Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

4 charges were being drunk in public $65
underage drinking $125
using a toy on a highway $125 ( skateboarding across the street )
pedestrian disobey red light $50 ( wasnt a red light, they just didnt cross at the light )

so total $365.

They werent beeing douchess and trying to cause trouble, they were going from point a to b that was it. He left his truck at his friends house and they were on foot and skateboard.
He shaved his head because he was finding it hot at work, so I am sure its because he has a shaved head that they harassed him.

Honestly, they went right past the cop shop, who goes purposely looking for trouble at the cop shop??

Are you kiding me about having a shaved head.....ya thats why he got a ticket...that like saying because he was wearing a red jacket he got a ticket......you really need to talk to your son about was he was really doing....you weren't there so you can't speak for him. I'm %100 sure that hes not telling the full and true story.

I am saying, I wouldnt be surprised if they were targeted because of how they look. Kids that have shaved head, or wear lumberjackets, have really long hair etc, that look like thugs, are more likely to raise suspicion than kids that are wearing a dress shirt and golf shorts.
And really, if you werent there, then how do you know if he is or isnt telling 100% of the story?

#37 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

oh he did have accomodations for the night.. plus got the four tickets.

Well that should tell you something. The officers would of have to completed a report and it would have to be approved by several supervisors in the process!!! Your son should get a copy of the report and have him show you it, and I'm sure you will get your answers!!!

#38 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

oh he did have accomodations for the night.. plus got the four tickets.

Well that should tell you something. The officers would of have to completed a report and it would have to be approved by several supervisors in the process!!! Your son should get a copy of the report and have him show you it, and I'm sure you will get your answers!!!

Yeah but that is a report from just the officer's point of view! I think that there are times when stuff gets left out of police reports ;)

#39 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Well, SOME cops, ESPECIALLY downtown Windsor cops, DO power trip. They DO take things further than they need to.

Just last week, Ryan was driving down Ouellette. He literally did NOTHING wrong. He had a guy in his car who looks admittedly sketchy. He's a great guy, this friend of Ryan's, but he looks shady. A cop drove past them, turned around and came up behind Ryan on Ouellette. He threw on his cherries, and Ryan, being a county kid, pulled into the first available parking lot. The cop FREAKED out on Ryan. Like, FREAKED. Yelling, swearing, the whole nine yards. Ryan didn't know that in Windsor, you just pull over right on the road. Where we live, we have shoulders to pull off onto, so Ryan was looking for a safe place to pull over and chose the closest parking lot.

So anyway, this cop freaks out on Ryan then demands his friends ID and whatnot. Never ONCE did he offer a reason as to why he pulled Ryan over. When Ryan asked, this a**hole cop told him to shut the eff up and be happy he wasn't getting a ticket for evading police.

So tell me again, lyndz, that cops don't power trip or pull people over or harrass kids for no real reason??

MAYBE Jen's son interrupted a really important game of Solitare that the cop was playing and he got pissed? :)

#40 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

I never denied he didnt get mouthy after he was put in custody. My issue is the "cheesy" tickets, and the way he was treated to be put in custody.

I totally agree with the drunk in public ticket, hell I dont even dispute the night in jail. but if the comments were made that have been claimed, that is totally wrong, and throwing the book at him for stupid tickets like using a toy upon a highway is ridiculous.

Of course, every cop that works for Windsor is straight up! So my son must be totally in the wrong!!! Yep, Windsor Police have never been under investigation for wrong doing by their officers..

MAYBE my son interuppted a game of solitaire!!

LOL..omg D.. we both posted about solitaire lol

#41 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Great minds....

#42 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Your son will have to make the complaints himself because he is an adult in the eyes of the law. There are cases where you can make a 3rd party complaint, but this isn't one of them. If your son believes that he was wronged, then he should complain. I think everyone would agree on this part.

#43 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I agree there are always 2 sides to every story. I think you are being mroe then reasonable & agreeing he deserved to be punished just maybe not to the extent he was. I have a few good friends who are police & I have full respect for them & the job they do but even some of them would admit that some cops go overboard.

#44 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

How did he get a ticket for underage drinking if he is 19?

#45 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

He's ALMOST 19.

Don't worry, I'll let you all know when he's totally legal...wink wink.

#46 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Well, SOME cops, ESPECIALLY downtown Windsor cops, DO power trip. They DO take things further than they need to.

Just last week, Ryan was driving down Ouellette. He literally did NOTHING wrong. He had a guy in his car who looks admittedly sketchy. He's a great guy, this friend of Ryan's, but he looks shady. A cop drove past them, turned around and came up behind Ryan on Ouellette. He threw on his cherries, and Ryan, being a county kid, pulled into the first available parking lot. The cop FREAKED out on Ryan. Like, FREAKED. Yelling, swearing, the whole nine yards. Ryan didn't know that in Windsor, you just pull over right on the road. Where we live, we have shoulders to pull off onto, so Ryan was looking for a safe place to pull over and chose the closest parking lot.

