#36 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

ugh! I just want to hibernate!!

Last report I heard was that by Tuesday night it will be coming down at a rate of 1-2cm per hour and with blowing winds, it will be (or will be close to) blizzard conditions!!

Shoot me now!!

I told the kids not to expect to be going anywhere on Wednesday!! But I worry about DH getting home from work Tuesday night (he's always on afternoons and not out of work until about 10!!)

#37 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

I work afternoons as well. I drive home at 12:30. Hoping it's clear enough. I have some lieu days I may take if it's too bad. I'm not scared of driving in it, I'm more paranoid of getting stuck somewhere.

#38 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

Im not sure what the fuss is about.Been through a hundred blizzards,and snow as high as your waist.Windsor is the biggest snow letdown capital of the world.
The only thing I fear is how crappy people drive here when there are 5 flakes falling...LMAO

#39 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Windsor actually had more snow last year than London. Weird, I know. Must speak volumes for how much London had. But I do think this one will happen, because instead of the usual serious decrease in the predictions, they are actually holding steady or increasing.

Seriously though, why does everyone say it's nothing? I get you are from the North and you have regularly seen a lot more, but this is a lot for here. Even Toronto hasn't seen over 20cms in 2 years, so really..? And not all of us are complete idiots on the road. Some of us actually know what to do with ourselves out there.

#40 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Windsor actually had more snow last year than London. Weird, I know. Must speak volumes for how much London had. But I do think this one will happen, because instead of the usual serious decrease in the predictions, they are actually holding steady or increasing.

Seriously though, why does everyone say it's nothing? I get you are from the North and you have regularly seen a lot more, but this is a lot for here. Even Toronto hasn't seen over 20cms in 2 years, so really..? And not all of us are complete idiots on the road. Some of us actually know what to do with ourselves out there.

Not everyone is an idiot driving in the snow..only some..LMAO
No..for here its a lot,but every time they say a storm is coming..it doesnt.All this letdown gives me a complex

#41 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

OY!! It's kind of insulting to hear CONSTANTLY, huh?? I seriously get irritated when I see/hear the Northerners giving Windsorites shit about being nervous or whatever for big storms. To US it IS big!! We're not used to a lot of snow!! THIS ISN'T THE NORTH!

GAH!

ps - I think I'm pmsing.

#42 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

Latest Update from Wunderground....

Severe Weather Bulletin
issued by Environment Canada
at 10:47 am EST Monday 31 January 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Watches/warnings in effect for southern Ontario...

Winter Storm Watch for:
=new= City of Toronto
=new= Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent
=new= Sarnia - Lambton
=new= Elgin
=new= London - Middlesex
=new= Simcoe - Delhi - Norfolk
=new= Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand
=new= Oxford - Brant
=new= Niagara
=new= City of Hamilton
=new= Halton - Peel
=new= York - Durham
=new= Huron - Perth
=new= Waterloo - Wellington
=new= Belleville - Quinte - Northumberland
=new= Kingston - Prince Edward.

..major winter snowstorm Tuesday night and Wednesday..

this is an alert to the potential development of dangerous
winter weather conditions in these regions. Monitor weather
conditions..listen for updated statements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==Discussion==
a major winter storm is developing over Texas and will track towards
southern Ontario Tuesday. The low is expected to track just south of
the lower lakes Wednesday.

Light snow will begin in advance of this system tonight and Tuesday.
However the heavier snow is forecast to begin Tuesday night and
continue Wednesday morning. Potential widespread snowfall amounts of
20 to 30 cm are likely before the snow tapers off Wednesday
afternoon.

In addition strong and gusty east winds will develop with the snow.
This will cause local whiteout conditions in blowing snow. The east
winds will also generate local snow squalls off Lake Ontario in
advance of the main snow area which will give enhanced snow amounts
to regions near the west end of Lake Ontario.

This will be the first major winter storm of the season for the
Toronto area, and the most significant storm of the season for many
regions outside the traditional snow belts. The heavy snowfall and
blowing snow will cause whiteout conditions making for extremely
hazardous driving conditions. The public should be prepared to
change plans accordingly to avoid travel during the storm.
This storm has the potential to create near-paralyzing conditions.

Environment Canada continues to monitor this dangerous winter storm
and will issue further watches and warnings as necessary.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details.

