23 replies to this topic

#1 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

When you go out, whether to drop your kids off at school, groceries, appointments or just shopping, etc. Do you put in the effort to look good (fix hair, makeup, etc) or do you just throw on whatever and pull your hair back?
I was looking at my mom the other day and realized that she always(and has always) looks good. Hair done, makeup, dressed (never in track pants, etc)no matter what she is doing or where she is going. My dad even made a comment on how he loves that she always makes herself look good. This in turn made me think of whenever I leave the house, i have my moments but for the most part I do my hair and makeup, I love fashion so I like to dress nice too. How about you?

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

I go to school an drop off the kids at daycare every morning. I do make sure I m wearing decent lean clothes and my hair is brushed but I do not go all out. 6am is too early for me to worry about fussing with my hair and makeup

#3 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Ohh this is a subject near and dear to my heart! lol

I almost always look as good as I can when I leave the house. I do wear my hair pulled back a lot, but it doesn't look like shit. Makeup ALWAYS. I can literally count on one hand how many times I've EVER left the house without makeup on, like, in my whole life! lol

Lovemykids2 - check your messages - I messaged you....

#4 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I dont really give a rats ass lately at all....sounds awful,but unless Im going on a date..ive been letting my skin breathe.This must be what happens when you lose a husband...COUGH...LMAO
I find the older I get,the less its tolerating full on makeup like I used to do all through my 20sI get bad acne now from foundation/powder...never had this issue b4
I have been though focusing on my hair now that its growing out completely white...and keeping the upkeep on that though,so I dont scare the children....I envy women who have the energy and money to be fully decked out.Im sure if I had the resources,and the energy..I would :)

#5 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Usually I make an effort to look decent. I used to live in yoga pants and a ponytail, not so much anymore, I haven't left the house in yogas in a long time. I did meet the bus in PJs a few times this year though. It's not SO bad in the morning, but kinda sad at 3 in the afternoon ... (it's just at the end of the driveway and I was sick in my defense & I live pretty FAR from Dana LOL).

#6 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

Usually I make an effort to look decent. I used to live in yoga pants and a ponytail, not so much anymore, I haven't left the house in yogas in a long time. I did meet the bus in PJs a few times this year though. It's not SO bad in the morning, but kinda sad at 3 in the afternoon ... (it's just at the end of the driveway and I was sick in my defense & I live pretty FAR from Dana LOL).

ooooo you are SOOO lucky you live so far away....

#7 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

They're cute jammies :) and they match my coat! LOL ... okay yeah, it's sad.

#8 contentlife

contentlife

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

It depends on where I am going. Just running out sometimes I will wear bummy clothes. If I am going out out I will make myself more presentable.

#9 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

I never look bummy. My hair is short so no ponytail and always straightened never messy. I have been known to go without makeup, but not often and only since I have another baby in the house. Usually I just wear a bit of makeup, like coverup on blemishes an mascara. I wear yoga pants a lot, but their Lululemon and very nice. My Lulu is my mama uniform.

I feel better when I look decent.

#10 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

If I had Lulus (and I will ... droooool) I'd wear them all the time too :) They were supposed to be my "at goal" pants ... hmmm seems I have some shopping to do LOL

#11 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

I don't think I've ever left the house without doing my hair and at least putting mascara and under eye concealer on. Even during my delivery I had my sister fix my hair and makeup :) My doctor came in said I looked great and even commented on my eye shadow..lol As for clothes, I always look put together and never, ever sloppy be it going out or walking the dog. There is a way to look sporty chic too. I love yoga pants in the summer with a cute top and flip flops to go grocery shopping :)

#12 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

ha ha ha you can ask any of my girl friends lol i don't own sweat pants lol I have NEVER left the house in PJ's ither. not even when jake was in the nicu and I was up pumping all night and taking him up boob milk lol i still looked cute! hair done and a nice outfit with a necklace or a cute scarf and earings. I have organised my wordrobe over the years so that i CAN'T dress like a bum. and my hair looks good most of the time now without much if any primping.
I dont were much makeup but at least something on my lips and some eye stuff. yes i am vary picky about how i look. i like to look put together even if I brushed my hair in the reflection of the van after I strapped all the kids in lmao

#13 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

Honestly, unless I'm going out to a function I can't be bothered to get as done up as I'm capable of. Even that really isn't saying much, I have no cosmotology/hair skills to speak of.

F*cked up teeth in the front kind of ruins the effect of makeup anyways lol. Once that's taken care of and getting out there looking for work it will have to be done up daily. Its depressing as I'm one of those people who couldn't look polished to save their lives (even with the dental fixed).

#14 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hair is always done neatly. Make-up - hardly ever. I rarely even wear it to work. Just not my thing. Now if I'm going out for a night on the town, I'll put some on, but to go to work and crunch numbers all day? Nah. To go to the grocery store... again, my hair will look decent and I'll never be caught dead in sweats (mostly because I don't like them). You never know who you'll run into and I wouldn't want to feel embarrassed about how I looked.

