67 replies to this topic

#1 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

A snow emergency has been declared in Windsor.

Until further notice all vehicles must be removed from city streets, and all city run parking lots & garages are free. Normally an emergency of this nature would be declared after the snow falls but officials think itís in their best interest to do so now. Plows will focus on main roads to start off with and officials donít expect to get to residential streets until late Wednesday or early Thursday. The municipality of Chatham-Kent decided to put in a similar 72 hour parking ban (starting tonight at 7pm) earlier in the day.

Whether you think we're going to get hit by the full force of the storm or not, remember you can be ticketed/towed!! So help the plows out, and move your car before it get's buried :)

#2 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Exactly where are all the people expected to park if they don't have a driveway or live close to a parking lot/garage. A lot of people park on the roads, including people who have permits to park on the roads. This seems like it is going to cause more chaos than the snow will. This is an absolute f***ing joke.

Edit: Is this just for commercial sections or residential as well?

Edit 2: And where did you see this info?

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#3 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Exactly where are all the people expected to park if they don't have a driveway or live close to a parking lot/garage. A lot of people park on the roads, including people who have permits to park on the roads. This seems like it is going to cause more chaos than the snow will. This is an absolute f***ing joke.

It may seem like a joke and I have no clue where they expect these people to park BUT I will say that all those men who are having to push snow tonight will appreciate the extra help. Everyone is so worried about what "THEY" are going to do but what about these people who are out there busting their asses to make sure that the roads are clear for emergency vehicles and everyone who needs to get on the roads risking their lives and going hours upon hours without any sleep. These men have already worked a full day today and will be called back in to push snow if we get it tonight so I'm sorry but a bit of inconvenience to some may mean a few less hours of them out there pushing. These people are risking their lives even getting to the yards tonight to get to the plows if we get as much as they say.
I truly do feel for those that need to find somewhere else to park and I really don't know what they will do so I'm not bashing that aspect there should be a better plan in action for them BUT I can see the snow plows issues with them all being on the roads.

#4 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I don't know for certain....

http://mix967.ca/category/news/
I get text updates with breaking news... when this came across, I thought I'd share it to help spread the word...

#5 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

First off, I get that they want cars off the street, it's illegal to park on the roads back home past a certain time because of the plows but almost everyone there has a driveway!! I know I certainly would not be a happy person if I had to take my vehicle to a parking garage or lot(which still would have to be plowed) and somehow get home from there(not to mention the risk of someone breaking in my vehicle too). We live off a street where the majority of the people have to park on the road. They don't have driveways or anywhere to park. The roads are wide enough every other time for the plows to get down, so why is this any different? Are they going to plow the sides where people park?

#6 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

It may seem like a joke and I have no clue where they expect these people to park BUT I will say that all those men who are having to push snow tonight will appreciate the extra help. Everyone is so worried about what "THEY" are going to do but what about these people who are out there busting their asses to make sure that the roads are clear for emergency vehicles and everyone who needs to get on the roads risking their lives and going hours upon hours without any sleep. These men have already worked a full day today and will be called back in to push snow if we get it tonight so I'm sorry but a bit of inconvenience to some may mean a few less hours of them out there pushing. These people are risking their lives even getting to the yards tonight to get to the plows if we get as much as they say.
I truly do feel for those that need to find somewhere else to park and I really don't know what they will do so I'm not bashing that aspect there should be a better plan in action for them BUT I can see the snow plows issues with them all being on the roads.

good post

#7 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

First off, I get that they want cars off the street, it's illegal to park on the roads back home past a certain time because of the plows but almost everyone there has a driveway!! I know I certainly would not be a happy person if I had to take my vehicle to a parking garage or lot(which still would have to be plowed) and somehow get home from there(not to mention the risk of someone breaking in my vehicle too). We live off a street where the majority of the people have to park on the road. They don't have driveways or anywhere to park. The roads are wide enough every other time for the plows to get down, so why is this any different? Are they going to plow the sides where people park?

The thing is every other time we usually have a minor amount of snow, the amount of snow they are calling for is much more than usual so if the cars are parked at the sides how exactly are they going to clear the way without pushing it up against the cars? It might be that they want to push the snow up against the sides of the roads, I'm not really sure. I checked am800 and they do suggest not parking on the roads but it didn't say anything about fines.

#8 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

well I can guarantee you one thing, if we get 30+cm of snow and there are cars on the streets, then good luck to the poor suckers who have to dig them out, because they will get blocked in big time.

