51 replies to this topic

#1 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Do people really pay their babysitters minimum wage? I posted an ad on kijiji looking for a mothers helper for Grace for a few weeks while I'm recovering from surgery as I won't be able to lift and all that good stuff. I was looking for 25 hrs a week and they could bring their children yadda yadda and offered $100/week which works out to about $4/hr to babysit my child while I am home all day long and they also tend to their children. I've had several people reply telling me they were interested IF I was to pay minimum wage and even had one person reply that they were going to report me to the labour board because I was asking child labour wages LOL WTF? I understand that $100/week isn't a lot of money, but thats what I can afford considering I'm not being paid while being off, which is why I stated children welcome and that it would be a bit of extra money for a sahm or mom on mat leave. If I pay minimum wage for someone to help me out, I may as well get my husband to stay home from work as there would be no point in him working at that point. Thankfully there has been a couple of mature sahm's who have responded and we are meeting with next week. The child labour wage comment threw me over the edge. :wacko:

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

report to labor board really? LOL that is just plain ridiculous. I think what you are offering is reasonably. specially since you will still be there and they can brig their own kids, how many places would allow that?! If I was not in school I would take it!

#3 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

I don't think you are insane - and I do think the "reporting to the labour board" was out of line and over the top.

However, I did think the rate was kind of low when I saw your post. I understand where you are coming from but don't be surprised if there are not too many takers but I hope for your sake you do get some awesome responses.

#4 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Its easy enough for those people: you don't like the wage don't take the job lol.

#5 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

while i would not take a job paying only $4h the labor board comment was just absurd LOL

#6 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

while i would not take a job paying only $4h the labor board comment was just absurd LOL

i agree..

#7 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

ya i also think the labour board comment is funny
but i do think your rates are a bit too low and you probably wont have many takers

#8 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't take the job either, but if you don't like the deets you don't have to take the job.

Maybe if you doubled it? 200$ for the week? I just think maybe the quality may be a bit better?

#9 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

I would only pay minimum wage to someone who is actually going to claim the income, hehe. Is your surgery in the spring/summer? Maybe you could find a tween or young teen who'd jump on that kind of cash?

#10 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I would only pay minimum wage to someone who is actually going to claim the income, hehe. Is your surgery in the spring/summer? Maybe you could find a tween or young teen who'd jump on that kind of cash?

Its next month.

I would have been happy to help, but with not currently having a car, and the kids bus schedule there is no way I could make it work.

#11 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

I pay teenagers $7-8 an hour when they babysit and I had an adult nanny/helper for awhile and she was paid $10/hr, so I can see why you wouldn't get any takers. JMO

As for the comment...it was rude...if they are not interested they could just say no thank you.

#12 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

but i do think your rates are a bit too low and you probably wont have many takers

I agree.... though if I was seeing the ad on kijiji I would probably read it and move on... just like I did your original post... im sure theres somebody out there who would be interested... but Id definitely not consider working 30 hrs a week for $100 regardless of whether I could take my kid or not.

#13 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

I agree.... though if I was seeing the ad on kijiji I would probably read it and move on... just like I did your original post... im sure theres somebody out there who would be interested... but Id definitely not consider working 30 hrs a week for $100 regardless of whether I could take my kid or not.

Yup completely agree! I can't even find a teenage babysitter for that rate of pay! Your original post says 30 hours so really they are getting just over $3 an hour which is way too low of an amount to have someone who will be completely reliable I would think!!

#14 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

I agree, i would read the post, and if i didnt like what was offered, i would just move on. I wouldnt look like an ass and make stupid comments like that. As for the rate of pay, i dont know, i dont get babysitters often lol, so i have no idea what the going rate is.