#43 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

for us here in the "banana belt of Canada" this has the potential to be a MAJOR storm... and we're just not used to getting a foot of snow all at once.... one newscast gave estimates of Tuesday night coming down at a rate of 1-2 cm per hour with heavy winds = blizzard! For us, that's highly unusual!!

regardless of being used to this kind of weather or not, everyone just has to make sure they have the necessary supplies, and try to avoid being out in the storm.... if you must be out in the storm, make sure your car has a emergency kit, and lots of extra blankets... make sure your battery in your cell is charged up... that you have a full tank of gas... and that someone will know where you're going, and when you expect to be there.... drive slow, and give others around you lots of space... and most importantly - take your time!!

If we all just take a moment to help our neighbours, we won't have any problems!!

#44 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Im not saying it isnt big..
well depends on how much we get.. if we get the 10cm, thats not HUGE.. but if we get the 20 cm's that is alot of snow for this region.. I really dont think we will get the 30cm, I believe that is more for the snow belts.

And I am being totally honest to say that Windsor cant keep up to that much snow.. It will be days before some of the side streets get plowed.

#45 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Bring it...better the snow now then torrential rains in the spring...we need the water our lake levels are low.

All i did was switch the Jeep for the car that way if I get hit by some moron driver it makes less of a dent in the Jeep then the car...LOL

I dont love the snow..but I really dont care...I hate the wind that cuts through you....leave that out and snow is fine...LOL

#46 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

I hope if it does come that it is a BIG TIME STORM. Make it so bad everyone has to stay home. Now that would be awesome!! If its just enough to be a pain then I am not interested.

#47 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

I hope if it does come that it is a BIG TIME STORM. Make it so bad everyone has to stay home. Now that would be awesome!! If its just enough to be a pain then I am not interested.

thats the problem though nothing ever gets shut everything down everyone still has to go to work whether they want to or not
its always only enough to be a pain

what kills me is they say if you dont have to go out then stay home yet everything is still open so you have to go to work

#48 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well if we get what they say we are 15 inches in the 2 days you can bet school is canceled in the county.

Better call the army in this area..............

I love to watch a good snow storm kids LOVE em too.

Edited by ~Tracy~, 31 January 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#49 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Side street don't even get cleared unless it meets a certain criteria. There has to be a minimum snow fall and the forecast of more to come.

We live on a busy street, it's plowed a lot during the storm. Pretty annoying actually, because then it leaves that blocky/heavy snow blocking our driveway, and it's hard to move it!!

#50 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I remember them shutting windsor down once, about 17-18 years ago for snow.

#51 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

dang why couldn't it be tonight so I wouldn't have to teach in front of my class tomorrow lol
I just want the power to say on so we dont freeze here! Other than that it is all good as long as I am inside

#52 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

if to is going to snow it needs to actually snow enough to shut some things down.

#53 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Storm update:

(WXYZ) - 48 HOUR FORECAST

This afternoon: Clouds return and cold - Highs: 13-19 / Wind: NE 5-10

Tonight: snow likely after midnight, about 3" for Detroit, less north & higher south - Lows: 15 to 20

Tuesday morning: slick roads for morning commute as snow winds down - Temps: 15 to 20

Tuesday afternoon: cloudy, cold but mostly dry - Highs: Lows 20s

Tuesday night after 8pm-Wednesday before 10am: heavy snow likely, blowing & drifting, thunder possible - 10"-15" possible

TRICKY TUESDAY MORNING COMMUTE

Over the next couple of days we'll experience a one-two punch of winter weather. The first is a burst of snow that will fall overnight tonight and early Tuesday. A quick 3" (could be higher south of I-94) accumulation prior to the Tuesday morning rush hour will make for messy roads and make getting around the area difficult. Another inch or so of light snow will fall Tuesday during the day, ahead of the more potent snow producer.

POWERFUL WINTER STORM EYES SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN

The Doppler 7 weather team advertised winter storm potential days ago, and since then numerical forecast guidance has persistently shown a powerhouse winter storm that will impact a LARGE portion of the central/eastern United States... including the ENTIRE WXYZ viewing area. We're fully expecting upgrades to Winter Storm and/or Heavy Snow Warnings soon.

PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL FORECAST

Late Sunday weather models have not wavered from placing a " significant" snow band (10"+) across southern Lower Michigan, central/northern Ilinois & northwest Indiana Tuesday night into Wednesday. The exact location of this heavy snow is subject to change depending on storm track, and it's possible that a period of sleet and/or freezing rain may approach areas south of I-94. But f or now the viewing area is firmly within a high zone of impact . Our current storm snowfall forecast is for 10"-15", but higher amounts are possible.