#9 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

We used to park on the road before we moved and I remember having to dig ourselves out. Most snowplows can direct the way the snow is going to come off the blade, whether it be to the right or to the left(just like a snow blower). If I park on the road, then I assume that I would be the one to dig myself out of that spot. When the plow comes down our street, they always push the snow towards the parked cars because the other side is for driving.

#10 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

city has announced all municipal and public parks and locations are all open and free to use. hopefully some of these people live near a public place and can move their cars there

I agree that it is more important to clear the roads then to inconvienance people who normally park on the road. It isn't like they ask you to do it everyday...

they declared a snow emergency and this is part of the emergency plans..

#11 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

That's what's so funny about it. We aren't getting that much snow! Even 30cm is not a lot, and it's not like it is coming down all at once. I can see keeping cars from parking off the major streets and in commercial areas, etc., but residential areas where most people don't have driveways? No. That is just going to create more problems. I have a driveway, but a lot of people in my area do not.

#12 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

this poor guy!!!

Attached Files

#13 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

well I can guarantee you one thing, if we get 30+cm of snow and there are cars on the streets, then good luck to the poor suckers who have to dig them out, because they will get blocked in big time.

Especially if they leave the snow there to harden and it becomes compact snow or even ice!! Good luck to them.

#14 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

That's what's so funny about it. We aren't getting that much snow! Even 30cm is not a lot, and it's not like it is coming down all at once. I can see keeping cars from parking off the major streets and in commercial areas, etc., but residential areas where most people don't have driveways? No. That is just going to create more problems. I have a driveway, but a lot of people in my area do not.

BELIEVE me...loads of planning and considerations goes into emergency plans. They only enact them when they are deemed necessary. You may not deem it necessary but the heads of the fire, police and emergency services in your communuity have.

#15 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Seriously, a foot isn't that much. And I highly doubt we will get that much here. 10-15cm is my guess.

#16 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

30cm might not be a lot in the north but when is the last time that Windsor-Essex county had that much? I honestly have no idea so I'm just guessing that is why so many precautions are being taken at this point. No one in this area has to deal with this type of snow on a regular basis so people are very worried about it. If people in residential areas don't want to move their damn cars to make the snow plow drivers job a bit easier than they just shouldn't bother plowing the street at all, simple it makes the drivers job easier and it makes the residents have less to whine about in the meantime. They can get their trusty shovel and snow blowers out and clear the way themselves if moving their car is too difficult. I'm sorry that it seems like too much to ask but they are obviously asking for a purpose and until those that it is inconveniencing volunteer to get out there and plow those streets themselves I think they need to just comply for the safety and ease of the people who are.

#17 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

BELIEVE me...loads of planning and considerations goes into emergency plans. They only enact them when they are deemed necessary. You may not deem it necessary but the heads of the fire, police and emergency services in your communuity have.

You mean the planning where they just called a meeting this afternoon and were trying to decide whether or not to have free parking. What you said is even more laughable.

Proper planning would actually be having a plan when stuff like this happens and informing the public as to what they should do...far in advance. Don't wait until the last minute and expect people to respond appropriately. You see how people are freaking out now. Just imagine people now scrambling to find a place to park. This is going to lead to chaos.

#18 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

risk factors are weighed against a set of known criteria...apparently factors have triggered the need

Flip side of the argument is they don't heed the warnings and we have a situation like the 402, where arm chair quarterbacks sit back and are critical of the lack of preparation and for more not being done done prior, or during....

planning is a very good tool and enacting a plan is what they are doing. Right or wrong, necessary or not. It is what it is

#19 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

this poor guy!!!

Hahah look at his shovel!!!

#20 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

30cm might not be a lot in the north but when is the last time that Windsor-Essex county had that much? I honestly have no idea so I'm just guessing that is why so many precautions are being taken at this point. No one in this area has to deal with this type of snow on a regular basis so people are very worried about it. If people in residential areas don't want to move their damn cars to make the snow plow drivers job a bit easier than they just shouldn't bother plowing the street at all, simple it makes the drivers job easier and it makes the residents have less to whine about in the meantime. They can get their trusty shovel and snow blowers out and clear the way themselves if moving their car is too difficult. I'm sorry that it seems like too much to ask but they are obviously asking for a purpose and until those that it is inconveniencing volunteer to get out there and plow those streets themselves I think they need to just comply for the safety and ease of the people who are.

30cm is not a lot no matter where you live. That is a foot. Measure that out. People are acting like we are going to get buried.