#15 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

I think their comments were uncalled for, but the pay isn't going to get you many offers. That's a lot of hours in a week, that's spent in someone else's home. For even 4 bucks an hour, its not even close to being worth it. And if they didn't live in walking distance of you, the gas or bus fare alone would use up the majority of that money.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 19 March 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#16 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

im not arguing that its not a lot of money however im losing my income for 3 months and cant afford to lose half of my husbands either. Im willing to pay a little more if its someone i really like. Im basically paying someone to come hang out with me and grace and change the occasional diaper/sit her on the potty. Basically the lifting. I thought it would be a bit of extra cash for someone whos home with their kids anyway. I would never expect someone outside my area of the city to apply. I have had 3 seemingly really nice people reply and we are meeting them next week. I just figured why respond to something to only say something negative kwim? Just dont respond to the ad at all if you dont want it/dont think its enough. I realize it was a long time ago but I clearly remember getting paid $4/hr to babysit 3 kids I didnt realize the rates jumped so much. We dont go out often but when we do I pay my cousin between 3-4/hr to babysit and she seems really pleased with that.

#17 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

If you don't find someone that you like of these 3 candidates, maybe consider a home daycare for Grace? I know that you wanted her at home with you, but many home providers only charge about $30-$35/day, so this would still be in your budget, or very close.

AND, yes, I agree that the rates for babysitting sort of jumped right passed inflation. The rates were never on par with minimum wage when I was a kid...not even half, so for people to expect to get $10/hr to babysit while you are there is also a bit much!

#18 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

I wont be able drive though or lift her into the carseat. Im not supposed to lift anything over 5lbs for 6 weeks after surgery. My husband starts work at 5am which means that if we went that route she'd have to be dropped off at 4am in order for him to get to work on time.

#19 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

So, when you signed up for this surgery, you didn't have a plan as to how or who would care for your daughter? I sort of recall you posting this was WLS, so if it's not, please ignore my comment. But for WLS, it's some what elective no? I've wanted to get my bunions removed for years, but never considered doing it when my kids were still really dependent on me for primary care.

#20 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

babysitters were always give way less than minimum wage but while 3 or 4 bucks an hour was ok years ago i think its not enough now

#21 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

I've wanted to get my bunions removed for years, but never considered doing it when my kids were still really dependent on me for primary care.

That logic is flawed.

Once she is healed there is so much more benefit to Grace in the long run for that argument to be used. The sooner Jen is more healthy the less stress and detriment to her health, the longer she can be there for her little girl. Why wouldn't she do it?

#22 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

So, when you signed up for this surgery, you didn't have a plan as to how or who would care for your daughter? I sort of recall you posting this was WLS, so if it's not, please ignore my comment. But for WLS, it's some what elective no? I've wanted to get my bunions removed for years, but never considered doing it when my kids were still really dependent on me for primary care.

seriously was that really called for? You dont know her personal situation. I really dont see how 4$ is too little. I mean she is going to be there and they dont need to pay child care for their own children if they have any. She just needs someone to do some small tasks like lifting her dd. I could understand if they would be taking full on care of her needing more money.

#23 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

yes its wls and its no different than any other surgery, it shouldnt and DOESNT matter what kind of surgery it is. I'm not interested in anyones opinion on my decision to have it. Ive been over it time and time again, and rediculed for it over and over and Im done arguing about it and feeling the need to explain myself. I dont owe strangers an explination of why I chose to have surgery. Its not anyones business if/what my plans were or the fact that my plan did not include the person who agreed to help me backing out and taking a 6 week vacation in new mexico during the exact time I needed help. I am happy with my decision, my husband is happy with my decision and my daughter will be gaining the mother she deserves. THAT is what matters, NOT what my surgery is for.

#24 one_new_mom

one_new_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

What a ridiculous comment. Way out of line. Perhaps you are just jealous???

Mamma2Gracie-- I hope you find someone to help you out. Any friends/family willing to help out?

#25 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

yes its wls and its no different than any other surgery, it shouldnt and DOESNT matter what kind of surgery it is. I'm not interested in anyones opinion on my decision to have it. Ive been over it time and time again, and rediculed for it over and over and Im done arguing about it and feeling the need to explain myself. I dont owe strangers an explination of why I chose to have surgery. Its not anyones business if/what my plans were or the fact that my plan did not include the person who agreed to help me backing out and taking a 6 week vacation in new mexico during the exact time I needed help. I am happy with my decision, my husband is happy with my decision and my daughter will be gaining the mother she deserves. THAT is what matters, NOT what my surgery is for.

