31 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

Did anyone read the article in the Windsor Star about A'burg residents fighting to have a convicted pedophiles name removed from scoreboard and street sign?

What a HUGE mistake on the part of the towne. If I was a parent out there I would also be angry that a place primarily used by children was named after a convicted pedophile.

Just wrong!

Edited by vals, 10 February 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#2 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

According to the windsor star, they returned the donation.

No way in heck would I appreciate the name of a pedophile on the scoreboard at an arena MY KIDS PLAYED AT!! wth was the town thinking to accept this money in first place!

Agree, wrong!

#3 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Another related story with more info. Just tragic!

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

bad judgment that's for sure!

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

the thing that gets me pissed is this guy was only in jail for 1 yr and he said it was "a nice big vacation"

#6 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

they gave Massen his money back?? i didnt hear that...
I know yrs ago i had "guy" friends that hung out at his place A LOT, working on hotrod cars and garage crap... they always said he was a weirdo, but he gave them money..

#7 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

It was on the news last night and in the paper that the town returned his donation. But ped is saying he has it writing that his name is to be used whether they accepted the donation or not.

#8 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

It was on the news last night and in the paper that the town returned his donation. But ped is saying he has it writing that his name is to be used whether they accepted the donation or not.

thats why the mayor wont say anything else on the matter cause he states legal matters
the ped will probably sue now and end up getting it anyway

#9 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

I found more details from an A'burg resident.

I guess what happened was that the land adjacent to the complex was owned by Massen and the towne wanted to expand the complex so rather than pay for the land, Massen agreed to donate it if the towne put his name on the street, sign and few other things. He didn't actually donate money (no cash exchange), so what the towne has now done is pay him for the land which is what they should have done in the first place. I guess its well known to EVERYONE who this guy is and has been for years. Some council member were actually against it from the get go and warned what would happen. He can sue, but its doubtful he will win because there never was an actual cash exchange.

#10 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

Am I the only one who read this line.... He later received a pardon

Um....Ok then.....

What he said about the year being a "vacation" was a bad but. I thought we allowed people second chances here. I thought that if you did your time then your name was "cleared" you were allowed to be "forgiven". He had the land and the $$ to give. He felt he did the right thing. In 50yrs nobody would know who the hell he was! He is an old man hoping to make up for what he has already been legally forgiven for. He is not a current offender. this is a 20yr old conviction! How has he lived since then? has he "re-offended"?

So, I guess it depends on what rules are broken if you are allowed to be forgiven your mistakes or not. I find the fact they say "Like hockey coach and serial sex offender Graham James". Where is the proof he is LIKE this guy. Graham Jame re-offended! The media and their lies to scare people! What else in these articles are made up to scare?

Geez.....what double standards there are out there!

#11 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

Um....Ok then.....

What he said about the year being a "vacation" was a bad but. I thought we allowed people second chances here. I thought that if you did your time then your name was "cleared" you were allowed to be "forgiven". He had the land and the $$ to give. He felt he did the right thing. In 50yrs nobody would know who the hell he was! He is an old man hoping to make up for what he has already been legally forgiven for. He is not a current offender. this is a 20yr old conviction! How has he lived since then? has he "re-offended"?

So, I guess it depends on what rules are broken if you are allowed to be forgiven your mistakes or not. I find the fact they say "Like hockey coach and serial sex offender Graham James". Where is the proof he is LIKE this guy. Graham Jame re-offended! The media and their lies to scare people! What else in these articles are made up to scare?

I guess you haven't read both articles. His first offence was in 1965 so yes he is a repeat offender - several times over.

#12 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Altho he was "forgiven" I think returning the donation since it was for 'naming rights' was the correct move. He may have been forgiven, but having a building or item named after you is an honour this man doesn't deserve, particularly since its a recreational facility where children frequent. If he want to attempt to make amends for his consciences sake then an anonymous donation with no strings would have been appropriate.

After further thought and reading a couple more of the links here, this line particular bothers me "He has also made more donations to the complex and secured more naming rights." To me it sounds moreso like a taunt that he was pardoned and is free and will now plaster his name all over the town as a reminder. I understand they needed the money, but as i mentioned it would have been more appropriate to just anonymously donate the money simply for the sake of helping and not to be memorialized.

Edited by Ellivort, 12 February 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#13 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Altho he was "forgiven" I think returning the donation since it was for 'naming rights' was the correct move. He may have been forgiven, but having a building or item named after you is an honour this man doesn't deserve, particularly since its a recreational facility where children frequent. If he want to attempt to make amends for his consciences sake then an anonymous donation with no strings would have been appropriate.

Exactly. It's easy for the court to forgive him when it wasn't the court or the courts children it happened to. I bet those many boys haven't forgiven him, not their parents.

#14 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Yes I did read both articles....He was pardoned is the point. It has been 20yrs since the last conviction and there is no proof or even allegation he has SINCE re-offended!

I am most upset that people are taking everything in these articles at face value when they out and out lie in one of them as a scare tactic!

If he has been forgiven then how does he not deserve it? So, If a murder serves his time then, years later,is pardoned he should be held in contempt for life? If he decides to build a facility for families for violent crime he should not be allowed to name it as he chooses because he once killed someone?

