67 replies to this topic

#36 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

He's not even my friend, but I guarantee he represents a lot more people in this city. What he says is the truth. Many people in this city do not have driveways, and many do not live near one of these free parking areas. So what do they do? And how do you handle all this extra traffic on the streets when you have roads to plow?

#37 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

More from the same guy:

Even if they gave us a week's advanced warning, where would we all park? Where are these *other* parking spots in a city where most families have two vehicles? There are enormous tracts of residential land in this city where there are no drieways and everyone parks on the street: Walkerville, East Windsor, the West Side.... Go park at a city parking lot? f*** off.

LOL! Why do you keep quoting some random friend of yours like his opinion actually means something to us?? lol THAT is laughable!

LMAO that's what I was wondering!

And I find it funny that certain people are b*tching when they DO have a plan in place because these same people would be the ones b*tching if they didn't.

#38 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Seriously, I'm not seeing anyone explain how thousands of people are going to manage to get their cars parked in lots and garages before the snow hits. Tell me that is not going to create more problems.

Edit: Go on preaching your doom and gloom. It seems that is more prevalent than common sense around here.

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#39 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Chatham Kents no parking on Municpal streets is in effect from 7pm today until 7pm FRIDAY!

That is the way it is back home, you aren't allowed to park on the road after certain hours to make sure that the plows can get their jobs done. I don't ever recalling my parents having to park on the road to snow blow the driveway but a lot of people do. It's one thing if this was a normal thing for the city of Windsor but it's not. People expect to park on the roads.

#40 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

I bet there are thousands of people trying to find a solution instead of just b*tching about it.

And I also think the ones b*tching would have a different view if they were the ones plowing.

#41 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I actually get ( I think ) what Tim is trying to say here.

We have knows for DAYS that this storm is coming, so why announce it today at 3pm ( or whatever time it was ) about the parking.. It should have been announced a couple of days ago since this is no shocker that the storm is coming.

#42 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

I actually get ( I think ) what Tim is trying to say here.

We have knows for DAYS that this storm is coming, so why announce it today at 3pm ( or whatever time it was ) about the parking.. It should have been announced a couple of days ago since this is no shocker that the storm is coming.

Exactly. But even still, how does the city expect everyone to find parking? I seriously don't think there is enough space for everyone. Not to mention, how do these people get back to their homes? Since people are just finding out about this now, and if the big storm does hit as bad as they say, this is only going to create more of a problem than just the snow itself.

Edit: And it's especially going to be hard for people who are sick, injured, elderly, disabled, etc. to go about moving their cars.

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 01 February 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#43 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well it's only supposed to be light snow until midnight, is it not? So therefor the conditions should be fine to get back to their homes?

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 01 February 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#44 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Well it's only supposed to be light snow until midnight, is it not? So therefor the conditions should be fine to get back to their homes?

You forget what city you live in. A LOT of people work shift work in this city. So unless they were told not to go in today, good luck.

Also, what if there is an emergency for a family and now they are left with no vehicle? Emergency vehicles cannot always respond in time.

#45 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

But if their car was on the road, it would probably take longer to dig out now wouldn't it?

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 01 February 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#46 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

BUT, we all know that they've messed up how much snow we're *really* going to get more than a few times. Perhaps they just wanted to be as sure as possible that this really is a major storm because they recognize the issues it's going to create for anyone who has to move their car? I do agree that there should be some sort of shuttle service to get people home and I don't think those individuals should be billed for an ambulance, if it's needed and they don't have direct access to a vehicle.

edited for spelling

Edited by JavaBean, 01 February 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#47 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

And I also think the ones b*tching would have a different view if they were the ones plowing.

But that is their job, they get paid to plow. They plow every other time with cars on the side of the road, they just plow the one side that doesn't have parking. Even if they decide to plow the whole width of the roads, not everyone will move their cars to the free lots so that will make the plows jobs even harder because they will have to go around the parked car. Now, I've seen where plows have actually plowed into parked cars because they were parked on the road(back home where it's a ban) but what if people aren't aware of this ban? They might not have access to tv, radio or the internet. Unless it's a rule that's been enforced for years, you just can't expect everyone to comply with it.

Edited by Alphabet_Soup, 01 February 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#48 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

IF you dont have a driveway and IF you don't live near an area where free parking is offered and IF you don't have an alley, and IF you don't live on a bus route or have bus money or IF you don't have money for a cab, then park up on your front lawn. IF you don't want too, then get towed. Plain and simple.

