6 replies to this topic

#1 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

Ds (4) and I sat down tonight and wrote down our house rules. I put them on a Bristol board with symbols for each rule. I am really hoping that it will help yo have specific rules written down.

Do you have specific house rules? Are they written down? Care to share your list?

Ours:
"Do as you're told. Listen!
No hitting or fighting
No saying bad words
No yelling or back talk
Tidy up when you are told
Eat your food
Only one junk food treat per day, after a meal
Tell the truth."

I left roo in case we need to add more.

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hands and feet to ourselves.
Clean up your mess.
No yelling or disrespecting others AND be considerate to others.
Do your chores before getting priviledges.
They are to wash before and after eating.
No running in the house and no throwing of anything in the house.

They are not written down, they know the rules and for the most part they follow them well.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

we dont have them written down but ds does have a chore chart on the fridge. He has to do the dinner dishes,clean his room and playroom,bring his dirty laundry downstairs and make sure all lights are off when no one is in a room. He chose hisown chores which I found makes it easier to get him o do.

The house rules are not too many
clean up your on mess
no fighting or hurting
no toys in the living room

#4 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

does he understand what back talk is? K is like I"m not talking backwards.

#5 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Oh, I'm adding wash hands - when you get home and before eating.

And Aubrey, I might change that wording lol. I think he understands, but maybe it's a good way to teach what 'be respectful' means.

Its interesting how the rules would change or be expressed differently for different ages.

#6 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Great job Danielle!

I too used rule charts a few times. The one that stand out the most is the point where I was always playing referee with my older 2. Everything to who sits where, what shows they get to watch, whos turn it is for EVERYTHING.....on and on. Anyway, these are the rules we came up that WORKED for us. They still fought (which is normal if done properly) but they didn't bring me into it as a referee and learned to comprimise with each other.

-no tattle tales - tell only to get someone out of trouble not into trouble.
--consequence if you tell to get someone into trouble you both will be punished

-always try to work out a solution that is fair before you come to me
--consequence is if you come to me wanting it figured out my decision is the one you both have to live with

Oh they both learned quick that if mom was dragged in it wouldn't be pretty for either of them. I was amazed how quickly things turned around and how they had to make the decision to work together through comprimise/negotiation or lose completely by having mom decide.

#7 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Great job Danielle!

I too used rule charts a few times. The one that stand out the most is the point where I was always playing referee with my older 2. Everything to who sits where, what shows they get to watch, whos turn it is for EVERYTHING.....on and on. Anyway, these are the rules we came up that WORKED for us. They still fought (which is normal if done properly) but they didn't bring me into it as a referee and learned to comprimise with each other.

-no tattle tales - tell only to get someone out of trouble not into trouble.
--consequence if you tell to get someone into trouble you both will be punished

-always try to work out a solution that is fair before you come to me
--consequence is if you come to me wanting it figured out my decision is the one you both have to live with

Oh they both learned quick that if mom was dragged in it wouldn't be pretty for either of them. I was amazed how quickly things turned around and how they had to make the decision to work together through comprimise/negotiation or lose completely by having mom decide.

Hmm...this is interesting. We definitely deal a lot with squabbling and I'm always the referee...and I hate that. I might give this a shot to see if it will work well for our family.