Sorry people...I know way too many people who have done their time, never re-offended and then been ostracized for life to agree with this 100%! His record is currently Clean.

I am actually not sure HOW I feel about it. He should allowed to donate as much as he wants! His name should be allowed to be attached to that donation. I am uncomfortable with his name being prominent. For that I am ashamed! I am pulling the double standard too. So, I must follow logic instead of irrational feelings. No matter how bad it "feels" he has the right to do as he chooses. He is LEGALLY allowed.

#15 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

Just because he served his time does not erase what he did. Nor does it fix his reputation, which is obvious.

And a person's reputation is important, especially in a situation like this.

The whole thing just stinks. I hope that the town has learned it's lesson, and that they jump through whatever legal hurdles necessary to get this man's name off of every sign.

I'm glad to see that they have returned the money, at least.

#16 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

Just because he served his time does not erase what he did. Nor does it fix his reputation, which is obvious.

And a person's reputation is important, especially in a situation like this.

The whole thing just stinks. I hope that the town has learned it's lesson, and that they jump through whatever legal hurdles necessary to get this man's name off of every sign.

I'm glad to see that they have returned the money, at least.

So.....following this logic....

The other debate over Catholic Religion.....How you live your entire life is important. You should not be forgiven for your sins. Why would anyone want their children to learn the RC religion when they teach the opposite!

#17 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Yes I did read both articles....He was pardoned is the point. It has been 20yrs since the last conviction and there is no proof or even allegation he has SINCE re-offended!

I am most upset that people are taking everything in these articles at face value when they out and out lie in one of them as a scare tactic!

If he has been forgiven then how does he not deserve it? So, If a murder serves his time then, years later,is pardoned he should be held in contempt for life? If he decides to build a facility for families for violent crime he should not be allowed to name it as he chooses because he once killed someone?

Sorry people...I know way too many people who have done their time, never re-offended and then been ostracized for life to agree with this 100%! His record is currently Clean.

I am actually not sure HOW I feel about it. He should allowed to donate as much as he wants! His name should be allowed to be attached to that donation. I am uncomfortable with his name being prominent. For that I am ashamed! I am pulling the double standard too. So, I must follow logic instead of irrational feelings. No matter how bad it "feels" he has the right to do as he chooses. He is LEGALLY allowed.

So you're telling me, that if someone rapes your son, spends a year in prison that all is ok because he's served his time? That you want this mans name flashed on a scoreboard every time your son goes to an arena because your son should be able to forgive this man, because hey if the government says he's forgiven then he should be forgiven!

#18 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

Um....Ok then.....

I'm glad someone said this. I completely agree, but that was a can of worms that even I didn't want to open.

#19 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

So you're telling me, that if someone rapes your son, spends a year in prison that all is ok because he's served his time? That you want this mans name flashed on a scoreboard every time your son goes to an arena because your son should be able to forgive this man, because hey if the government says he's forgiven then he should be forgiven!

It would KILL me every time I saw it. I do agree though with his LEGAL right! I am someone who believes in allowing people to atone for their sins.
Sorry!

#20 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

It would kill me that he was even pardoned in the first place. Perhaps the issue here is that he was ever pardoned in the first place? But what's done is done. He received a legal pardon, whether people like it or not, and he should be afforded every legal right that everyone else has.

#21 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

He's a friggen pedophile not a bank robber. Sorry no forgiveness here and his name should not be on a scoreboard or a street sign where KIDS HANG OUT AT or anywhere for that matter!!!!!! Its like honouring him... forget that crap!! Put someones name who deserves the recognigation!!!

#22 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

He's a friggen pedophile not a bank robber. Sorry no forgiveness here and his name should not be on a scoreboard or a street sign where KIDS HANG OUT AT or anywhere for that matter!!!!!! Its like honouring him... forget that crap!! Put someones name who deserves the recognigation!!!

NO HE IS NOT!! he WAS!!!!! and he has been PARDONED UNDER THE LAW!!!This is my point! You refuse to use the same standard for this person as you would anyone else!!! Why!? Because YOUR "morality" says so?

Like I said...Not something I would be "happy" about. I refuse to use the same double standard you are though. I refuse to pick and choose like that. I refuse to impose MY morality on others! Legally he has the same rights right as any other person.

I really hope he does decide to fight this! It is discrimination! He should sue for every thing he donated to be returned with interest!

#23 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

This guy was given a second chance and he re-offended. A'burg is a small, tight nit community or they once where and everyone knew who this man was and what he did. From what a friend is telling me, he use to fix tv's and electronics and had this big sprawling farm that was a lot fun to play on if you were a kid back them. He use to hire young boys (usually out of towne) in the summer to do the work and pay them to do sexually explicit acts. I'm sorry, but when you are talking about exploiting children, you are dealing with the lowest kind of scum IMO. THIS MAN IS A PEDOPHILE! You don't just wake up one day magically healed. Yes the Windsor Star does from time to time sensationalize, but this story has pretty much been bang on and from what I'm told is not even giving half the nasty facts that surround this guy. He did not donate the money to be a nice man, when the towne approached him and offered to buy his land he said he would donate it if he could have his name on a street, sign, building etc... The town stupidly agreed, even when people heard what was happening and boycotted it. This is not a he's changed lets give him a chance situation. This is a man that most people in their 30's, 40's, 50's + grew up knowing they could not go near because he was a pervert. I would not go to any park that bore the name of a man who was twice convicted of sexually assaulting a minor, pardoned or not!

