59 replies to this topic

#36 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

I just find it funny. The grade school kids in reality are not missing much from the school being closed. You could probably do more at home with them today than if they schools had been opened.

Some of my classmates missed a mandatory clinic and lab that they will not have time to make up. But yet they are happy enjoying the day off, and enjoying the day with their kids(if they have any).

#37 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Teachers trek to school from all over the county. Obviously more than one official deemed it not safe it they actually closed the schools. Hell, even the college closed, that should say something. I'm sure certain areas in the city were fine. But that's not the case overall. They obviously had the safety of every worker and every student taken into consideration when they closed the school.

but to play devils advocate here.. Why is the safety of teachers taken into consideration here? No disrespect intended, but people are expected to go to work all across the city and in the county today.. I hear this every year, oh its not safe for the teachers, but what about the store clerks, tim hortons workers, office workers, nurses, etc etc.. they all have to go to work?

For the people that still have to go to work, they need daycare for their kids, and with the schools closed, I am sure people are scrambling taking their kids to relatives etc...

It's not the school boards problem that other employers don't take their employees safety into consideration. They take care of their own, and other employers do as they see fit as well. It's not a matter of teachers being more valuable. They just have nicer employers!

#38 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

Teachers trek to school from all over the county. Obviously more than one official deemed it not safe it they actually closed the schools. Hell, even the college closed, that should say something. I'm sure certain areas in the city were fine. But that's not the case overall. They obviously had the safety of every worker and every student taken into consideration when they closed the school.

but to play devils advocate here.. Why is the safety of teachers taken into consideration here? No disrespect intended, but people are expected to go to work all across the city and in the county today.. I hear this every year, oh its not safe for the teachers, but what about the store clerks, tim hortons workers, office workers, nurses, etc etc.. they all have to go to work?

For the people that still have to go to work, they need daycare for their kids, and with the schools closed, I am sure people are scrambling taking their kids to relatives etc...

And I totally get what you are saying Jen. It's a comment I have said many a time and this particular time many offices have close but not enough and I do feel badly for those that HAVE to go in. I don't think people should have had to scramble that much as we knew the buses weren't running and they were talking about no schools running in general last night too. People should have had some sort of plan in place for just in case. And if you are already home I really do not see what the big deal is(you in the general not specific.) I am like Jill--really don't like hearing people whine about having their kids home for an extra day. It just isn't such a big deal!

#39 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

when they've already had two PA days this month, yes it is... I'm out of money for craft supplies. Just heard the plows go down my street for the 4th time since 9 am to clear absolutely NOTHING off the road here. If your roads are so bad tell them to lay off Howard Ave and go plow something that needs it.

There is more to do with kids than crafts, curl up watch a movie, pull out a board game, play cards, read a book together there is LOTS that can be done that will not cost a penny. It is really quite sad to see someone being so miserable having to spend time with their own kids.

And as far as being happy to take the snow plows job feel free to apply like everyone else did. There are lots of snow removal companies that take on employees. But when your out there for 48 hours or more after not eating a thing in over 24 hours, not getting any sleep, wearing wet boots from walking through the snow and chilled to the bone don't complain. When your sick and they still need you don't complain. And when you have to make the drive from the city through the back streets to Harrow in this crap and land yourself in the ditch don't complain. It might be the perfect job for you though, there are no kids around so they wouldn't be able to make your life miserable.
A quote from Nemo is coming to mind...

#40 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

You know what... seriously. There was no reason to close the schools today. You guys all wanna keep your kids home everyday, go ahead. I spend tons of time with my kids, when they SHOULD be at school, I want them at school. If your kids aren't screaming their heads off fighting with each other, lucky you. wish I had more to shovel so I could go hide outside but it's all done already.

Seriously this is all part of being a PARENT!!! If I could not deal with my kdis fighting I would not ahve had any or would only ahve had one! Then there would be no fighting. When my kids grow up they will remember the fun we ahd as a family on snow days. Going sledding building snowmen, playing wii, playing board games, having a teddy bear picnic, all kinds of things. You are a clown for crying out loud. Do a show just for them. Paint thier faces make them balloons. Let them paint your face or belly or whatever! Paint their nails put some makeup on them. There are a million things you can do with your kids inside that don't cost $$$ & plenty to do outside. Makes me sad to think that your kids would feel like you would rather go shovel snow then spend time with them. Yes you had 2 extra days with them this month. So what will a 3rd be the end of the world?? WHat will you do on spring break or the summer? What did you do over Christmas. Sorry but your inconvience at being a parent is not worth the life of another child, parent teacher, or person. Simple as that. the roads are nasty in some places so it was necessary simple as that. Quit whining about it.

