ACE - St.Clair College

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Ellivort_*

Guest_Ellivort_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know about a great program that I certainly wasn't aware of at St.Clair College.

A.C.E - Academic Career Entrance

Taken direct from the site:

This program is perfect for people who need the admission requirements to apply to a college program, to upgrade their workplace skills, or begin apprenticeship training.

These courses are at a high school level of difficulty and are used for entry to a college program only. They do not provide the learner with a Grade 12 diploma. Courses range from core math, communications, computer and self-direction, to physics, chemistry and biology. Students may select courses based on their needs.

This program is also an excellent way to prepare to write the GED and students are encouraged to take the GED test at the completion of the A.C.E. program. The A.C.E. program is recognized throughout the Ontario College system and a learnerís certificate is available.

There are no tuition or textbook costs associated with this program. Training support allowances may be available.

If you plan to go into anything at the college, but think your high school grades weren't high enough OR you didn't take certain subjects in high school OR have been out of school several years and feel you need a refresher before college, then this is a great program. However, it does not give you what you need for entrance to the University.

I had contacted the college about pre-reqs for Practical Nursing and was directed to this program last summer. What a life saver. I was planning on taking Pre-health science, which is a tuition program with book costs. The A.C.E program has easily saved me $3000.

Additionally, low-income learners can qualify for either a) Gas Allowance - a small amount to help with the cost of travel ( I spend about $60 in gas/month to go to the college and get a gas allowance of $40) b) Free Bus Pass for those who ride the bus

Benefits of A.C.E:
- FREE tuition and books - there is a $7 charge for a student card IF you choose to get one, but it is not compulsory
- Program and curriculum geared to getting you the knowledge you need to succeed in the college program you choose - no filler, great instructors
- Access to all college facilities
- Math, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English and Self- Management (which can be counted as an elective if your college program requires any)
- Free tutoring available
- Very accessible administration
- If you achieve grades in the A/B range you are almost guaranteed a spot in oversubscribed programs - because of the success of A.C.E grads they are prioritized above high school students (and A becomes and A+ a B becomes an A in terms of ranking applications)
- Geared to increase success in post-secondary

This is based on my experience. I've taken chemistry, biology, math through A.C.E and have found it to be very helpful. I did not have a problem despite not taking an science beyond Gr.10.

You can contact Holly DiLoreto - Program Coordinator - hdiloreto@stclaircollege.ca to discuss registration for Spring. Holly is very approachable and helpful!

Here is the link: http://www.stclairco...ms/postsec/ace/

Hope this helps some of those who are considering going back. A.C.E is a great place to start. There is also a CEP program i believe for people without a high school program, but i don't know anything about that aspect.

#2 jcs mom

jcs mom

Platinum Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

thanks i will pin this topic for future reference.