8 replies to this topic

#1 Trass

Trass

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

So, my youngest dd has a really good friend ( her best friend), they are 9 ys. I am friends with the mom (not good friends, we chat on facebook occasionally, she has stopped over for tea recently, but other then that, really just an aquaintance (sp))
So the situation is this, Just before Christmas she asked me to pick up some items at my store (BBW) for her girls for Christmas. she wanted to make up some little gifts for her girls for presents from her. she requested me to use my judgement, and that just let her know what she owed me. I filled this request right away. I spent 26.00 on little items for them and even gave her the little bags we give out to wrap them up. she was very happy with my selection.
So the situation is this, since I have given her these items (third week of December) she has been saying, OK, I'll bring you the money on such and such a day. she has sent me several messages via facebook like: Is it OK if I bring the money to you on friday?? this has gone on since December, and she has still yet to pay me. It has been a few weeks though now that she hasn't said anything about the money. ( I think she has forgot??)
I realize it is only 26.00!, but I feel like I was the one that bought her girls these gifts, and i am not sure she is planning on paying me. Trust me, I know she can afford it!
what should I do? should I just call it a loss? and never do it again? It was only 26.00 right? If I owe money to someone for something, I make sure I take care of my business immediately! I'm kind of ticked....

#2 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

wow she totally took advantage of you!!

I am not sure how I would approach this.. Maybe you could tell her that you need the money and could she possibly bring it over in the next day or two?

Or you could say to her, if you cant afford to pay it back at once, give me half now , half later??

I dont know.. it sucks for you!!

#3 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

See, I hate when people owe money to me and I will hound your ass until I get it. We've had 2 guys who didn't pay for baseball on year($80 a piece) and that came out of our pocket. Sorry but we have kids to feed, so I told Tim that I would get the money. I hounded both of these guys and finally the last one paid us just before Christmas. I even told them that if they could get me the money by a certain date, I'd knock of some because they were strapped for cash as well. Well the one guy showed up at our door within 5 minutes with the money!

I don't think $26 is chump change, I'd be asking her for the money.

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

$26 to me right now is milk, bread, lunch meat and cereal. I'd be telling her not asking her that I need my money. Even tell her that you'll take 1/2 now and then the other 1/2 in a week or two. But you NEED that money. If she bluffs you off then I'd chalk it up to that and decide that this is the kind of person she is and not associate with her. KWIM?

She didn't forget at all.

#5 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

I agree with the above post I would be pissed off & I would just act like you are saving for something & have almost met your goal & if you could ahve the $$ it owuld help you get there faster. Say that you are going to be in the area & happy to pick it up

#6 sophie

sophie

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

That sucks. I realize you would have to go to her for this but could you say "We're going right by your place on... so I'll just swing by and pick it up?" Don't know if that would work (in other words not giving an option). It is really too bad when you get in those situations and get taken advantage of when you were just trying to help her out. Hope you get this resolved soon!

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

I would message her and give her 2 days and times to choose for when you will be stopping by to pick up the cash. What a cruddy situation!

#8 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I think she has taken total advantage of your generosity. I would just tell her that you need to make arrangements to get the money, and here are her options. She can give it to her daughter to bring to you, she can leave it in the mailbox,you can pick it up, she can drop it off, whatever, but that is your money and you shouldn't have to be a collection agency for it. She hasn't "forgotten" about it... she just hopes you did. Good Luck.

#9 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

That sucks. I realize you would have to go to her for this but could you say "We're going right by your place on... so I'll just swing by and pick it up?" Don't know if that would work (in other words not giving an option). It is really too bad when you get in those situations and get taken advantage of when you were just trying to help her out. Hope you get this resolved soon!

Agreed! I would totally do that.