#41 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

I just went out for a short drive and the roads are not good. Tecumseh is still slick and snow covered and the side roads are traps to get stuck in. It may not have been as much snow, but it sure is a mess out there!

ETA: I am one of the lucky ones, I guess! My kids are being very nice and actually quiet!! It's been a great day so far!! :) My kids bicker, but I think being a boy and a girl they don't quite fight AS much. We nip the yelling in the bud RIGHT away, we do not yell in this house..especially if we are a minor. hehe

Edited by ~Jill~, 02 February 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#42 rwf05

rwf05

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

Am I the only one hoping for a one day extention of the snow day? Kinda selfish i know, but this has been kinda fun so far.

#43 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Am I the only one hoping for a one day extention of the snow day? Kinda selfish i know, but this has been kinda fun so far.

I would happily take another day!

#44 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

We have the offer to use one of our vacation days for tonight and I think I might. I was just out and it's not great, why bother going in? I'll take the night off and be paid. :)

#45 michnat

michnat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

I was going to quit reading this entirely because most of you are pissing me off even more than the kids are right now, but between extra PD days last month, both of them being sick for a week and a half and me being sick the entire month of January... I've just had enough. If you think that makes me a horrible parent, then fine, I suck because I'd rather my kids were playing with their friends and getting an education instead of sitting around the house watching tv all day because they refuse to go outside. I spent a bloody fortune trying to keep them busy on Friday when their school was off while none of the others were and yes, they have completely gone through $20 of craft supplies from dollarama that I bought Friday afternoon... not a single scrap of paper, stickers, markers, tape... nothing is left. So if you all wanna call CAS on me for being pissed off that there's a completely unnecessary snow day, go ahead.

#46 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

So we aren't happy to be with our family? Really...as much as I love having quiet time...having my boys home with me is so wonderful. I don't see what the big deal is about the schools being closed. Families are supossed to be together. I agree with the closings of the schools. The roads are slick. And I don't want my loved ones out there driving in this if they don't have to be. Send the kids out to build a snowman and then take pics...that would be fun. Theres so much you can do together as a family.

#47 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Not everyone feels this was a totally unnecessary day. Howard may be clear, but Tecumseh Rd definitely isn't.

#48 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I was going to quit reading this entirely because most of you are pissing me off even more than the kids are right now, but between extra PD days last month, both of them being sick for a week and a half and me being sick the entire month of January... I've just had enough. If you think that makes me a horrible parent, then fine, I suck because I'd rather my kids were playing with their friends and getting an education instead of sitting around the house watching tv all day because they refuse to go outside. I spent a bloody fortune trying to keep them busy on Friday when their school was off while none of the others were and yes, they have completely gone through $20 of craft supplies from dollarama that I bought Friday afternoon... not a single scrap of paper, stickers, markers, tape... nothing is left. So if you all wanna call CAS on me for being pissed off that there's a completely unnecessary snow day, go ahead.

It's only unnecessary in YOUR eyes, it was obviously deemed necessary in the eyes of those who make the call and they don't close schools for no reason. If your kids are so much of a hassle to have over a few snow days perhaps you could look into boarding school that might suit you a bit better and at least the kids would be around people who want them there. There is more that can be done than watching tv, my tv will not be turned on for the remainder of the day but right now I can hear giggling as they are playing together. You have been given many suggestions on things to do with them but your just being too self centered to realize that maybe all they need is a few ideas of what to do to keep themselves occupied. They did not choose to have the day off. For a clown you sure don't sound like you like kids very much especially your own and you would think that you could entertain your own children when that is what you do as a career/hobby whatever. Sorry that we are pissing you off but sometimes the truth hurts, they are YOUR kids, you choose to have them so if you should be pissed off at anyone then it should be at yourself for making a choice to have children and then having to OMG entertain them when schools are closed, holidays or they get sick... what is this world coming to, maybe the end of time really is coming!

