13 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have been following the case of the dying Windsor baby .. It such a sad sad story.. I feel so horrible for all involved.

Today I saw that the story has made headlines on the MSN homepage..

So so sad :(

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Is that the story of the baby who the courts refuse to let the parents bring home?
I agree the story is very sad and also makes me mad for those poor parents

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

I think it's extremely sad.. I also wonder what else we don't know about that no one will approve this? There's got to be more to this story? I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't let the parents take the baby home?

#4 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

you know Jill, I was wondering the same thing. I know they allow people to go home and die all the time, so I don't understand why they wouldn't let him go home. I also don't understand this part, they won't preform a trach because it will bring on infection but the child is a vegtable (they said it in the paper) so I don't understand this part.

#5 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

from what i understand... its not that they wont let them take him home per say.... but the source of the problem is that he would die with out his breathing tube. The hospital wants to take it out, as they feel he will not get better... and the parents want them to try and give him a trec in his throat to breathe and they want to try and see if that will give him at least a little while at home. but the hospital doesnt want to do it.

#6 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

I hope that the family and the little boy are able to find some peace soon. it must be soo hard for all involved.

#7 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

From what I understand, they want to take the breathig tube out, and the baby will eventually choke to death.
The parents want them to put in a treach(sp) to help the child pass more peacefully, and they cant find a hospital to do this in.
The parents also had another child with the same condition pass several years ago, and in that case, the trach was put in.

#8 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

that makes sense too. I hope either way this gets sorted out. But it is heart breakin that it seems like its the hospital vs. / against the parents of this baby. Instead of them working together to do whats best for the baby. I think the hospital needs to relax a little and do what the parents want done. If it was done for their last child who had this problem, why not do it again this time?

#9 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

The story was on the national news the other night and the hospital said the issue is a human rights based issue in that they do not want to prolong the childs suffering by taking drastic steps to keep him alive which can cause painful infections etc.... Basically the hospital feels that the child is too ill and too far gone to receive adequate care in a home based setting and that it would violate his rights. Obviously there is a lot more to the story than we are hearing, but either way its completely tragic. I feel for all involved on both sides.

#10 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

I just dont get how him choking to death is not violating his rights

#11 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

He will still be able to fully choke with a trach.. Yes, they can suction, but that can cause a whole slew of other problems.

I also read that he in a persistent vegetative state, so he wouldn't necessarily "feel" the pain associated with any of it. Though I am not sure how much they can prove or disprove that.

Parents, understandably so, tend to want to hold on longer than what is natural. The child has zero quality of life, and I think that's where the human rights come in. He is being kept alive by artificial means when all signs show he would have passed away already if not for those interventions. There is no hope of recovery, they are prolonging the inevitable. Again, I 100% understand their position!

I think it's a shame that this is happening because it's so much more grief added to an already completely devastating situation. IMO, the best thing they could do would be to keep him sedated, remove the breathing tube and let him die in peace. No trach and no further interventions. That is not my choice, however!

Edited by ~Jill~, 24 February 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#12 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

Rox- I think probably the first one may have been trached much earlier on than this little one.

#13 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

That could be, i dunno.

The whole story is sad though. :(

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover