthe spot he used during the "crappy litter period". Once we put him on the meds (and spent a few bucks at the vets), he was back to normal... but the vet suggested we place a plate of food in the corner of where he likedto do his business when he was sick.

If the cats do it again, clean it again and put some food in a bowl right in the middle of the bean bag chair. That will deter them from making it a habit.

Good luck!

#11 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

I hope you can get the smell out. Good Luck!

I'm going to pin this topic for future reference.

#12 Guest_miche_*

Guest_miche_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

When our puppy was training.. she peed... and I use to soak up the urine... then soak again with some pet stuff.. then soak up again... then vinegar/hot water.. soak up again.. let dry... came out.. smell out.. worked well... glad she is trained...
As for cat urine... I have never had that before... but i swear by vinegar always....so if vinegar is in the ingredients.. I would go for it

#13 Guest_Aundrea_*

Guest_Aundrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

Update:
I just finished doing the recipe (had the door shut all week until I could tackle it)

The part about soaking the spot was hard as it was an entire area, so I tripled the vinegar/water recipe, and it took a roll and a half to soak it all up. I did the backing soda and peroxide and it is sitting to dry. I shut the door, opened the window and put the fan on.
I pray it was just that spot where the BB chairs were.

BTW, they seemed to be good as new. I washed them twice with cider vinegar and detergent and they smell good as new.
I hope it was just that spot. I will pop my head back in the room in a hour and see if I still smell pee. If I do, I have to do the entire room. It took me an hour to do the 1 spot, so I can't imagine. I wish I had a black light as that would tell me exactly where the pee was.
Oh well, lets hope I got it!
I'll let you know!