So who has a passport ............

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abbeys Mom_*

Guest_Abbeys Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

i do not and likely wont ......so I guess if I want to go over to the States I am out of luck ......sad.gif

oh well for the few times I go I dont think its worth it ......do the passports cost alot of money??

just wondering .....I would of loved to take Ethan and the triplets to Cedar Point for the day ??

Do kids need them too??

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have a passport and so does ds.
Mine was 50$ I am not sure about child's since ds's grandma paid for it.
I dont think kids need one to cross the boarder just a birth certificate, not sure on that one though

#3 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

I was told that children will need a passport to enter into the states but do not need one to come into Canada. So I will have to get one for myself and both girls. I really need to get moving on it lol

#4 Guest_Waffle_47_*

Guest_Waffle_47_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have mine, I've had it since 2005. Kids do not need one until they are 16 I believe.

#5 Guest_sharm1127_*

Guest_sharm1127_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

DH and I both do but did not get DS one as he's only 12. We won't get DS one till he's 15 as that's when they need them (unless they are flying) My parents live over the river so we head to the States every couple weeks so we had to get them. I also had to have one regardless for Immigration purposes.

#6 Guest_Missy77_*

Guest_Missy77_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

Here we go again: Adults over the age of 16 need passports, children do not. Birth certificates will suffice for children under 16, unless you're flying.

#7 Guest_ladygodiva70_*

Guest_ladygodiva70_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

I don't have one, but I have an appt to get my enhanced driver's license on June 4th. that will get me across the border, but I can't fly (I don't have wings anyway and can't afford a plane). Kids don't need a passport until their 16 from what I understand.

#8 Guest_sharm1127_*

Guest_sharm1127_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(Missy77 @ May 26 2009, 11:14 AM) View Post
Here we go again: Adults over the age of 16 need passports, children do not. Birth certificates will suffice for children under 16, unless you're flying.

So true. When we went over last weekend the guy took our passports and DS birth certificate. Asked how come DS did not have a Passport and we told him he's only 12 and the guy said oh ok. We got no hassles or anything.

#9 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

But then why when a friend crossed the boarder last week was she reminded by customs to get herself and the children their passports or they would not be able to enter the states?

Why would the custom officer say this if it was not true?

#10 Guest_ladygodiva70_*

Guest_ladygodiva70_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

from the CBSA website:

"Upon full implementation of the U.S. WHTI on June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under will only be required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or a citizenship card, when entering the United States by land or water. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

Since January 31, 2008, and until May 31, 2009, Canadian citizens aged 18 and under are only required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or a citizenship card, when entering the United States by land or water."

However, if you plan on flying, everyone, including children must have a passport:

"Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following valid documents:

a passport; or
a NEXUS card when used at a kiosk at designated Canadian airports and at all U.S. airports when returning to Canada.
This requirement applies to all travellers, regardless of age, including children."

Edited by ladygodiva70, 26 May 2009 - 10:22 AM.

#11 Guest_Abbeys Mom_*

Guest_Abbeys Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

HUh??i just asked a simple question ..... stickpoke.gif dunno.gif

#12 Guest_Paula_*

Guest_Paula_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Here is the link about the kids passports..Information on kids passports

and the fees for passports is: Canadian Passport Fees

hope this helps Mary!

#13 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(ladygodiva70 @ May 26 2009, 11:21 AM) View Post
from the CBSA website:

"Upon full implementation of the U.S. WHTI on June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under will only be required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or a citizenship card, when entering the United States by land or water. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

Since January 31, 2008, and until May 31, 2009, Canadian citizens aged 18 and under are only required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or a citizenship card, when entering the United States by land or water."

However, if you plan on flying, everyone, including children must have a passport:

"Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following valid documents:

a passport; or
a NEXUS card when used at a kiosk at designated Canadian airports and at all U.S. airports when returning to Canada.
This requirement applies to all travellers, regardless of age, including children."

thankyou-rose.gif

QUOTE(Paula @ May 26 2009, 12:04 PM) View Post
Here is the link about the kids passports..Information on kids passports

and the fees for passports is: Canadian Passport Fees

hope this helps Mary!

thankyou-rose.gif

Thank you both for the information and the links smile.gif

#14 Guest_ladygodiva70_*

Guest_ladygodiva70_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

YW smile.gif

#15 Guest_Paula_*

Guest_Paula_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Your Welcome! smile.gif we should probably ask to have this pinned for future reference??

#16 Guest_Abbeys Mom_*

Guest_Abbeys Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

ok --i will pin it girlies and thanks for the info ......smile.gif cheerleader.gif

#17 Guest_MysticMom_*

Guest_MysticMom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

Adults are 87 dollars I believe, the kids are 37 each I believe.

I got my kids their's just in case, I know they do not need them.