So anyway, this cop freaks out on Ryan then demands his friends ID and whatnot. Never ONCE did he offer a reason as to why he pulled Ryan over. When Ryan asked, this a**hole cop told him to shut the eff up and be happy he wasn't getting a ticket for evading police.

So tell me again, lyndz, that cops don't power trip or pull people over or harrass kids for no real reason??

MAYBE Jen's son interrupted a really important game of Solitare that the cop was playing and he got pissed? :)

Again, if this was me, I would make a complaint.

#47 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

I never denied he didnt get mouthy after he was put in custody. My issue is the "cheesy" tickets, and the way he was treated to be put in custody.

I totally agree with the drunk in public ticket, hell I dont even dispute the night in jail. but if the comments were made that have been claimed, that is totally wrong, and throwing the book at him for stupid tickets like using a toy upon a highway is ridiculous.

Of course, every cop that works for Windsor is straight up! So my son must be totally in the wrong!!! Yep, Windsor Police have never been under investigation for wrong doing by their officers..

I believe they wrote in the Windsor star that the cop care was out of service...and you can`t ever say that you didn`t do something at work that wasn`t work related. Sure some cops can power trip, but to get that many tickets....must have caused something

#48 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Your son will have to make the complaints himself because he is an adult in the eyes of the law. There are cases where you can make a 3rd party complaint, but this isn't one of them. If your son believes that he was wronged, then he should complain. I think everyone would agree on this part.

I believe ( and I could be wrong ) that he does have a form to make a copmlaint. I dont plan on trying to make a third party complaint. I will make sure he gets legal aid to fight the cheesy tickets. And honestly, I would have had a hard time believing that he had been treated with unnecessary attitude except for the fact that the officer I spoke to hadnt been so rude to me. I am not exaggerating when I tell you he spoke to me like I was a criminal and basically made it seem like the stuff I had told him , I was lying about. I really dont want to expand on what the conversation was about, it wasnt about my son though.

#49 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

I believe they wrote in the Windsor star that the cop care was out of service...and you can`t ever say that you didn`t do something at work that wasn`t work related. Sure some cops can power trip, but to get that many tickets....must have caused something

Francis is quoted in the Windsor Star saying that officers are not allowed to use that equiptment for personal use.

#50 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

I believe ( and I could be wrong ) that he does have a form to make a copmlaint. I dont plan on trying to make a third party complaint. I will make sure he gets legal aid to fight the cheesy tickets. And honestly, I would have had a hard time believing that he had been treated with unnecessary attitude except for the fact that the officer I spoke to hadnt been so rude to me. I am not exaggerating when I tell you he spoke to me like I was a criminal and basically made it seem like the stuff I had told him , I was lying about. I really dont want to expand on what the conversation was about, it wasnt about my son though.

was it on the phone this conversation? If so, then it was taped, and you should complain. Seriously.

As for the tickets...he won't need a lawyer, I'd have him go in early and speak to a crown to get the penalties reduced. There should be a number on the ticket.

#51 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

The conversation was on the phone, but I can only give an approximate time.

If I am reading the tickets correctly , he can only go between 11am and 1pm on Mondays, which means he has to wait a week until he is on afternoons. He just started a new job 3 weeks ago and cant take time off.

I think I would like to see the police report and then he will take it from there.

#52 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

The conversation was on the phone, but I can only give an approximate time.

If I am reading the tickets correctly , he can only go between 11am and 1pm on Mondays, which means he has to wait a week until he is on afternoons. He just started a new job 3 weeks ago and cant take time off.

I think I would like to see the police report and then he will take it from there.

Call tommorrow morning (or have him call on his lunch) and speak to someone in freedom of information and request a copy of the report. That's a good idea, reading the report first and taking it from there.

#53 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, I will have him call :)

#54 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

I have no opinion on the situation, as I'm sure you know best because I know you are a good mom. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry this happened and I hope you guys can get it cleared up.

#55 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

i have personally watched cops be WAY more aggressive than necessary with a drunk person who was trying to break in to MY house.
I called them because this waste case [like pissed his pants, was all muddy & was communicating in grumbles wasted] thought he lived in my house, was trying to get in. After he didn't leave for 10 minutes we called them because i was scared he was going to hurt himself stumbling around.
I told them this when i called. Those boys in blue appeared, nearly smashing into my front ground to ceiling window, jumped put of the car, tackled him from where he was leaning on the wall, then picked him up, smashed his entire body into the wall and shoved him in the car.
I've also seen the same type of behavior happen outside of 2012 when they've been called because of a one on one chick fight.
I get that they are there to keep people safe, but god damn, they really don't need to beat the piss out of drunk people who clearly aren't resisting them in the name of restraining them.

