9 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

I've heard of raw food diets before, but never really looked into what it actually was. Then I came across some Youtube videos when looking up something else and this one especially has really made me interested in trying some raw food recipes. it looks so yummy!

Does anybody here eat a raw food diet? By "diet" I mean that you try to eat raw foods for health, not diet to lose weight (though I'm sure a raw food diet would help you get thin/stay thin).

#2 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

i don't eat raw regularly but i love zucchini noodles & marinara. both raw & cooked.

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

I'm a fan of the raw food recipes, not for weight loss, but because they are healthy and taste great. This is a good site: /www.thebestofrawfood.com/ Some of the desserts are surprisingly yummy :)

#4 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

We eat a lot of raw foods here (or very little cooking by steaming it). One of my FAVOURITE recipes is a raw vegan rice salad. It's to DIE for!

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

I'm a fan of the raw food recipes, not for weight loss, but because they are healthy and taste great. This is a good site: /www.thebestofrawfood.com/ Some of the desserts are surprisingly yummy :)

Thanks for the link, it looks like a wealth of info!

We eat a lot of raw foods here (or very little cooking by steaming it). One of my FAVOURITE recipes is a raw vegan rice salad. It's to DIE for!

Could you pm me the recipe or post it here? Thanks!

#6 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Sure! Start with a cup of wild rice and cover it in water for 2 (or so) days. You'll need to change the water at least once a day. It's ready when it either sprouts OR the rice becomes chewy.

You'll add the following to the rice:

small finely chopped carrot (or shavings)
2 finely chopped celery stalks
1-2 chopped red peppers
1-2 chopped green onion or a handful of onion
finely chopped onion
juice of 1 lemon
dash of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sure! Start with a cup of wild rice and cover it in water for 2 (or so) days. You'll need to change the water at least once a day. It's ready when it either sprouts OR the rice becomes chewy.

You'll add the following to the rice:

small finely chopped carrot (or shavings)
2 finely chopped celery stalks
1-2 chopped red peppers
1-2 chopped green onion or a handful of onion
finely chopped onion
juice of 1 lemon
dash of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Sounds simple and yummy thanks!

#8 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

No problem!

I took a look at the URL that was mentioned and plugged the raw food "conversion" into a PDF if anyone wants to keep it.

Attached Files

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

No problem!

I took a look at the URL that was mentioned and plugged the raw food "conversion" into a PDF if anyone wants to keep it.

That chart will be handy to have. I feel overwhelmed with all the raw info I've been reading, but I think I'm going to start slow by trying to make one new raw food recipe each week.

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Tonight I made the Zucchini with Marinara Sauce I linked to in my original post and it was soooo good! I substituted Epicure Rustico seasoning for a couple of the herbs in the recipe, but it turned out really yummy. I'm sad to say, that's the first time I've ever eaten Zucchini that wasn't breaded and prepackaged (M&M Meat Shops). It tastes pretty bland on it's own, but he with the sauce it was perfect. It's the freshest sauce I've tasted in a long time too, probably because I whipped it up using all fresh ingredients in my blender :)

Ds at first wouldn't even try it, kept making faces (he's very picky, especially when it comes to vegetables). I told him he had to try it, so after a few minutes he took a bite and said, "I like this." He then proceeded to eat the whole bowl and asked for seconds. I was shocked!

It was so quick and easy to make too - maybe 10 minutes tops to peel the zucchini and then cut the fresh ingredients and pop all the ingredients in the blender.

I'm going to aim for at least one new raw recipe a week to build up a repetoire of new meals.