emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

I found this article interesting:

CP Article

My kids have both had chicken pox, as have I, but it's troublesome to know that the chances of people developing a case of shingles, especially at a young age, is likely higher now that cp vacc is so widespread. Apparently being re-exposed to cp makes it less likely to get a case of shingles down the road, but because vaccs are reducing the incidence of cp in kids, people who have had cp aren't getting re-exposed to it as much. Chicken Pox is no walk in the park for some people, but from all I've read, it's much less painful and has less chance of causing life-long problems than shingles does.

#2 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

:goodpost

#3 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Yep, it's true - chalk one up for the law of unintended consequences. Turns out you need regular contact with infected people to maintain immunity, whether you received the vaccine or contracted chicken pox in the usual way. The vaccinated people are OK - it's the people who have already been infected who run the biggest risk from the lack of regular outbreaks.

I suppose regular booster shots would help, and wouldn't you know it, that sells more vaccine...

#4 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

WOW!! Very interesting!! Thanks Wendy!

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

The vaccinated people are OK - it's the people who have already been infected who run the biggest risk from the lack of regular outbreaks.

Hey Don, do you know why this would be? Wouldn't those who receive the vaccination need to be periodically exposed too to keep up their immunity levels?

I have a feeling that we will see a shingles vaccination rolling out within the next few years to combat the increased shingles case levels.

#6 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

Its all about the Pharacutical companies making money.

#7 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

There is already a Shingles vax in the US I am almost positive.
My GP told my Mom the same info-- that occasional exposure is a good 'booster' for her

#8 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Sorry, I should clarify - everyone would need to weigh the possibility of getting boosters. No type of immunity is proven to last longer to the best of my knowledge.

The reason shingles is showing up in the unvaccinated cohort is because they were infected with the live virus which went dormant within their cells. The vaccine uses a supposedly "de-activated" virus, though there have been reported cases of shingles it.

Long story short, regular exposure to the virus (by booster or by sick kids) is the best way to maintain immunity.

I'm not sure how a shingles vaccine would be different from the current chicken pox shot? It's the same virus, after all.

Edited by Outnumbered, 04 November 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#9 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

I so regret giving my kids this shot big time....

#10 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

I so regret giving my kids this shot big time....

Could I ask why? The article cited stated that hospitalizations for chicken pox complications were way down since the vaccine was introduced, and the cohort at risk for shingles is the unvaccinated one...

#11 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

I agree how would that work? Would it be able to work itself into the nerves to kill what is dormant? Weird.

#12 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

This is what I have been saying in my mind for awhile-- the CP vax doesn't isn't the same as actually getting the pox. I can't see how it would provide the same immunities. And really- we know that you need a booster- so what happens to the adults who don't keep this up?
I'll still take my chances on natural immunity

#13 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

Can you find the actual research behind this article. I'd be very interested in it.

I didn't do this vax with T but I do like to read research papers regarding vaccines.

#14 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

i can tell you why i regret giving this vac to my ydd. she did get shingles 10 days after the vac. It is something that no one let alone a child should have to deal with. She is now 5 and has had shingles 3 times. when she comes in contact with someone who is contagious (with the pox) she doesn't get the pox- she gets shingles. it is painful for her and we must keep it covered- for instance when she had the first bout of shingles it was on her forearm. and at the end of june - she had to wear long sleeves and covered with a gauze wrap- and it isn't like it goes away in a week- it was around 13 weeks - imagine a child's arm burning and hurting for 13 weeks and you can't do anything to help......

i do know of a child who passed away from complications of the pox (they were healthy before them) that is why i got this for my daughter.

#15 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

I opted not to do the CP vax for my girls... much to my own mother's dismay... but it stems from being a believer that natural immunities are much better and longer lasting than man-made immunities.... I know the risks for each side, and felt this was the better option for my family...

#16 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

i can tell you why i regret giving this vac to my ydd. she did get shingles 10 days after the vac. It is something that no one let alone a child should have to deal with. She is now 5 and has had shingles 3 times. when she comes in contact with someone who is contagious (with the pox) she doesn't get the pox- she gets shingles. it is painful for her and we must keep it covered- for instance when she had the first bout of shingles it was on her forearm. and at the end of june - she had to wear long sleeves and covered with a gauze wrap- and it isn't like it goes away in a week- it was around 13 weeks - imagine a child's arm burning and hurting for 13 weeks and you can't do anything to help......

i do know of a child who passed away from complications of the pox (they were healthy before them) that is why i got this for my daughter.

Poor little one :( There can be risks either way, so try not to feel bad. That's what's so tough for me with vaccs is that either way there are clear pros and cons. Some other things for me are black and white, but vaccs were and still are a tough decision for me.

