25 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

Thanks to D, I started watching this show awhile ago.. I think its an okay show, but the last 2 weeks it seems to have suddenly gotten better!

I was actually happy to see Crosby stick up for himself! And then last night was like OH LA LA!!! although it was a crappy thing for him to do!

I love the actor Michael Emerson ( who used to be on LOST) who played Andy the bug guy.. he is a brilliant actor, however, I cant believe that Max's parents missed the Aspergers... I thought Michael portrayed Andy brilliantly!

just my 2 cents :)

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

BAH! I missed it last nite cuz I was working. But it IS a great show!! I'm going to go find it online right now...

#3 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

oh it was good last night!!!

#4 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

I LOVE this show. last night i watched closely. ( my brother does have aspergers as well) I thought he did a great job. I know ever individual diagnosed with aspergers or any type of disablity on the autism spectrum - are different. but he did a great job.

I almost popped some stitches when she walked in on them doing the deed in her bathroom on her sink!!
And oh Crosby..... WOWZA!!!!

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

LOL.. I totally forgot about the bathroom scene and then to offer the bed LMAO!!

#6 ShannonC

ShannonC

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

I love this show and last nights episode was great.
I'm also really loving the addition of John Corbett to the cast. He's awesome.

#7 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:44 AM

It is and was a great show lol I lvoed last night but I like crosby with Jabars mum so I hope they work it out. As for the bathroom I was lol at that one. As for missing the aspergers I think they were just too absorbed in their thoughts for the party to catch it.

#8 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:44 AM

LOVE the show!!! i have seen every single episode. Love it.

#9 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

never miss a night
love it

#10 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

I haven't watched last nights yet but my guess before I do is that they missed it because their own son just got diagnosed not that long ago and they are so consumed with his meltdowns and managing his day that it would be hard for them to even imagine an adult with Aspergers and how that would even look. But that's just my guess :-)

#11 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

aw, i love this show. I love how real it is and all the issues thay cover in a non contravertial way. I LOVE this show.

#12 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

K. All caught up. I SOOOOO knew that the Crosby thing was going to happen weeks ago. When that fight happened with Crosby and Jasmine's brother, I called it way back then.

I really like this show. I like how natural it feels. It doesn't feel like acting. It's like they are given a script to go off of, but get to improv or something, cuz all the conversations feel so real.

And John Corbett...yum. He's always been cute, but especially in this role. He looks great!

#13 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

I haven't watched last nights yet but my guess before I do is that they missed it because their own son just got diagnosed not that long ago and they are so consumed with his meltdowns and managing his day that it would be hard for them to even imagine an adult with Aspergers and how that would even look. But that's just my guess :-)

You are probably right, but watch the episode. I called it right away! The bug guy was very very particular with how things were, where things went and what time things happenned and in what order.

#14 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

i like how when zek what the bug man had
hear what the bug man had
he step in help the man get the job done
i was not sure how i like it when he was talking the the granson dad
seem alitle weid to me
and i think the Dad has bioplor,
and it going to come out now he off drugs and alocla

#15 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

You are probably right, but watch the episode. I called it right away! The bug guy was very very particular with how things were, where things went and what time things happenned and in what order.

Oh Yah I would have caught that right away even if I hadn't read this thread. But I also figured out why the parents didn't see it - because they hadn't really thought of how an adult with Asperger's might present.

You know the part that REALLY bugged me in this episode (pun unintentional but made me lol when I realized it)? Was how demanding the other kids and parents are at the party. This is a serious bone of contention for me - overall I think the writers on this show have done an amazing and respectful job of portraying a child with Aspergers and how he and his family are finding their way after the diagnosis. My child had milk allergies as a young child and has HUGE sensory issues etc etc - but I would either bring him his own food or teach him to politely say "no thank you". Teaching our kids to advocate for themselves is one thing but being rude is another. I would never allow my child to run screaming and destroying someone's house. We might have to leave early but I wouldn't just let him run around like that. I don't know - I think it just gives the wrong idea - like just because our kids have Autism that all of us parents are going to be bossy and demanding and let our kids run around and wreak havoc.

Many times I have asked people for their understanding as my child has learned new things and there might be many bumps in the road but I would never use my child's Autism as an excuse for rude behaviour. Like if my kid got overstimulated and needed to bounce or jump I would find an appropriate place and way for him to do it - I wouldn't just let him jump on someone's bed or couch and say "Oh - well, he's autistic and needs to bounce". I don't know if this makes sense to people but I would hate for others to start thinking that if they invite a child with Aspergers or any other "special need" that they would turn around and destroy the house or make outrageous food demands. But I think most people can understand it's just a portrayal on a show.

