#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

So my kid got in trouble last night.

He was out with friends, and was skateboarding downtown around 10pm ( btw he is almost 19 ). They had a couple of beers, and were going to another friends house. He left his vehicle parked at his friends house, no drinking and driving, but they used their skateboards as transportation.

Anyways, the police stopped them and gave him 4 fines. I am totally for the being out in public under the influence fine, while they werent out causing trouble, its not allowed to be out in public if you have been drinking ( recall the man who got charged while waiting for his cab outside a bar )

But really, to fine him $125 for using a toy upon a highway?? To me that just seems incredibly ridiculous.. Oh and they fined him for jaywalking for not crossing at the light..

Oh and when I called to find out what had happenned to him, omg were the police ever rude to me. I was talked down to like I was a criminal.. Really pissed me off.. I should have got the badge number.

Anyways.. be careful out there if you are ever using a toy on the road, you may get whacked with a hefty fine!

#2 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

omg that seems pretty silly
kids are out all the time on skateboards i didnt know it wasnt allowed

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

See I never got the drunk in public fine thing. I could be fined for being drunk in public because I choose to walk home instead of driving drunk and thats just stupid to me. As is being fined for skateboarding home. Ridiculous. Sounds like someone was behind on his ticket quota for the month.

#4 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

He got almost $400 in fines.. Now will require legal-aid to set up either a payment plan or have the two silly ones thrown out. To me its a waste of taxpayers money to tie up the court system over it. Fine him for the driking one, which he would pay, then its over and done with.

#5 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

I totally agree with you Jenn! PAthetic waste of tax payers $$ I would venture to call my MP t get that removed from the books too! How would one even know that is illegal??? I might even venture to report that to the enws & ahve it raise public questions on the fact that such a law even exists. We are trying to get people to NOT drink & drive seems to me he was being responsible in doing so!

#6 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

I have tried to find the bylaws on line and can't find this particular one. I will call the city tomorrow and try and get a copy of the bylaws.

#7 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

could there be a possibility your son was being a mouthy little **hole? I can't see no other reason for the handful of cheesy tickets.

#8 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Oh and when I called to find out what had happenned to him, omg were the police ever rude to me. I was talked down to like I was a criminal.. Really pissed me off.. I should have got the badge number.

You can still make a complaint without a badge number, just need the time and date you called. But before you call, how were they rude to you. Did they tell you that under the privacy laws they can't release any info to you because your son is an adult? Was it not so much what they said but how they said it?? You don't need a badge # to file complaints if they are on a taped line.

#9 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

could there be a possibility your son was being a mouthy little **hole? I can't see no other reason for the handful of cheesy tickets.

wow thats some mighty big balls calling someone elses kid a mouthy little ****.

#10 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Oh no doubt he was, but that was after the cops asked him if he had ever had his ass kicked by the windsor police.
Yes, there was a witness to it, and I wouldnt have believed it really myself until I encountered how rude they were to me.
My complaint isnt the fact they wouldnt give me any information it was how they spoke to me, it was very rude and uncalled for.

And even if the reason for the handing out of the cheesy tickets was his attitude, what does it prove? That they can throw the book at someone just to power trip?

#11 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

im confused.. he was skateboarding on a highway while drunk?

#12 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

I was just talking to another member about my dh being charged for traffic violations- not just the speeding one but 2 others- that DIDN'T happen- failing to stop at a stop sign (there was no stop sign) and i forget the other one. he did go to court to fight the tickets- the 2 were dropped and the speeding was brought down to a lesser fine. I don't know if your son can do the same- my dh just went in on his own- no lawyer or anything- just him infront of the judge- and everyone else waiting to fight a ticket. I don't know if it would be the same thing- your son's tickets?
I do feel like some police are on a power trip- not all- but some.

and jen- you are a good mom for trying to help him out.
oh and which highway was he on...just for curiousity's sake??? (if you don't want to answer you don't have to)

#13 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

I wonder if there's a time curfew for Charles Park Square or a no boarding by law?