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Can you find the actual research behind this article. I'd be very interested in it.

I didn't do this vax with T but I do like to read research papers regarding vaccines.

I found this and this.

#18 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Did you get her reaction into VAERS? You don't need to be a doctor to report an adverse reaction.

#19 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

I found this and this.

Thank you!

#20 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

I found this and this.

Thank you!

You're welcome :)

#21 Guest_Amanda_*

Guest_Amanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

I dont personally believe in the vaccine, I think its another way to cause even more problems, I wouldn't be surprised about the shingles, the vaccine could be cause some kind of mutation which leads to shingles and possibly even more complications in the future. My daughter had chicken pox over the holidays she came down with shortly after christmas, she was most likley exposed to at her montessori another child had it before the holidays, she over came it with no complications, her spots are pretty much gone. I dont know since when is chicken pox dangerous, I would say maybe when there is another underlying condition, which I would say in my niece's case, we had my cousins over for the holidays from england their baby girl who turned a year on christmas also came down with it a few days after they returned to UK, we expected as she was sharing a room with gracie, even though we seperated them after gracie came sick but that isnt too late arleady, unfotunally at the same time she recently just got diagnosed with leukemia on January 10th which had caused some minor complications as her system is already low which in turn they caught it on time. Last I heard she over came the chicken pox and is now able to start her chemotheraphy treatment. I think it really is important to look at your kids and situation and look into it before you get it don't just buy what the doctors and infomaricials tell us alot of times these are false advertisement and money making, its better to be safe and sorry. Myself I am glad gracie got the pox now its one less thing to worry about her having any complications the shot may have caused.

#22 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

I worry about my ods. I don't really see the need for the Chicken pox vaccine in most situations but ods has complex needs and when he was younger him getting pox absolutely would have been disastrous for him so we got the vaccine. But now I worry because I don't want him to catch it(or develop shingles) as an adult if his "immunity" wears off. I need to research this more.

#23 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear that..but I cant help but be devils advocate.... the vaccine may not have caused this....it could simply be the way her body handles the chicken pox virus and if she would have gotten it naturally she and still will get shingles every single time she is exposed.... sorry I dont want to be rude or anything...just something to think about.

I got DD the vaccine...mainly b/c the job I was working at my boss was a dick and if she would have gotten chicken pox I had no way to take the time off to take care of her, nor the family and friends that could have taken care of her.... I need my job and I know it would have been illegal for him to fire me over this....he would still find a way to get rid of me..esp since he changed my shift b/c I called in sick a few days b/c DD was so sick.

Other then that I am pro vaccinating...esp the older ones that have been around for many years...I know companies are constantly researching them to make them as safe as possible...and we see the benefits from these vaccines... The newer ones I would rather wait a little and let them catch up on the research. I believe a lot of companies pressure things to be marketed faster then they should be and may jump the gun a bit with how safe they are....I am not saying they arent safe I am just saying I myself want more time and research. Plus something that is not life threatening for the majority of the population...like the flu... is something I would like to let my body handle naturally.

#24 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I had CP already and as immune (tests run at each of my pregnancies)
and i still got Shingles..after dd as born.
If your gonna get it.. your gonna get it..
I oudl just prefer to get the old normal ones. ratehr than the ones that are shoign up now . There are a gazzilion virus out there that casue POX liek spots... "shingles is very differnt and runs along a nerve line> you ont get it "all over.

Im on week 4 of a wonderful virus that last 6-8 weeks of "WELTS" "Pityriasis Rosea" just as bad as chicken pox in the itch department
I am covered from jaw line to mid thigh. + add to that im 30 weeks prego.. its loads of fun...
They cant keep comign up ith vax's or more and more of theses mutated thinsg ill keep showing up and more often..

so now that i haev gone on..if its not one thing its another.. I do worry for my DS who has extreme eczema(but i still never got him the vax), but for the rest of it i just look at it like a "thign you get"..

#25 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I had that (Pityriasis Rosea) when I was in high school..I was told that sunlight helps to get rid of it...but mine werent really that itchy...just annoying having it for so long...esp when in high school and I was supposed to be in gym class swimming.....ug.

I also had whopping cough which is pertussis in grade 5...I am thankful I was vaccinated against it b/c it cut the severity down greatly...there were three of us on my street that all played together that got it.... so I made sure DD gets that one b/c even a mild case is not fun.

#26 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

If i coudl get my son just the MUMPS shot I would...
I hear that soem people dotn get itchy with (Pityriasis Rosea) while some do.. mine are itchy at certain stages of the virus.. 3 stages, but as i keep getting more each day its alwasy itchy..lolol
+ the fact that my tummy is Gigantic,... well im sure you get the picture..lolol