#16 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

You are absolutely right!

I forgot about that part of the episode. Anyone I know that has children with severe food allergies or sensitivities brings their own food for their child, and yeah even the parents were rude at that part..

#17 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

You know the part that REALLY bugged me in this episode (pun unintentional but made me lol when I realized it)? Was how demanding the other kids and parents are at the party. This is a serious bone of contention for me - overall I think the writers on this show have done an amazing and respectful job of portraying a child with Aspergers and how he and his family are finding their way after the diagnosis. My child had milk allergies as a young child and has HUGE sensory issues etc etc - but I would either bring him his own food or teach him to politely say "no thank you". Teaching our kids to advocate for themselves is one thing but being rude is another. I would never allow my child to run screaming and destroying someone's house. We might have to leave early but I wouldn't just let him run around like that. I don't know - I think it just gives the wrong idea - like just because our kids have Autism that all of us parents are going to be bossy and demanding and let our kids run around and wreak havoc.

I actually thought that part was similar with throwing any children's parties these days, with or without the involvement of aspergers or autism. I'm sure at some point someone has had to deal with overbearing parents during a party, and most of the times you see it isn't even because of special needs children. Other examples are lazy parents who won't get off their butts to stop their children from behaving like that in someones home/business, helicopter parents (I'm guilty here, lol) who hover over them and what they eat and can give bizarre requests (I try not to do that though LOL), and those with children who are wild because the parents don't want to stifle their creativity (but sometimes one really has to), etc.

#18 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have never watched the show, but I will be trying to find it on my On Demand or internet as I can hardly wait until they try and explain to their little guy WHAT Asperger's is ! ! !

Now with ODS's diagnosis of Asperger's I am trying to figure out if we could have seen the signs sooner, but for the life of me I can't. So many of the signs overlap with a diagnosis for ADD/ADHD and with medical advancements everyday, the criteria is every broadening.

#19 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Who watched it last nite? What did you think?

I LOVE Jason Ritter. LOVE him. I miss his dad...

#20 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

I still feel incredibly bad for Crosby, but he definitely has a total case of "I'm the spoiled youngest." I think its harsh that his big brother has turned his back on him.

i think the 2nd explanation they gave Max about his Aspergers was really good. In the script it sounded corny, but when he personalized it for Max it sounded sincere and true!

I too love Jason Ritter. I see so much of his dad in his mannerism and likeness. I miss his Dad's comedy and presence. I hope we get to see more of Jason as Marc. I love him with Sarah!

#21 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

I still feel incredibly bad for Crosby, but he definitely has a total case of "I'm the spoiled youngest." I think its harsh that his big brother has turned his back on him.

i think the 2nd explanation they gave Max about his Aspergers was really good. In the script it sounded corny, but when he personalized it for Max it sounded sincere and true!

I too love Jason Ritter. I see so much of his dad in his mannerism and likeness. I miss his Dad's comedy and presence. I hope we get to see more of Jason as Marc. I love him with Sarah!

Really? See, I don't think it's harsh at all. Crosby made a selfish choice that affected a lot of people, especially Max. I'd turn my back on him as well!!

#22 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

Loved the show last night. It was good the way thay were dealing with Max. vary real i thought. Its one of my favourite shows.

#23 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Really? See, I don't think it's harsh at all. Crosby made a selfish choice that affected a lot of people, especially Max. I'd turn my back on him as well!!

Agreed.

#24 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

He stars in The Event, which returns Monday night..

I feel bad for Crosby even though he brought it all in himself.

I never really liked Adams character, but the last couple of episodes I have started liking him more. I think he is justified in his anger at Crosby because it affects Max, but it is something he needs to let go.

#25 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

see I a sure that eventualy everyone will forgive crosby. but I would be pissed at him to. he F-ed up max's care. but I have to say the girl Crosby slept with needs to grow up. there is no reason she can't continue Max's care.

#26 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

see I a sure that eventualy everyone will forgive crosby. but I would be pissed at him to. he F-ed up max's care. but I have to say the girl Crosby slept with needs to grow up. there is no reason she can't continue Max's care.

or couldnt have stayed on until a replacement was found.