59 replies to this topic

#1 Lori5

Lori5

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

I just got a text from my son and his gf's mother is a bus driver and she said the county buses are not running tomorrow

#2 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

I wish it would be made "Official" What would it hurt to let us know now instead of 6:30 a.m.

#3 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

I wish it would be made "Official" What would it hurt to let us know now instead of 6:30 a.m.

But why do you need to know now? How do they know for sure that the roads will be bad in the morning. What's wrong with everyone listening in the morning to find out?? What if it were to stop in the next hour and we get nothing more. Then we have hundreds/thousands of inconvenienced parents and kids because buses are cancelled for no reason.

#4 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

[quote name='jenjen001' date='01 February 2011 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1296610501' post='1240842']
[/

I agree from a selfish, sleep through 6:30am kind of way! Lol!

Edited by JavaBean, 01 February 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Kristi

Kristi

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

I agree...You can't decide now if the buses are running tomorrow or not! Chances are there won't be buses but still wait till tomorrow to decide that!

#6 Lori5

Lori5

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Well because out here in the county it blows like no tomorrow and even when i cam into work at 4 before it started snowing just from the blowing and the snowing from early in the morning the back roads were terrible

#7 jenjen001

jenjen001

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

I highly doubt it is going to stop, and I also highly doubt anyone will be making the trek anywhere. If they were going to cancel them tonight those who did have to make it out tommorrow, could probaly plan accordingly and not be left in the lurch to where to take or send their children. This is one of those storms that wiil not die out quickly take a look at the radar.Why would the City declare it a snow emergency???

#8 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

my mum had mentioned they were letting all teachers in the county know of the bus situation tonight , for tomorrow. [she teaches at U.M.E.I] ... doesn't hurt to have an idea as to what tomorrow is going to be.

No idea what's happening here, we haven't really started the big snow yet, for once you guys are getting it worse than us! Be safe everyone! oh and I've already told Ds- he won't have a snow day...he'll be going even if buses are cancelled- but now they're talking about closing the SCHOOL.... but in that case, I will be closed as well [daycare]

#9 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

They knew this was coming... snow plow drivers, all hands on deck and get it cleaned up.... seriously. Stay on top of it and I don't see why it's such a big deal. Even IF we got the 30 cm they are saying maximum, that's not even up to your knees guys!

#10 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

But why do you need to know now? How do they know for sure that the roads will be bad in the morning. What's wrong with everyone listening in the morning to find out?? What if it were to stop in the next hour and we get nothing more. Then we have hundreds/thousands of inconvenienced parents and kids because buses are cancelled for no reason.

I agree with you 100%.

People should assume that they are cancelled and have back up plans in place for the "just in case"
I dont know how many times over the years my kids have come home and said the teachers told them it was going to be a snow day, and then we dont end up getting the storm and the buses run..

Its best to wait til morning, then assess the "damage"

#11 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

fwiw..

the bus sentinal was last update at 7pm tonight and it still shows buses running..

www.buskids.ca

#12 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Yes it does, but it says right on the website, they only update the website in the mornings only.

#13 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Yes it does, but it says right on the website, they only update the website in the mornings only.

I know.. but it shows an update time of 19:00 which is 7pm.. and earlier on it showed the update time of this morning..It made me wonder if there are alot of miscommunications out there and thats why they did an update?

#14 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Buskids.ca now reporting:

All Board provided transportation has been canceled for Windsor & Essex County (Area A & B), for Wednesday February 2nd.

School status is unchanged at this time.

#15 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

They knew this was coming... snow plow drivers, all hands on deck and get it cleaned up.... seriously. Stay on top of it and I don't see why it's such a big deal. Even IF we got the 30 cm they are saying maximum, that's not even up to your knees guys!

Your kidding right?!? The snow plows have been out there salting since this morning in some areas and have been working non stop and are prepared to get going. They are getting it cleaned up but it takes time, there is wind and snow drifts and unless you want to volunteer to jump out there to clean it up I don't think that it should be a complaint of how quickly they get it done. My father has been at work since 5:30 this morning getting prepared for this and still has not got to come home, he has not had dinner, he did not get to receive any birthday wishes from his family or cake or even a warm shower after freezing his ass off all day and you think it's as simple as saying all hands on deck get it cleaned up and not seeing it as such a big deal? I'm glad it is not your spouse/father/brother out there having to do this type of work and you having to worry about their safety or feeling terrible that they are out there cold, hungry and tired because it is honestly a terrible feeling.

#16 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

There's only so many people that can go out and plow. And I had countless amounts of plows go by here and you still couldn't tell.

#17 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

CANCELLATION BOTH
Area - A - City of Windsor - All Board provided transportation is cancelled.
SCHOOLS ARE OPEN.
Area - B - County of Essex - All Board provided transportation is cancelled.
SCHOOLS ARE OPEN.

