27 replies to this topic

#1 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

Can someone please enlighten me on why parents of male children choose to shave their little boys heads? (And I'm not talking about medical reasons either) As the mother of three girls, I've always wondered this? Is it really just easier? Why would a child choose to be bald? Do they not have nice hair? I'm not asking to be judgemental, just always wondered why someone would choose this, rather than style? KWIM?

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I shave my boys heads. Not BALD, but short. I just find it much easier to manage and I hate paying for haircuts every couple of weeks. I like their hair short, so it's just easier to do myself.

#3 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

my oldest son pretty much always has a shaved head, because it's what looks best on him. he has very thick, very straight hair, and it looks horrible once it starts to go longer. He likes it shaved on sides and back and a little bit longer on top.

#4 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

Short do's need a lot of haircuts. A typical boy cut on my ods a trim every 3-4 weeks to look good.
When he was a toddler he hated haircuts and it would be such a struggle. One spring I just told her to get the clippers and buzz it off. By the time he needed a trim again he was a bit older and more manageable in the barbers chair. But I really missed his cute little curls.

#5 nainai0510

nainai0510

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

B/c of mine and dh genetic backgrounds, ods gets really frizzy kinky hair...but only on the sides, nothing on top! He looks A LOT nicer with short hair and even cuter bald. I personally prefer short hair on men and dh always keeps his really short. On the opposite side of the spectrum is a family friend who keeps her boys hair longer then shoulder length and is appalled that ods is kept so short. I have been there when her 11 yr old ds was mistaken as a girl (more times then you can count), you can see it on his face that he feels like crap. Also there's not too many "nice" cuts for boys IMO....I see WAY too many mullets on boys (the 11 yr old and his 9 yr old brother has this cut)

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I don't... he'll be bald soon enough I'm letting him enjoy his hair while he still has it LOL!!

#7 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've questioned this often too. Especially in the winter when you lose so much heat from your head! I can't imagine how cold that must feel. However, I'm one that likes long hair on boys/men and luckily my son does too. At the moment he is constantly being mistaken for a girl! I keep asking him if he wants to get a trim so it won't happen and he says NO. He is 8 years old.

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

My boys are not bald but have very short cuts. There are a few reasons for us...1) it's easier...they don't have to worry about bed head. 2) they hate getting their hair cut so the shorter it gets the longer they can go between cuts (I do my kids hair cause we have the clippers here and there's no way I'm spending $10-15 per kid x3 for a hair cut...3) I don't worry much about lice with it being short.

My ODS has hair that likes to curl into his face and neck if it's not kept short. My MDS has hair that just grows upwards and outwards it does not lay down. Everyone loves his hair and runs their hand over it...it's soft and actually cool. But if it gets too long, it doesn't look right.

#9 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

lol Murky!

We use the clippers on ds in the summer months. He has thick hair that is very hard to style as he has all these rooster tails going every which way. We do get it styled in the winter but we have to go way too often

#10 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Our boys are buzzed, not bic'ed. I find that they want to be like Daddy so that's why they ask for their hair to be cut like his. And another reason is if we get head lice here, it's 2 less kids to deal with.. LOL

#11 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I've questioned this often too. Especially in the winter when you lose so much heat from your head! I can't imagine how cold that must feel. However, I'm one that likes long hair on boys/men and luckily my son does too. At the moment he is constantly being mistaken for a girl! I keep asking him if he wants to get a trim so it won't happen and he says NO. He is 8 years old.

Touques take care of their heads in the winter, which I presume most kids wear anyway?

We recently gave L a mohawk which he LOVES. It's adorable. But as far as having a style that I can't do, he can have that when he can pay for it! lol

#12 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

ds's is buzzed short most times. He likes to spike it. He wants it short so he does not have a lot of upkeep with it. Plus he is so energetic and he sweats a lot and his hair was alwatys all wet and sweaty.