#49 jkellerman

jkellerman

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

Wow, amazing how some ppl can get so testy about freakin weather!

Regardless of whether you think 30cm is a lot or not, there are many factors that will affect how drivable the streets are. I am in Chicago right now, and if the storm continues this strong when it gets to Windsor, you WILL need extra help. The winds are ridiculous right now and causing massive snow drifts. So 30cm of snow on a calm day can be dealt with much differently than 30cm in blizzard conditions. The storm just started here a couple hours ago and theres already a massive drift up on my garage door. So instead of spewing personal theories about how you think snow should be dealt with, how about wait to see how strong the storm gets. At least cities are trying to be proactive here.

#50 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

I called 311 which is what I would think anyone concerned abotut hsi would do. I was advised ONLY main streets are required to. It is SUGGESTED that residental streets park as few cars as possible on the street if they can avoid parking there & live near a community centre or municipal parking lot then those are free. Personally I think all school parking lots & church parking lots should be free as well but that is just my opinion.

#51 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

You know you've been going on and on all day disagreeing with every post people make... So if you don't want to follow the alerts that have been posted then park your damn car on the street and let it be. No one is saying YOU have to follow what was said, they were simply passing along info the have come across.... I am so tired of reading your comments to people... You make it sound like everyone's opinions are uselss and only your's matter. Lets all agree to disagree. This is about weather for crying out loud not the end of the world. They were posting topics from reliable sources unlike the ones from someone facebook page that you felt the need to post... I guess you're right about it all. We know nothing... Silly us!

Edited by Gillian, 01 February 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#52 jkellerman

jkellerman

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

You know you've been going on and on all day disagreeing with every post people make... So if you don't want to follow the alerts that have been posted then park your damn car on the street and let it be. No one is saying YOU have to follow what was said, they were simply passing along info the have come across.... I am so tired of reading your comments to people... You make it sound like everyone's opinions are uselss and only your's matter. Lets all agree to disagree. This is about weather for crying out loud not the end of the world. They were posting topics from reliable sources unlike the ones from someone facebook page that you felt the need to post... I guess you're right about it all. We know nothing... Silly us!

Awesome post!

#53 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

IF you dont have a driveway and IF you don't live near an area where free parking is offered and IF you don't have an alley, and IF you don't live on a bus route or have bus money or IF you don't have money for a cab, then park up on your front lawn. IF you don't want too, then get towed. Plain and simple.

There's going to be a lot of people getting towed then. Apparently no one in my neighbourhood got the message. Plus, if everyone needs a ride, how are the buses and cabs going to handle them all? And parking on your lawn in the snow? Seriously?

#54 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

If people don't want to argue with me, they don't have to. I'm not twisting their arms. You know, I seem to be in a vocal minority on this site, but based on other sites and such that I've been exposed to today, I'm clearly not alone. The fact is, people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Plus, I have a f***ing driveway. Parking doesn't affect me. I'm just questioning the logistics of it all. And it appears that I was correct in my first assumption that it doesn't really include residential streets.

#55 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well let me put it this way, IF you CHOOSE not to move your car or anyone else for that matter and you get a ticket I hope that the snow plow also takes off the rear end or mirror of the car because they are just too damn stubborn to help make a plow drivers job just a bit easier. If there is an emergency then there are ambulances, do you really think that if the roads are that bad then you are safer to drive in your own vehicle? Seriously that makes no sense what so ever. If you don't have to have enough respect for the men and women that will be out there tonight and every other night regardless of the weather conditions, road conditions or the fact that they are risking their lives to make yours a little easier then that is YOUR choice but it is a rude heartless choice to make. A minor inconvenience for one day or even a few is not going to really be a big deal in the over all scheme of things to you, but it could be a major deal to those out there working. Have a heart, the men and women out there working this evening have families who worry about them and who just want them to get back home safely while you are snug in your warm house and sleeping in your warm bed they are out there busting their asses off to make the roads safe for those people who just can't stay home.

#56 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

There's going to be a lot of people getting towed then. Apparently no one in my neighbourhood got the message. Plus, if everyone needs a ride, how are the buses and cabs going to handle them all? And parking on your lawn in the snow? Seriously?

Not really, I think the majority of people have what she just said.

Besides they just said they are ticketing ONLY for main roads. They aren't making you do it on a side street, it's just preferred.

