#1 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

UPDATE:

WINTER STORM ADVISORY CANCELLED - NOW UPGRADED TO BLIZZARD WARNING!! (this just keeps getting better and better!) **heavy sarcasm**

Blizzard Warning -- Wayne County
425 AM EST TUE FEB 1 2011 ...
BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * HEAVY SNOW...STRONG GUSTY WINDS...AND WIDESPREAD BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. * WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS WITH VISIBILITIES OF ONE-QUARTER OF MILE OR LESS DUE TO INTENSE SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW. * QUICKLY ACCUMULATING SNOW AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL MAKE ROADS VERY HARD TO CLEAR. * UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SLIPPERY...SNOWPACKED...AND DANGEROUS. * HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS MAY CAUSE POWER OUTAGES. * WIND CHILLS BETWEEN 0 AND -5 DEGREES ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT. HAZARDOUS WEATHER... * SNOW WILL SPREAD NORTH INTO SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN THIS EVENING AND BECOME HEAVY OVERNIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. * NORTHEAST WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING...CREATING AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND WIDESPREAD BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. * THE HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WIND GUSTS ARE EXPECTED TO COINCIDE BETWEEN 10 PM TONIGHT AND 10 AM WEDNESDAY. * HEAVY STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 10 AND 15 INCHES ARE EXPECTED. * WIND CHILLS BETWEEN 0 AND -5 DEGREES ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... * A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE. && $$

and here's the Cdn advisory:

Severe Weather Bulletin
issued by Environment Canada
at 5:21 am EST Tuesday 1 February 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Watches/warnings in effect for southern Ontario...

Winter Storm Warning for:
=new= City of Toronto
=new= Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent
=new= Sarnia - Lambton
=new= Elgin
=new= London - Middlesex
=new= Simcoe - Delhi - Norfolk
=new= Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand
=new= Oxford - Brant
=new= Niagara
=new= City of Hamilton
=new= Halton - Peel
=new= York - Durham
=new= Huron - Perth
=new= Waterloo - Wellington
=new= Belleville - Quinte - Northumberland
=new= Kingston - Prince Edward.

Major winter storm tonight into groundhog day.

Light snow in advance of this winter storm is moving across
southern Ontario this morning with some locales near Lake Erie
expected to receive 2-4 cm of the white stuff before tapering
off to isolated flurries by this afternoon. However heavy snow from
the winter storm will arrive in southwestern Ontario this evening
and quickly spread northeast to the greater Toronto area by shortly
after midnight and into eastern Ontario by Wednesday morning.
Widespread total snowfall amounts of 20 to 30 cm are likely before
the snow tapers off Wednesday afternoon in the wake of the storm
centre.

In addition strong and gusty east winds will develop with the snow.
This will cause local and frequent whiteout conditions in blowing
snow..resulting in near blizzard conditions at times.

Lake effect snow bands coming in off Lake Ontario in the stiff
northeasterly flow may dump an additional few centimetres of the
white stuff onto parts of the Golden Horseshoe around the west end
of the lake today. There is some potential for one of these bands to
intensify into a snow squall at times..with very low visibility
possible in bursts of heavy snow and blowing snow there today.

The snow may change to ice pellets and freezing rain for a while
tonight and tomorrow morning for regions near Lake Erie.

This will be the first major winter storm of the season for the
Toronto area..and the strongest storm of the season for many regions
outside the traditional snow belts. The heavy snowfall and blowing
snow will cause whiteout conditions making for extremely hazardous
driving conditions.

This major winter storm is quite large in size and will have a
major impact on travel especially tonight and on Wednesday.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions
are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather
conditions..listen for updated statements.

#2 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Since when is Windsor part of Detroit? You can't simply take Detroit's weather and apply it to Windsor because of the large bodies of water that separate us. The same applies to cities further inland from us who will suffer from lake effect.

On a side note, I hope we do get a f***ing blizzard.