#14 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Was ten pm, downtown Chatham at Goyeau.
Lina, they were skating downtown, to get from point a to b, and he was under the influence.

#15 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

I was just talking to another member about my dh being charged for traffic violations- not just the speeding one but 2 others- that DIDN'T happen- failing to stop at a stop sign (there was no stop sign) and i forget the other one. he did go to court to fight the tickets- the 2 were dropped and the speeding was brought down to a lesser fine. I don't know if your son can do the same- my dh just went in on his own- no lawyer or anything- just him infront of the judge- and everyone else waiting to fight a ticket. I don't know if it would be the same thing- your son's tickets?
I do feel like some police are on a power trip- not all- but some.

and jen- you are a good mom for trying to help him out.
oh and which highway was he on...just for curiousity's sake??? (if you don't want to answer you don't have to)

I will have to call tomorrow to see if he can do the same. And I agree, some are on power trips, certainly not all, I know a few good guys on the force, but some ruin it for others.

I am glad your hubby got a little break on the tickets!

#16 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

excuse me? I've got big balls for asking a valid question? It seems like "stick it to him" type tickets. So its a very valid question thank you. And for the record, I'm not asking if her son is a mouthy little ****, I'm asking if it is possible that he was being pne to the cops that night.

#17 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Oh no doubt he was, but that was after the cops asked him if he had ever had his ass kicked by the windsor police.
Yes, there was a witness to it, and I wouldnt have believed it really myself until I encountered how rude they were to me.
My complaint isnt the fact they wouldnt give me any information it was how they spoke to me, it was very rude and uncalled for.

And even if the reason for the handing out of the cheesy tickets was his attitude, what does it prove? That they can throw the book at someone just to power trip?

You can still complain about the attitude you were given on the phone. They should have remained professional with you regardless of what you were calling for.

I wouldn't look at it so much as power tripping. I would look at it as they can only do one thing to teach disrespectful people to respect authority, and that is by giving penalities, (tickets) for every thing they legally can. It will teach your son a valuable lesson, to respect authority. Even if its tongue in cheek respect (which most is anyway when it comes to police).

But I wasn't there, so I can't say, and for all we know, it could have been some power hungry police just looking to try and stick it to someone. But I'm venturing a guess is all. Sucks for your son.

#18 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

You can still complain about the attitude you were given on the phone. They should have remained professional with you regardless of what you were calling for.

I wouldn't look at it so much as power tripping. I would look at it as they can only do one thing to teach disrespectful people to respect authority, and that is by giving penalities, (tickets) for every thing they legally can. It will teach your son a valuable lesson, to respect authority. Even if its tongue in cheek respect (which most is anyway when it comes to police).

But I wasn't there, so I can't say, and for all we know, it could have been some power hungry police just looking to try and stick it to someone. But I'm venturing a guess is all. Sucks for your son.

I get respecting authority but if the cops did indeed say something to the tune of "have you ever gotten your asses kicked by Windsor Police before?" that is flat out baiting them. "Respect us but we don't have to respect you" sounds like the message they were possibly sending.

#19 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

I get respecting authority but if the cops did indeed say something to the tune of "have you ever gotten your asses kicked by Windsor Police before?" that is flat out baiting them. "Respect us but we don't have to respect you" sounds like the message they were possibly sending.

If something like that was said AND it was witnessed by a third party...COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN!!!!!! The badge number is on the ticket!

#20 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

excuse me? I've got big balls for asking a valid question? It seems like "stick it to him" type tickets. So its a very valid question thank you. And for the record, I'm not asking if her son is a mouthy little ****, I'm asking if it is possible that he was being pne to the cops that night.

There are way better ways to phrase the question. Having an attitude is the first that comes to mind. Ex. "Is it possible that your son could have had a bad attitude?" vs. "is it possible your son was being a mouthy little ass hole?" I can't imagine that you would take it too nicely had someone phrased the question that way to you.

