86 replies to this topic

#71 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

If he fights them maybe he could get some thrown out or lessened. I belie he can request the officer to be there and if they dont show then he wont have to pay. At least that is how it works for traffic court.

As far as the officer threatening to essentially beat him up, that is just wrong. Doesn't matter if he was mouthy or not.

#72 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'm getting the feeling that Lyndz is either married to a cop, related to one closely or is one. lol

That's what I thought too. LOL

wow, some pretty smart cookies around here! LOL nothing gets by you guys!

Are you insulting my intelligence? :tongue

I'd love to know what you really wrote before you edited it.

#73 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

I'm getting the feeling that Lyndz is either married to a cop, related to one closely or is one. lol

That's what I thought too. LOL

wow, some pretty smart cookies around here! LOL nothing gets by you guys!

Are you insulting my intelligence? :tongue

I'd love to know what you really wrote before you edited it.

I only added the "nothing gets by you guys". I just felt my original statement wasn't suffice! LOL

#74 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Oh, well that's less interesting. hehe

#75 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

Oh, well that's less interesting. hehe

LOL, I'm kinda boring. Even typing that at all was taking a risk for me!!!

#76 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

i have personally watched cops be WAY more aggressive than necessary with a drunk person who was trying to break in to MY house.
I called them because this waste case [like pissed his pants, was all muddy & was communicating in grumbles wasted] thought he lived in my house, was trying to get in. After he didn't leave for 10 minutes we called them because i was scared he was going to hurt himself stumbling around.
I told them this when i called. Those boys in blue appeared, nearly smashing into my front ground to ceiling window, jumped put of the car, tackled him from where he was leaning on the wall, then picked him up, smashed his entire body into the wall and shoved him in the car.
I've also seen the same type of behavior happen outside of 2012 when they've been called because of a one on one chick fight.
I get that they are there to keep people safe, but god damn, they really don't need to beat the piss out of drunk people who clearly aren't resisting them in the name of restraining them.

That by-law is ridiculous. Don't drink & drive, but you can't walk, be in public while intoxicated, use a toy or wait outside for a cab or a ride without the risk of being ticketed.
So, i guess we should all pitch a f***ing tent outside of the bar & sleep it of...but i guess you could be ticketed for that too.
/rolls eyes.

but think of how many foolish drunks police officers have to deal with on a daily basis, it gets old really fast. and as much as police officers may or may not "power trip" i know a lot of people "power trip" around police officers when they are being questioned.
i don't think we should be on here bashing police officers (not that you are JENK) because like with the whole CUPE thread, ther may be police officers who are memebers on here and the ones i know take their job very seriously and do their best to keep us safe, so to bash them i think is very hurtfull to them.
yes, i do have police officers in the family..

I think the problem is that when you encounter one "bad" apple you lump them all together (not just with police officers but all professions and also religions...look at Vals debate last week about Christians!) I know that last year a situation happened to me with an officer where it was a case of mistaken identity and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. However the officer made a HUGE mistake and I did not even receive an apology (the worst part was that my children witnessed this along with some friends and their kids). I have had some strong dislike towards police officers due to this but have come to realize recently that they are not all bad! It sucks but as a general public we sometimes have a hard time realizing that just because we have dealt with one bad cop doesn't mean they are all like that!

oh i agree with you completely. i have a terrible experience with a police officer when i was 17 and had a car accident. but i also have had many good experiences aslo.

#77 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

The problem is that no one ever wants to imagine their child doing any wrong so they stick it to the cop who wrote the ticket. Its the same story over and over and over again. Are all cops ****s??? No, but some are, which is why when you are being stopped you check your attitude and try to behave in the most civilized way possible. Teens act up, they get in trouble and they do stupid things and 9/10 they are going to get mouthy when questioned by authority figures. The number of tickets he got suggests that he ran his mouth off plain and simple. I just can't believe so many people on here are automatically assuming the police officer was in the wrong and going out of their way to put them down. Did anyone think for a moment that some people on here could be related to a police officer or even one themselves??? Not all cops are bad and Windsor isn't corrupt like everyone assumes. Just like any profession there are good and bad employees, only difference being that bad cops don't just lose their job when they screw up. They lose their pension, public respect and in most cases get slapped with some pretty hefty charges.

#78 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

The problem is that no one ever wants to imagine their child doing any wrong so they stick it to the cop who wrote the ticket. Its the same story over and over and over again. Are all cops ****s??? No, but some are, which is why when you are being stopped you check your attitude and try to behave in the most civilized way possible. Teens act up, they get in trouble and they do stupid things and 9/10 they are going to get mouthy when questioned by authority figures. The number of tickets he got suggests that he ran his mouth off plain and simple. I just can't believe so many people on here are automatically assuming the police officer was in the wrong and going out of their way to put them down. Did anyone think for a moment that some people on here could be related to a police officer or even one themselves??? Not all cops are bad and Windsor isn't corrupt like everyone assumes. Just like any profession there are good and bad employees, only difference being that bad cops don't just lose their job when they screw up. They lose their pension, public respect and in most cases get slapped with some pretty hefty charges.

Well stated....and also I wonder if there was a dispatched call/complaint that intiated the contact with Jen K son.

#79 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

First off, I never once said my kid did no wrong. I stated right in the OP that he was caught for being drunk and deserved the ticket.
Secondly, there were no calls dispatched.
I also said he was mouthy.

I never said the entire force is corrupt and like every profession, there are good apples and bad apples. I have utomost respect for most police officers, while I dont have relatives on the force, I know a couple of people and they are good people.
I did speak to someone that was on duty that night, and even they think the extra tickets are silly and advised me on how to approach it.

I am also not naive enough to believe some police officers dont use more force than deemed necessary.

