38 replies to this topic

#1 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

My husband has a stressful job and he is smoking more and more. He has talked about wanting to quit, mentioned maybe doing the laser treatment. He doesn't want to use the prescription pills. He did the pills before and didn't like the zombie like feeling he had while on them.
What has worked for you?

Thanks for any insight

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I know a few people who had success with the nicorette plan, especially the enhaler, but its one of those things where you REALLY have to want to quit or can easily end up spending a fortune since many people will continue to smoke excessively while using the products.

#3 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Chantix is what worked for me. Good luck to him! It's really hard, but worth it.

#4 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

My husband has been smoking for years and it sucks. I hate the way it makes him smell, and its expensive... grrr...

He has been trying to quit on his own for quite a while. and it isnt working... so i am hoping to hear from all u smoking quitters on what worked for you.
Thanks in advance! lol :) if he manages to quit, i will feel like a won the lottery! lol

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Pick a date then cold turkey. My mantra was "It is not an option since it is not healthy". I think it helped that I was pg. BUT I miscarried 2 wks after quitting and still did not go back!

#6 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

wow, Trea! That sounds like u had some pretty amazing will power! Good for u! seriously! I hope my hubby is able to quit. The other day i had him make a list on his own of pro's and con's of smoking. and i think he was pretty suprised to see it on paper and see for himself that he really does want to quit because there are sooo many pro's for him to quit. I wish i could help him some how.. its hard to watch someone struggle with quitting..

#7 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

i smoked on and off for years- very casual - closet smoker- i would only on my own. when my uncle passed away suddenly i vowed that i was going to change- i wanted to be here for my children and grandchildren. He was not able to be here to see or meet his grandchildren- or be with my aunt and cousins. I saw and felt their saddness- it just wasn't fair. The day he died was the last day i had a cigarette. There have been days that i felt super stressed and really just wanted one. But i didn't. I agree with Trea- pick a day and that is it-
it is a hard habit to break-
good luck

#8 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

I did it cold turkey! :) 3 years ago. My dad did the nicoderm patch in September and has been smoke free ever since. He said that really worked for him more then any of the other methods he tried. Good Luck to him :)

#9 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I have tried the patch and pills many times in the past only to get stressed and start up again. I quit for 10, 7 and 3 mths before was the longest. Then last July I started to wear a patch only to fine they expired a year and half before so I ripped it off on day 5 and never wore anything since. It will be 8 mths this 17th.

So cold turkey worked for me and I was a very heavy smoker of most days 2 packs. However I know many at work who have used Champex (sp) with also great results.

Good Luck to him as this is suck a awful addiction !! I have bad nerves and severe depression so I totally understand how hard it is for him. I have learned to let a lot of crap slid as its not worth my mental state.

#10 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

I quit cold turkey and then 2 days later DH quit by using Zyban. He only took the Zyban for 2 weeks though. In my opinion you are not going to be successful even with the use of aides UNLESS you have the mind set that this is what you want and that you are going to do it.

It's a very hard hard habit to quit. You have to go moment to moment and there will be moments that are difficult but knowing that you will have many moments because of quitting helps. I found that drinking water and anything with mint helped curb the cravings.

I have been smoke free for 6 years now and I will be honest in saying that I still crave it. I will always crave it. But I WILL NOT give into that nasty habit ever again.

#11 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Both my husband and I quit cold turkey 1 year apart.I woke up one morning and decided enough was enough. I had tried the patches before with some success, my longest time quitting using the patch was 2 years. This time cold turkey I have been smoke free for 12 years. For me it was about breaking all of the triggers that caused me to want a cigarette in the first place. For example, after dinner instead of lighting a cigarette, I put my shoes on and went for a walk. The feeling of wanting a cigarette then passed. Talking on the phone was another, so my conversations were always cut very short(I had very understanding friends and family)I would eat carrot sticks to replace what do do with my hands. My dad uses coffee stir sticks, especially when driving in the car. Whatever works. My friend has a jar that she puts all of her "cigarette money" in and is saving for a flat screen tv. She is so surprised at how much money she was actually spending on them. You have to be ready to quit, and you have to expect that for some, it's one of the hardest roads to travel. Good Luck!! Let us know how it goes.

#12 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Cold turkey...

#13 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

Apparently 95% of the population of smokers can quit easily, without future desire of a cigarette. The method assisted me in cutting back, but didn't make me want to quit.

Dana recommended it to me a few years ago. Allen Car's "Easy Way To Quit Smoking". The book only cost me $20, and it is the least painful way presented to me.

I won't be able to risk smoking after my surgery (from fear of dry socket) and think this will be the perfect opportunity to quit. I plan to read the book 3x if necessary - in a row - until any desire to smoke is gone.

The problem with cold turkey (and smoking cessation aids) is they leave you in the mind set that you are missing something. The book does its part to remove the desire to smoke completely, not leaving you missing smoking for the rest of your life.

#14 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

The problem with cold turkey (and smoking cessation aids) is they leave you in the mind set that you are missing something. The book does its part to remove the desire to smoke completely, not leaving you missing smoking for the rest of your life.

I completely agree- some days i think Oh i would love a smoke right now. I have not heard of this book before- sounds interesting.

#15 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yep, I quit cold turkey too! One day I just woke up, had a smoke not too long after, and decided I'd never smoke again. I found out a few weeks later that I was expecting so that deterred me from starting again... Once in a while I get that urge to light one up but I remind myself that I'm better off and I've made it this far so I can't give up! You really have to have the right mindset and have support around you too. It makes it so much easier when you truly want to quit and aren't doing it for other people, and when you have people cheer you on throughout the first days that are the hardest!

#16 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

cold turkey all the way, been 11 years now!

