65 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

I hesitate to post about snow because I feel like the forecast is always changing, but it looks like we could be in for a fair amount. Scroll down to the long term forecast. Only 5 cms for today, but Tuesday, etc.

http://www.theweathe...eather/caon0759

I know you Northern people think it's nothing, but it could be our first somewhat substantial snow fall! I'm looking forward to it, I know a lot of you would probably dread it!

Edited by ~Jill~, 28 January 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

FFS! We've had about more than I care to have in the last couple of weeks. Why wasn't I born in Florida?!?

#3 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

FML!

#4 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Booooooooooooo! hope they are wrong!!

#5 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Bring it!!!!

#6 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Well I was going to go get my car washed but I think I will wait now. Last wk I washed it and then it got nasty and totally wasted a car wash.

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Yay!!!!! I hope we actually see the amount called for.

#8 jkellerman

jkellerman

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

This is why I have three different weather apps on my phone...b/c they are always so different from each other! I usually take an average, or best 2 of 3! LOL

Check this weather, nothing like the weather channel says http://www.accuweath...&metric=1&set=1

#9 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Its kinda funny Jill, on the long term for Tuesday it says scattered flurries, but yet 20cm snow fall.. so which is it lol...

30 cm of snow from tuesday to wed.. Windsor better call in the army!!

#10 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well if that is the case, I better go invest in some really good winter boots and a pair snow pants for myself ;) Either way I don't mind the snow, it is the freezing cold weather I can't stand!! Snow can actually be a lot of fun...now I want to go tobogganing and snowmobiling!!!

#11 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

looks like I will be sending the kids outside! lol thay love it. I hope its good snowman making snow. :Holidays_smilie_schneekugel1[1]

#12 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Great.

As long as it comes after the weekend I don`t care. We are moving this weekend..but the kids are supposed to start their new school on Tues lol

#13 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Urgh....

Driving to T.O monday, driving back wednesday and catching a flight (to somewhere sans snow) Friday a.m. As long as it doesnt interfer with any of the above, fine - snow away.

#14 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Doppler 7 says Winter Weather Advisory so I'm not going to get angry just yet :)

#15 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Well if that is the case, I better go invest in some really good winter boots and a pair snow pants for myself ;) Either way I don't mind the snow, it is the freezing cold weather I can't stand!! Snow can actually be a lot of fun...now I want to go tobogganing and snowmobiling!!!

Yeah i dont love snow, but i can tolerate it. I just hate when its really really cold.

#16 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

UGH. I don't mind snow, but I have an hour commute on a normal day, so when it snows during rush hour it takes me forever to get to or from work, makes me late for picking my kid up from daycare, etc.

#17 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

I hate it because I still have to go to school regardless, so it ends up costing me money, and it's not like I can enjoy the day with C.

#18 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well, at least we get to have a large rodent tell us next week whether there is a month and a half of winter or 6 weeks. LMAO!

#19 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Well, at least we get to have a large rodent tell us next week whether there is a month and a half of winter or 6 weeks. LMAO!

Isn't a month and a half, 6 weeks anyways?? lol

#20 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Isn't a month and a half, 6 weeks anyways?? lol

Yes...I have always laughed at how people fail to comprehend this. The "long" winter is another month and a half. The "Short" is 6 weeks. UM......where is the difference? LOL. That and as far as I know, the seasons are based on the sun and earth movements.....there is no changing the date it comes.

Anyway......

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Its kinda funny Jill, on the long term for Tuesday it says scattered flurries, but yet 20cm snow fall.. so which is it lol...

30 cm of snow from tuesday to wed.. Windsor better call in the army!!

I was just saying to my dh that the heavy snow has 3 little snowflakes, and less than 5 have 5 snowflakes. I don't understand their system. lol Unless they are implying that by that day the forecast will have changed to flurries only.. heh

#22 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

maybe most of it is going to come later in the day on Tuesday? If we are supposed to get that much snow on Tuesday, it should have 5 snowflakes and say SNOW not scattered flurries!! We will have to keep our eyes on it lol and see if it changes!
I have a training course Wed afternoon , and of all days for the snow to come lol!!

#23 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

NOOOOO MORE!!! especially not those days. big day wed and it would really screw up all my arrangements!!

#24 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

FFS! We've had about more than I care to have in the last couple of weeks. Why wasn't I born in Florida?!?

This is what i keep saying!! I was born in the wrong country!!

#25 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

It is sounding more and more likely that we are going to get a good dose Tues night into Wed!

#26 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Well out of the whole week, the day that I could miss if necessary is Wednesday, so that's good at least.

#27 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'm flying out on Friday so this gives them 2 days to clear the roads and runways!

#28 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Weather network still says light flurries for both days.. but for accumulations they have 15-20 for Tuesday and up to 5 on Wednesday..

I wish they would get their story straight.. is it light fluries, or heavy snow???

#29 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

I'm flying out on Friday so this gives them 2 days to clear the roads and runways!

where the hell are you going, and why wasn't *I* informed???

#30 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

:cray

#31 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

I was going to ask the same thing??????? WTH?????

#32 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Meteorologists are starting to gain a clearer picture of the major storm set to hit eastern Canada Wednesday.

There was some initial uncertainty about the track for the “Groundhog Day Storm,” but it now looks likely that every major city from Windsor to Kingston will see at least 15 cm of snow Wednesday, says Rob Davis, a meteorologist at The Weather Network.

“It's almost a guarantee it'll be more than 15 cm - it's just a question of how much more,” he says.

Some areas could see up to 30 cm.
Toronto hasn't seen more than 20 cm of snow at once in nearly three years. Snowfall totals of more than 20 cm have been virtually unheard of in Toronto in recent years; the last time the city had a major snow event was on Feb. 6, 2008, when 30.4 cm fell.

The first wave of the storm will hit Tuesday, bringing just enough snow to make the workday commute a nuisance.

But that's just an appetizer compared to the monster main course that will arrive overnight on Tuesday.

Commuters could wake up to 10 cm of snow on Wednesday, with more expected to fall throughout the morning.

The system will taper off by Wednesday evening, but don't expect a smooth drive home, Davis cautions.

“If you made it to work, you're going to have a bit of a rough commute getting back,” he says.

A band of freezing rain associated with the storm could graze the southernmost tip of Ontario, but most of the freezing rain will affect the northeastern United States.

The storm will push into Atlantic Canada for Thursday, leaving cold temperatures in its wake.

However the numbers play out, Davis says the storm will be one to talk about.

“We're going to get quite the storm.”

For more details as this storm develops, be sure to check your local forecast.

You can also sign up to receive weather updates and alerts on your mobile phone.

#33 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

Dd has Tuesday off(exams are done). If we get the amount they're calling for i won't drive on Wednesday. She may get 2 days off. Do the city buses run regularly when we get bad storms?

#34 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Dd has Tuesday off(exams are done). If we get the amount they're calling for i won't drive on Wednesday. She may get 2 days off. Do the city buses run regularly when we get bad storms?

yes the city buses do
if we do get that much snow the school buses wont but since she takes the city bus she wont have the day off she wont miss much as its the first day of the new sememster but since its the first day she would miss going to them kwim

i hate having to drive in all that snow but at least i am working afternoons wed and i only take main roads so hopefully the roads will be clear

#35 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

I'm supposed to drive to Comber for a training on Wednesday, if thats the case, I'm not going. No way on Earth I'm dirivng 45 minutes on the 401 in a snow storm.