#49 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

It's only unnecessary in YOUR eyes, it was obviously deemed necessary in the eyes of those who make the call and they don't close schools for no reason. If your kids are so much of a hassle to have over a few snow days perhaps you could look into boarding school that might suit you a bit better and at least the kids would be around people who want them there. There is more that can be done than watching tv, my tv will not be turned on for the remainder of the day but right now I can hear giggling as they are playing together. You have been given many suggestions on things to do with them but your just being too self centered to realize that maybe all they need is a few ideas of what to do to keep themselves occupied. They did not choose to have the day off. For a clown you sure don't sound like you like kids very much especially your own and you would think that you could entertain your own children when that is what you do as a career/hobby whatever. Sorry that we are pissing you off but sometimes the truth hurts, they are YOUR kids, you choose to have them so if you should be pissed off at anyone then it should be at yourself for making a choice to have children and then having to OMG entertain them when schools are closed, holidays or they get sick... what is this world coming to, maybe the end of time really is coming!

well said.
it is ONE day off.
ONE day you need to entertain & "deal" with YOUR children.
Sure, i can see why it pisses you off that your house may be a little messy, you have less time to sit on your ass & argue with people in forums, you might have to make an extra meal or two, but jesus f***ing christ it isn't the end of the f***ing world.
Suit them up, give them some tupperware, a shovel, some snacks, maybe even some paint and send 'em on out.
If they don't want to go out then there is always the option of printing off some work sheets online & working on them with them.
But then again, judging by your attitude, you expect the school system to teach them everything & "deal" with them.
But i'm sure if you really tried you could entertain them easily enough & maybe, just maybe have a little fun yourself.

#50 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

I shut the TV off, time limit the DSs and then they had the choice of finding something inside to do or heading out. They've been out there since about 10 am, LOL!

#51 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

Not everyone feels this was a totally unnecessary day. Howard may be clear, but Tecumseh Rd definitely isn't.

And Tecumseh is even a main road! Come take a look back in my subdivision. Everyone I see try and get out gets stuck. Heck the recycle truck even got stuck. Another recycle truck tried to come and help him, along with a bunch of the guys from the neighborhood but it took a lot of shovelling to even get a truck that big thru the snow.

Not everyone lives on one of the main roads that is priority for the city to keep plowed. I am thankful some places closed today and it kept some of the what would have been normal traffic volume, off the roads so they can try and get this cleaned up. It may not be the sheer amount that fell seems like a lot but the snow drifts in places are impassible.

#52 Kristi

Kristi

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

Damm...Who removed my post!! Whats up wit that..I was no more rude than anyone else....This is Canada...I am entitled to my opinion!!!

#53 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

But your the parent -- so your kids 'refusing' to go outside is crazy. Tell them to get dressed and go. All the kids in the neighborhood here are out playing together and have been all day! I love seeing that. They would not be getting any more education at school today and likely probably would have been watching a movie etc there anyway. On these days they get to be kids!! Hooray for that.

#54 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Damm...Who removed my post!! Whats up wit that..I was no more rude than anyone else....This is Canada...I am entitled to my opinion!!!

i removed it
please check your pm

#55 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

what the heck did I just walk into.....and me without my popcorn

MY OPINION is they made the call a little too early BUT the call was absolutely necessary to cancel the buses today, at least in the county. We still can't leave our driveway because the road isn't plowed and covered in snow drift making trying to drive on it impossible

And in true snow day fashion, I allowed the older ones to sleep in and the younger one was outside having the time of her life with her dad for over 2 hours, came in and had the traditional hot chocolate and is now snuggling up watching a movie..

all free and the memories are..priceless

#56 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

This has been one of the best days off! Could it get any prettier out!? Huge white fluffy flakes! Have no desire to try and struggle to get out of the neighborhood! So we played outside and went sledding and I need to shovel again soon! Need to get all the play clothes dry and warm for another stint outside!

#57 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have to say i agree with all of those that are enjoying the day off with thier children! I was supposed to drive 45 minutes to a training for work this morning and thankfully it was cancelled. I was over joyed to get to spend the extra day with Grace. Unfortunately she's been sleeping through most of it. I simply can't understand why people wouldn't want to spend extra time with their children?!? They are only young once, you only get one chance to do this! Take full advantage of it! I wish I could be a SAHM and be with her all the time. Count your blessings.

#58 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Today has been a great day even with all the crap I'm dealing with.

#59 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

My son is bored out of his mind and screaming at me but I refuse to let it get to me, I told him he has 2 choices if he's that bored, 1 he can get dressed with me and go play outside or he can go nap. We've done a movie, fun snack time, played Wii and played with his race track. My son only goes to school 9 days , 10 max a MONTH, I can't imagine what some of the parents on here who are complaining about 1 extra day off of school would do in my situation?
I value my days off (being a single parent, that's when I get my errands done) but it's not my child's fault the schools decided to keep everyone safe in a situation they can't really determine safe or not until it's on us. The winds were crazy last night and I would not have wanted anyone out if they didn't have to.

#60 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

this is normal day for us off
so my kids do not no any differet right now LOL
here hopping for bus tommor LOL