#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

do you give people on corners or expressways money

this guy was holding a sign at the expressway today saying will work for food at the same time he was smoking
i am thinking how can you afford to smoke but not eat

#2 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

I do sometimes, depends if I have change, plus I don't see them very often. I work with a girl who will tell the person to meet her at Burger kIng or whatever fast food restaurant is the closest and buys them a meal.

#3 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Nope. Sometimes if we have extra money we have bought food for them. But never give money.

#4 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

I don't stop my car to give anyone money, but if I am walking on the street and someone asks me I will give them change if I have it. When I was a smoker I used to give away a cigarette or two if they asked for one.

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have and would again if I felt they needed it. Call me gullable or what ever you will, I prefer to believe that I'm helping.

#6 newagemum1

newagemum1

2 hands working can do more than 1000 clasped in prayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

I do any time I have money on me. Ive also brought them food and one particular homeless individual a blanket, toothbrush/toothpaste and a few meals. A lot of us are only one paycheck from being homeless and its scary. I try to remember that even those who have fallen by the wayside of society have a story.

#7 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Im a B and don't give to beggers. I dont look at them when Im passing by walking or driving. NOW if they are playing music on the street then maybe... :dunno

#8 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

No because i have a problem with people IN the streets. It endangers them and the drivers.

#9 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'll buy a person a meal if they look like they need it, but I will not give anyone money, not even spare change. Talk to a police officer and they will tell you that most of these people have a home and work or get assistance, but blow their money on booze, cigarettes and drugs and resort to pan handling as a result. I would rather make a donation to a local food bank or mission than support a persons habit!

#10 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

I consider myself very lucky and even thou we are just getting buy I have given money out to ppl on corners. In the states the most. We are SO lucky to live here. I would hope that trying to give someone or one of their family something to eat is a good feeling. I don't even want to know how many scam b/c I know my intentions were good.

#11 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

I will give money but I really prefer to give people food, clothes, ect

#12 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

here's the thing. there is a girl who stands across the street from the timmies on walker road (near applebees) so one day (while waiting for my girls to finish their dance lessons) I go in timmies and low and behold they have a help wanted sign. So I start talking to the manager about the girl across the street how she is begging for money. Well the manager tells me that she has been offered jobs and refuses to work, that its easier to beg for money than to work. So I refuse to give people money, because there are jobs out there (the guy on the express has been offered countless jobs) and they refuse.

#13 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

i donate to the mission goodfellows salvation army and the amherstburg and essex food banks
but i would never give to anyone standing on the street or in parking lots

#14 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'll buy a person a meal if they look like they need it, but I will not give anyone money, not even spare change. Talk to a police officer and they will tell you that most of these people have a home and work or get assistance, but blow their money on booze, cigarettes and drugs and resort to pan handling as a result. I would rather make a donation to a local food bank or mission than support a persons habit!

i am more like this too.

right before xmas, i was going into the walmart by me and right outside the enterance was a (looked to be) homeless man holding a sign that said "mchungry". i walked by him, he wished me a good evening, didn't ask me for money or anything...he just seemed like such a friendly, nice man who was down on his luck. so dh and i walked over to mcd's to get our coffee's (which we always do. you need to have a coffee in hand to deal with the ppl in our walmart lol) and we bought him a meal and a coffee and brought it out to him. he was so thankful and appreciative. if he really was homeless or not and needed money, i'm not sure but at least at the end of the night i knew i at least did *something* i could without any kind of guilt attatched to help him.

Edited by It'sMe, 07 February 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#15 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

I do any time I have money on me. Ive also brought them food and one particular homeless individual a blanket, toothbrush/toothpaste and a few meals. A lot of us are only one paycheck from being homeless and its scary. I try to remember that even those who have fallen by the wayside of society have a story.

just wanted to say thank you for this... Sadly how very true this is!!

maybe it's because I'm a little down in the dumps today, but your post actually made my eyes well up, and I had to quickly grab a tissue to not appear as if I were crying!!

#16 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Aww see I'm not always a b*tch lol.

