2000 AD: "That antibiotic is artificial, eat this root."

#2 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

I agree to an extent. But lets face it, modern medicine decreased deaths across the board. We would die off much faster and more painfully without our modern day drugs. Just look at how they did it before! lol

Though I think its awesome to use natural remedies where possible, for sure!!

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

That's funny keegs, too true sometimes!

#4 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

LOL
I think it is definately debatable about modern medicine. Some would say modern medicine is keeping us sick

#5 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

LOL
I think it is definately debatable about modern medicine. Some would say modern medicine is keeping us sick

Yes, and then those same people could turn around and make a mint selling highly questionable and completely unregulated remedies.

#6 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Not as much of a 'mint' as big pharma makes raping everyone and spreading 'pandemic' propaganda to push their own agendas

#7 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Not as much of a 'mint' as big pharma makes raping everyone and spreading 'pandemic' propaganda to push their own agendas

Oh to be sure - pharmaceutical companies aren't in it for altruistic purposes, but there's no point in fooling ourselves about those making money off "alternative" therapies either.

#8 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

((wiping water off screen from spewing mid drink)) Well said!!

#9 Guest_newagemum_*

Guest_newagemum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm a big advocate for using natural remedies in conjunction with conventional meds, finding a doctor that is on board with this is also nice. Mia's ped is awesome when it comes to this, but lets face it, without meds, a lot of us would be dead, including my daughter.

#10 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

I like it Aubry, good post, true too!

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Mainstream meds have their place for sure, as do natural. Nowadays it's "buyer beware" with both I find as even natural product makers are trying to turn big bucks in sales (not all, but many, and many use false claims or exaggerated claims to draw people in).

A lot of the time the simplest solution is living healthier to begin with so we don't get sick. When one of my family members or I do get sick I try to let the body heal itself if possible or go for a "natural" cure if possible, but sometimes prescribed meds are needed.

#12 Krys0218

Krys0218

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

((wiping water off screen from spewing mid drink)) Well said!!

**giggle* You have a way with words. Well said. I think modern medicine has it's place; no doubt about that. Big pharma companies reek of corruption, for sure, but sometimes I have to cave. However, you can bet I'll try natural remedies first. I also don't go running to the store for the latest and greatest natural remedy; we make our own from real ingredients whenever we can.

Aubs, love the post!

#13 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

The worrisome thing about Natural Remedies is they are pretty much completely unregulated.

I believe that even in the line of natural remedies there is a lot of lies and pushing of their own agendas. Just look at all the weight loss crap, all the colon cleansing "natural" which could lead to some scary consequences.. I think even that industry is tainted, unfortunately. Everyone is more concerned about the money, more than the person.

#14 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

What I don;t get is that folks worry about natural remedies being unregulated but don't think much about injecting something that has been tested on a very small, controlled group of 'sweet' participants for a few weeks at best and then said to be 'safe'. But they worry about popping a garlic capsule?? Makes me scratch my head

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Who's worried about popping a garlic capsule? It IS scary that no one is regulating these things! They could put ANYTHING in there and sell it off as something else. That's a concern to me.

I wont debate vaccinations with anyone here, anymore. Its a dead end issue. Its just arguing back and forth. I am pro-vax and I have complete faith in "injecting" my kids with the routine vaccinations according to the schedule. I'd do it with my own two hands if it were allowed. I have injected vaccinations into people, and I will continue to do it too, without so much as batting an eyelash.

#16 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

Then don't use them

#17 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

I do use some, but they are from a more source that I trust. The issue is people just use stuff and trust that it is what its supposed to be, and that isn't necessarily the case at all.

#18 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

My point is that just because some regulatory body deems it as 'safe' doesn't necessarily mean it is true. Fluoride has no value and is a known neuro-toxin but because some body said it was safe back in the day it is now being pumped into our water system.
Vax is a whole other issue that I have no wish to debate

#19 Guest_bellasmommy_*

Guest_bellasmommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I do use some, but they are from a more source that I trust. The issue is people just use stuff and trust that it is what its supposed to be, and that isn't necessarily the case at all.

Meh, the same can be said for "mainstream" meds as well. Just because something is regulated doesn't mean it is safe...look how many drugs get pulled off shelves or take a look at the number of class action lawsuits against drug companies that claimed their stuff was "safe". How many people accept drugs from their doctor without knowing what it is for, what is in it and what the side effects are...in the end it is all about research!

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

You are right.. I agree. That being said, its at least in place to HELP it be safer, or pull it more quickly when its not. I'd love to see Natural Therapies be regulated. Do you know Naturopaths are not even regulated in Quebec? That's scary to me too!

#21 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Most people that I know who use natural and alternative treatments are WAY more researched than the ones who pop every OTC med available.

#22 Guest_newagemum_*

Guest_newagemum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Most people that I know who use natural and alternative treatments are WAY more researched than the ones who pop every OTC med available.

Well then I guess I would be in your so-called minority. I am well versed on natural therapies AND conventional meds and happen to pop BOTH.

#23 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

If natural medications were regulated in the same way as mainstream meds, you'd likely see a lot less avail., not necessarily because they aren't safe, but because the hoops the manufacturers would have to jump through wouldn't be worth it or would dilute the efficacy of their product if they couldn't use the best ingredients due to regulations. In all cases, prescription, OTC, or natural meds should be a case of "buyer beware".

#24 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think its very judgmental to assume people who pop OTC medicines don't know what they are taking. I only take Advil OTC and BC pills. Not much mystery there. Although I am pretty sure I'd qualify as knowing a lot more about OTC meds than the average person..

I think its very judgmental to assume more people who pop OTC medicines don't know what they are taking. How would you even begin to know that for certain?? I only take Advil OTC and BC pills. Not much mystery there. Although I am pretty sure I'd qualify as knowing a lot more about OTC meds than the average person..

#25 Guest_Jennw3_*

Guest_Jennw3_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

I said "most" people, not all. If you research your OTC meds, safe to assume I'm not talking about you. :)

Edited by Jennw3, 15 June 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#26 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

But even "most"?? Is that not an unfair assumption?

#27 Guest_Dana_*

Guest_Dana_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

:dead horse :dead horse :dead horse

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

:stickpoke

#29 Guest_Dana_*

Guest_Dana_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

*sigh*

Jill, it's :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

#30 Guest_lasergirl_*

Guest_lasergirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

I'd say most is a fair assumption. Most people take Tylenol for pain, but have no idea what the side effects or potential risks are of taking it.

#31 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Most is a fair assessment ime. Most parents I know who use mainly OTC remedies as opposed to natural don't research the OTC stuff and they also tend to give it more often than parents who use natural rememedies. My mom argued with me about giving kids under 12 pepto-bismol even though it said right on the packaging not to give it to kids under 12 because of the risk of Reye's Syndrome. I know parents who start giving their children OTC stuff as soon as their child gets a runny nose.

I also know parents who will blindly give anything to a child if it is "all natural", so it isn't a bash against those who use more mainstream remedies. Parents who are "all natural" and those who are more "mainstream" can both go blindly into things, but ime, usually it is the parents that don't use as many natural remedies that often give stuff more blindly. As with any generalization though, it doesn't mean everybody does, just most ime.

#32 Guest_bellasmommy_*

Guest_bellasmommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

But even "most"?? Is that not an unfair assumption?

To be fair she did say most she knew! I know that a lot of people I talk to do not research their meds...some can't even remember the names of the meds taken daily prescribed by their doctors :(

#33 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

:stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

My bad!

#34 Guest_Lina_*

Guest_Lina_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

i think both have a place in the world and both should be researched before taking.

#35 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Totally agree, Lina!