You absolutely don't owe anyone an explanation nor should you have to defend your decision, elective or otherwise. I hope you find the help that you need. :friends

#26 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

I apologize. I guess you did have a plan, and it fell through. What kind of person agrees to help you while you're in recovery, then bails?

#27 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

my so called ''flesh and blood''

#28 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone whos been very supportive. Good friends make the journey easier :)

#29 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

Jen, if you work you may be eligible for sick benmefits through EI, that is for a 16 week duration. That is if you do not have coverage through your employer. This may assist you in paying for the help you require.

Maybe you should up it to $125 a week, that would be $25 a day, which is still on the lower end, but if someone stays home with their kids anyway, they may jump at it to have extra money in there pocket.

#30 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

I have paid a few of my childcare providers $10 a hr. BUT they also came back after taking them to school to clean and do laundry even cooking for them. Mine were also under contract and had to file taxes on it. Honestly I felt your offer was low but everyone has a budget they must work with. Is there anyway you can cut corners in other areas of the budget to pay more ? (if you can's get anyone) Its too bad you didn't have family that would help you.

As for the crazy comment on WLS, OH MY for bettering yourself, your health and your families future and to not be a burden on the health care system. Now you can't take care of your family too for recovery. WTF ?? Ever wonder when ppl cast stones what their perfect life is like ?? Obviously they must be just f'king perfect and have no flaws right ??

I stopped defending my choices too, ignorance is bliss...

Edited by ~Tracy~, 20 March 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#31 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

what if you broke it up between 2 ppl? it could be 25-30 houers a week may be alot to comit to.. i would love to do it but my kids get off the bus at 3:30 and I would have to be home for that.. and I have lots of Jake oppointments lol I would have no problem chilaxing with you and Grace and Jake all day lol

#32 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

while the offer may be low to most .....My first thought, from what I keep hearing, is there are lots of people struggling to make ends meet who could easily go to her house and earn $100/week vs staying home earning nothing and complaining about it...

I had no doubt she would find someone who would grab the opportunity. I am glad to hear you have indeed found 3 such people and hope it works out as you journey down your healthy life road

#33 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Here are some suggestions on what to do if home care does not work out.
Have hubby take the first 2 days off work, when you are feeling your worst.
Then, have Grace adapt to a new routine. As she is nearly two, have a toddler bed replace her crib, so that you will not have to boost her in and out. If a toddler bed is out of your budget right now, have her climb up into your bed for naps. Best of all, you can lay down with her and have a rest yourself. Have meals served at a small table and chair, or picnic-style on the floor for a while so that she doesn't have to be helped in and out of her high chair. Better yet, have her kneel on an adult chair at the family dinner table just like a grown up. A step-stool will appeal to her natural sense of climbing, so she will learn to climb up to the chair or bed by herself.
Grace is a smart cookie and very in tune with her mother, so you might be very pleasantly surprised with how well she "takes care" of you. <3

#34 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

twow, then I really undercharge people and I do ten times the stuff. I charge 30 dollars for a full day up to 9 hours, I treat them like my own kids (so they are a tad spoiled here) I change them, I feed them healthy meals, I supply everything except diapers and people want minimum wage to do what. To go to someones home where everything is supplied and do nothing. Also, my odd babysits and everyone pays her 5 dollars and hour which i think is pretty darn good (she only watches up to 4 hours) you know if your stuck you can bring her here, your parents live down the street so they can drop off and pick up for you too.

#35 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Those are some great suggestions Zerodog made but keep in mind it might not be as simple as adjusting things. Once I had mine I was completely dependant on my DH and kids for sooo much. It was so hard to get up and down from my recliner. DH slept on the couch cause getting up and down alone was impossible for a little while. I couldn't even bend to put socks on. But I know some who were out shopping a few days later. I couldn't make it down my block without being exhausted and in extreme pain.

Jen I hope you find someone who can help out. And for those that made the comment about the surgery (not ideas on adjusting things...as it's great to think ahead of what can possibly help) she isn't here talking about whether to have the surgery or not...she's talking about a rate.