4 replies to this topic

#1 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

I condensed these down from other posts and have indicated the author of the suggestion:

• Make sure that you get to the sale allowing plenty of time to set up your table(s) in an organized manner Ė check your contract for the times for set-up and opening of sale.
  • Come prepared! Bring enough grocery bags (Zellerís, Zehrís) to put the items in that you sell.
  • Come with plenty of fives, toonies, loonies, and change. It is your responsibility to have change for your customers.
  • When you get there, go to the Welcome table (you have to check in here before you start to unload), they have a map of the whole arena and can show you where your table is. They will also give you sellers tags to pin on your shirt. There are maps around the building too so you can find it. All of the tables are numbered so it makes it easier. Also, if you need more help a lot of us will have our M2M name tags on, just look for one of us, or ask the volunteers. = TakeAByte
  • Donít leave your money accessible to the general public. A hip bag is a good idea since it has more than one compartment and it goes wherever you go.
  • Clearly label each item with price AND size. It also helps to sort your items by size. Making a sign to let the public know what size and sex of clothes you have will make things go easier.
  • People generally won't sort through piles of stuff...make it easy for them to find. If you have everything priced and sorted at home it helps a lot. The best thing to do is to pack your stuff into your totes by the piles it will be on your table. I like to tie my piles up (in the size category I plan to use) so that they don't fall over and get mixed up. Also makes it easy when I set up my table. I suggest no more than 10 items of clothing in each pile. You want to make a pile that won't fall over too easily. Expect to spend the whole day refolding. If you don't want to refold, use baskets (I get mine from the dollar store) or small boxes to categorize your stuff. Not too many in each basket/box...treat it like a pile. = Elaine
  • Make sure that your items are CLEAN. Try to get all stains out. If there is a problem (zipper needs replacing, etc.) you should make sure that is known. It is the responsibility of the buyer to check it out, but if you are up front and let them know, they will know that your table is a reputable one. If you are selling large items, make sure you clean those also - people are more likely to buy an item that looks newer, rather than one where they would have to clean up before use.
  • Make sure that your two & three-piece items are connected together by safety pins or a single run-thru with needle and thread tied off will do the trick.
  • If you have a clothes rack, make sure that it is secure so it wonít fall over if buyers push the items from one end of it to the other. At one sale, a lady put a few socks full of sand over the bottom of the rack to make it more stable.
  • I would also suggest that you make the best use of the space under your table as well as organizing the things on top. You could use large totes placed upside-down to prop up some items. I've even brought shoe racks and closet organizers to use as shelving for displaying. The easier it is for people to see, the more likely they will be to pop by and take a look. = Karen
  • You will be offered a lower price at one time or another. It is up to you if you want to bargain. You do not have to take anything less than you want. But remember you are reselling used items and will not get retail price for them.
  • If you have items under the table, make sure that they are accessible and easy to see.
  • It is a good idea to have a helper at your table at all times. Basically, for one of you to be at your table(s) during pre-sale to sell your items while the other gets to shop. Also, throughout the day you may need to take a quick break and it isnít the organizers responsibility to watch your table. And, if you get busy, itís nice to have extra hands helping.
  • If you are not willing to barter on the price, post a sign that all ďprices are firmĒ. On the other hand, if you are willing to barter, you may want to put up a sign saying "no reasonable offers refused". Many people wonít even consider going down in price for the first hour or two. Itís all up to you. After all, itís your table.
  • If you are sharing a table with someone else, make sure that you have different tags to collect as you make the sale to assure both parties get their rightful monies.
  • There will be refreshments at the Bake Sale available for purchase. But itís always a good idea to bring something to drink and/or a small snack.
  • If at all possible, do not talk on your cell phone while the sale is underway. Nothing says ďrudeĒ more than someone ignoring you as you are trying to ask them a question.
  • You need to be at the sale with your items until the end of the sale. NEVER start to pack up more than 15 minutes prior to the end of the sale. The organizer has advertised that the sale will be open during those hours. After all, if you go to a local store and their hours state they will be open until 9, you expect to be able to shop right up until 9. Some of your best customers may come to the sale at the last minute!!

RELAX and enjoy yourself Ö a SMILE sells a lot more than a frown ! ! !

Post from elainesj ~ Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:36 PM
Thanks Stacey!!! This list will be invaluable to some sellers.
My main comment is to reiterate Staceyís final tip....SMILE!!! If you frown, look bored, are too busy chatting to someone else, look unhappy, it is too likely the shopper will bypass your table in favor of someone else.
You don't have to be annoying...just smile and offer your help f needed. I like to ask what size they are looking for and point them to the appropriate section of my table. if they just want to browse, back off...but be available. People are more likely to buy from people who actually look interested in selling. ~ E

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:42 AM

Great tips. Thank you for posting!!

#3 MichelleBondy

MichelleBondy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

I hope this isn't a strange question, but I'm wondering if the smaller mom2mom swaps are just for selling clothes or do other people set up booths for things like photography? I am going to get a both for the expo in April, but I'm just wondering if I could also have a booth for my business at the smaller ones? I hope this makes sense! Thanks.

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

I hope this isn't a strange question, but I'm wondering if the smaller mom2mom swaps are just for selling clothes or do other people set up booths for things like photography? I am going to get a both for the expo in April, but I'm just wondering if I could also have a booth for my business at the smaller ones? I hope this makes sense! Thanks.

We do have businesses that come to the Mom2Mom sales. The spring Mom2Mom sales will be announced in January in the e-newsletter as well as on the website. There is a separate registration form for businesses.

#5 MichelleBondy

MichelleBondy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

We do have businesses that come to the Mom2Mom sales. The spring Mom2Mom sales will be announced in January in the e-newsletter as well as on the website. There is a separate registration form for businesses.

Thanks Lisa!