#24 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

I also wanted to remind you all....I have been raped, I have been molested as a child by a family member also. I will never forgive these people. I have no idea what happened to the guy who raped me. (I hear he has been in and out of prison). I know the man who molested me did so to others. He has never been charged with what he has done. I will never allow a child alone with him.

I, on a very rare occasion, am "forced" to associate with the family member who molested me. I have never told the rest of the family what he did to me. Only 1 of them know about the 2 others I know of also (and that person knows nothing of my "issues" with him). It was a VERY long time ago. People tell me "he is not the person he used to be". I refuse to give him that much credit. I AM civil with him though. It kills me a little inside each time I have to be. This man did not pay for his crimes but, also has never been charged either. He has the same Legal rites as anyone else. I am willing to accept that others see him different than I do. that they love him for what they see. and he deserves that love!

Maybe I'm just too forgiving? Maybe I just like to find something good in everyone? But, it is not a morality I try to push on anyone else. The "others" refuse to acknowlege he is alive. That is their right and I never try to change their minds. I am not going to be the person who "tells" and breaks the hearts of those who do love him. WHY? Because it WAS a long time ago. Maybe he has changed and I have no right to ruin his life now if he has.

#25 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

NO HE IS NOT!! he WAS!!!!! and he has been PARDONED UNDER THE LAW!!!This is my point! You refuse to use the same standard for this person as you would anyone else!!! Why!? Because YOUR "morality" says so?

Like I said...Not something I would be "happy" about. I refuse to use the same double standard you are though. I refuse to pick and choose like that. I refuse to impose MY morality on others! Legally he has the same rights right as any other person.

I really hope he does decide to fight this! It is discrimination! He should sue for every thing he donated to be returned with interest!

WOW! come down man. excuse me! he WAS a ped.. i really dont care if he USED to be or STILL IS a ped. His name doesnt deserve to be on a gawd darn arena scoreboard or a figgen street sign. ANd THATS how I feel..

#26 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

well he may have been pardoned bu saying your time is jail was a nice vacation does not sound like your regret what you did nor are sorry for it. So why the hell should you get your name on something that is frequented by children!

#27 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Just so everyone understands, being pardoned for an offense does not mean you did not commit it, it simply means the record of the offense was erased. For what ever the judge in 1990 and then again in 2004 agreed to remove the offenses from MAssen's record. Up until 2007, sex offenders could still get a pardon for old offenses based on behavior, today with registries and other safety measures set in place, it is not the case.

#28 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

well he may have been pardoned bu saying your time is jail was a nice vacation does not sound like your regret what you did nor are sorry for it. So why the hell should you get your name on something that is frequented by children!

I agreed with this! I am just saying it is a double standard to say he is not allowed to do this. Legally he is because he was pardoned. I have more issue with the fact he WAS pardoned and now has all the same legal rights, is not still a "convicted sex offender" than I do with his name being used though. With his attitude I have no idea how he got a pardon! THAT sickens me!

The town approached HIM on top of it. Now, because of "rumor" and not legal fact they are taking a double back. That too is wrong! sorry, but legality and morality have to be separated. Without that separation you get theocracies. (yes, that is a far way off, I'm just saying)

#29 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Just so everyone understands, being pardoned for an offense does not mean you did not commit it, it simply means the record of the offense was erased. For what ever the judge in 1990 and then again in 2004 agreed to remove the offenses from MAssen's record. Up until 2007, sex offenders could still get a pardon for old offenses based on behavior, today with registries and other safety measures set in place, it is not the case.

You are right. BUT, since it is no longer on your record you can no longer be treated as if you did commit the crime. It restores your civil rights.

#30 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Um....Ok then.....

i dont care if he has been pardoned or not
there are different standards for what people have done if he was a bank robber then hey whatever
he molested children whether the government wants to pardon him or not it does not erase what he did and never will he still commited the crime

i know a supervisor at that complex and just as an aside anyone going to the arena can look in the bleachers and see a man who is not there with anyone but has a video camera recording the kids

Edited by sherri, 12 February 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#31 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Well I live in this town , and my kids go to the new complex 3x a week, and It makes me sick to think this "pardoned" ex- pedophile would have a street and score board named after him. I am glad the town is doing the right thing and paying this loser. They were dumb in the first place to even consider it!
and let me tell ya, If anyone ever touched any of my kids inappropriately his parts would be cut off and maybe I would get lucky enough to be "pardoned"

#32 MKmom

MKmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

I don't think that being a pedophile is something you stop being. Maybe you stop the behaviour... Kind of like an alcoholic- people who used to drink a lot don't normally say they "used to be" an alcoholic. They say they are a recovering alcoholic.
My in-laws live in A'burg. That guy still hangs out at the arena all the time. It's creepy.