32 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

Do you prepare when adverse weather conditions are in the forecast?

My mum called today and reminded me to get some extra wood for the fire and some easy to eat food items just in case we lose power. I lol'd, but then it got me thinking... the news is really playing up this snow storm and it makes you wonder how prepared would you be if we had a storm like the one in Quebec in '98.

How many days could you go without power or heat???

WWUD?

#2 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

I went 4 days with out running water and power a few years ago from an ice storm.. I had a wood stove, so I still had head and could cook on it etc.

I have stalked up on milk and bread etc, we have tons of flashlights and batteries so I am not too worried about it.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

All I can say is the power better not go out. All our eat is electric we will freeze!

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have two gas fireplaces one downstairs so I think we'd be ok I can just open the door to where all the pipes are. I'll just make sure I take a nice shower before it starts to fall just incase ;) and I have lots of Culligan too... now TV on the other hand... and Computers... the children MAY have to be hospitalised after for withdrawls LOL!! I better make sure the ipods are all charged up... I dont' know how long I can go without my audiobooks... I might have to actually READ!!!! My god!! lets all pray the power stays ON!!!!!

#5 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

:hysterical

#6 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Since I doubt this is snowpocalypse ..weve got our love to keep us warm!HA

#7 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

we would go to someone else's house-lol.

#8 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I dont prepare!!! As long as our power stays on we're all good, if it does go out, we will go some place where the power is not out. This isnt the end of the world lol. But I will be saying FML FML FML FML FML!!

What does FFS mean????

#9 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I dont prepare!!! As long as our power stays on we're all good, if it does go out, we will go some place where the power is not out. This isnt the end of the world lol. But I will be saying FML FML FML FML FML!!

What does FFS mean????

For F%^&** sakes.. LOL

#10 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

What does FFS mean????

For F%^&** sakes.. LOL

Ohhh FFS how stupid of me not to realize it meant for fk sakes lmao :lol
Thanks!

#11 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Well I don't believe the snow will even hit us - I hope it does but I don't believe it will. Media loves to hype

We have emergency supplies (candles, flashlight, batteries etc) that we have well stocked and on hand for general emergencies.

I was sitting here trying to remember what we did that time the power went out for days during the ice storm. I honestly cannot remember - I know we didn't have anywhere else to go so we must have made do with what we have here.

I went today and got our weekly groceries instead of waiting til tomorrow. If we get snowed in we have everything we need.

#12 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

we would go to my mil if it got cold she has a fire place. we have plenty of pro-pain so we could cook. we would do well if we lost power for a few days.

Edited by Outnumbered, 31 January 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#13 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

i guess nothing, since i didn't even know we were expecting a storm until 15 minutes ago.
if we lose power i suppose we will go to my Mom's, but that is the extent of my thinking ahead & prep.

#14 nainai0510

nainai0510

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

dh has a heater for his garage, so we would bring that in. otherwise we'll wait it out at home with a ton of blankets ;)

#15 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

we would go to my mil if it got cold she has a fire place. we have plenty of pro-pain so we could cook. we would do well if we lost power for a few days.

cook?! what's wrong with you!? it's called PB&J!! LOL

#16 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

We like to have salt all the time and know where the shovel is and they key for the shed if the snow blower is needed.

Not worried about much as I have most things gas. So we will still have heat and I can cook.

#17 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

im heading to traceys.lolol

#18 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

We are good, tons of bottled water, we have gas heat, can make it go on without hydro, we have tons of food, but that never lasts more than 4 days here lol
So bring it, just anxious to see it.... don't tease us, bring it.... I have awaited a good storm..... and hope it does come but admit would like to keep my hydro though lol

#19 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

to those saying they will go to someone else's place if they lost power/heat.... you may want to have some other back up plan in place... even on the low end of the forecast for snow we're supposed to get, roads will be a nightmare (especially side streets) and wind will be blowing up near-whiteout conditions - so travelling (even short distances) is really not a good idea....

worst case scenario - we lose power - I've got plenty of candles and blankets ready... we will hang some large blankets over the doorways to isolate just the living room, and we'll all huddle down in there, sharing body heat :)

ETA - remember that even with gas heat, if there's no power, you may not be able to even turn your furnace on!!

Edited by cbarker78, 31 January 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#20 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

dh has a heater for his garage, so we would bring that in. otherwise we'll wait it out at home with a ton of blankets ;)

how does it work? If it is gas powered do not bring it in the house, it needs proper venting and could harm you in the house. Now if it is electrical..the power will be off, silly!

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

We have propane in the BBQ so we'd be ok for a few days for food, but we wouldn't have any way to heat the house..

#22 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

we're supposed to be getting 30 cms where we are and all i'm worried about is getting to an appointment on wednesday morning. beyond that, i think is blowing it WAY out of proportion.

#23 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm not doing anything differently. Firstly, we never get what they predict. Secondly, if we do, I will be happy. We haven't had a decent dumping in years around here and nothing happened then either.
As for the power going out, not too likely for many of us in towns/cities. The reason they lost power in Ontario and Quebec was because their power is still run through above ground power lines and the ice was too heavy and pulled them down. My parents "lived" through it with power as their lines are underground.
I say bring it on. Everyone stay safe.

Lisa

#24 cheesecake

cheesecake

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

We always have an emergency kit with three days worth of food/water/supplies.

#25 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

packed a bag for my daughter and myself just incase it ends up being safer to stay over night at my parents instead of driving home.

#26 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hmmm... I wonder how much juice the furnace blower needs? If it's under 150w I could probably rig up an inverter to the car...

#27 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

We'd be quite unprepared and inconvenienced if this storm is as disastrous as they are making it out to be. Wed is our 'get everything done' day. Since its the only day DH and i both have off togehter. So we're currently low on everything. Might have to make the trek out tonight when DH gets home at 8, just to make sure we have the important things if this storm hits hard.

#28 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

I have a little food right now (between pays and my ahead stock is used up after BF being laid off for 2 mo). But, I have a propane stove, a propane BBQ, Lots of blankets, enough food for at least a week (with "rationing"), Candles and a freezer in my unheated garage that almost never turns on right now (Food would stay frozen for a couple weeks likely). With snow around to melt if we even lose water.....I could "last" indefinably. I could even go into the unheated garage and fire up the wood stove out there (after putting freezer outside LOL)

It would not be comfortable or convenient but, "survival" would be easy.

#29 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Yes very prepared as I know what it's like to live in the middle of nowhere and have no power or heat and no way out. That ice store in 98 hit Muskoka hard and we where with out power for a week and out chickens almost froze to death. It was almost two weeks before we saw a plow and sander but where able to use other modes of transportation the week after. Since then I have a box with all thing that we might need. I change to box every season to be prepared for the worst.

#30 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

I also just realized we have a genny too even! We'd have to share with our landlord next door but, we could run basics.

#31 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

What exactly is there to prepare for? We aren't getting much snow.

#32 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

What exactly is there to prepare for? We aren't getting much snow.

Not that I think we need to prepare for too much but what exactly do you consider much snow. Even with the least amount of 6-10 inches that`s a lot of snow all at once. (Considering where we live that is! ;) )

#33 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Maybe 2-3 feet. Constant white out conditions. A severe ice storm. We MAY get more than what Windsor is used to, but it almost certainly won't be enough to bring the city to a halt. That's the whole point. People are preparing like we are about to become a war zone.