#17 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

That book was great for me!! Of course, I was pregnant at the time, too, but yes, that book was amazing. It sure makes a lot of sense too. Kinda makes you feel like an idiot for having smoked at all! lol

That said, I still crave cigarettes. I have caved over the years as well. Quite a few times. HOWEVER, I went from smoking almost 2 packs a day to one a month, or a few when I am drinking. I don't see the problem with that. I truly loved smoking, especially when I am drinking. And since I VERY rarely drink, I justify it that way! lol

#18 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

That book was great for me!! Of course, I was pregnant at the time, too, but yes, that book was amazing. It sure makes a lot of sense too. Kinda makes you feel like an idiot for having smoked at all! lol

That said, I still crave cigarettes. I have caved over the years as well. Quite a few times. HOWEVER, I went from smoking almost 2 packs a day to one a month, or a few when I am drinking. I don't see the problem with that. I truly loved smoking, especially when I am drinking. And since I VERY rarely drink, I justify it that way! lol

Every time I find myself smoking more I reread it. Although, its probably been a year since the last time. I hope that the feeling of the invisibility of youth has worn off since then, and it can do its job. Even after it heals I will be aiming to get a job in a medical office, and I'm aiming to seem outwardly healthy, lol.

#19 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone! I myself used zyban and it has been 10 1/2 years. I had it absolutely set in my mind I wanted to get health for myself and the future children I wanted. I only took it for a couple of weeks because it affected my sleep I fortunately do not get cravings, was not a heavy smoker either.

How is the chantix? Is it like a anti-depressant?

I know it bothers my husband that he smokes, and I think he feels a little dependent on them.

Hope to figure something out, I will look up that book as well.

Thanks again for the feedback :thumbsup

Edited by Momma4ever, 04 March 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#20 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

CHAMPIX was the only thing that worked for me, this June 16, it will be 3 years since I quit smoking.

I used to smoke for 19 yrs, tried the patch, the gum, cold turkey twice, had a stroke 5 yrs ago (March 14) and still THE ONLY thing that worked was

CHAMPIX

oh ya, and Zyban, none of it worked except for Champix

#21 Lori5

Lori5

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I was on both CHAMPIX and ZYBAN and this year it will be 3 years for me too. But most of all you have to have in set in your mind that you want to quit or it won't work. Because my husband tired a little after me and it didn't work for him because he wasn't ready to quit.

#22 mom-of-3

mom-of-3

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

My husband went on champix to stop smoking. It works well. but iam going throught hell he nit picks at every thing we been merried for 18 years and i having some bad thoughts. we have been thought verything together but this i just dont know.

#23 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Quit and Get Fit program is coming back. He could register now. I am not sure if it's 100% the same as the one I did, but if it is, you get 2 months free gym membership and 12 free personal training sessions. It was GREAT!

It's totally, 100% free, no strings attached! Worth looking into. He can register at on.lung.ca

#24 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Quit and Get Fit program is coming back. He could register now. I am not sure if it's 100% the same as the one I did, but if it is, you get 2 months free gym membership and 12 free personal training sessions. It was GREAT!

It's totally, 100% free, no strings attached! Worth looking into. He can register at on.lung.ca

When the two months they pay for are up, are you still stuck in a contract for the rest of the year?

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Nope! Like I said, NO strings attached!

#26 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Nope! Like I said, NO strings attached!

Thanks for the info!

#27 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

No problem, it's an awesome opportunity!

#28 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Singed up this morning, its exciting! Same thing offered as you mentioned, and there is just some surveys you have to complete in return (for any others who are interested).

#29 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Well my husband is not overweight and works long hours. Is that only for those that are quitting smoking or for anyone getting into shape?

#30 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Cold Turkey...It's been just over 3yrs. I was a few wks preg, and feeling like crap, so that did help ease the cravings. I just kept feeling crappy for the next wk or so, that I can remember, and it could've been from being preg, or withdrawls or maybe both, but I just told myself to keep going, and I did! I haven't touched a cig since. GOOD LUCK!!!!

#31 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Well my husband is not overweight and works long hours. Is that only for those that are quitting smoking or for anyone getting into shape?

Its to entice smokers to quit, and regain health in the process.

#32 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

Working out has NOTHING to do with being overweight. It's about being healthy. It is to entice people to quit smoking, but it's also to promote general health. It is only for people looking to quit smoking, yes.

Biggest misconception about exercise is that it's for people who are overweight. Thin people are out of shape too!!

#33 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Working out has NOTHING to do with being overweight. It's about being healthy. It is to entice people to quit smoking, but it's also to promote general health. It is only for people looking to quit smoking, yes.

Biggest misconception about exercise is that it's for people who are overweight. Thin people are out of shape too!!

I wasn't implying anything other than the fact that my husband doesn't feel the need to workout at a gym as he is in good shape and the fact that he doesn't have a regular work schedule to plan trainer sessions.

I agree that everyone benefits from regular exercise.

#34 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

The trainers are very flexible and can work around basically any schedule! Obviously if he isn't interested it's best to leave the spots to people who are!

#35 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

The trainers are very flexible and can work around basically any schedule! Obviously if he isn't interested it's best to leave the spots to people who are!

I can't help but feel that you are upset with my responses. Let me give you the details so you can stop making assumptions. My husband doesn't have any clue when he will be home each day - he is a truck driver and never knows how long he will wait at a delivery - could be out in 1 hour, could be 4 hours. So are the trainers willing to have him call and say I can be there at 6pm but than not get there until 7pm? As I also mentioned, he is in good shape and that is not where he needs the focus, he needs help quitting smoking.

Of course there are plenty of others who could use the help as well and there are those who may sign up and not show up to the training sessions. My husband would consider the option if he felt he could make a schedule and doesn't want to take it away from those who will benefit from the program.