#21 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

Has your son every been charged criminally before? You usually get treated the way you treat the Police. And another note there is no such thing as a ticket quota for Windsor Police or parking enforcement. You should really look up some of the City by-laws, because I'm sure theres alot of them that you would not agree with.

#22 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

I'm sorry, but I find it highly unlikely that a cop would have said, "Have you ever had your ass kicked by the Windsor police" out of the blue and for no reason at all. Not that it makes it right for a cop to say it at all, but I highly doubt it was because the kids were just minding their own business and not acting like douche nozzles.

#23 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

There are way better ways to phrase the question. Having an attitude is the first that comes to mind. Ex. "Is it possible that your son could have had a bad attitude?" vs. "is it possible your son was being a mouthy little ass hole?" I can't imagine that you would take it too nicely had someone phrased the question that way to you.

I was trying to ask if perhaps there was more then just a bad attitude, like a really really really bad attitude. I didn't mean to offend JenK.

#24 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm sorry, but I find it highly unlikely that a cop would have said, "Have you ever had your ass kicked by the Windsor police" out of the blue and for no reason at all. Not that it makes it right for a cop to say it at all, but I highly doubt it was because the kids were just minding their own business and not acting like douche nozzles.

So let me get this straight, if the kids were being "douche nozzles" or "mouthy a-holes" it would be okay for a cop to say that?!?

#25 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Not to disagree with what you are saying, but some people may take offense to the douche nozzles as they did my mouth little *hole comment.

#26 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

So let me get this straight, if the kids were being "douche nozzles" or "mouthy a-holes" it would be okay for a cop to say that?!?

No it would not be okay for a cop to say that, but it would be okay to give the "douche nozzles" or "mouthy a-holes" a fistful of tickets.

#27 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

?
if he is 19 i don't think they are allowed to give you info? wouldn't that be breaching the privacy law?

#28 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Was ten pm, downtown Chatham at Goyeau.
Lina, they were skating downtown, to get from point a to b, and he was under the influence.

Errrr. that's a highway??? sorry, im sooo not getting it LOL

#29 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

couple things.... U said 4 tickets.... I saw under influence while in public, jaywalking, & riding a toy. What was the 4th.

Next thing. Make sure EVERY spot ont he ticket is filled in. If not it will be automatically thrown out. They must have the number for the law on the ticket I can't remember what it is called. It is about 1/2 way to 75% of the way down.

Next I would file harassment & threatening charges against the officer if in fact he did threaten to whop ass as that is not right.

Finally I would take the opportunity to express to the chief downtown that if officers treat young impressionable adults like this becuase they do not show them respect they won't show it in the future becuase now they ahve set a bad precident. There are other ways the officer could ahve handled it and I would as I said before bring the news into it to riase public awareness over stupid laws like this. Your son was trying to be responsible by not driving & seems to me he got punished for that. Also why did the cops initally stop them??? If they did not ahve a valid reason then it is for sure harassment just becuase he is young.

#30 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

I just want to clarify, I am not saying they were being rude over not providing me any info, they were rude in how he told me they couldnt tell me anything . I understand the confidentiality issue.

I dont want to go into detail regarding the conversation I had, but I had asked something else that was unrelated to my son, and the officer treated me like I was making a bunch of stuff up and basically treating me like I was a criminal.. It wasnt just his words, but the tone, and the sound of him being totally aggravated that I had even called.

#31 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

4 charges were being drunk in public $65
underage drinking $125
using a toy on a highway $125 ( skateboarding across the street )
pedestrian disobey red light $50 ( wasnt a red light, they just didnt cross at the light )

so total $365.

They werent beeing douchess and trying to cause trouble, they were going from point a to b that was it. He left his truck at his friends house and they were on foot and skateboard.
He shaved his head because he was finding it hot at work, so I am sure its because he has a shaved head that they harassed him.

Honestly, they went right past the cop shop, who goes purposely looking for trouble at the cop shop??

#32 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

couple things.... U said 4 tickets.... I saw under influence while in public, jaywalking, & riding a toy. What was the 4th.