Zone A - Ville de Windsor – Tous les services d’autobus du conseil scolaire sont annulés.
LES ÉCOLES SONT OUVERTES.
Zone B - Comté d'Essex - Tous les services d’autobus du conseil scolaire sont annulés.
LES ÉCOLES SONT OUVERTES.

#18 Lori5

Lori5

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm at work and i just got back going to customs and the roads out here are terrible they have only been by once here sry wrong thread to put this in

#19 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:32 AM

All that fuss... LOOK outside. We've had far worse than that and not cancelled anything.

#20 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

All that fuss... LOOK outside. We've had far worse than that and not cancelled anything.

Were you out driving in it???? The side roads are almost impassable! If you can stay in the ruts then you are ok but if not!? Good luck to you! The concession roads from all reports are awful too! No one is saying we haven't had worse amounts but that wind is making the drifts that much worse!

#21 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

I can't speak for the county, but there is NO reason for the city to have closed anything.

#22 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

I live on a Highway in the County and I can tell you, it looks pretty bad. I would think that people would be happy to have a day off!

#23 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

No kidding! Take the day and quit b*tching! lol Maybe the schools should have been open, but the call on canceling the buses was warranted, I'd say.

I also don't get why people complain so much about having their kids home. Not in this thread particularly, but others ones where people are hoping they DON'T close the schools because then they have to entertain their kids.. lol As if that's such a bad thing!

Edited by ~Jill~, 02 February 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#24 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

I personally don't remember the last time we had this much snow at one time. And I know for a fact that even if the college was open I would NOT be driving in this weather.

#25 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Yeah I was a little disappointed that we didnt get as much as they said but I am happy to have the day off!

#26 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

The roads are bad in the county, my dad did not get to come home at all last night, he's been at work for over 29 hours and still going strong. We have snow drifts in our backyard almost up to my waist. The roads are a sheet of ice from the freezing rain and the concessions are a mess. Snow on the concession beside us is up to my knees almost with a thick sheet of ice underneath. I'm glad they closed the schools, my kids are home safe and warm instead of risking them being in a ditch somewhere.

#27 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

You wanna give me a job, I'd HAPPILY go do it. I only get work on the weekends, I'd LOVE to have some more income... instead I get to listen to the kids fighting all day because they're bored.

#28 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

The roads on the east side of town are not great and I am just seeing another car get stuck out on our side road now. So there was reason to close the schools.

You wanna give me a job, I'd HAPPILY go do it. I only get work on the weekends, I'd LOVE to have some more income... instead I get to listen to the kids fighting all day because they're bored.

It's one day! It isn't that hard to plan some stuff to do to occupy them.

#29 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

when they've already had two PA days this month, yes it is... I'm out of money for craft supplies. Just heard the plows go down my street for the 4th time since 9 am to clear absolutely NOTHING off the road here. If your roads are so bad tell them to lay off Howard Ave and go plow something that needs it.

#30 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

when they've already had two PA days this month, yes it is... I'm out of money for craft supplies. Just heard the plows go down my street for the 4th time since 9 am to clear absolutely NOTHING off the road here. If your roads are so bad tell them to lay off Howard Ave and go plow something that needs it.

Relax. Take them outside or something if they are bugging you that much. It makes me sad to see that having 3 extra days home with you in a month is making you this miserable. Or are you always so miserable?

Edited by DivineMrsM, 02 February 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#31 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Not everything costs money! And you are going to say you have NO craft supplies? Really you have no crayons, paper, scissors or glue? What about games? Use the internet!! And feel free to send them east! Would love to see them over here!!

#32 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

You know what... seriously. There was no reason to close the schools today. You guys all wanna keep your kids home everyday, go ahead. I spend tons of time with my kids, when they SHOULD be at school, I want them at school. If your kids aren't screaming their heads off fighting with each other, lucky you. wish I had more to shovel so I could go hide outside but it's all done already.

#33 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Teachers trek to school from all over the county. Obviously more than one official deemed it not safe it they actually closed the schools. Hell, even the college closed, that should say something. I'm sure certain areas in the city were fine. But that's not the case overall. They obviously had the safety of every worker and every student taken into consideration when they closed the school.

#34 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Teachers trek to school from all over the county. Obviously more than one official deemed it not safe it they actually closed the schools. Hell, even the college closed, that should say something. I'm sure certain areas in the city were fine. But that's not the case overall. They obviously had the safety of every worker and every student taken into consideration when they closed the school.

but to play devils advocate here.. Why is the safety of teachers taken into consideration here? No disrespect intended, but people are expected to go to work all across the city and in the county today.. I hear this every year, oh its not safe for the teachers, but what about the store clerks, tim hortons workers, office workers, nurses, etc etc.. they all have to go to work?

For the people that still have to go to work, they need daycare for their kids, and with the schools closed, I am sure people are scrambling taking their kids to relatives etc...

#35 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

If the school was open, the amount of kids actually there, they wouldn't learn anything anyways. All my teachers are still at the college because they have to care for the animals. But all the people going there are home, since people come from everywhere and it's not really safe.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 02 February 2011 - 11:21 AM.