do you think SAHMs have it easier now then back in the 1950s? (

#2 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

YES!!! In this day and age we have so many appliances I know my Meme didn't have back then to make life easy. Almost no one has to hand wash all their clothes/bedding/towels/etc, dishwashers, microwaves, steam mops, and all the other neat little things one can buy to make life easier.

#3 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

it might be physically easier but is it still easier?

#4 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

you need to go to the carosel of progress at Disney and get your answer

#5 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

you need to go to the carosel of progress at Disney and get your answer

Oh great, thanks, now i have that song in my head AGAIN!!!!

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if its a fair question since the expectations of a SAHM are VERY different today.

In the 50's a woman's worth in many ways was dependent on her ability to keep a pristine home, finish all the chores, care for the children, do the running around, prepare home cooked meals all while looking like a movie star.

Today SAHM's aren't judged because they didn't get the laundry done or forgot to pick up the dry cleaning one day.

They are not expected get glamed up to run errands and its okay if lounge wear is the outfit of choice, because your not going out that day and its comfy.

SAHM's today don't have the same expectations that SAHM moms of the 50's had; those woman where incredible and made doing it all look easy (and we all know how hard it is).

I always call myself a modern day 50's housewife because I do like to have a clean home and have very high expectations of myself and what I do each day as a SAHM, but don't judge other moms who do it differently.

I think we have more choices and better tools to help us today, so the daily dealing aspect makes the role easier today than in the past, but that can apply to any role as it changed over time.

#7 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm not sure if its a fair question since the expectations of a SAHM are VERY different today.

that's the point

#8 contentlife

contentlife

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

I do like the simpler life they had back then. I am not sure that was the 50's though. I may be thinking more of the 1900 time. Little house on the prairie time. I wouldn't trade having medical care though.
I would say some aspects of each time are easier than the other. Life now is more rushed.

#9 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

Yes and No

I find personally my DH Helps alot at night and no i am not expected to keep up with things like thay used to. its much more of a team then it was back then.

however! back then all moms stayed home and there was kind of a community. so you could let all the kids play and the moms would help each other out and you knew all the moms of the street kind of thing. but now your lucky if there is a another mom on your street that stays at home to. most dont have that now. so it can feel vary isolated. so there are many benefits to the technologies and the change in thinking but then again it can be alot more isolated if you arnt big on reaching out.