#36 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Cowboy From Hell posted Feb 1 @ 04:14 PM

Funny, I don't remember seeing you post in this thread prior to this. I never once said no one on this forum knew stuff about the weather. I was strictly talking about the people who had already posted in this thread - particularly those who apparently showed a lack of knowledge on the subject. You don't have to be an expert to understand weather. However, you can easily misunderstand the weather if you don't have a clue.

Now, if you are specifically talking about downtown Detroit and downtown Windsor (or any other areas along the river that are in close proximity to each other), then yes, precipitation will be much the same. However, storm activity will NOT, in most instances. As you move away from these close areas, you are going to start to see differences in the amount of precipitation - and type of precipitation - as well. Not always, but often times you will.

So far, all I have seen is a general estimate for how much snow we are going to get in the area. I have not seen specifics. Is the Detroit news reporting specifics for each county/city? At this point, it is still a lot of guesswork.

Why does it matter if I had or had not posted in this thread yet?

I was generally offended by the fact that you basically told people not post if they didn't know what they were talking about when in reality everyone who follows Detroit weather and posted a link is getting a report that is just as accurate as the weather networks local forecast.

Detroit doppler 7 is renowned for their accuracy and had this particular storm system on their radar days before the weather network even started hinting about a possible storm. Go check their back logs and do a comparison for previous weather reports and you will see that their Canadian weather reporting is pretty much always spot on.

Oh and the study of clouds is called nephology (sp) - its common with tornado chasers, something else that interests me :)

#37 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

I was generally offended by the fact that you basically told people not post if they didn't know what they were talking about when in reality everyone who follows Detroit weather and posted a link is getting a report that is just as accurate as the weather networks local forecast.

Detroit doppler 7 is renowned for their accuracy and had this particular storm system on their radar days before the weather network even started hinting about a possible storm. Go check their back logs and do a comparison for previous weather reports and you will see that their Canadian weather reporting is pretty much always spot on.

Oh and the study of clouds is called nephology (sp) - its common with tornado chasers, something else that interests me :)

I don't believe that was the name of the course, but then again, it was over 15 years ago I took it. The course was not strictly about clouds, but that was a big part of it.

As for the Detroit weather forecasts, I don't see what that has to do with here. If they are so accurate in reference to Windsor, then why wasn't Eddie on the ball days ago and announcing these plans? Why wait until 3pm of the day of the storm to hold this meeting and announce the plans?

#38 newagemum1

newagemum1

2 hands working can do more than 1000 clasped in prayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Tim jesus effing christ. Why do you give a shit if people are up in arms over the storm. We get it, you're from up north, you get more snow there. I can pretty much guarantee no one gives a shit. It's a lot of snow for Windsor, combined with the wind can make for a nasty storm. Detroit weather can give a pretty good indication as to what it;s going to be like in Windsor. Sure it can be different just like it can be raining in sections of windsor and not in others. It's all semantics and you are either trolling or a giant edit.

Edited by newagemum1, 02 February 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#39 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

I don't believe that was the name of the course, but then again, it was over 15 years ago I took it. The course was not strictly about clouds, but that was a big part of it.

As for the Detroit weather forecasts, I don't see what that has to do with here. If they are so accurate in reference to Windsor, then why wasn't Eddie on the ball days ago and announcing these plans? Why wait until 3pm of the day of the storm to hold this meeting and announce the plans?

Could it be because it is Eddie Francis you are talking about!? :hysterical

#40 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Tim jesus effing christ. Why do you give a shit if people are up in arms over the storm. We get it, you're from up north, you get more snow there. I can pretty much guarantee no one gives a shit. It's a lot of snow for Windsor, combined with the wind can make for a nasty storm. Detroit weather can give a pretty good indication as to what it;s going to be like in Windsor. Sure it can be different just like it can be raining in sections of windsor and not in others. It's all semantics and you are either trolling or a giant a$$hole.

Clearly you don't get it. I'm not from the north. Well, technically I'm from the north, but Sarnia is not much different than Windsor when it comes to snow. I have lived in Windsor for over 15 years though. And seeing how I actually live here, I have every right to comment on the situation. I'm not sure why you are even responding to this thread. You live in an igloo out west. Who's the troll?