Seriously though.I can be judgmental sure. I will judge based on your actions are or the words that come out of your mouth, not because of what you look like or whether you have a huge house or are homeLESS.

#17 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

here's the thing. there is a girl who stands across the street from the timmies on walker road (near applebees) so one day (while waiting for my girls to finish their dance lessons) I go in timmies and low and behold they have a help wanted sign. So I start talking to the manager about the girl across the street how she is begging for money. Well the manager tells me that she has been offered jobs and refuses to work, that its easier to beg for money than to work. So I refuse to give people money, because there are jobs out there (the guy on the express has been offered countless jobs) and they refuse.

is that the girl in the pink coat? I seen her, she looks so young, I do feel for them, but there are proper places to donate too, and that is where I do donate too...
There is a shelter for woman on Bridge Avenue, I donate foods/supplies too ... then Missions and the Unemployment help center...

#18 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Nope..they dont get a dime from me.....

They are not homeless esp the way they dress..I lived downtown and have had experience with the homeless and these people are not them...

Plus there are places to go for help...food banks, shelters, etc.

Another note..there was a guy across the street from my friends house...they were moving and her boyfriend needed help to move some large items into the trailer....he approached him and told him he would give him some food in exchange for a little bit of help and the guy denied it..he wanted money....

Plus a friend of mine knows the one person and he is an alcoholic...he uses his money to buy booze...

So nope...I will not ever give beggars money.

#19 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

There was a guy that stood on the corner up here on Tec/Huron Church... he worked with my brother... was getting unemployment too... and was making good money for that... plus his wife worked, my brother seen him, he tried to pretend not to see him, someone from Esso tried hiring him, he said that he couldn't do that shift, he wasn't allowed... it's because he was collecting unemployment and couldn't work a job that claimed him.. so he was looking for money or side jobs only..so I could see his point a bit... but.... maybe grab a lawnmower/shovel and do stuff that way.. my son and his friend did that last snow fall and made $70 between them

#20 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

is that the girl in the pink coat? I seen her, she looks so young, I do feel for them, but there are proper places to donate too, and that is where I do donate too...
There is a shelter for woman on Bridge Avenue, I donate foods/supplies too ... then Missions and the Unemployment help center...

Yes Ive seen this girl many times... shes usually dressed decent and doesnt look homeless... Im not sure if she was the same girl but I saw one that looked very similar to her on Tecumseh Rd by Forest Glade Dr at the Petro there too... I really dont get it.... Why would somebody rather degrade themselves and beg on the street than work a job theyve been offered... I thought maybe she was turning tricks... She carries a pretty hefty backpack with her usually.

#21 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

The girl in the pink coat stands out on Walker Road everyday. There is also a guy that stands/walks along where you turn onto Walker Road from the expressway(going West) He hides his very expensive bike so people can't see his transportation and has been doing this for a couple of years. My husband offered the girl in the pink coat a job and she turned it down. These people are in my opinion lazy and taking for granted the generosity of other people. It really bothers me that they do this, I work in the area so I see these two all the time.

#22 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

I work downtown and get asked almost everyday for money. I never give it. I give my money to places that will help these people should they seek it. Most are scammers. A lot of them give me the same song and dance all the time, particularly around the bus station (I just came in from BC and want to see my son in Chatham, but I don't have the fare to get there). I've also been followed to my car in the municipal parking lot by people asking for money and actually banging on my window.
These people standing along the streets with these signs that aren't really looking for work... well I wish there was a way they could be banned from doing it. I see them and it makes me feel like I'm in downtown Detroit. But if people stopped giving them money (or stopped taking them up on their services - pink coat girl), they wouldn't be there anymore and maybe they'd find something better to do with their time.

#23 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

They are not homeless esp the way they dress..I lived downtown and have had experience with the homeless and these people are not them...

Another note..there was a guy across the street from my friends house...they were moving and her boyfriend needed help to move some large items into the trailer....he approached him and told him he would give him some food in exchange for a little bit of help and the guy denied it..he wanted money....

Plus a friend of mine knows the one person and he is an alcoholic...he uses his money to buy booze...

