36 replies to this topic

#1 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

How busy is it compared to Devonshire? Is the Christmas season crazy busy?

#2 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

It can get pretty busy, but not like Devonshire Mall, I'd say, not even close.

#3 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

There isn't near enough stores for it to be as busy as devonshire. I've never been a Christmas, but on weekends its busy, but manageable,whereas devonshire is a mad house.

#4 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

It looks busy,but many of the people there are just hanging out..esp on the weekdays.Id say compare rents when deciding to lease spaces..they should give you an idea of traffic counts.Now remember ..devonshire is a destination mall,and tecumseh has a bus terminal...so traffic counts may be skewed.

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

It looks busy,but many of the people there are just hanging out..esp on the weekdays.Id say compare rents when deciding to lease spaces..they should give you an idea of traffic counts.Now remember ..devonshire is a destination mall,and tecumseh has a bus terminal...so traffic counts may be skewed.

I'm looking mainly at the Christmas season. The rent at Devonshire is twice what the rent at Tecumseh is. I WANT to be in Devonshire, however Tecumseh is much more managable, but still crazy expensive lol

#6 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

I say devonshire.Right now the mall is hurting..its def a seasonal mall!Some retailers are doing well,other not so much.All depends on what you have to offer..although tecumseh mall might have the right kind of target market for you..if its to make maximum dollar,then you know the choice

#7 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

I dont know what the cost difference is between devonshire or tecumseh . But i think you would generate more business at devonshire. Its more central and obviously has a lot more traffic

Edited by Jenn1980, 20 February 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#8 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

9K for 2 months rent vs 4.2K

#9 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

I am at Tecumseh mall daily as my school is across the street. It does get pretty busy. Of course no as busy as devonshire since it is smaller. Christmas it does get pretty crazy in there. Especially when Zeller's has the moonlight madness sale. If you are looking to sell your hair stuff there I think you would do well. I see a lot of moms with young kids in there.

#10 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

I worked there for 10 years. It gets pritty busy in the holiday season. but location is everything. don't get a booth thats out of the way lol if get one close to the food court your better off. down close to dollarama not as grate.
i think in the end you would even out. it may be more to start at Devonshire but you would make it up with the sales. Tecumseh you wouldn't be taking as much of a risk. if you keep your prices low ppl will go see you over Ardene or Clairs. (if its hair things your selling) if I were you your first time getting a booth i would do Tecumseh and then if thats good go to Devonshire the next year. then you will have a better idea on what its all about. Tecumseh mall is busy but to be honest ppl who generally go to Tecumseh are there for a purpos so you have to catch them fast where Devonshire ppl brows more. but in the end its about location and how fast you can grab there attention! hay if you need help around the holidays let me know.

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

You'd have to sell A LOT though to make up the rent at either place.

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

If you are going seasonal than Devonshire will get you maximum traffic. It is VERY costly, but as far as sales go, you'll do better. Tecumseh Mall is more geared to destination shopping where as people go to walk, window shop and browse when they go to Devonshire which gives retailer the opportunity to get impulse buyers. Best location is in the main walkway between the customer service desk and the entrance to the food court - specifically in front on Gymboree is EXCELLENT as far as traffic and sales! I've worked various booth locations in the mall and that was the top spot IMO.

#13 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

unfortunately you don't get to choose where your kiosk is placed. They place you where they have room. I want to do Devonshire but I'd have to sell a minimum of $350.00 a day in order to cover cost of rent, an employee and still make something myself - while I would still be working the majority of the hours myself.

ETA thats $350 worth of profit, not product. Gah! Its so tuff to be a small business. :(

Edited by Mama2Gracie, 20 February 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#14 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

With kiosks realistically you have to make $500/day, thats was always the magic number in order to make a small profit. With the way things are at Devonshire you could most likely barter with them for a location of choice. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the majority of stable kiosks, many who had been there for years have left and many return seasonal kiosks have stopped coming over the last three years due to cost increase. The mall will tell you that their numbers are up, but speak to some of the regular merchants who have kiosks and they will tell you otherwise. Xmas is great, there is the opportunity to make a profit if you have the product and location. I would see what they are willing to do for you to get your business :)

Edited by vals, 20 February 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#15 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

I dont know much about how you sell your product now so I apologize if this is something youve already done... but I see on your signature you have a studio... I assume you are selling them there... Have you spoke to local businesses that sell childrens product and tried to have them buy into your stock and sell them in their stores? Advertising in the right places and venues...advertise out to other photographers for props and what not... take business cards around and see if you can get them into doctors offices or other places moms frequent. I personally dont think the mall is quite the right place and I could be very wrong about that but thats a lot of product youd have to sell to make the kind of profit to be worth it. I havent been into Devonshire probably since last summer and I dont typically go in without a reason but I rarely pay attention to the kiosks and the people that are trying to stop me to see their product. We were in Great Lakes Crossing last weekend and when I went past one kiosk the girl said "we're having financial difficulties so if you buy one item you get 2 free"... I still didnt have any interest and I have to think Im not alone on that. Dont get me wrong Im not trying to discourage you from selling your product but the type of product you are trying to sell (if its the childrens accessories) Id be more apt to find at a local store than the mall. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

I don't think I would be comfortable taking the risk at either location!! Good luck with your decision. I think Tecumseh Mall is a better idea, because IMO, whatever more you sell at Dev will only go towards paying the extra rent.

