Opinions on daycare in Windsor-best sources?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itchykitty_*

Guest_itchykitty_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

Not sure if there is already a thread on this or not, but how did you go about choosing your daycare provider and what is the best way to get some opinions on what is available in Windsor.

My husband wanted me to go back to work at 9 months. Obviously I want the whole year. My solution was to get my husband to take care of the day care arrangements, knowing that he would not get around to it, and I could probably buy myself another 3 months. Our DD is 3 months (he's done nothing) and now I'm actually worried that I've left it too long and won't be able to go back when I want to, or have to send her some place that may be a bit dodgy.

Any advice?

#2 Guest_Spanky2_*

Guest_Spanky2_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

I think the best thing to do is talk to other mom's you trust and find out what they are doing. Also consider the rules of the daycare (pick up/drop off times, penalties, paying for holidays, vacations etc.). You also might want to consider if it's a unionized environment, as in the event of a strike you would be left scrambling for care. Although the city's daycares are closing there are some privately run daycares that are unionized.

I did a homeday care that I heard about through a friend, then moved on to a more structured daycare centre at age 2ish. Then a pre-school program at age 3. I believe there are openings at most places in the City, so I think you still have time.

#3 Guest_terbear_*

Guest_terbear_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

You need to sit down and write out your MUST have wish list for the type of provider you want. Infant spots are hard to come by at daycare centres. Most daycares do not even provide infant spots because their ratio numbers have to be so high that it makes infants less profitable. So you will need to consider your 9 month (or year old) baby will be hard to place in a centre. If you want a centre you need to call now and put your child on their wait list. I would do that at all the centres right now. You can always take them off the list.

For inhome providers you can take some more time to look around and put some feelers out there. Unless someone knows for a fact that they will have an opening they will not hold a spot that far in advance. I went through that when looking for my dd. I interviewed in home providers when she was about 3 months but none of them would guarantee her a spot forecasted 9 months ahead. It did allow me to really know what I did and did not need/want from a provider.

Call a bunch and get a feel for them. I prepared open ended questions that had no right or wrong answer and really listened to what they said. Since they had no real answers I was gaging the personality fit more then anything. I needed to know that person would mess with our family.

There is a child care corner on this site with loads of great information. Supermel was a fantastic resource for me and I can't thank her enough for all the help she gave me while I was looking.

#4 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

With a working mom prespective, you have to find one that will correspondance to your work schedule.

#5 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

Feel free to give me a call smile.gif I belong to a local support group for in home daycare called the Home ChildCare Provider's Network. We have a new website... www.hcpnwindsor.weebly.com and it has some information. I am happy to chat thru some pro's and con's of licensed centre base care, licensed home based care and unattached home childcare with you and can give you some contact names (not referrals) of any names our group may have in your area. Finding centre based care for infants is very difficult as the spaces are limited to 10, if they even offer it, and most of the city based daycares are closing by September. My # is 972-8121 and I'm happy to chat daycare with you smile.gif good luck! It is such a stressful process! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the compliments Teri smile.gif