Um ya offering someone food instead of money for a service is INSULTING! Homeless or not! Would you offer movers that you hired some pizza for payment? These peoplea re human beings and if we treated them with a bit of dignity perhaps they would feel better about themselves. There are many more alcoholics with nice homes than homeless people ftr.

#24 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:09 AM

I'll give food, but 9 times out of 10 I have no money on me anyways. I'd rather give food than money to go buy alcohol or drugs

#25 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

Um ya offering someone food instead of money for a service is INSULTING! Homeless or not! Would you offer movers that you hired some pizza for payment? These peoplea re human beings and if we treated them with a bit of dignity perhaps they would feel better about themselves. There are many more alcoholics with nice homes than homeless people ftr.

if its so insulting to offer food then maybe they shouldnt be standing around with signs that say will work for food
most of them are not HOMELESS

#26 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

Unless that man in particular was holding a sign saying he would work for food, it is insulting and even more so that you would lump them all together.

#27 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have to think they would make more money working then they would standing at the corner of Walker & EC ROW.
They have been alot of jobs posted over the last couple of months and alot that arent posted.. I know this because we have been sending resumes off weekly for dh..
I believe if people put the time into actively seeking employment all day like they are begging, they would have a much better chance at getting ajob and supporting their family.
Yes my heart goes out when I read the signs about not having enough money to feed his family etc. But really, they are jobs to be had, granted it they pay $10 an hour, so either, they are making more than ten bucks an hour beggin, and if thats the case, maybe keep it up..

#28 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Unless that man in particular was holding a sign saying he would work for food, it is insulting and even more so that you would lump them all together.

Pretty much all of them are - at least the ones people are talking about in this thread. But then again, you aren't here to see them.

#29 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Tim I am well aware of what the homeless do. I live in a MAJOR Canadian city with over a million people. All of my family and friends are in Windsor and I did move back for a 6 month period last year. While I am aware of your attempt at trolling, stop it truly takes away from the debate.

I stand by my previous comment that if the man was holding a sign like that then of course he was in the wrong, if he wasn't, it's insulting.

ETA: Nowhere in the original post does it have the word WINDSOR. We have corners and expressways here too. Cheers!

Edited by newagemum1, 09 February 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#30 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

I'm not trolling - I'm giving you the proper information. And since you pointed out what the original post said, you left something out:

do you give people on corners or expressways money

this guy was holding a sign at the expressway today saying will work for food at the same time he was smoking
i am thinking how can you afford to smoke but not eat

It would appear that I'm more on topic than you are. In fact, I am strictly on topic. The fact is, most of these people in WINDSOR - of which most people in this thread are talking about - have these signs. Yet they don't really want the food. They are scamming. I drive by a couple of them nearly every single day. So yeah, you not living here leaves you out of the loop for this topic.

Edited by Cowboy From Hell, 09 February 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#31 newagemum1

newagemum1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

She asked if you give beggars money. You are annoying me. Shoo.

#32 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

No I dont. I seen one girl a couple months ago asking for money for food then she was in line behind me buying candles and other house stuff. And I seen my friend (when I was younger) beg for money downtown just to see if he could get any and he made like $40 in 20 minutes.

#33 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Yes and part of that discussion was about these people with "will work for food" signs. They are all over Windsor. I believe she is talking more about them than your normal homeless people. At any rate, that's what most of the discussion has been about.

I do not give these people money either. Nor do I give them food. I have found out background information on several of them, and they are, indeed, scammers. As others have stated, there are other avenues for them to take if they DO need food and/or money. There's a reason they are on the streets doing what they do.

#34 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

No I dont. I seen one girl a couple months ago asking for money for food then she was in line behind me buying candles and other house stuff. And I seen my friend (when I was younger) beg for money downtown just to see if he could get any and he made like $40 in 20 minutes.

LOL... when I was younger, a couple girlfriends and I sat on the steps at the Palace Theatre and sang - not well mind you... and we made some decent money!! We thought it was hilarious because our intention was not to "beg/sing for money" but another one of our goofball friends put a hat down in front of us, and people started throwing change in!!