Ingredient List:
Olive oil or another natural oil
Pure beeswax
Pure (USP grade) zinc oxide or titanium dioxide
Saucepan
Spoon for stirring
Stove, even a camp stove will work fine

Instructions:

1. Heat a cup of olive oil over a low flame.

2. Add 1 ounce of beeswax, broken into pieces if possible (so that it melts faster).

3. Stir constantly until the beeswax is completely melted in the hot oil.

4. Add one to two tablespoons of USP grade zinc oxide powder, a little at a time, continuing to stir constantly.

5. Remove from the stove, and pour into a glass or ceramic dish that can be covered.

6. Allow to cool to room temperature before use.

Tips

-Try other natural oils; just about anything safe to eat ought to be safe on your skin.
-Titanium dioxide may work as well as, or better than, zinc oxide. Either oxide is what does the "work" of the sunscreen.
-The beeswax makes the resulting product viscous, like a skin cream, holding the oxide in suspension. You can try varying the ratio of oil to wax.
-The beeswax and oxide, if not available locally, can usually be found at auction websites.

Warnings!

Zinc oxide itself may be a health risk, so avoid breathing the powder. A face mask may be useful until the product is all in suspension.
It's better to dedicate a pan, stirring spoon, and any other necessary utensils for this purpose, never using them for food again.
It is possible that the oxide will settle while the product is cooling, or during transit in a hot environment. If, when you are applying it, it is translucent: you need to stir the oxide up from the bottom, or you are getting a false sense of security! A viable product will be opaque.

#2 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

where would you buy the zinc oxide powder i wonder...... any one know?? maybe a pharmacy?? i have no idea... lol

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

No idea where you would buy the powder, but if you find a source let me know as I'd love to make some more natural sunscreen!

#4 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

i am going to try and buy some beeswax from a bee farm in cottam.
and i will be calling around to see if i can find some zinc powder around here...

#5 Guest_beveemonkey_*

Guest_beveemonkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hmm.. very interesting. Let us know if you find a source around here! smile.gif

#6 Kids Love Yoga

Kids Love Yoga

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

shopeco actually has two natural sunscreens. Both were rated a 1 by the cosmetic database. One of them is also available in the refill station.

#7 Guest_beveemonkey_*

Guest_beveemonkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info Anita, I will check it out for sure.

smile.gif

#8 Guest_Tired Mom_*

Guest_Tired Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

I'd hesitate to use a cooking oil in sunscreen. I wound up with a very nasty burn from vegetable oil, after a misguided attempt to get a better tan one summer as a teen, lol. It keeps burning your skin for hours after. Even if the zinc oxide deflects for filters the sun, the heat alone would heat the oil molecules, wouldn't it, and still wind up cooking the skin?

#9 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I would think you could use whatever oils you want.... Olive oil, grape seed oil.... it probably doesnt matter.,.... but i personally would not think it would be the same as just rubbin some oil on.... because it would be a mixture of ingrediants, kinda a cream form... i am thinkin... there is oils in all kinds of skin products.... if it was plain oil... maybe?? but not all mixed up with the other stuff..... thats just my thoughts on it anyway.... smile.gif

#10 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

You can get the Zinc oxide poweder at the shoppers in essex. Its 17 buck... but its 500 Grams. and its a decent size in my opinion... to make the sunscreen you dont need very much... so it should last quite a while.... i phoned around to find it... so if the shoppers in essex is too far for you.... call around to pharmacies in your neighbourhood.... and ask for the zinc oxide powder. Hope the info is helpful to those who are interested. smile.gif

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll stop there on the way back from Leamington playclass tomorrow smile.gif

#12 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

I got a chance to make the sunscreen last night! It was great. Turned out awsome. I love it. and the kids and I will try it out today as long as it stays sunny out side. smile.gif

#13 Guest_canadianangel_*

Guest_canadianangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

How did this work out for you??

#14 Guest_gm+1mom_*

Guest_gm+1mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

I'm curious too, how did it work?
My dd is allergic to sunblock, and I find it very expensive buying the natural stuff with the amount we go through.

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

I would be a bit concern about UV protection? Does it state anywhere how effective it is against UVA and UVB rays? Is it broad spectrum?

I don't mess around with this stuff, my kids have never had a burn, and I am anal about lotion!! I'd want to be sure I am offering them the SAME or superior protection. Every burn is a step closer to possible skin cancer, and though that might sounds kind of over the top, I want to always be safe with sun.

I'd like research and data on this stuff!

#16 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

I just use pure zinc oxide. K has never had a burn.

#17 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

But how does it protect again UV exposure? I'd be interested to know!

ETA: Apparently Zinc is in basically all lotions and is very affective against UV rays.. just for the record!

Edited by ~Jill~, 09 June 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#18 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hmmm....I would encourage everyone to do some research on both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Depending on what you are using, nanoparticles of both of these are highly toxic. They are both ingredients (used in nano form) found in standard, mainstream sunscreens/blocks but are far from safe and are linked to cancer.