That by-law is ridiculous. Don't drink & drive, but you can't walk, be in public while intoxicated, use a toy or wait outside for a cab or a ride without the risk of being ticketed.
So, i guess we should all pitch a f***ing tent outside of the bar & sleep it of...but i guess you could be ticketed for that too.
/rolls eyes.

#56 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

"use toy on highway" is a Ontario Highway Traffic Act offense and not a bylaw offense. Plated vehicles and bicycles can use the road, but skateboards, skis, lawnmowers etc... are prohibited for obvious safety reasons. The jaywalking thing I fully agree with. It is dangerous to motorists when people cross willy nilly in front of them - we have crosswalks for a reason. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but laws are set in place for a reason. Further more if there is a mistake on the ticket it can be amended in court - not everything has to be filled out, just the info pertaining to the charge.

#57 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

He's ALMOST 19.

Don't worry, I'll let you all know when he's totally legal...wink wink.

OMG LMAO!!!

#58 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

"use toy on highway" is a Ontario Highway Traffic Act offense and not a bylaw offense. Plated vehicles and bicycles can use the road, but skateboards, skis, lawnmowers etc... are prohibited for obvious safety reasons. The jaywalking thing I fully agree with. It is dangerous to motorists when people cross willy nilly in front of them - we have crosswalks for a reason. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but laws are set in place for a reason. Further more if there is a mistake on the ticket it can be amended in court - not everything has to be filled out, just the info pertaining to the charge.

On the ticket it clearly states that it is contrary to City of Windsor Bylaw section 9148 section 21.. So not sure if its a mistake on the ticket or not.

#59 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

not a fun "mom" moment Jen...sorry you are going through all of this. Dam kids and what they put their parents through...

#60 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Can you take pictures of the area to prove some tickets are bogus ? I would take them to court and get them reduced. These will be on his record since he is 18.

Doing dumb shit don't make you a bad person like some make it sound. We all have done stupid things.

So much for think your doing something good instead of DUI and then get this in the end. Shows you can never win.

Hopefully you can get some or all reduced or thrown out.

#61 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'm getting the feeling that Lyndz is either married to a cop, related to one closely or is one. lol

Jen- Sorry this happened, and no doubt your son did things to provoke, but they are the police. They have no excuse for saying things they have said, and I am sure they probably though he was being a bastard and did everything they could to flex their muscle.

I wouldn't give up in this situation, no way.

Edited by ~Jill~, 21 March 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#62 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Jen K posted March 20 @ 06:57 AM

On the ticket it clearly states that it is contrary to City of Windsor Bylaw section 9148 section 21.. So not sure if its a mistake on the ticket or not.

I know Windsor has bylaws regarding skateboards, but I'm not overly familiar with them. The charge you named is a Highway Traffic Act offense though and is uncommonly used so those kids must have been doing something to draw attention to themselves. As for the ticket, its not bogus, that usually happens in the States because they have quotas which Windsor does not have. The charges you mentioned above are usually the result of someone who is being mouthy and pushing the officer (hate to say it). Your best bet is to go to court, speak to the crown and try to have the charges reduced.

#63 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Yes it is illegal to use a "toy" on a "highway". In the law "highway" refers to any road traveled on by cars. So yes it is illegal to ride a skateboard on the road. It is also illegal to play basketball and hockey in the road. I have heard of tickets given for those things too. It may not be "fair" to some but, think of the drivers on those roads. The spirit of the law.

I do think it seems like the police were on a power trip. Very common in Windsor from what I hear. BUT, if he was breaking the law he should be held responsible for that!

They may seem like "minor" laws and a waste of "taxpayer money" to some. If they gave them the ticket at a time no other, "bigger" crime should have been looked after fine with me! They were doing their job. Personal responsibility is (again) what this is about! I also would not be trying to bail my kid out of this one either. HE got the ticket, HE can fight it or pay up. I feel I have given my 19yr old the tools he needs to fight his own, adult, battles. I feel confident in his abilities to do so also.

IMHO...IF he was simply ridding his skateboard on the road, in a safe manner, I doubt they would have looked twice. He was *likely* being a goof like many 19yr old are. He was likely mouthy to the cops right of the bat. They likely were setting an example. Power trip or not, they were within their rights and doing their job.

#64 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm getting the feeling that Lyndz is either married to a cop, related to one closely or is one. lol

That's what I thought too. LOL

#65 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

That's what I thought too. LOL

wow, some pretty smart cookies around here! LOL nothing gets by you guys!

Edited by Sam, 21 March 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#66 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

I agree with Vals and Trea. To get that many tickets, some goofy shit must have been going on. I also don't know if I can trust these "witness" claims of the cops threatening to kick their asses. Who were these witnesses? The other kids getting in trouble?