#3 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

Since when is Windsor part of Detroit? You can't simply take Detroit's weather and apply it to Windsor because of the large bodies of water that separate us. The same applies to cities further inland from us who will suffer from lake effect.

Large bodies of water?? Is 1 mile of water seperating Windsor and Detroit considered a large body?

#4 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Detroit river, Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron... they all come into play when it comes to weather.

#5 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

if it is going to happen, it needs to really happen.
none of this 3 or 4 inches that just makes everyone miserable.
it needs to snow enough to shut the city down.

#6 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

Detroit river, Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron... they all come into play when it comes to weather.

really?? since when??

I've grown up watching Detroit Weather (Chucky baby on Channel 4) and he's always been spot on (...granted - for a weather guy)

I follow Detroit weather because I understand inches and F better than cm and C....

Lake St. Clair is still "north" of us... and Huron is far out there... Yes they come into play, if your listening to the forecast for Port Huron... but Wayne county/Detroit are 1 mile away and the Detroit River does not have that big an impact on the weather crossing over....

#7 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

If you have taken geology, geography, and/or any class that deals with weather, then you would understand. Air pressure and air currents come into play and bodies of water affect these. Detroit weather is hardly ever accurate when it comes to Windsor. Believe me, I play enough baseball in the summer to know that we seldom get the same weather that they do. The winter is much the same. You should only look at Detroit weather for an approximation - nothing more.

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#8 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

I find that alot of the times storms weaken coming across, or so it seems in the summer with the T-storms and Tornados etc..

Really there isnt that much difference between a snow squall warning and a blizzard warning. Blizzards just have higher winds.
We already had a Winter Storm warning, which sums it all up, and the winds were already excpected to be high so there would be white outs regardless of whether its a snow squall or blizzard. White outs are extremely dangerous to drive in, and most people from this region are inexperienced in them.. I have lived here 6 years and havent drove in one since moving here. I really hope people stay off the roads and keep safe we are in for a good one!

#9 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

really?? since when??

I've grown up watching Detroit Weather (Chucky baby on Channel 4) and he's always been spot on (...granted - for a weather guy)

I follow Detroit weather because I understand inches and F better than cm and C....

Lake St. Clair is still "north" of us... and Huron is far out there... Yes they come into play, if your listening to the forecast for Port Huron... but Wayne county/Detroit are 1 mile away and the Detroit River does not have that big an impact on the weather crossing over....

Same here.

#10 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

But she took Wayne County, which is very very close to us. I'd say it's a fair source to look at. We shall see what goes down.

#11 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

really?? since when??

Same here.

Same here. If you're talking about the weather between Detroit and Windsor, it's usually exactly the same. (I cross the border every day for work, and the weather is always the same when I enter the tunnel as it is when I exit.) However, there are other factors to consider when you're talking about other cities, like Kingsville, A'burg, Tecumseh, etc. I live in A'burg and the weather is often different than Windsor's. But then we are not across from Detroit - We're across from Trenton.

#12 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

People, if you don't understand anything about how bodies of water affect storms and precipitation, then you shouldn't be commenting.

Detroit and Windsor may appear to be the same, but most often they aren't. Storms ARE affected by the bodies of water that are around us. That's just the way it is - and yes, even that "small" river can play a factor.

#13 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

Oh okay, then. Let's see what kind of difference there is in snowfall between Detroit and Windsor tomorrow then, shall we?

#14 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

We shall. However, you do need to realize that sometimes we do get the same weather. Weather is hard to predict because there are so many factors that come into play.

#15 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

But you said that a person simply cannot apply Detroit/Wayne County's weather to Windsor's. And much of the time you can.

#16 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

I've ALWAYS found that more often than not, the Detroit forecast was spot on for us. But what do I know...

#17 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

The doppler picture does show the blue (severe snow fall) over Detroit, but only the outside white area (Heavy, but less than severe) over Windsor.