#57 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

Awesome post Mama: I am one of those spouses who's Dh plows the 401 and yes it is a paid position (not as much as some of u all think) it is very dangerous. We will probaly not see him until Thursday as it is much safe to sleep in his vehicle at yard instead of risking coming home. I implore those who do have to go out please drive carefully.

#58 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Awesome post Mama: I am one of those spouses who's Dh plows the 401 and yes it is a paid position (not as much as some of u all think) it is very dangerous. We will probaly not see him until Thursday as it is much safe to sleep in his vehicle at yard instead of risking coming home. I implore those who do have to go out please drive carefully.

My dad works for the township and has been at work since 5:30 this morning and as of yet still not home. People just do not give them the credit that they deserve while they are out there risking their lives in this craptastic weather for not a whole lot of pay. Keeping your husband in our thoughts while he is out there, it is hard on the nerves that is for sure. And lots of Happy Birthday wishes goes out to my dad, too bad he couldn't celebrate with his family tonight instead he's out there doing a much unappreciated job. Really grinds me just how little respect these men get for how hard they work.

#59 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

The declaration by city officials means people are encouraged and allowed to park free in municipal parking lots and garages to get vehicles off the streets and means if cars are abandoned in the storm or are blocking an intersection or street they will be towed.

Cars on side streets where they are no driveways will get snowed in but won’t be towed unless they are blocking a fire hydrant.

So NO I don't think that's a problem for those people. I don't think there will be thousands of cars and people who can't do it.

#60 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

I don't see how I'm disrespecting anyone out working in this. What do you think happens in the northern cities? They don't shut down and ask people to keep the roads clear of traffic. And they get a lot more snow, often on a daily basis.

#61 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

The declaration by city officials means people are encouraged and allowed to park free in municipal parking lots and garages to get vehicles off the streets and means if cars are abandoned in the storm or are blocking an intersection or street they will be towed.

Cars on side streets where they are no driveways will get snowed in but won’t be towed unless they are blocking a fire hydrant.

So NO I don't think that's a problem for those people. I don't think there will be thousands of cars and people who can't do it.

My comment was made before it was confirmed that it didn't apply to residential neighbourhoods and such.

#62 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

I don't think that those on residental streets don't appreciate these workers. Frankly the city has already stated that they WILL NOT even think about residential street plowing until Thursday. I personally have 2 bad feeet one was recently operated on & another will be soon. DH has a knee recently operated on & is not even allowed to do snow removal at work. We ahve 6 kids here as I have my friends kids this week while she is on vacation. They won't even all fit into one car. We would ahve to move 3 cars (ours & their 2) the closest community centre is about 2 miles from here. NO I don't think I can walk that & neither can these 6 kids All but one of which is under 7. I also have no extra $$ in our beduget right now to cover 2 taxis or bus fair. Since I won't be able to get my car out of the 1/2 driveway we ahve if I park in the alley since they don't plow those it is not an option. Will I dig my way out if they plow out front on my street that has no driveways or garages..... yes I will that is my risk. I don't think it means I don't appreciate those workers. It means I don't ahve the $$ & no one else in my neighbourhood is doing it anyway so it would all be for nothing. It is not mandatory & I am not on a main road so there is no issue. How that makes me unappreciative I don't know. That makes no sense. My hubby nomally does snow removal & he thinks it is crazy to even suggest peeps get off residentail streets when they won't even be plowing them anyway.

#63 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Well, I'm not sure about this no plowing until Thursday. A plow already went down our street about 15 minutes ago. Maybe Janette isn't considered residential though. If so, a lot of people are going to have their cars towed.

#64 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

If it is a city bus route street it is not considered residential. Otherwise that is what they said. Maybe you just got lucky??? who knows

#65 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

but once the heavy snow hits, arent the smaller residential streets the last to get plowed? I thought the last time we got a big dumping, people were complaining that it took days for their street to get plowed.

#66 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

yup last time it took them 3 days to plow my street. Pissed me off I pay taxes too, & lots of them.

#67 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

i think it's insane and absolutely ridiculous for the city to expect its residents who park on the streets to park elsewhere!! main streets...okay, maybe. but side streets?! i think i could count on one hand the number of homes that had driveways on the entire STREET i used to live on in Windsor.

what a nightmare.

#68 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Well the plow has went down my street at least twice now, and no bus goes down here.