Like it or not, your son most likely deserved what he got. Also, why would riding a skateboard on a road be any safer than driving? It would be less dangerous to others in terms of damage that can be caused, but it still wouldn't be safe. In fact, it would probably be more dangerous to the person riding one.

Doing stupid things usually warrants the punishments handed out. 4 tickets are hard to excuse.

#67 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

i have personally watched cops be WAY more aggressive than necessary with a drunk person who was trying to break in to MY house.
I called them because this waste case [like pissed his pants, was all muddy & was communicating in grumbles wasted] thought he lived in my house, was trying to get in. After he didn't leave for 10 minutes we called them because i was scared he was going to hurt himself stumbling around.
I told them this when i called. Those boys in blue appeared, nearly smashing into my front ground to ceiling window, jumped put of the car, tackled him from where he was leaning on the wall, then picked him up, smashed his entire body into the wall and shoved him in the car.
I've also seen the same type of behavior happen outside of 2012 when they've been called because of a one on one chick fight.
I get that they are there to keep people safe, but god damn, they really don't need to beat the piss out of drunk people who clearly aren't resisting them in the name of restraining them.

That by-law is ridiculous. Don't drink & drive, but you can't walk, be in public while intoxicated, use a toy or wait outside for a cab or a ride without the risk of being ticketed.
So, i guess we should all pitch a f***ing tent outside of the bar & sleep it of...but i guess you could be ticketed for that too.
/rolls eyes.

but think of how many foolish drunks police officers have to deal with on a daily basis, it gets old really fast. and as much as police officers may or may not "power trip" i know a lot of people "power trip" around police officers when they are being questioned.
i don't think we should be on here bashing police officers (not that you are JENK) because like with the whole CUPE thread, ther may be police officers who are memebers on here and the ones i know take their job very seriously and do their best to keep us safe, so to bash them i think is very hurtfull to them.
yes, i do have police officers in the family..

#68 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sorry Jenn, hope that you get things cleared up, sounds like he may have learned his lesson.... the threatening by an officer, so hard to prove .. I am sure.... the boys word against theirs..but worth trying to see more into it...

I thought you said your son was 19?.... that isn't underage drinking in Canada.. or did it change without me knowing about it..? sorry that confused me... I went back and thought I read it again...

this really makes me wonder about the police, as Thursday was St. Patty's day... on my friends street, they had furniture in the streets..and keg parties set up, when the non emergency police were called, they said that they were trying to get to those parties....

I would think if they could lay charges for being intoxicated in public, they would have had a field day there.....

Hope it works out.... but hopefully he did learn a good lesson..... and not to be the devil here, but maybe making him pay the fine,will keep him from doing anything of the sort again..... and learning a good good lesson.... even if not in agreement?....

#69 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

/rolls eyes.

but think of how many foolish drunks police officers have to deal with on a daily basis, it gets old really fast. and as much as police officers may or may not "power trip" i know a lot of people "power trip" around police officers when they are being questioned.
i don't think we should be on here bashing police officers (not that you are JENK) because like with the whole CUPE thread, ther may be police officers who are memebers on here and the ones i know take their job very seriously and do their best to keep us safe, so to bash them i think is very hurtfull to them.
yes, i do have police officers in the family..

I think the problem is that when you encounter one "bad" apple you lump them all together (not just with police officers but all professions and also religions...look at Vals debate last week about Christians!) I know that last year a situation happened to me with an officer where it was a case of mistaken identity and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. However the officer made a HUGE mistake and I did not even receive an apology (the worst part was that my children witnessed this along with some friends and their kids). I have had some strong dislike towards police officers due to this but have come to realize recently that they are not all bad! It sucks but as a general public we sometimes have a hard time realizing that just because we have dealt with one bad cop doesn't mean they are all like that!

#70 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Cops know that half that stuff will probably get thrown out if he chooses to fight it..that is probably one of the reasons they gave it to him...to make him own up to what he was doing, when he was sober and in his right mind, get him thinking about what he does and the consequences. Embarss him a little infront of other people, parents and the court explaining why he got a ticket for something most cops dont ticket for .....teach him now while he is young and only doing minor things before he decides one day it is ok to get in the car and drive.

If he was riding a bike he would have gotten a DUI. Yes he was thinking...leave the car behind so he is not drinking and driving...but he is under age to begin with.

The cops may have been on a power trip, but honestly him or his friends must have been doing something to grab the cops attention. And most drunk kids dont just sit by idlely and not say a thing when the cops are questioning you.

I have no problems with him getting those tickets...and he should be fighting his own battles now....they cannot tell you anything about what happened b/c he is an adult now and the confidentiality laws..... he can give them permission to tell you, but if you think it is wasting tax payers money to give the tickets and go to court...then dont...own up to it and pay it....lesson learned.....and