I do hope that we get hit, but I have watched several storms hit Detroit and leave us with only minor snowfall!

#18 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

But you said that a person simply cannot apply Detroit/Wayne County's weather to Windsor's. And much of the time you can.

And your point is?

I'm not saying that our weather is always drastically different. I'm saying that you can't use Detroit as a reference. Furthermore, how can people sit here and say that it is usually the same, when more often than not, ALL of Windsor does not even experience the same weather? Same goes for Detroit. People act like the weather is one huge cloud that just gives one large area the exact same weather conditions. This is utterly false. You can have a severe storm in one spot, where just a few miles away is experiencing sunshine.

I don't know why I'm even arguing with people who have clearly never taken a class about weather.

#19 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

And your point is?

I'm not saying that our weather is always drastically different. I'm saying that you can't use Detroit as a reference. Furthermore, how can people sit here and say that it is usually the same, when more often than not, ALL of Windsor does not even experience the same weather? Same goes for Detroit. People act like the weather is one huge cloud that just gives one large area the exact same weather conditions. This is utterly false. You can have a severe storm in one spot, where just a few miles away is experiencing sunshine.

I don't know why I'm even arguing with people who have clearly never taken a class about weather.

Maybe you should offer a crash course for us idiots, since you are so well versed in meteorology? :stickpoke

#20 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

People, if you don't understand anything about how bodies of water affect storms and precipitation, then you shouldn't be commenting.

Detroit and Windsor may appear to be the same, but most often they aren't. Storms ARE affected by the bodies of water that are around us. That's just the way it is - and yes, even that "small" river can play a factor.

lmbo!!

Did you even bother to ask - no you just assumed.....

I, for one, am quite aware how bodies of water affect weather...... You can see the effects the surrounding bodies of water (more so Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie - not really Huron) have on summer storms... the storms will be barreling down on us, and either dissapate at the water, or take a sharp turn and miss us completely.... I love the summer storms that suck up more energy (water) from the lakes and completely go right around us to both sides!!

In this case, the effect of the river on this storm is expected to be so miniscule.... so we'll get 11" while Detroit gets 12"... For me, while I don't subscribe to the "doomsday - storm of the century" theory, I do believe this is going to be a really heavy storm, the likes of which we are not accustomed to deal with around here (being the "banana belt of Canada, and all...) and that basic precautions should be taken - have candles/flashlights in case we lose power, change plans to not be out on the roads tonight, have a good shovel and lots of salt.... other than that, I see no need to stock up on food/water (unless you usually do your grocery shopping on Tuesday or Wednesday, then you should get it completed sooner)...

#21 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

And your point is?

I've seen that too.... walking down the street, it's clear on my side of the road, and raining on the other side of the street, less than 10 feet from me...

....but until the weather stations start giving us street by street forecasting, I'll stick with the biggest reference point.... I will typically get Windsor and Detroit forecasts, from their respective sources, and find that the Detroit forecasts are more often correct!!

#22 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you try to go by Canadian weather we get forecasts based on Kitchener and London readings. That is a LOT further off using Detroit.

YES, the lakes do affect the weather patterns. That is why it is so hard to accurately predict the exact path of any weather here. The lakes will cause weather patterns to shift a bit. In general though for a storm like this, that is half a continent wide, all the lakes will do is move it a few hundred miles one way or the other. The predictions are being made based on what may happen if the eye of the storm passes right over us. It could change but, we will still get quite a bit of snow from this.

This past year I have watched Canadian and American weather stations during all our "big" storms. The Canadian ones were never even close! Most didn't mention the tornadoes that happened. I know Canadian news did not have the one that nearly hit my house! I got to watch the clouds go over the River and yes the river did change it's course. The "projected path" on WDIV placed it literally right over my house. Instead if veered more toward A'burg. But,we are actually talking about a small weather incident and a small body of water. Downntown Detroit and Downtown Windsor almost always receive the same weather.

