33 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

I heard a rumour that the school board is discussing closing all the schools for tomorrow.. Just and FYI for those that have to get out to go to work..

#2 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Me too, Jen! They are discussing it and our Montessori is going to follow suit accordingly.

#3 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

I think its jumping the gun..

I mean what if we dont get what they say we might? Why not wait til morning?

#4 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

I can only assume that there are no doubts that it's coming and a lot of it because I think hell has to freeze over for them to close the actual schools!

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

hehe.. but dont ASSUME!!

No doubt we are getting some.. BUT there have been numerous times we were supposed to get x- amount of cms of snow and nothing comes.. So if they say 15-20cm.. what happens if we only get 10??

Maybe its cause I'm from snow country, but schools were never closed the night before, it was always done in the morning after the damage was assessed!

#6 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Our kids came home and told me that they were told it's a Snow Day tomorrow. I think I'll go mental

#7 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

our rule, for work is if public transportation is stopped that signals the municipalities consider it a snow emergency with only essential vehicles allowed on the road...which means all stores, offices should follow the warning and not expect employees to drive in

otherwise we are expected to make an effort to show up, if safety is an issue we are to use vacation, sick or other work credits for the day

#8 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

My kids came home today saying tomorrow was a snow day as well. For those that do have to work tomorrow or leave their houses it might be nice for them to know in advance to find someone to watch their children. No idea really why they are doing it in advance though.

#9 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

I think its jumping the gun..

I mean what if we dont get what they say we might? Why not wait til morning?

How is discussing it but not making a decision jumping the gun. Sounds like at least they are considering the fact that it might make sense so teachers and admin won`t have to drive in the crap!

#10 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

discussing it isnt jumping the gun, closing the schools before the snow ever starts coming to see how much we actually end up with is.

#11 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

City of Windsor has declared a State of Emergency already.

And off topic but did you just call me an ass, Jen K?! :p

#12 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

My sister's school (Villanova) just called and left a message saying that the school is closed tomorrow.

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

Well if they're not i know one little boy who will be making the trek over to school!!!!

#14 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

advance planning is good - assuming and making decisions before you really need to is stupid. Everyone is quite capable of getting up in the morning and listening to the news or checking the online bus site to see if buses are cancelled and/or schools are closed. No need for them to jump the gun.

And if the weather is that bad that people's power is out and they can't listen to the radio I am sure people can figure it out. sheesh.

#15 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

my school is canceled so even if school is open ds will be staying home and dd will not be going to daycare

#16 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

advance planning is good - assuming and making decisions before you really need to is stupid. Everyone is quite capable of getting up in the morning and listening to the news or checking the online bus site to see if buses are cancelled and/or schools are closed. No need for them to jump the gun.

And if the weather is that bad that people's power is out and they can't listen to the radio I am sure people can figure it out. sheesh.

I agree on that point. Make all the plans and have back up plans but no need to enact the plans until there is an actual need.

#17 3angelsmom

3angelsmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

my kids came home with homework that they need to do tomorrow because they will be missing school the teacher said. One of my kids had a note in her communication book that there are no busses tomorrow too!

#18 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Catholic or Public??

#19 rwf05

rwf05

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Well note in my daughters agenda said library day tomorrow, and a reminder of waistless wednesday, ( st anne's french immerssion), I doubt that busses will be running however.

#20 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

Not true, I took the call from Villanova, it said THERE ARE NO BUSES, AND THEY WILL DECIDE BY MORNING WHETHER THE SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED!!!

It said to watch their websited to know whether they are closed or not.

Same with the grade school, it is the same thing, the messages came one after the number from their telemarketing number.

Edited by mysticmom, 01 February 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#21 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Public Board has said Nothing as of yet. I am sure it will be announced first thing tommorrow morning.

#22 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

Public Board has said Nothing as of yet. I am sure it will be announced first thing tommorrow morning.

Our kids go to public school and still came home and said that the school told them it was a snow day tomorrow.

#23 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

My children said nothing, just recieved an e-mail from the principal from the director of education at the public board to listen for bus cancellations by 6:30a.m. as well listen to the media outlets as well as the public boards website for any school closures.

#24 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

I heard a rumour! They say you got a broken heart!

#25 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

My sister's school (Villanova) just called and left a message saying that the school is closed tomorrow.

Wrong...just buses are cancelled...my dd goes to Villanova, and we got a cinivoice message saying only buses were cancelled, to keep checking if the school will be closed,they will announce later tonight or in the morning.

#26 Jessica H

Jessica H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

My children said nothing, just recieved an e-mail from the principal from the director of education at the public board to listen for bus cancellations by 6:30a.m. as well listen to the media outlets as well as the public boards website for any school closures.

You are right....I work at the Public Board Office, where the Director works and he said just that.....listen to the news and check the website (www.publicboard.ca), you will be notified by 6:30am, if schools/board office etc are closed.

#27 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

I was told by our bus driver that to listen to am 800,but I told him whether its a small or big snowstorm,they are having a snow day anyway,so dont wait for us.
Waiting for the bus the past few mornings has been brutally cold with the wind.We are sick of it!kids are happy to sleep in,as is mama

#28 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

I don't understand why i got a call from our school then its its not made offical.

#29 Jessica H

Jessica H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

I think the buses are cancelled, but schools are not definate yet

#30 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

You are right....I work at the Public Board Office, where the Director works and he said just that.....listen to the news and check the website (www.publicboard.ca), you will be notified by 6:30am, if schools/board office etc are closed.

Me too I work for the Board as well :) We will just have to wait and see.

#31 mrs_m_2000

mrs_m_2000

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

The kids came home and said it may be a snow day..but then they said, of course, it is a snow day, since it is snowing!!

So funny how our kids interpret things...

I work for the public board, no cancelling school..and that would be rare, since they would lose funding for the day!! That is why the schools stay open...now if there is no power, then there will be no school!! (Last time was the ice storm years ago!!)

I would rather not leave at all...hopefullly it is cancelled, although it would be nice if i could get there to have just a few kids on the first day of the new semester!!LOL!

Stay safe, all!
S

#32 Karen

Karen

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

The Public Board has this News Release on their website. I guess we'll find out the "official" decision by 6:30am. It's a Snow Day for our family, regardless of the announcement. I am looking forward to some cozy family time!

GECDSB Memo

#33 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

The Public Board has this News Release on their website. I guess we'll find out the "official" decision by 6:30am. It's a Snow Day for our family, regardless of the announcement. I am looking forward to some cozy family time!

GECDSB Memo

Ash's teacher told them to check this site out too!

We will wait and see in the morning before we make an decisions.. If our roads are plowed and the school is open we may take them. They love to go on snow days!

I am glad they are waiting it out though, there are alot of people who still have to go to work and take the kids to school.

#34 Roz

Roz

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

I heard a rumour! They say you got a broken heart!

Great song, Dana!