30cm may be the most this city has seen at ONE time in a long time, but there has been great accumulation in more recent years. Also, 30cm is what we MAY get. I can't recall there being a time in recent memory with all this uproar. I certainly don't remember any cars being removed from streets.

#21 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

this poor guy!!!

Hahah look at his shovel!!!

LOL I never even noticed that!

#22 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

risk factors are weighed against a set of known criteria...apparently factors have triggered the need

Flip side of the argument is they don't heed the warnings and we have a situation like the 402, where arm chair quarterbacks sit back and are critical of the lack of preparation and for more not being done done prior, or during....

planning is a very good tool and enacting a plan is what they are doing. Right or wrong, necessary or not. It is what it is

Again, not much of a plan when you wait until the afternoon before the storm to meet and discuss what is to be done. And now residents are supposed to all magically know what to do?

#23 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

You mean the planning where they just called a meeting this afternoon and were trying to decide whether or not to have free parking. What you said is even more laughable.

Proper planning would actually be having a plan when stuff like this happens and informing the public as to what they should do...far in advance. Don't wait until the last minute and expect people to respond appropriately. You see how people are freaking out now. Just imagine people now scrambling to find a place to park. This is going to lead to chaos.

I am glad you find it laughable...
|I for one heard on our local news this morning where the city mayor announced the plan about public parking

I am no fan of the city but I am very aquainted with the amount of planning and prep that goes into these plans. They have been prepared for every occassion. Thick huge binders or forethought....call it laughable all you want. Go down to your municipality and take a look at their procedure manuals for yourself

#24 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Again, not much of a plan when you wait until the afternoon before the storm to meet and discuss what is to be done. And now residents are supposed to all magically know what to do?

Again wrong...procedures have been in place for years and updated quite frequently. sorry just didn't happen but continue to believe it

#25 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

30cm is not a lot no matter where you live. That is a foot. Measure that out. People are acting like we are going to get buried.

30cm may be the most this city has seen at ONE time in a long time, but there has been great accumulation in more recent years. Also, 30cm is what we MAY get. I can't recall there being a time in recent memory with all this uproar. I certainly don't remember any cars being removed from streets.

I honestly don't know what to tell you, maybe it's not a lot and to be honest I haven't followed the weather reports or have been all that worried about it because I have no where I have to be, cupboards full and a way to cook if hydro does go out so I am not worried about ME. I am worried about those that will have no choice but to be out there with limited visibility make sure that YOU stay safe, making sure that anyone who needs emergency services can get them, driving what could potentially take hours just to get to the yard to get the snow plows to clear the roads. I don't know what it will be like in the city but I can tell you out here in the county the roads are going to be BAD. The snow that we already have is causing drifts on side roads and with the clear fields it is only going to get worse. It may not make sense, it may not be a lot of snow but it is what it is and this is what they are suggesting from what I read on am800 not what is required but I think it would be a kind gesture to our workers out there if those that can move their cars did. If people absolutely can not for a legitimate reason then fine but if they are just choosing not to it is down right rude and disrespectful for the people that will be out there working for them.

#26 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Well, according to the city's website, he had this meeting at 3pm today: http://www.citywindsor.ca/002885.asp

And according to this, and other sites, this meeting was going to discuss the free parking: http://ca.news.yahoo...100833-777.html

A 311 representative of the City of Windsor said it is the city's policy in the event of a snow emergency to open up parking lots to the public free of charge, to keep the streets clear for snow removal crews. Normally, that would mean metered parking would be free but parking garages would not.

Mayor Eddie Francis has called an emergency meeting of council to discuss snowstorm preparations, and decide whether or not to allow for the free parking.

So I don't see what is not laughable about this. Nice planning.

#27 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Again wrong...procedures have been in place for years and updated quite frequently. sorry just didn't happen but continue to believe it

So the city of Windsor website is wrong, plus most of the sites I've read reporting it? They have had a general plan, yes. Specific plan? No.

#28 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Someone else posted this on my friend's facebook wall:

Imagine how big this city would need to be (or how many highrise parking garages we would need to have) in order for there to be enogh off-street parking spots for every vehicle? That I'm being asked to drive my vehicle from in front of my house and park it several blocks away with a historic blizzard bearing down on us is utterlu laughable.

Apparently I'm not the only one who finds it laughable. And he has a point. What about the people driving around finding somewhere to park in the blizzard? Won't that cause even more issues for the plows and emergency vehicles. You know, not everyone works during the day and gets off in time to find a lot before the snow hits.