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#41 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

You're trolling. I'm not don't be an edit. Also, I do not live in an igloo but I could probably build one in my backyard right now, rather go in the hot tub though.

Edited by newagemum1, 02 February 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#42 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

You're trolling I'm not don't be an idiot.

Nice sentence. It sure must be cold in your igloo.

#43 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

meh, ya got me and I can take my licks since *I'M* usually the grammar nazi.

Anywhooooooooo, no igloo, yes it is cold and we have a fukton of snow. I really don't see your point.

Also, you're being an EDIT.

Edited by newagemum1, 02 February 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#44 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:49 AM

Why? Because you are trying to analyze Snowmaggedon from 3 provinces away? There have been a lot of idiots regarding this storm. It's either those of us who believe as I do, or those who believe this is the storm to end all storms. Funny thing is, outside of mom2mom and the media, most people I've run into feel the same way I do. When I was at the grocery store tonight buying some pizzas on sale, the cashier asked me if they were for the snow day tomorrow and then laughed. Then her and the woman behind me went on and on about how foolish people were acting and treating this storm. I just sat there and packed my groceries.

I may be one of the only vocal ones on this site, but there are far more in this city who believe as I do.

#45 jkellerman

jkellerman

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Why? Because you are trying to analyze Snowmaggedon from 3 provinces away? There have been a lot of idiots regarding this storm. It's either those of us who believe as I do, or those who believe this is the storm to end all storms. Funny thing is, outside of mom2mom and the media, most people I've run into feel the same way I do. When I was at the grocery store tonight buying some pizzas on sale, the cashier asked me if they were for the snow day tomorrow and then laughed. Then her and the woman behind me went on and on about how foolish people were acting and treating this storm. I just sat there and packed my groceries.

I may be one of the only vocal ones on this site, but there are far more in this city who believe as I do.

Well good for you for being such a genius! If we all could be so awesome....

#46 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

*as requested!

Edited by vals, 02 February 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#47 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Seriously, some people need to lighten the f*** up. The posts made by some people directly represent just how worked up some people got over this pitiful storm. Ignorant? No. Know-it-all? Not even close. Smart ass? Yeah, I was being one - and for good reason.

I just find this message board full of hypocrisy. A great deal of you can dish it out when you want to, but you act like cornered dogs when anything against your opinions goes down. Seriously, walk away from the computer and take a breath. Not everything needs to be taken with extreme seriousness. Go to the pharmacy and grab a bottle of chill pills.

#48 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

LOL and some people really need to follow their own advice :), and perhaps add a dose of humility.

#49 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Not me, for sure. I've been laughing at the fools since the announcement of Snowmaggedon begun.

#50 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Well I'll be a know it all and say you can't just walk into a pharmacy and grab a bottle of chill pills would be pretty sweet though wouldn't have to go to my doctors ever (and I know M you weren't referring to me).

Tim here's the thing. This was just a post about the weather. THE WEATHER. Now, I will admit I can get pretty passionate about my beliefs in debates and such but...........the weather? Seriously? You contradict yourself all over the place. You're the one who came on here all "I'm awesome I took a cloud course so now I'm a meteorologist" "Detroit doesn't have the same weather as Windsor but Sarnia does". You were trolling, you still are by telling people to take some pills and deep breaths blah blah ad nauseum. No one really cares or is even angry about it I just think they are finding it annoying. Like stuff it for once.

Oh and for all of you Windsorites suffering snowpocalypse....it is going to be a balmy 6 degrees here and sunny. Sorry, had to say it because my friends and family are forever making fun of me freezing my ass off.

#51 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Judging from the snow I'm getting right now, it may be too early to call the storm a bust. It's WAYYYY heavier now than it was last nite.

#52 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

I just wanted to stop in and thank those who are truly very witty and made me laugh out loud on several occasions. The comic relief was well needed! :biggrin

It's nice to be the one on the outside looking in, for a change. Though the outlook is still EXACTLY the same. :)

#53 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm closing this thread.