9 replies to this topic

#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Windsor Police are reminding residents to be careful after a man died on the weekend after clearing snow. Police were called to a home in the 14-hundred block of Hickory Road Saturday morning around 11 o'clock. The 64 year old man was in a bedroom with no vital signs. The man's wife said when she left the home that morning there was snow on the driveway, but when she returned the driveway was clear and she found her husband had passed away. An investigation found that after clearing the snow with a snow blower, the man suffered a heart attack. Windsor Police say given the approaching snow storm this week, people should use caution when shovelling or clearing the snow.

#2 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Very sad, prayers to the family.

I am so glad my dad has a snow blower.

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Snow blower or snow shovel, elderly people should not be doing their drives. Where are their kids??? So sad :(

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

It can affect anyone. Younger ones too. That said, my 13 year old does the shoveling and we always make sure we do the elderly neighbours too.

#5 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

This is how my great uncle died last January. He shoveled the snow in Kitchener and when he was done, he went to have a seat in the living room, told his wife that he wasn't feeling well and died of a massive heart attack!! Our 12 and 10yr old shovel and will be going to the elderly couples to do theirs for them too. And the guy across the street who took a bath with his computer's house too!!

#6 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

a bath with his computer?

#7 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

a bath with his computer?

Yeah, he fell asleep with his computer while taking a bath, it's a long strange story for sure. But he's got some brain damage now so I'll send the kids over to shovel for him.

#8 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

This is one of the reasons I keep getting so peeved at the new snow plow crew that keeps covering our sidewalk (not just the end of our driveways and not a little bit but our ENTIRE double wide sidewalks when they plow). We clear our elderly neighbours snow for them - they are in their late 70's. This year with Coco paving it is driving us nuts. The road has been plowed and is clear so we go out and shovel our sidewalk and neighbours. A few hours later the plow goes by for the 100th time with the blade down, sparks flying on the part that is toward the middle of the road cause its CLEAR and then they push all the snow from the edge of road and they are going so fast they spray the entire sidewalk with that heavy, clumpy snow/ice. Of course it usually happens while I am out and I get back and find our neighbour trying to dig his sidewalk AGAIN cause we are on a school route and he is worried about the kids.

#9 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

Very sad, prayers to the family.

I am so glad my dad has a snow blower.

Read the article carefully "An investigation found that after clearing the snow with a snow blower" It can still be too much work for some people.

#10 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, he fell asleep with his computer while taking a bath, it's a long strange story for sure. But he's got some brain damage now so I'll send the kids over to shovel for him.

Omg that's awful!

I worry so much because my 70 year old inlaws insist on shoveling our snow a lot. They live around the corner and will literally sneak over at the crack of dawn and shovel the snow. I'm so scared something will happen to them, and have thanked them but asked them to please stop. They won't stop. They just get more sneaky. I am very thankful, it's very nice, but like I said I'm worried about them.