#29 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

So if the city wants the vehicles off the street and into the parking garages and lots, are they going to provide transportation home for those who will use them? How do you expect people to get home after leaving their vehicles there, what if the buses don't run anywhere remotely close to their houses? What if they don't have extra money to catch a bus? What if I had to park at the parking garage and I go into labour? What about our elderly neighbours who would have to get home from the parking garage? Not everyone will be able to comply with this. So really what would be the point if everyone but a few people park at the parking garages and the handful are left on the side of the road? That makes it more of a pain because the plows will have to plow around those parked cars.

EDIT: also is the city providing security for these parking garages and lots? If not, can you imagine the breeding ground for thieves with all those parked unsecured vehicles!

Edited by Alphabet_Soup, 01 February 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#30 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Well, according to the city's website, he had this meeting at 3pm today: http://www.citywindsor.ca/002885.asp

And according to this, and other sites, this meeting was going to discuss the free parking: http://ca.news.yahoo...100833-777.html

A 311 representative of the City of Windsor said it is the city's policy in the event of a snow emergency to open up parking lots to the public free of charge, to keep the streets clear for snow removal crews. Normally, that would mean metered parking would be free but parking garages would not.

Mayor Eddie Francis has called an emergency meeting of council to discuss snowstorm preparations, and decide whether or not to allow for the free parking.

So I don't see what is not laughable about this. Nice planning.

I will make this clear then I am done. No use even responding anymore to you.

The plan has been in place for years. This is a fact whether you believe it or not. They met,as clearly outlined in the media alert you quoted from (communication plan is also part of plans) to discuss the preparations. That does not mean they were making them, it means they were discussing them and ensuring everyone around the table is aware of them and knows their individual responsiblities and actions they need to take. It is how plans work. MAN!! The plans are in place and have been in place for years. They are tweaked for individual circumstances, which was discussed at this meeting you keep talking about... end of story..... Also offering free parking is in the plan as an option so is allthe available parking locations across the city complete with owner's phone numbers, in the event they have to free up more locations. They met to decide how much parking would be needed and where and at what cost, just as the plan says to do...

Maybe I need to throw a if you aren't knowledgable about it you shouldn't be commenting on this post on there just for you
Done

#31 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

More from the same guy:

Even if they gave us a week's advanced warning, where would we all park? Where are these *other* parking spots in a city where most families have two vehicles? There are enormous tracts of residential land in this city where there are no drieways and everyone parks on the street: Walkerville, East Windsor, the West Side.... Go park at a city parking lot? f*** off.

#32 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

I will make this clear then I am done. No use even responding anymore to you.

The plan has been in place for years. This is a fact whether you believe it or not. They met,as clearly outlined in the media alert you quoted from (communication plan is also part of plans) to discuss the preparations. That does not mean they were making them, it means they were discussing them and ensuring everyone around the table is aware of them and knows their individual responsiblities and actions they need to take. It is how plans work. MAN!! The plans are in place and have been in place for years. They are tweaked for individual circumstances, which was discussed at this meeting you keep talking about... end of story..... Also offering free parking is in the plan as an option so is allthe available parking locations across the city complete with owner's phone numbers, in the event they have to free up more locations. They met to decide how much parking would be needed and where and at what cost, just as the plan says to do...

Maybe I need to throw a if you aren't knowledgable about it you shouldn't be commenting on this post on there just for you
Done

No shit. I never said there was no planning done in advance. Why do you have to be so defensive over this matter? The fact is, this meeting to make these fine tuned adjustments still happened very late in the game. And why aren't residents made well aware of all these plans? No, most people are going to find out right about now, and some people won't have a clue. It is blatantly obvious that a lot of scrambling has been done over the last 24-48 hours. Just reading the quotes from city officials and others is proof of that.

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#33 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

havent sifted through the last few replies but

Chatham Kent has also called a state of emergency and banned parking on all city streets.

#34 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

More from the same guy:

Even if they gave us a week's advanced warning, where would we all park? Where are these *other* parking spots in a city where most families have two vehicles? There are enormous tracts of residential land in this city where there are no drieways and everyone parks on the street: Walkerville, East Windsor, the West Side.... Go park at a city parking lot? f*** off.

LOL! Why do you keep quoting some random friend of yours like his opinion actually means something to us?? lol THAT is laughable!

#35 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Chatham Kents no parking on Municpal streets is in effect from 7pm today until 7pm FRIDAY!