#18 Guest_K.CRST_*

Guest_K.CRST_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Very true, that is what the paper states that we got from the customs officer at the border.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca...l.aspx?lang=eng

Canadians travelling to the United States

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a US law that requires all travellers, including US and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States.
By land or water

As of June 1, 2009, under the WHTI, if you wish to enter the United States at its land or water crossings, you must present one of the following:

* A valid passport;
* A NEXUS card;
* A Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
* An enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card.

At land and water crossings, Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under will only require proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

Edited by K.CRST, 26 May 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#19 Guest_mommybeer_*

Guest_mommybeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(TRACY @ May 26 2009, 10:18 AM) View Post
But then why when a friend crossed the boarder last week was she reminded by customs to get herself and the children their passports or they would not be able to enter the states?

Why would the custom officer say this if it was not true?

maybe cause she didnt have 1 yet herself.

#20 Guest_Gillian_*

Guest_Gillian_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(TRACY @ May 26 2009, 10:08 AM) View Post
I was told that children will need a passport to enter into the states but do not need one to come into Canada. So I will have to get one for myself and both girls. I really need to get moving on it lol

No they don't. We are over there every week with Noah and they just need the birth certificate. Unless they are over the age of 16 smile.gif

#21 Guest_macksgirl_*

Guest_macksgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Gillian @ Jan 17 2010, 01:43 PM) View Post

No they don't. We are over there every week with Noah and they just need the birth certificate. Unless they are over the age of 16 smile.gif

I wish I would have known this, you know how hard it is to get a passport photo of a 5 week old with his eyes open? LOL

#22 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(macksgirl @ Jan 17 2010, 01:53 PM) View Post

I wish I would have known this, you know how hard it is to get a passport photo of a 5 week old with his eyes open? LOL

You are flying, though, and every passenger on an airplane needs a passport. The kids don't need one if they are traveling by car.

#23 Guest_Mom123_*

Guest_Mom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

We finally got our passports. I had been putting it off filling out the applications. I'm so happy that I finally got them done. I also got the kids there that way I don't have to worry about getting them done later.

Maria

#24 Guest_macksgirl_*

Guest_macksgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Attached Amber @ Jan 17 2010, 05:26 PM) View Post
QUOTE(macksgirl @ Jan 17 2010, 01:53 PM) View Post

You are flying, though, and every passenger on an airplane needs a passport. The kids don't need one if they are traveling by car.

Actually you don't need one if its just a domestic flight, but I was told by the airline that I would need one to cross the border with him. They said birth certificate was fine for flying, and since I booked my flight with my married name,and my passport still has my maiden name, looks like I'm using my DL & BC to fly.

#25 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Every flight I've taken in the last 18 months has required me to use a passport, but maybe it was just the airlines I flew with. I couldn't even check in and get a boarding pass without my passport, then had to show a passport to get past security, then had to show a passport when I actually boarded the plane. However, I'm willing to concede that perhaps that was unique to the different flights I was on. When I flew about 15 months ago I booked the flight in my married name and my passport had my maiden name. It was fine as long as I took my marriage license with me to prove that both names belonged to me. I didn't have my marriage license with me and almost was turned away. However, I was able to find other acceptable proof to show them, like all my immigration paperwork from immigrating to Canada. The other option would have been to purchase new tickets with my maiden name, which would have cost a lot of money.

#26 Guest_macksgirl_*

Guest_macksgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

That was from Spirit airlines, but I am bringing my marriage license with me just in case something like this happens. I shall let all know very soon!

#27 Guest_Kristi_*

Guest_Kristi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

Kids as far as i was told do not need one if they are under 16. They just need a birth certificate. But if they are flying they do need one
You can call 1-800-567-6868 if you have any questions

#28 Guest_Kristi_*

Guest_Kristi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Abbeys Mom @ May 26 2009, 10:40 AM) View Post

HUh??i just asked a simple question ..... stickpoke.gif dunno.gif

No kidding.....I sence a bit of annoyance in that answer by Missy77.....It was just a question...some people don't have all the answers....

Abbey....I posted a phone number for you...In case you have any questions...Hope this helps!!

#29 Guest_itsallgood_*

Guest_itsallgood_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

We don't have ours yet either
Can't afford it at this time

#30 Guest_dealingwithit_*

Guest_dealingwithit_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

we haven't any of ours yet either

#31 Guest_polarbear_*

Guest_polarbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

we gotta get ours this yr and Aaron`s........we decided that we are going to take a 2 part hopneymoon...one week just for us and one week with Aaron...... smile.gif

#32 Guest_macksgirl_*

Guest_macksgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

I just flew domestic in the U.S. and just for the record, you do NOT need a passport to fly domestic.

#33 Guest_Kay-Jay_*

Guest_Kay-Jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

We just got ours today! And it only took 9 days!