#17 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

I already have my items available at Bride and Baby and I travel around and do a ton of local shows/summer fairs etc. I find 85% of my business is impulse buyers and I see a LOT of moms and babies traveling through Devonshire in the Winter months because theres nothing else to do. I'm not the type of person that stops people in the halls because I hate that. It's rude and uncomfortable. I prefer to let people come to me. I also find that 99% of whats at those kiosks don't interest me. I don't care about salt from the dead sea, or weird head massagers but I believe that I have a nice locally hand made product that people want to buy. I have my items in a store just outside of London and since Christmas the owner has stated the only items in her store that are selling are mine. I think people would rather buy something local than something from childrens place. I would rather support a local small business personally. I'm just afraid of the rental investment.

#18 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I agree with Jill.

I think the risk is way too big considering the dollar amount of business you would have to sell each day.

What about approaching more stores to see if you can get them to carry your product?

ETA: Are you considering giving up your full time job to pursue this? Otherwise you would have to pay to have it staffed when you arent available.. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that part of the lease agreement you have to be open during mall hours. So even to pay someone to work when you cant be there, I think realistically you are looking more at the figure Vals posted.

I would really think about approaching other businesses and seeing about getting them to carry your product for now.

#19 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Do you make them yourself? If so, I don't see how you could make enough product to keep a kiosk stocked with the numbers you'd need to do.

#20 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

yes everything is handmade. I dont work fulltime, Im only scheduled 2 days a week and technically not required to pick up extra shifts. I can work 25 hrs a week, and 2 employees 20 hrs a week and its covered. If I get stuck my mom can help out too. Im only talking about the Christmas season for now, Im not sure I can make enough by myself to keep with the demands all year long or afford to pay the rent haha.

#21 luckycharms

luckycharms

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Jenn, I wouldn't do it. This is from a girl who has worked in the mall for over 20 years. The rent is insane for kiosks. Plus, i think you need to accept debit, cc etc. You are also responsible for your phone line etc. I know a lot of the merchants/ kiosks and it's really a tough go. I think you'd be better approaching specialty shops. ie bump, gumballs and overalls, etc to see if they can showcase your wares.

#22 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Aren't you trying to place some distance between you and your mom? Business and pleasure are not a good mix in a good situation, just a thought.

When you say the $350, have you included in your cost things like HST, WSIB for employees, taxes, etc?

#23 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

i have a long range wireless debit machine. No need for a phone line. It works off satilites like a cell. the 350/day is profit, that means after all expenses except for rent. Ive based my figures on $100/day for staffing. Not sure if thats accurate or not but that covers 8 hrs pay plus. Hst is paid by the purchaser

#24 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

I know someone who had a kiosk at Devonshire mall for the Christmas season....his goal was similar to yours...two months....he left after 1 month! The #'s were not the same as what they indicated to him...aferall they can't predict that 100%. He had a cool product BUT it just took too many sales to say afloat and those sales weren't happening! And his product was very cool and priced around $20-40....affordable for many.

I would give it VERY strong consideration as it is a lot of money compared to local craft shows and fairs. Actually, my friend did FABULOUS at fairs....WAY better then the mall.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

I agree with the idea or marketing it to more specialty stores. I think your results would be a lot better if you consider the level of risk involved!

#26 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I appreciate everyones concern, however I was just interested in comparing the amount of traffic between the two malls since I only visit Tecumseh mall maybe once or twice a year. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to do either mall at the present time, it's something I'm considering.

#27 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Maybe you could have a chat with some of the kiosks at both places and get some feedback on the benefits and challenges? They would definitely have a better idea of what is involved!

#28 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

If you're at Tecumseh Mall and catch the owner of The Ink Shop (Katherine) working, you should talk to her. She started at Tecumseh Mall and opened at Devonshire and Malden Rd. in LaSalle, I believe she has closed the one at Devonshire. I'm not sure why, but perhaps she could give you insight since she's been at both locations. I believe she has a very successful business and I know she pays her employees well. She's also very nice and approachable.

#29 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Whatever you decide Jen I just want to say good luck! :)

#30 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

wow thats expensive! What if you split the booth with someone else? or can you only have one product line?

#31 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

you better find out about hst. If you charge customers hst you have to claim it.

#32 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Yes good luck Jen, in whatever you choose! Sorry it sounds like ppl are being negative, we're just watching out for you because we care.

#33 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I don't mean to be negative, I think it's just a very big risk!! I think we all wish you the best, though and wish you luck with whatever you decide!

#34 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

you better find out about hst. If you charge customers hst you have to claim it.

no kidding. You can't have a store in the mall without a business license lol

#35 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do The good news is that I have like 6 months before I have to decide lol. I really want to do it, but 9 thousand dollars is an insane amount of money to throw away if it doesn't work out.