#23 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

lmbo!!

Did you even bother to ask - no you just assumed.....

I, for one, am quite aware how bodies of water affect weather...... You can see the effects the surrounding bodies of water (more so Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie - not really Huron) have on summer storms... the storms will be barreling down on us, and either dissapate at the water, or take a sharp turn and miss us completely.... I love the summer storms that suck up more energy (water) from the lakes and completely go right around us to both sides!!

In this case, the effect of the river on this storm is expected to be so miniscule.... so we'll get 11" while Detroit gets 12"... For me, while I don't subscribe to the "doomsday - storm of the century" theory, I do believe this is going to be a really heavy storm, the likes of which we are not accustomed to deal with around here (being the "banana belt of Canada, and all...) and that basic precautions should be taken - have candles/flashlights in case we lose power, change plans to not be out on the roads tonight, have a good shovel and lots of salt.... other than that, I see no need to stock up on food/water (unless you usually do your grocery shopping on Tuesday or Wednesday, then you should get it completed sooner)...

I assumed only based on the responses in this thread - and based on your previous response, you didn't seem to have a clue either. I'm not sure if you actually had prior knowledge, or if you decided to look it up since I posted.

#24 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I assumed only based on the responses in this thread - and based on your previous response, you didn't seem to have a clue either. I'm not sure if you actually had prior knowledge, or if you decided to look it up since I posted.

LOL!!

Nope... it falls in the "prior knowledge" category.....

...and remember "never assume. when you do you make an ass of u and me" LOL!!

Edited by cbarker78, 01 February 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#25 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Again, I didn't really assume. I posted based on what people had been posting. And based on that, nobody had a clue. I do find it strange how you suddenly displayed this knowledge - especially when you only mentioned the one body of water. And quite frankly, it appears as though it came from a textbook.

#26 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Again, I didn't really assume. I posted based on what people had been posting. And based on that, nobody had a clue. I do find it strange how you suddenly displayed this knowledge - especially when you only mentioned the one body of water. And quite frankly, it appears as though it came from a textbook.

...then I must take that as a complement.. especially from you :) it was always one of those odd-ball topics I always enjoyed studying, and seem to have retained most of it over the years..... and you wouldn't be the first to "accuse" me of writing like a textbook ;)

#27 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

Well most people seem to have slept through geography growing up. In high school, I took all the geography I could get. I was actually debating whether to continue on that path or go into computers. But then I figured there were more opportunities with computers. Even still, when I started at the university, I took a geology course and a cloud course as electives.

#28 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Cowboy From Hell posted Feb 1 @ 12:21 PM

This is exceedingly rude and totally uncalled for IMO. To assume that YOU are the only person on this forum who understand the lakes and how it affects our areas weather is completely ridiculous.

Taking geography does not make you a weather expert, I too excelled in geography and remember well all the lessons regarding the lakes effect on our weather conditions. I even did a project on it :) My brother and I were also required to take a marine weather course when we were both fourteen, does it make me an expert?? NOPE! However I also have a good understanding of our weather.

If you had taken the same marine course you would have learned that Detroit and Windsor typically experience the near same temperature (can vary by a couple degree) and precipitation. If Detroit is getting clobbered by a massive snow storm, than yes, Windsor will be getting that snow too. As for the rest of the county, wll depending on what direction the storm came from sometimes they get clipped, sometimes hit head on and sometimes not at all.

Now if you are talking comparing our weather to say Lapeer or Lansing or other upper areas of Michigan than the temperature and precipitation amounts will obviously be different.

Furthermore, channel 4 or 7 meteorologists both note the temperature and weather conditions in Windsor and sometimes Amherstburg, Sarnia and Chatham.

Most people in Windsor follow both local and Detroit forecasts.

