9 replies to this topic

#1 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Since we moved into our new house almost 5 years ago, we decided not to get a land line for the house. We both have cell phones and so far so good without it. I've noticed since we've had a new babsitter start with us (16 years old) I really felt that we needed the land line. The babysitter brought her cell phone and was okay to use it if she needed it. So I inquired about a landline through cocego today and it was really reasonable. I asked my husband tonight what he thought and he doesn't want it and that we don't need it. We have never had an issues not having a land line, but know with grand-parents and babysitters here more often I thought it would be more reasonable to get one.

Do you have a land line and just use cell phones? It's one less bill a month.

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

Both DH and I have a cell and we have a land line. The reason we kept the land line was because of a sitter. And if for some reason our cell is out...the other line is available. I have wanted to get rid of the land line but I just can't. I feel more comfortable knowing that there is access to a phone if need be. That to me you can't put a price on, especially if you have kids...KWIM?

#3 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

we are in the same boat right now... and am looking at ways of lowering our cell bell to compensate the cost of a land line... I was looking into something like Magic Jack becuase it only costs $20 a year...

#4 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

I couldn't live without my landline! We have a cell phone that we share but it rarely gets used. The basic line that Cogeco offers is only about $15... definitely worth it IMO. I think the comfort of knowing I always have a way to contact others while at home and be able to contact my home when I'm out is definitely worth the extra cost. In fact, the 'extra' would be my cell, my home phone is our first priority.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Land line for sure! I don't see how I could go without a land line. What if something happens to the cell? I have a bad habit of leaving mine at work. Or letting the battery die since it needs to be charged often. With kids it would be a must! What if your sitter doesn't have a cell?

I am wanting to get rid of my cell because it is much more expensive than a land line. I almost never use my cell anyway.

#6 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

We have both, I have a cell phone, and we also have a landline. They go hand in hand, if one goes out, we have the other as a back up.

#7 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

I have two cell phones, mine, and then my oldest son has a pay as you go, costs me 10$ a month, and he has it for the few times he is allowed to stay home alone, and if I have a sitter in, then there is that cell phone for the sitter to use if they need to get ahold of me.
The 10$ a month for the pay as you go cell phone is the cheapest I could find to have a second phone (only landline option out in the boonies where I am is bell), plus I like knowing if my son is out at the neighbors or something, he has his phone on him and I can get ahold of him.

#8 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

We both have cells and a home land line. My schoolagers get a lot of personal calls, lol, and I didn't want my cell number being given out to the neighbourhood. It is nice, too, to be able to touch base with my babysitter to see how things are going during the day, if we're gone for a while and not have them incur minutes for that.

#9 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

we do not have a landline. Dh and I have cells. I found the landline was a waste of money since we are not home that much

#10 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

We have a basic line through Bell that cost $24/month and have a phone with an answering machine. No caller ID, call waiting etc..not fancy, but gets the job done. Once upon a time we both had cell phones, which is why we only had a basic package on the house for emergencies etc... Even with a cell, I like having the added safety that comes with a landline. If you have an emergency and call from your cell phone the operator has to get you to give your location/info, where as with a landline the information comes up with the number so if the caller is in trouble, doesn't have time to give the address or is in too much of a panic help still comes in good time.