#13 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

I bizz my kids heads ever 3 months
and if i get lazy sam keep asking me to bizz it
he not fan of long hair at all beccuse it curly
and heave
isaac would have the missy look so it looks like i never do his hair
i do not used a foot becuse they move aroound to much and it would looks bad

#14 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

And he is the handsomest kid around. Besides mine, of course. <3
My son has huge satellite-dish ears, ergo he has never had short hair. None of his friends tease him because they are jealous that their parents won't let them grow their hair long too.
Posted Image

#15 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

I hope you have that picture framed Karen, it is just awesome.

#16 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

My son has huge satellite-dish ears, ergo he has never had short hair. None of his friends tease him because they are jealous that their parents won't let them grow their hair long too.
Posted Image

love love love that pic

#17 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

pretty much same reasoning as the previous moms stated. we clip their hair because it's just SO much easier! they have thick, coarse hair like me and it just looks AWFUL when grown out. they also like to look like daddy too and it saves on a million trip to the barber shop, not to mention a TON of cash!!

#18 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

so what I'm hearing is that it is more a matter of convenience to the parents and of course a financial reason as well? As most have stated.
Good to know now..lol

#19 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

As is yours Karen ♥ Welcome back!

Edited by Ali, 17 February 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#20 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

so what I'm hearing is that it is more a matter of convenience to the parents and of course a financial reason as well? As most have stated.
Good to know now..lol

Am I wrong, or am I reading a "tone" in this reply?

#21 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Good to know now..lol

LOL, no not all, just rephrasing in my own mind what most people are saying the reasoning is.
Most posters have said that it is just more convenient than to have to style the youngsters hair, and also that paying for a haircut every three weeks or so is expensive...trust me i know...i have 3 girls...cuts, highlights, etc are expensive.

#22 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Good to know now..lol

Call it convenience I'll agree...not just for me but for my kids as well as they don't have to worry about bed head in the morning in addition to getting ready for school...they do get it if their hair is long. And yes it's cheaper hence why I do it. I'd rather put more food on the table or give them a lil extra then to spend that money on hair cuts if I don't have to. KWIM?

Also I don't wanna deal with head lice if I don't have too either.

#23 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Good to know now..lol

LOL, no not all, just rephrasing in my own mind what most people are saying the reasoning is.
Most posters have said that it is just more convenient than to have to style the youngsters hair, and also that paying for a haircut every three weeks or so is expensive...trust me i know...i have 3 girls...cuts, highlights, etc are expensive.

Edited by Trass, 17 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#24 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good to know now..lol

that's weird, don't use the back button!

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

It is much more convenient, much lower maintenance and you can do it for free! Why NOT do it? My son is not bicked either, but we shave his head. It will grow out and then he asks to have it done again.

There is nothing wrong with shaving their heads, even if it's just for the convenience factor. Plus my son looks absolutely adorable with a shaved head. lol I may be a bit partial, but I think I'm right. :)

ETA; I also tend to think that most little boy haircuts are a bit nerdy. hehe

Edited by ~Jill~, 17 February 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#26 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

I actually just took a shaver to my 2 yr old tonight, ( a size 2 attachment) so its not bald, but super short, and the top has a flip to it.. he was starting to look girlie with his big ole blue eyes and flowy curly hair, I took him once to get it done and ya, surprised some passerby didnt call CAS, he screamed as i held him down and she cut with scissors, she didnt want to use a buzzer cus he is so blond, she said he would look bald... his hair is darker now its not summer, and i think it looks cute, at least this time its even.

#27 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

I do try to style Michael's hair with the clipper attachments, but everytime I've done it so far it's come out HORRIBLY. If I do it myself, it winds up being shaved right down with the clippers. His hair grows insanely fast, every 2 weeks its longer than when he got it cut.

#28 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Different reasons.....some have cow licks that make make the hair look like bed head, sometimes the kids move and it ends up as an oops...so they shave the rest of it off...some kids like it. Lice..... Ease of care....boys tend not to like to be fussed over like girls. Some kids wont sit still to let a parent of hair dresser cut it nicely so a quick buzz cut is all you can manage to do.