#29 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

I haven't read the above posts but all I can say is it's winter still so we shouldn't be complaining that much as when it's hot we complain. BUT....if were going to get snow, we might as well make it worth it. (I also hope they close the college down tomorrow hehee, the university is already cancelled for tomorrow)

#30 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I haven't read the above posts but all I can say is it's winter still so we shouldn't be complaining that much as when it's hot we complain. BUT....if were going to get snow, we might as well make it worth it. (I also hope they close the college down tomorrow hehee, the university is already cancelled for tomorrow)

According to the Star (which I don't usually consult as a source. lol) The University MIGHT be shut down. I think anyone cancelling or shutting down anything at this point for weather that hasn't hit would be really bad planning. Being prepared is one thing. jumping the gun and making assumptions is another

http://www.windsorst...3257/story.html

#31 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

According to the Star (which I don't usually consult as a source. lol) The University MIGHT be shut down. I think anyone cancelling or shutting down anything at this point for weather that hasn't hit would be really bad planning. Being prepared is one thing. jumping the gun and making assumptions is another

http://www.windsorst...3257/story.html

True, I have some friends whose classes are cancelled for tomorrow, if it's bad and it's open I don't think many will be going. I have two classes tomorrow and the teacher today said that she would think it would close down as students are coming from everywhere and she is teaching us both classes so we shall see.

#32 jkellerman

jkellerman

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Woooohoooooo.......12-20 inches expected here in Chicago! :)

#33 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

This is exceedingly rude and totally uncalled for IMO. To assume that YOU are the only person on this forum who understand the lakes and how it affects our areas weather is completely ridiculous.

Taking geography does not make you a weather expert, I too excelled in geography and remember well all the lessons regarding the lakes effect on our weather conditions. I even did a project on it :) My brother and I were also required to take a marine weather course when we were both fourteen, does it make me an expert?? NOPE! However I also have a good understanding of our weather.

If you had taken the same marine course you would have learned that Detroit and Windsor typically experience the near same temperature (can vary by a couple degree) and precipitation. If Detroit is getting clobbered by a massive snow storm, than yes, Windsor will be getting that snow too. As for the rest of the county, wll depending on what direction the storm came from sometimes they get clipped, sometimes hit head on and sometimes not at all.

Now if you are talking comparing our weather to say Lapeer or Lansing or other upper areas of Michigan than the temperature and precipitation amounts will obviously be different.

Furthermore, channel 4 or 7 meteorologists both note the temperature and weather conditions in Windsor and sometimes Amherstburg, Sarnia and Chatham.

Most people in Windsor follow both local and Detroit forecasts.

Funny, I don't remember seeing you post in this thread prior to this. I never once said no one on this forum knew stuff about the weather. I was strictly talking about the people who had already posted in this thread - particularly those who apparently showed a lack of knowledge on the subject. You don't have to be an expert to understand weather. However, you can easily misunderstand the weather if you don't have a clue.

Now, if you are specifically talking about downtown Detroit and downtown Windsor (or any other areas along the river that are in close proximity to each other), then yes, precipitation will be much the same. However, storm activity will NOT, in most instances. As you move away from these close areas, you are going to start to see differences in the amount of precipitation - and type of precipitation - as well. Not always, but often times you will.

So far, all I have seen is a general estimate for how much snow we are going to get in the area. I have not seen specifics. Is the Detroit news reporting specifics for each county/city? At this point, it is still a lot of guesswork.

#34 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Well most people seem to have slept through geography growing up. In high school, I took all the geography I could get. I was actually debating whether to continue on that path or go into computers. But then I figured there were more opportunities with computers. Even still, when I started at the university, I took a geology course and a cloud course as electives.

LMBO.

sorry just had to laugh really really hard at that.

#35 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

LMBO.

sorry just had to laugh really really hard at that.

What's so funny about it? It WAS a cloud course. I forget the name of it off the top of my head. I just know people started nicknaming it "Clouds for Clowns". A good part of it covered exact topics that have come up in this thread. Not so sure what is funny about it.