51 replies to this topic

#36 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

twow, then I really undercharge people and I do ten times the stuff. I charge 30 dollars for a full day up to 9 hours, I treat them like my own kids (so they are a tad spoiled here) I change them, I feed them healthy meals, I supply everything except diapers and people want minimum wage to do what. To go to someones home where everything is supplied and do nothing. Also, my odd babysits and everyone pays her 5 dollars and hour which i think is pretty darn good (she only watches up to 4 hours) you know if your stuck you can bring her here, your parents live down the street so they can drop off and pick up for you too.

While I do see your point....you likely woulnd't last too long if you only had one child to care for...most in-home providers have at least 3 children a day...so that makes it more like $90 a day, instead of just $20-$30.

If other people are available to do the drop-off and pick-up.....this is an awesome offer though!

My worry about someone coming in to help...is that Grace is not going to be over impressed with having her mommy right there...but another "big person" is doing the lifting. Just from experience, Grace may not be a willing participant and Jenn....you may have a hard time not giving in! Mommies are notorious for putting their crying kids ahead of their own needs!

Good luck either way....I truly hope you can find the best solution!

#37 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

twow, then I really undercharge people and I do ten times the stuff. I charge 30 dollars for a full day up to 9 hours, I treat them like my own kids (so they are a tad spoiled here) I change them, I feed them healthy meals, I supply everything except diapers and people want minimum wage to do what. To go to someones home where everything is supplied and do nothing. Also, my odd babysits and everyone pays her 5 dollars and hour which i think is pretty darn good (she only watches up to 4 hours) you know if your stuck you can bring her here, your parents live down the street so they can drop off and pick up for you too.

i know 3 people that do home daycare and they charge double what you do
they are always full and the one has a waiting list

i think 5 bucks an hour for a teen is fine

#38 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

IS the pain similar to a caesarian, or different, are your rules the same for not driving and stairs???

#39 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

IS the pain similar to a caesarian, or different, are your rules the same for not driving and stairs???

I'm assuming it's similar to a C-section (which I had with Grace). 6 weeks no lifting anything over 5lbs, bending, driving, stairs, vacuuming. After 6 weeks you can lift up to 10 lbs for 3 months after your surgery. After 3 months you are expected to return to life as normal. Walking is very important during the recovery process to keep your blood flowing and away from clotting. The surgeon suggested 20 minutes 3-4 times a day and slowly increase the duration over time. By 3 months after the surgery he would like a 1 hr walk twice a day.

#40 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Best of luck with it, and hopefully you find someone. Did you look into the EI sick benefits?

#41 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

I also like karen's ideas... i just had my surgery 6 weeks ago... i am still on lifting restrictions now. My girls are older - i understand- but i had to adjust EVERYTHING I do. My daycare kids came back at week 3- I have not lifted one child. Right before my surgery i graduated the children to new sleeping habits- the older daycare children that sleep in playpens (all are 2 yrs old) began sleeping on cots. I have one daycare child that is grace's age- and we started having her sleep on a cot as well. I would sit with her - at the doorway - until she fell asleep.
it has worked great for me. I change the children on the floor- on a change mat- and we don't eat in the highchairs- i do have the little one that sits in one of those chair top booster seats with a tray- and i have put it on the floor for her- so i just take the tray off and she sits.
so while this has nothing to do with your vent- i understand - i thought maybe it would save you some $$ too. My kids and daycare kids all know i have a boo boo on my tummy- I find that like when you have a sore throat and you whisper - they really listen - kwim? I was not allowed to lift anything more than my kettle - is what i was told- no sweeping- no vac- no laundry- rest. I know I expected to be TERRIBLE- like i was dying- and really i felt great.
oh and this is why dh's are great. they come home from work and take over the daddy and mommy duties.

hope it all works out for you.

#42 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

I would help you if we didn't live so far away but the price of gas would eat up anything made. $100 may not be a lot in comparison to the hours but it would be an extra $100/week for us that we wouldn't normally have which is quite a big in the grand scheme of things. If you get really stuck Jen and need someone for a day to fill in or something I would happily come help you I just couldn't do it full time since you are too far away. If you need help with anything though don't hesitate to ask.

#43 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Well if I knew where you lived and/or if my niece had a car I would certainly recommend it to her...she could use the extra money and she is an ECE worker with a little one of her own.

#44 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I'm not too far from wher eyou used to be Janet :) Thanks everyone. At least I know that I have some back up if I get stuck for a sick call or something :)

#45 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

I have someone coming into my home, starting in sept, 4 days a month for 7 hours each day (8-3) and I'm paying $30 a day. It breaks down to $4.28 cents an hour, and they are not providing me with a reciept. They are also bringing their own child and using my food, etc for her child as well. I thought that was a great bargain for both of us. so no, your not insane.

#46 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Much luck with your surgery, my mom had this done, and was great for her.
I Hope that a friend can step up and stay with you and toss them some cash, I dont think paying a friend $4 that is helping you out unrealistic, I hope you dont have to get a stranger.
I know if I had a friend going in for surgery/ or needed help at all I sure hope they could ask me for MY help,I probably would be offended if they didnt ask for my help actually. I would do that in a heartbeat and take some vaca.

#47 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm assuming it's similar to a C-section (which I had with Grace). 6 weeks no lifting anything over 5lbs, bending, driving, stairs, vacuuming. After 6 weeks you can lift up to 10 lbs for 3 months after your surgery. After 3 months you are expected to return to life as normal. Walking is very important during the recovery process to keep your blood flowing and away from clotting. The surgeon suggested 20 minutes 3-4 times a day and slowly increase the duration over time. By 3 months after the surgery he would like a 1 hr walk twice a day.

Ok totally off topic... I apologize... but I received the same information after my surgery to remove the ovarian cancer about the lifting... Seriously tho... how can they tell a new mom going home with an 8lb baby not to lift anything??

#48 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Ok totally off topic... I apologize... but I received the same information after my surgery to remove the ovarian cancer about the lifting... Seriously tho... how can they tell a new mom going home with an 8lb baby not to lift anything??

i had 2 sections- and i was told to lift nothing heavier than my newborn- not to carry them in their carseat either.
my girls were 9 1/2 lbs and 7 13.

#49 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

I didn't have to worry about that. She was 6 weeks early and was only 5 lbs when she left the hospital. :)

#50 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

When I had my c section, I was told to carry nothing more than my baby (who was 9 lbs 2 1/2 oz).

#51 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

you know if your stuck you can bring her here, your parents live down the street so they can drop off and pick up for you too.

They were supposed to watch her in the first place and have decided to visit my sister in new mexico instead

#52 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

while the offer may be low to most .....My first thought, from what I keep hearing, is there are lots of people struggling to make ends meet who could easily go to her house and earn $100/week vs staying home earning nothing and complaining about it...

I had no doubt she would find someone who would grab the opportunity. I am glad to hear you have indeed found 3 such people and hope it works out as you journey down your healthy life road

this

wishing you the best jen i hope you find someone