15 replies to this topic

#1 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

Ugghhh. Of course I'm watching more tv now that yds is here. I haven't watched A Baby Story or Bringing Home Baby since ods was born. I'm disappointed that it hasn't improved.... It's still full of unnecessary interventions, csections and formula feeding. It would be great to see ONE family get adequate care and support! Gah! Why do I watch it?

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

I know. It's so awful. And the moms who do have a natural birth or breastfeed, they always portray them as freaks. annoying.

#3 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

its weid becuse it goes through good and bad days
i wach it with mel
its our nap time show LOLOL
love seen homebirths and more water births
make up for the dislike onese

#4 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

its weid becuse it goes through good and bad days
i wach it with mel
its our nap time show LOLOL
love seen homebirths and more water births
make up for the dislike onese

Really they show home births?

#5 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I have seen alot more natural births but not alot of succesful BF stories.

#6 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

I saw a natural birth once on Birth Day-- it was at a birthing center to boot!

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Keep in mind most of the episodes that play during the day ARE old.. some 6-8 years old. I agree though, they definitely don't seem to be stressing breastfeeding of emphasizing natural birth...though I think that's totally up to mom, if she wants that epi, there is no, I mean absolutely NO shame in that.

I always think of the moms around here when they supplement for jaundice. I will be flamed perhaps, but I have seen formula work a lot faster to cure jaundice, and avoid more hospitalizations, which in turn can help limit infection risk, etc, etc. Whether its a "better" approach is not what I am saying, necessarily.. only that it gets it out of their systems quicker and more efficiently.

ETA: Birth Days seems to be a lot more natural in their approach than Baby Story.. though the I have seen natural deliveries on BS and I don't always find they show them as crazy people? Some are very nice stories, actually.

Edited by ~Jill~, 02 November 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#8 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm watching Baby Story again. Another pet peeve: The moms are always shown laying there writhing in pain. Someone needs to tell them to get their asses out of bed because it will help with the pain.

Oh, and the doctor just said that they were going to encourage an epidural because the mama "is not looking happy" LOL No shit she's not looking happy. She's in labour!!!

#9 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

BHAHAHA! I was watching that too today. And thinking the EXACT same thing. GET OUT OF BED! oy.

#10 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

i must be the odd one out, lol
i dont look to much into it i guess. just the end result.
I dotn see all the negativity.

you also have to remember its only 1/2 hour.lolol

only thing that ever bothered me was the "ohh BF is just to hard"" i dont make enough"
ya well its gonna be hard and you wont make enough... if you expect to get more than 3 hours sleep in the 1st week or so..lolol

If they made my birth with DD into a baby story. It woudl be gastly.lolol
It was not pretty at all. no doc interventions I might add, and was on my feet for 80% of it..
but still gastly. Not sure anyone woudl have watched it. Untill the 15 minutes of pushing in that end. That was pure bliss..lol
and My little miss of course.

#11 Raja

Raja

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

Since I've been pregnant I've been watching it everyday. So for about 2 weeks I've been watching it along with I didn't know I was pregnant tv show.

#12 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

The show bugs me too, but I don't blame TLC or the show itself. They don't editorialize - they just film documentary style what these women/families go through. I don't doubt that lots of people are still ill informed about their birth options, and I also don't doubt that medical professionals push c-sections and interventions, but it isn't up to TLC to intervene in these people's lives. They're just there to film.

#13 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Yes, but TLC surely interviews them prior to signing them on about their intentions around the birth. Many are planned csections, planned voluntary inductions, and planned epidurals. They sign on a disproportionate number of families that plan on interventions.

#14 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

I'm watching Baby Story again. Another pet peeve: The moms are always shown laying there writhing in pain. Someone needs to tell them to get their asses out of bed because it will help with the pain.

Oh, and the doctor just said that they were going to encourage an epidural because the mama "is not looking happy" LOL No shit she's not looking happy. She's in labour!!!

Gah! I was watching one today at a hotel and the kids were with me so I told them that it wasn't accurate because women having babies move around a LOT and the lady was upset because she was laying down when she needed to walk, LOL! I can't remember the last time I watched it before today because you'd think I'm watching a sporting event the way I yell at the screen. ;)

#15 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I get irritated with that show all the time. The doctors all seem to push an epi right away as soon as the couple walks through the door and don't even give these woman the opportunity to progress naturally. I also hate how everyone on that show seems to have problems breastfeeding so they HAVE to use formula. Really, you can't breastfeed??? How the hell did all those woman do it before formula was invented?? I think I only remember seeing one episode where the couple had a lactation consultant come in because they really wanted to breastfeed. Def. needs to change and not be so one sided.

#16 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

i must be the odd one out, lol
i dont look to much into it i guess. just the end result.
I dotn see all the negativity.

you also have to remember its only 1/2 hour.lolol

only thing that ever bothered me was the "ohh BF is just to hard"" i dont make enough"
ya well its gonna be hard and you wont make enough... if you expect to get more than 3 hours sleep in the 1st week or so..lolol

If they made my birth with DD into a baby story. It woudl be gastly.lolol
It was not pretty at all. no doc interventions I might add, and was on my feet for 80% of it..
but still gastly. Not sure anyone woudl have watched it. Untill the 15 minutes of pushing in that end. That was pure bliss..lol
and My little miss of course.

"only thing that ever bothered me was the "ohh BF is just to hard"" i dont make enough""

Tell me about it! On bringing home baby, the women sometimes say that and after 2 days of breastfeeding of course you are not making enough cause your milk is not even in yet! lol It can take awhile to get your milk supply going. bf'ding is not easy, but well worth it.