Next thing. Make sure EVERY spot ont he ticket is filled in. If not it will be automatically thrown out. They must have the number for the law on the ticket I can't remember what it is called. It is about 1/2 way to 75% of the way down.

Next I would file harassment & threatening charges against the officer if in fact he did threaten to whop ass as that is not right.

Finally I would take the opportunity to express to the chief downtown that if officers treat young impressionable adults like this becuase they do not show them respect they won't show it in the future becuase now they ahve set a bad precident. There are other ways the officer could ahve handled it and I would as I said before bring the news into it to riase public awareness over stupid laws like this. Your son was trying to be responsible by not driving & seems to me he got punished for that. Also why did the cops initally stop them??? If they did not ahve a valid reason then it is for sure harassment just becuase he is young.

Every spot does not need to be filled out on the ticket, there only a few fatal flaws, so I would get your facts straight first. There has to be a reason for the officers to speak with them, like skateboarding on the roadway and causing a hazhard in traffic. If they were minding there own buisness they would have not have drawn attention to themselves.
And to express your thoughts to the Chief, is not the way to handle it, the public must submit in writing to the Office of the independent Police Review Director.

Another thing about people being drunk in public, he's lucky he just got a ticket...he could have been arrested under the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario and he would have been spending the night sleeping on a piece of cement and still got the ticket.

#33 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

4 charges were being drunk in public $65
underage drinking $125
using a toy on a highway $125 ( skateboarding across the street )
pedestrian disobey red light $50 ( wasnt a red light, they just didnt cross at the light )

so total $365.

They werent beeing douchess and trying to cause trouble, they were going from point a to b that was it. He left his truck at his friends house and they were on foot and skateboard.
He shaved his head because he was finding it hot at work, so I am sure its because he has a shaved head that they harassed him.

Honestly, they went right past the cop shop, who goes purposely looking for trouble at the cop shop??

Are you kiding me about having a shaved head.....ya thats why he got a ticket...that like saying because he was wearing a red jacket he got a ticket......you really need to talk to your son about was he was really doing....you weren't there so you can't speak for him. I'm %100 sure that hes not telling the full and true story.

#34 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

oh he did have accomodations for the night.. plus got the four tickets.

#35 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Every spot does not need to be filled out on the ticket, there only a few fatal flaws, so I would get your facts straight first. There has to be a reason for the officers to speak with them, like skateboarding on the roadway and causing a hazhard in traffic. If they were minding there own buisness they would have not have drawn attention to themselves.
And to express your thoughts to the Chief, is not the way to handle it, the public must submit in writing to the Office of the independent Police Review Director.

Another thing about people being drunk in public, he's lucky he just got a ticket...he could have been arrested under the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario and he would have been spending the night sleeping on a piece of cement and still got the ticket.

Clearly I ruffled your feathers for some reason with my reply. Not sure why that would be. I am telling what I was told when my hubby went to court over a ticket he got. The most important thing was a missing # on the ticket. Seems you know your stuff so maybe you could share that info since I see to have goten it incorrect.

Further it is your opion on how she should handle it & I ahve mine. If I thought my child was wronged I would go to the chief & open up dialog. Simple as that. That would be my direct avenue. I have never heard of Office of the independent Police Review Director & I would think MOST of the public has not heard of it either. Having said that I don't think you get very far by just writing a letter anyhow so it is not likly an avenue I would choose unless I was given no other choice & if that is the case it would send a clear message to me that they don't want to hear from the people. I prefer to deal directly with a person & one that is in a position of authority to make change.

I think Jenn already said her son was mouthy. I have no doubt from what she siad that she knows this. I don't agree with ANY police office threatening to whoop ass & I also think someitmes clearer heads cna previal if an officer explains I could ticket you for abcd but this time I won't I will only ticket you for X because I understand you were trying to do the responsible thing by not driving drunk. This to me would have earned the officer some respect as wll as taught the youngster a lesson too.