15 replies to this topic

#1 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

Talk to me about selective and delayed vaccinations.
What vaxes do you refuse? Delay? Why?
Do you have any good resources on the subject?

#2 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

We delay and selective vaccinate. I love The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears..excellent, non-biased, in depth look at vaccines, though it is geared more towards American vaccines. If you have any questions you are welcome to pm me :)

#3 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

I've heard good things about Dr. Sears. There is also a good one by a local lady- Diodati I think is the last name. I think you can get it at the library- out of print to buy new I believe. Mothering.com is a wealth of info as well.
Nate had all of them up to a year and then we stopped (no CP or MMR). Nora has not had any at all

#4 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

Dd was vaxed up to 6 mths. and then we stopped. Ds has not been vaxed at all. If my kids wouldn't have naturally contracted chickenpox by age 10 I likely would have got them that one, but they both caught it a few years ago. I'm 99% sure dd has had rubella, but I will have the doctor check her titers when she's older and if she isn't immune then she can decide whether to get the vacc for it or not. If I lived on a farm I'd probably get the DTaP one.

When I did my research on vaccinations it was quite a while ago, so I don't have links to give you, but I did find Dr. Sears book helpful. There are a lot of books on the market, but most are very clearly either pro or anti vaccination. Dr. Sears' book seemed to be quite balance. He actually seems to lean more toward giving most vaccinations, but he does suggest delayed schedules and doesn't shove vaccinations down your throat.

I have "Vaccination: The Issue of Our Times" by Peggy O'Mara. It's more anti-vaccination, however I also felt it was fairly balanced. What I really liked about this book is that it gave a lot of stats on vaccination complications, disease rates, and disease complications. I'm sure some of it would have changed by now because I bought the book back when dd was a baby, but it would still help give you a picture of risks vs. benefits.

#5 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Missy was vaxed to a year
Ds stopped after the 1st set. then at age 2 i got him and missy the tetnus (DTAP). As she was startign school
sure do with i coudl ahve had it sepearate.
Thast it,

next one will only get the Dtap or tetnus (if available) once mobile and gettign into things outside.

#6 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

ds was fully vaxed except for flu
dd is selectively vaxed. (no MMR or CP or Flu)
I chose to selectively vax because of the bad reaction ds had to MMR. It was to scary to risk on another child

#7 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Beware, some PED's will NOT keep you as a patient if you do not vax.
Kassas is one of them. But you can negotiate a small delay.
I opted to delay all of the first year vaxes by 3 mths because I felt
dd was too young to start them at 2 mths and so much of her brain
still developing. After that, I'll take each one as it comes for researching.

Edited by Rebekah, 14 November 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#8 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

I've heard good things about Dr. Sears. There is also a good one by a local lady- Diodati I think is the last name. I think you can get it at the library- out of print to buy new I believe. Mothering.com is a wealth of info as well.
Nate had all of them up to a year and then we stopped (no CP or MMR). Nora has not had any at all

Catherine Diodati still sells her book...she is VERY informed about vaccinations and in fact she can answer questions with regards to homeopathic vaccines. She actually is an energy/reflexologist/massage therapist...highly recommend her! :D

#9 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Yes- but it is not available in book stores. You can contact her directly to buy it

#10 girlinterrupted

girlinterrupted

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:18 AM

Does anyone know any doctors in Windsor that are pro delayed vax??

#11 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Dr. that would be 'pro' delayed vax. I just always say that I am delaying while I do more research- even though I have no intention of any further vax's for my children. Except possibly CP when they are older if they haven't contracted it naturally at that point. Still unsure on that.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

I don't know any doctors that are pro-delayed vaccination, though others might. My doctor fully believes in vaccinations, but she doesn't harass me at all about my vacc choices, but she isn't taking new patients. I don't know if you'll find a pro-delayed vacc doctor, but it is nice to at least have a doctor that is okay with a parent making their own educated decision on them.

#13 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

My Dr was and is good about delayed vac and supported me 100% I delayed every vac with DD but with DS only after a year ( i didn't really know i could until then). I delay as I feel that it's too much for a small child to get vac at such a young age but i do believe in vac'ing (IMO) as I have two that have low immune systems

#14 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thank you all. I need to make a decision on this in the next couple weeks so I'm finally starting my research. I bought the Dr. Sears book, but can't find Vaccination: The Issue of our Times. It seems to be out of publication.

#15 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

my kids are way behind..
my Ods is 6 and still needs his booster
my dd is 4 needs her booster
and Yds is 2 and still behind his 18 mths ones...
I do completely think its in my kids best interest to get them, just a bit behind...

#16 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thank you all. I need to make a decision on this in the next couple weeks so I'm finally starting my research. I bought the Dr. Sears book, but can't find Vaccination: The Issue of our Times. It seems to be out of publication.

I can lend you the second book for a while if you'd like.