#15 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:49 AM

Well i do own sweats - my favorite uniform for the daycare- lol usually jeans and a sweatshirt (maybe one day a week in jogging pants or track pants)
I will go out to walmart in my jogging pants -
Some days i won't wear make up.- if i do it is usually just eye liner and mascara.
But EVERY morning- no matter what (if i am camping, sick, it doesn't matter) i get up shower and blow dry my hair. I can't stand it i don't- hair is washed and blown dry daily.

since i had my surgery i have not been able to wear anything other than jogging pants. so for FIVE weeks now. I have some nerve damage issues in my stomach that makes anything rubbing or with buttons and zippers too uncomfortable. I still have swelling- by noon it makes anything i wear that doesn't go all the way over my fat - hurts me.
and i hate this. I don't usually dress up a ton - but jeans and a sweater or even jeans and a sweatshirt make me feel more comfortable. I had to go to a few meetings in sweats- i had my god son's confirmation and i was so embarrassed that i was dressed so inappropriately. I am always explaining my sweats to everyone.
and i even walked to the bus stop in my heart pj pants dana!!!!! But in my defense i either had the energy 8 days after surgery to change my pants or walk to get my kids. LOL!!!

#16 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

I never look bummy. My hair is short so no ponytail and always straightened never messy. I have been known to go without makeup, but not often and only since I have another baby in the house. Usually I just wear a bit of makeup, like coverup on blemishes an mascara. I wear yoga pants a lot, but their Lululemon and very nice. My Lulu is my mama uniform.

I feel better when I look decent.

I had my first Lululemon experience in BC a month ago. I. love. that. place!!! :)

To the OP, I do like to be somewhat presentable. I wear my fair share of yoga pants but this fits my lifestyle. On the rare occasion that I go out and don't have hair and makeup done, I always wind up running into someone I haven't seen in a while, LOL!

#17 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

i've taken neph to daycare in pjs before. but he was also in pjs because he didn't want to get dressed. /shrugs.
i rock yoga pants 3 days a week as my job has a dress code. But i stay in my pj pants until the very last moment, then put them back on when i get home.
i usually put on make up. But i have went out with a bare face.
As far as hair goes, i have dreads so there isn't much i can do with them. Up, down, in a ponytail, wrapped or in a headband are my options.
i usually go with down, i don't get a headache that way.
i have my dreads to thank for my confidence that i don't need to be dressed to the nines & never leave the house without make-up on.
having hair that is crazy & you have very little control over for the first 6 months teaches you a lot about inner beauty & not judging based on appearance.

#18 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yoga pants are fine in public. Pattern pj pants - not so much.

#19 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

I used to just go out wearing whatever was most comfortable (except pj pants) now I make sure I dress nice even to pick up or drop off the kids to school. It makes me feel better physically and better about myself. I've pretty much replaced all my "comfy" clothes with clothes that are still comfortable but also LOOK nice. I'm now much more "comfy" :)

Sorry but Pattern PJs and mnore then not so much they're NEVER ok!! Not even if you're going to the clinic becasue you've been throwing up all day!! MAYBE if you're going in by ambulance then ok but other then that LEAVE THEM HOME!!!

#20 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Always clean, hair may be dried and not straightened, and a little makeup when going out on the weekend.

Weekdays, clean, hair done and makeup.

Edited by mysticmom, 09 March 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

I rarely leave without makeup, my hair is ALWAYS clean, as am I.. lol I only wear PJ pants when in the house.. though I have been known to take the kids to the bus stop in them in the morning.

I don't wear much makeup, I like a barely there look. To me if I can tell you every bit of makeup you are wearing and I didn't see you put it on, you have too much on! lol I do a bit of eyeliner and sometimes mascara. My eyes react to eyeshadow.. not sure if it's all colors, but I don't want to take any chances. The puffy eyed look is not what I'm after.

I think I do need to "update" my style.. I am very casual.. hoodies, tshirts, jeans, etc.

#22 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I always put the effort in. Sometimes my hair is pulled back, but it's actually purposefully pulled back to look a certain way- not just gathered and slapped in an elastic. I do put makeup on when going out, although somedays I honestly don't need it- I'll just stick a moisturizer on with a tiny bit of shimmer for a fresh look. I'm actually proud of the fact, that I don't 'NEED' makeup to look/feel good- but I do love putting shadow/mascara , that sort of thing..but always minimal.

But I like going out and looking good, my favourite compliment to this day, is "wow...you're the mum of 3 kids? how do you look so rested and so young?!!!"

#23 ShannonC

ShannonC

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Agree

#24 LovingMommyof3

LovingMommyof3

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

i brush my hair, and teeth. but no makeup, whats that lol. sometimes i even wear my pjs, to drop the kids off, just depends on what i'm doin next.