24 replies to this topic

#1 Mom of 3

Mom of 3

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Can someone tell me if it's true that family day is not a recognized federal holiday? That's what I have been told by someone who works in transportation, that it's just provincial? I find it hard to believe that the government will be working on Monday - lol

#2 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

it is not a mandatory statutory Holiday...if you do not receive the minimum amount of statutory holidays then they have to give it to you. We close our office and our employees are not paid.

#3 Mom of 3

Mom of 3

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

it is not a mandatory statutory Holiday...if you do not receive the minimum amount of statutory holidays then they have to give it to you. We close our office and our employees are not paid.

To be honest I am not sure if she receives the minimum amount of stat holidays? What kind of business are you in? I thought it was a paid holiday?

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

I believe it's 16. When it first came out our com[any sent us a letter saying they choose not to recognise it as a holiday so they don't have to pay us time and a half. hubbys work gives it to them

#5 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

A lot of people don't get it off

#6 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

I work in trucking also, and NO it is not a paid holiday, we fall under Federal ruling. SOme government offices are Provincial though so they will have it off paid.

We also do not get civic holiday, but get Rememberance day.

#7 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Can someone tell me if it's true that family day is not a recognized federal holiday? That's what I have been told by someone who works in transportation, that it's just provincial? I find it hard to believe that the government will be working on Monday - lol

True.

The federal government will be working (i.e. Canada Post) but the Ontario Government will not (i.e. Ministry of Transportation).

#8 Nicole2913

Nicole2913

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

It is only a provincial statutory holiday. The holiday does not apply to any one working under federal rulings. Unless of course the company is very generous and gives it to you anyway.

Edited by Nicole2913, 18 February 2011 - 10:50 AM.

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

We get a floating day for Family Day/Heritage day. We can use it after Monday when we so choose. I wish we just had it off!

#10 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

I believe it's 16. When it first came out our com[any sent us a letter saying they choose not to recognise it as a holiday so they don't have to pay us time and a half. hubbys work gives it to them

Do you know where you got this number? Only because I want to make sure I am getting the required amount of holidays! thanks :0 I need a website, im searching by cant find anything :\

#11 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

When my husband worked for CRA he did not get Family Day, but there was another holiday in there somewhere that he got. (Rememberance Day, maybe?)

#12 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Our company did not take it the first year -- however we do now. But we then lost one of the 2 floaters we previously had as we have to even out the number of holiday days with the other provinces.

Many companies didnt have this negotiated in their contracts when it was introduced so did not give it intially.

#13 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Do you know where you got this number? Only because I want to make sure I am getting the required amount of holidays! thanks :0 I need a website, im searching by cant find anything :\

It was in the letter we received. Something along the lines of "since we already give you 16 paid holidays...blahblah" It might be 14. I know they apparently give us more than the required holidays which they felt was "more than fair" so we don't get it. I don't think it's "more than fair" because I don't actually get any holidays off so I feel that if my family is at home without me, I want the extra pay.

#14 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

It was in the letter we received. Something along the lines of "since we already give you 16 paid holidays...blahblah" It might be 14. I know they apparently give us more than the required holidays which they felt was "more than fair" so we don't get it. I don't think it's "more than fair" because I don't actually get any holidays off so I feel that if my family is at home without me, I want the extra pay.

ohh!! ok sorry! Damn I wish we were entitled by law to have 16 paid holidays LOL! I looked on the MOL website and it says 9 public holidays which family day is amongst them...

#15 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Also for Federal Regulated (trucking) you only get 2 days severance for every year worked, regualr severance is 1 week for every year. That is wrong.

When I lost my job I was not aware of that and burned large for it. I am not sure why that is, since I work in a trucking company office, and do not make FEDERAL GOVERNMENT wages.

Edited by mysticmom, 18 February 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#16 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Ontario has nine public holidays:

•New Year's Day
•Family Day
•Good Friday
•Victoria Day
•Canada Day
•Labour Day
•Thanksgiving Day
•Christmas Day
•Boxing Day (December 26).

http://www.labour.go...licholidays.php

As you can see, the mimimum is 9 days. Civic holiday is not a statutory holiday, so as long as your employer gives you 9 holidays, they are meeting the minimum requirement. For example, my dh's place gives Civic Holiday, but not Family Day. More people wanted a day off in the summer.

#17 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

Family day waasnt worked into our contract... it was then stated well either that we get family day, OR take the whole christmas shut down.... 24th-jan 2nd paid...
I get rememberance day as well,,
I have a list of all teh holidays, civic and stat...

Jan 1st
good friday,
easter monday
victoria day
canada day
memorial day
labour day
thanksgiving
rememberance day
christmas day
boxing day
new yr day

off the top of my heaad

#18 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

Ontario has nine public holidays:

•New Year's Day
•Family Day
•Good Friday
•Victoria Day
•Canada Day
•Labour Day
•Thanksgiving Day
•Christmas Day
•Boxing Day (December 26).

http://www.labour.go...licholidays.php

As you can see, the mimimum is 9 days. Civic holiday is not a statutory holiday, so as long as your employer gives you 9 holidays, they are meeting the minimum requirement. For example, my dh's place gives Civic Holiday, but not Family Day. More people wanted a day off in the summer.

That is exactly the law....if you are getting a holiday like remembrance day or civic then most likely your employer is paying the minimum required and does not have to pay for Family Day.

#19 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

I am lucky we get FED and PRO holidays plus a float. Totals 13 of them which would be the most anyone can get unless you get 2 floats.

New Years Day
Family Day
Float
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
Civic Holiday
Labour Day
Thanksgiving Day
Remembrance Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

Most places have a Holiday of some sort almost every month excepts February and June which would be your float. Some are very lucky to have 2 floats per year so they would have at least one holiday per mth.

Me I can't c/o but I also work for the gov. My spouse does not get Good Friday and another one but its a smaller company.

#20 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

They are trying to make Remembrance Day a statutory holiday.

#21 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I really wish they wouldn't do that. Most people left to their own devices wouldn't bother taking the time for rememberance. However, in all places that are open they stop and observe the minute of silence. The kids would miss the ceremonies in the schools, and how many parents would actually take them down to the Cenotaph for the Armistice? I just think it's sad that they would lose part of the reverence for that day.

#22 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

I really wish they wouldn't do that. Most people left to their own devices wouldn't bother taking the time for rememberance. However, in all places that are open they stop and observe the minute of silence. The kids would miss the ceremonies in the schools, and how many parents would actually take them down to the Cenotaph for the Armistice? I just think it's sad that they would lose part of the reverence for that day.

That's an interesting twist and I would have never thought of it that way...you are right...it would definitely not be a day for remembering!

#23 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

That's an interesting twist and I would have never thought of it that way...you are right...it would definitely not be a day for remembering!

Same here I always agreed with them since both my grandpas fought in WW2 but Tired Mom is on the money once again !! LOL Dam her she changed my opinion.....

#24 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

Same here I always agreed with them since both my grandpas fought in WW2 but Tired Mom is on the money once again !! LOL Dam her she changed my opinion.....

I'd just really hate to see the day come to mean nothing, especially in light of how much it stands for.

#25 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Totally agree. Remembrance day would loose meaning if it became a stat holiday. Kids need to be in school and take part in the important ceremonies. I took my dd to our towns ceremonies last nov and we will do this every year. I think it's important to honour the men and women who fought for our country!