31 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

What is your work policy if you cannot get to work tomorrow.....if the snow storm is too bad?????

#2 Stepmomof2

Stepmomof2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

What is your work policy if you cannot get to work tomorrow.....if the snow storm is too bad?????

I would prefer to stay home with the kids and enjoy a snowday but there were a few comments made at work today that we are a business not a school we don't close because of some snow. So I guess I will be going in! Booo

#3 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

I prepared myself, took the usb stick home and working from home, i get more done here than work with people always wanting something. woohoo i get to sleep in past 430!!!
besides even if i tried to get there, I work 45 minutes away, my driveway is like 100 ft long and I live in the middle of nowhere, they wont plow till the hwy is done. My life is more valuable than trying to get into work

#4 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thankfully they have already said if it is not safe, we'll stay home and have a snow day. We're all emailing each other in the morning to let each other know what whether we're staying home or going in. I'll just bring my work home with me.

#5 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

I live above where I work so I have no excuse!!! booo!!!! haha

#6 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thankfully they have already said if it is not safe, we'll stay home and have a snow day. We're all emailing each other in the morning to let each other know what whether we're staying home or going in. I'll just bring my work home with me.

but do they pay you or expect you to use a vacation, in lieu of time?

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

If it's not a choice, why would someone have to use their own lieu/vacation time? That makes no sense!

#8 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I will stay home if the roads are bad, my commute is 40 km in the county, I will lose a days pay!

#9 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

If it's not a choice, why would someone have to use their own lieu/vacation time? That makes no sense!

well i just got an email, on behalf the entire ontario public service that says exactly that. All provincial gov't offices will be open and you are expected to come to work, if for your own safety cannot make it then you don't have to come but you will have to use credit to cover the day. The ONLY way that will change is if the municipality or province declares an emergency saying only emergency vehicles allowed on the road. Basically, they won't discipline you for not coming, due to your safety, but they aren't paying you to be off

#10 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

if our building is closed we arent expected to come in... if it is then we are expected to at least try... if this warning stays out where nonessential vehicles are not supposed to be on the road Ill be setting an out of office... a notice will be posted online in regards to our building at 530am. As for the day we are still paid for it normally.

#11 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

i'm not sure how my job is handling it, but i know i'm not going in.

#12 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

well i just got an email, on behalf the entire ontario public service that says exactly that. All provincial gov't offices will be open and you are expected to come to work, if for your own safety cannot make it then you don't have to come but you will have to use credit to cover the day. The ONLY way that will change is if the municipality or province declares an emergency saying only emergency vehicles allowed on the road. Basically, they won't discipline you for not coming, due to your safety, but they aren't paying you to be off

Same with us, I work for the school board and if our board office is open, we have to make every attempt to get to work and if we decide not to go, we have to use vacation or lieu time. Well see what heppens? If they closed all the schools, we will be closed, but I"ll be shocked if that happens....so I'll most likely be at work, I'll just take my time!

#13 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I'm going to evaluate the roads in the morning, the first hurdle will be even getting off my road, I parked at my parents for the night, as my street is a private dirt road, and it was almost unaccessible when I left at 8:30 this evening. If I can get off my parents road, I'll see how Cty. Rd. 22 is, and go from there. I'm hopig to make it into work, I hate to leave my boss hanging.

#14 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

There has not been a snow storm since I have been driving that has stopped me from going any place. I know how to drive and I have a Jeep with 4X4 capability...I know how to use it...and it has clearance so I usually have no problems.....so yup I will probably be at work at least part of the day.....just depends on the kid and school.

#15 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I would never be paid for a day I didn't work unless it's a statutory holiday. (my vac. pay is paid out separately). I've already made arrangements with my boss to work from home and log my hours - I uploaded over 100MB to a shared net folder before I left today so we can collaborate.

#16 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

I told our assistant to call me in the morning to ask if she should come in. Likely not.

#17 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

unless its declared an emergency and all places have to be closed i am expected to be at work
so i dont really have a choice

#18 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I was sent an email letting me know not to come in tomorrow for my shift, I will not be paid for it.

#19 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I loaded my briefcases. Working from home tomorrow.

#20 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

No, they won't pay me to have the day off. I'll be working from home if its a snow day. Frankly, I'd prefer to work in the office...our networks are not the greatest and its endlessly frustrating to work from home....everything takes 10 times longer. Ah well, I definitely don't want to drive in the stuff that's out there right now..I'll deal with the frustration. This whole snow thing is actually going to cause our office a lot of complications as we had a pretty important staff meeting scheduled tomorrow...but if it's not safe, it's just not safe. and staying in my jammies all day does sound a little appealing right now :)

Tracy: that's a bummer you will lose that half a day's pay.

#21 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

my answer is now no...

I have the ability to work from home via bb so I will be doing that..

#22 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

I dont work anymore, but when i did work, there was never a snow storm that closed us. Everyone expected to work longer then their normal 8 hrs though cause we knew our relief would take longer then usual to come in.

#23 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

I work from home, so although I have a different group of kids....my home daycare is operational! No commute to worry about, but my dh was out there before 7am shovelling the drive-way to make it safe for the kiddies!

#24 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yes, No choice. Animal medical field, we have to be open. The boss is off to recover from heart surgery. I open daily. I can't not show up.

This is NOTHING BTW.

Who remembers the winter the Outside workers in the County were on strike? The storm we had that year was worse than they predicted for this one. I slogged my way down HWY 18 from LA-A'burg. It took me nearly an hour because the roads were not plowed at all. I got to work and my boss said.."OH, I didn't expect to see you here today".

#25 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

i've "called in" but from what i understand we're not getting paid for it, but they aren't going to punish us or use one of our Personal Emergency Days against us.
... i don't really believe that, but we'll see.

#26 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

nope no point in going in today.

#27 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

If it wasn't RSP season I probably wouldn't be here. Not for any good reason aside from it would be nice to spend a surprise day with the kidlets

#28 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

i've "called in" but from what i understand we're not getting paid for it, but they aren't going to punish us or use one of our Personal Emergency Days against us.

Just wondering...why would you be paid for the day? Is it in a contract?

#29 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

what i meant was being paid for it by vacation time. So, take the day off with pay but lose a shift worth of vacation accrual.

#30 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

what i meant was being paid for it by vacation time. So, take the day off with pay but lose a shift worth of vacation accrual.

OK, just wondering. Yet another reason I love my boss. There is a possibility he would have paid us for the day. For sure we would have been allowed vacay pay instead.

#31 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

We could take an unpaid day, but I took my lieu day because I couldn't take the hit of losing an entire shift of pay.

#32 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

we take care of people with disabilities so we are expected to show up for our shifts. The snow just happened to come on y scheduled day off so I didn't have to go in