#19 Guest_canadianangel_*

Guest_canadianangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Yes but there is so much more in Sunscreen as well here is a article that is very interesting.

http://www.ewg.org/2...bout-sunscreen/

#20 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Keegsmama @ Jun 9 2010, 03:52 PM) View Post
I just use pure zinc oxide. K has never had a burn.

Wouldn't that be super thick to use on the whole body?

#21 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Absolutely! I don't buy mainstream stuff because the synthetic garbage outweighs the "benefits", if you can even call them that. I'm not sure what the zinc powder contains so I just wanted to throw that word of caution out there. smile.gif

ETA: this was in response to canadianangel, should have added a quote.

Edited by Jennw3, 09 June 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#22 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

QUOTE(Jennw3 @ Jun 9 2010, 05:15 PM) View Post
Hmmm....I would encourage everyone to do some research on both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Depending on what you are using, nanoparticles of both of these are highly toxic. They are both ingredients (used in nano form) found in standard, mainstream sunscreens/blocks but are far from safe and are linked to cancer.

I've never heard of this, will have to look into it more!

#23 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

its thick but works and he has no allergic reactions to it like he has to many other kinds main stream or not.

#24 Guest_AandB'sMummie_*

Guest_AandB'sMummie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

pure zinc oxide
my doc just told me to use it on DS,esp on his excema areas as we are havign pathy white skin issues where his spots once where...
but i am wary.
I haev to hti shop eco for there sunscreen, keep emanign to do that.. as my mexitan bottle is getting very low.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

Not all mainstream ones use nanoparticles.. Typically its not, from what I read, its just zinc cream, which is not absorbed by the skin.. the nanostuff is though, and they are still researching the safety of such products from my understanding, as well.

I have Fruit of the Earth stuff right now, its water resistant, broad spectrum protection and hypoallergenic. It also contains Aloe. I use mostly any product, but I am not too afraid of what is inside, really.

#26 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(AandB @ Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM) View Post
pure zinc oxide
my doc just told me to use it on DS,esp on his excema areas as we are havign pathy white skin issues where his spots once where...
but i am wary.
I haev to hti shop eco for there sunscreen, keep emanign to do that.. as my mexitan bottle is getting very low.

I use Earth Momma's Healing Butter from Earthen Herbals on K's and Ash's eczema

#27 Guest_Hunnybunches72_*

Guest_Hunnybunches72_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

are there any products that dont use beeswax that are natural?

#28 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I wonder if one of the two that Anita has this year would work?

#29 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

I wonder if one of the two that Anita has this year would work?

Avalong Organics sun screen doesn't have bees wax in it.

#30 Guest_AandB'sMummie_*

Guest_AandB'sMummie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

<!--quoteo(post=1191781:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM:name=AandB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AandB @ Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pure zinc oxide
but i am wary.
I haev to hti shop eco for there sunscreen, keep emanign to do that.. as my mexitan bottle is getting very low.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I use Earth Momma's Healing Butter from Earthen Herbals on K's and Ash's eczema

we are doign really well with both kids spots as we have pin pointed the irritants(allergens).
so now its just the odd flare up
Its the spots where they once where or(come back)
that are white. but then they are a differnet color even b4 he tans. DD not so much but then her areas are on her ankles, legs and bum.
But i will look into that lotion. always nice to try nw stuff. esp if its more natural.thanks

#31 Guest_AandB'sMummie_*

Guest_AandB'sMummie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

shopeco actually has two natural sunscreens. Both were rated a 1 by the cosmetic database. One of them is also available in the refill station.

what are the 2 names. i ws lokign on your site but only see 1 . and not sure if its one of the afer ones.

#32 Kids Love Yoga

Kids Love Yoga

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

the two we currenlty have in stock are the
Badger
http://www.shopeco.c...products_id=450
and the Heiko
http://www.shopeco.c...products_id=700

I also have the thinkbaby on order - as soon as those folks at the border clear it - I will add it to the website as well.

For now here is the parent site

http://thinkbabybott...3oz-_p_148.html

#33 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

They are sooo expensive for such a small amount?? I'd go with the homemade stuff, I think!

#34 Guest_rox028802_*

Guest_rox028802_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

The homemade works great for us so far. :)

You can play with the amount of oil and bee's wax you use to come up with the perfect consistency, or what not that u like.

and it makes their skin super soft.

#35 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

the two we currenlty have in stock are the
Badger
http://www.shopeco.c...products_id=450
and the Heiko
http://www.shopeco.c...products_id=700

I also have the thinkbaby on order - as soon as those folks at the border clear it - I will add it to the website as well.

For now here is the parent site

http://thinkbabybott...3oz-_p_148.html

You are one well researched business owner and I trust your judgement and appreciate that you are passionate for this stuff! :)