DANGEROUS TRAVEL

As the storm's center nears Lower Michigan and intensifies, 1"-2"/hour snowfall rates will develop late Tuesday night & early Wednesday... when thundersnow will be possible. Snow rates of this magnitude, combined with blowing/drifting snow will likely cripple road travel over most of southern Lower Michigan.

Be aware that heavy snow potential and significant icing (along I-70 corridor) exists for the entire Great Lakes/Ohio Valley regions. Significant travel impacts (both land & air) across much of the midwest are likely.

#54 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Urgh....

Best it looks like just when I want to leave Toronto mid-afternoon Wednesday to drive back to Windsor, I'm prob going to be in the midst of the TO dumping then backtracking thru it all. PLEASE keep that 401 clear!!! :(

#55 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

I love how all you hear is, "Stay home! Driving will be treacherous! Don't drive if you don't have to!" and every company that I have ever worked for has always blown that off and required us to show up for work. Apparently the freaking world would end if we paper pushers didn't show up to enter data into spreadsheets.

#56 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, our work says they will only close if the local authoritize ask to.

#57 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

yep i will have to be at work as well

#58 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

OY!! It's kind of insulting to hear CONSTANTLY, huh?? I seriously get irritated when I see/hear the Northerners giving Windsorites shit about being nervous or whatever for big storms. To US it IS big!! We're not used to a lot of snow!! THIS ISN'T THE NORTH!

GAH!

ps - I think I'm pmsing.

I'll say it to you and I'm not even from the north. (Well technically I am - Sarnia - but we didn't get much more snow than here) People here freak out for no reason. It is always the impending doom. And most people can't drive in bad weather - rain, snow, or otherwise. That's how I see it. The storm that is coming is nothing to freak out about. I hope all the freaked out people DO stay off the roads so I can still get my shit done without worrying about people who can't drive in it.

#59 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

Most people?? Come on now. There are some out there that make us look bad, FOR SURE, but to say MOST people can't is a gross exaggeration, IMO.

You know how negatives can overshadow positives and make it look like it's all you see? That what I think happens here. Most people are just fine. Perhaps a little slow for my taste, but careful and in control.

Maybe some people think YOU are the one who can't drive. lol You never know!

#60 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

I feel like there is varying degrees of "freak out" when you're told that road travel will be "nearly impossible" and that we will be facing "blizzard conditions" and "do not drive." There are the people who are like, "You know what? Going to work today or running my errands are not worth spending hours on the road or potentially getting stuck or hurt. I think I will hunker down today." And then there are the people who flock to the grocery stores and clean them out of bottled water, batteries and produce because SNOWMAGEDDON IS UPON US. Really? You don't think that you're going to be able to survive two days in your house before you can get back on the roads again? Come on, now.

#61 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

Most people that I see. That doesn't necessarily mean most.

And if people think I can't drive in it, then that's out of my control. But I've managed to drive in an ice storm and through Michigan during a bad winter storm while other people are found in ditches and such. And unless I do it purposely, I don't go spinning out of control turning corners and such. You know how many people I witnessed doing just that during the last snowfall. People just don't know when to brake, when not to brake, and when not to step on the gas. Unless you've been taught, you aren't magically going to know this.

#62 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

I feel like there is varying degrees of "freak out" when you're told that road travel will be "nearly impossible" and that we will be facing "blizzard conditions" and "do not drive." There are the people who are like, "You know what? Going to work today or running my errands are not worth spending hours on the road or potentially getting stuck or hurt. I think I will hunker down today." And then there are the people who flock to the grocery stores and clean them out of bottled water, batteries and produce because SNOWMAGEDDON IS UPON US. Really? You don't think that you're going to be able to survive two days in your house before you can get back on the roads again? Come on, now.

lots of times they say this but it never happens i do take precautions but dont get worked up about it as more often than not they just scare people for nothing

#63 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

honestly I see alot of people who drive around in old balding tires that are half flat.. You cant drive properly in snow if your car isnt prepared for it. Decent tires are a must.

#64 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

honestly I see alot of people who drive around in old balding tires that are half flat.. You cant drive properly in snow if your car isnt prepared for it. Decent tires are a must.

not only that they try to drive the same way as when there is no snow
speeding passsing tailgaiting then wonder why they end up in a ditch

#65 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

not only that they try to drive the same way as when there is no snow
speeding passsing tailgaiting then wonder why they end up in a ditch

This is true!!

Oh and add in the white out conditions , man oh man.. I sure wouldnt want to be driving down those county roads with ten foot ditches on either side!

#66 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Gee, I need to find someone to buy me new tires....