I also never intended this to be a bashing police officer thread , I simply stated I thought the using a toy upon a highway ticket was ridiculous, I never said much until my son was called a mouthy little a-hole. And that imo opened up the discussion further.

I find police officers to be alot like border guards, there are alot of really nice professional ones, and others have attitude.

#80 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

i agree the thread turned into either bashing jen's son or bashing the officer. Both of which were completely uncalled for.

#81 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

I never said much until my son was called a mouthy little a-hole. And that imo opened up the discussion further.

I never called him that, I asked if it was possible that he was being one. It was offensive to you and I apologize, that was not my intent. My first thought when I read your post was that the boy must have been that way to the police for them to give him a fistful of tickets as that is totally not the norm. I then went on and tried to give advice that was supportive in manner, even after the bashing started. If its not obvious, I am also closely related to a police officer, but still was able to keep an open mind and agree that if and when a police officer does not remain professional, a complaint almost most certainly should be made. Next time I'll likely keep my 2 cents to myself.

#82 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

I never said much until my son was called a mouthy little a-hole. And that imo opened up the discussion further.

I never called him that, I asked if it was possible that he was being one. It was offensive to you and I apologize, that was not my intent. My first thought when I read your post was that the boy must have been that way to the police for them to give him a fistful of tickets as that is totally not the norm. I then went on and tried to give advice that was supportive in manner, even after the bashing started. If its not obvious, I am also closely related to a police officer, but still was able to keep an open mind and agree that if and when a police officer does not remain professional, a complaint almost most certainly should be made. Next time I'll likely keep my 2 cents to myself.

I know that now, but at the time it was offensive and you did post to clarify later. I also found that you were clearly trying to give advice in a supportive manner.

#83 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Personally I don't think anyone on here thinks either party is 100% to blame. I think what Jenn's son did was wrong & clearly so did she. I also think the office went overboard but that is jmho. I don't think handing out 4 tickets just becuase you can is necessarily going to teach anyone a lesson. If in fact he did threaten her son I don't condone that in any circumstances where violence was not already occuring. So if in fact that was stated then I think there are some serious issues.

I ahve some close friends who are police officers & I think there are many Windsor police who truly do have the best interests of the people. I have also experienced times when they are not in the best interest of the people.

A few summers ago my kids were playing in a fountian downtown & there were other kids playing in it as well. In fact the news was being filmed there for the weather & they were filming all the kids playing in fountain. There were steps leading into the fountain & all the kids were playing there. Apparently on the one side of the fountian there are signs saying you can't be in it but not on the other THREE sides. So this cop came up on his bike & started SCREAMING at all the kids. My husband was already calling my kids over to us before he came up as we had no plans on staying there. (they ran into it as we were walking by) My kids were all little at the time 3, 4 & 8. My husband said to him, "they are just little we are geetting them out we did not know they could not play in it since there are other kids in there & you don't need to yell at them like that." He came over all power tripping made my hubby give him his ID & ran him through the system then did the same with me. ALL THREE of my kids stood there crying thinking he was going to arrest them. He said nothing to anyone else just was mad at my hubby becuase he asked him not to yell at my kids like that since we were unaware & we were leaving anyway. He never said a word to anyone else & the whole time he was scanning us there were kids playing in there. This is the kind of crap that gives cops bad reps & the kind of thing that I feel sometimes brings people down on them. I personally judge each office for myself when I ahve to encounter them. I will treat them with respect until they give me a reason not to. I don't however beleive they are all good & have the best interests of the people I ahve seen otherwise & even my friends who are police would probably say that some of them do go overboard & power trip. Do I beleive that is the MAJORITY of police?? NOPE I don't but I do believe that those who are like this give others a bad rap. It is unfortunate. I can also tell you I reported the incedint & NEVER even got a call about it which is why I will never ever make a complaint again without going to the top.Further to that... I do think each office should be given a fair shake all on their own. When you don't know someone personally sometimes it is hard to judge their behaviour.

Just wanted to add that becuase of this incident with that officer, my son who is now 7 still REFUSES to speak to a police officer. He is terrified of the very people that should be there to serve & protect him. That hsould give you an idea of how overboard he was.

Edited by scrappy survivor, 21 March 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#84 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Just wanted to add that becuase of this incident with that officer, my son who is now 7 still REFUSES to speak to a police officer. He is terrified of the very people that should be there to serve & protect him. That hsould give you an idea of how overboard he was.

Just wanted to add that most young children are afraid of police who have never even dealt with an officer before. sometimes its because parents make police out to be the boogy man. ei "if you don't put your seatbelt on, the police will get you", etc. And the majority of people who don't like police pass their negative opinion onto their children who in turn grow up to not like police either.

I'd be disappointed if I made a complaint and didn't even get a phone call to acknowledge it. And are you sure it wasn't auxillary police that you dealt with? They are normally the police who patrol the parks.

I also hope this doesn't turn into a post where everyone posts a bad experience they have had with a cop - getting a ticket when they were speeding, arresting a drunk trying to break in their house, yelling to get children out of a public fountain etc.

#85 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

YES I am sure it was not. It was Windsor Police. No I did not even get a call back & I DO NOT make police out to be bad. One of my good friends is an officer & he would not even go near her when she put the uniform on until this occasion he was fine with it. Also I did not expect others to post bad experiences & I also hope they don't I only posted mine to show an over the top experience. Generally I don't have an issue with them & this is the ONLY one I have ever had with them. As I said I have a close friend who is an office.

#86 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like he got nailed with a TOAD charge.

"Teenager Out After Dark"

#87 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I would only like to add that the riding in the road part does not seem so ridiculous when you are a driver! Those on a skateboard are no where near as visible as a car or bike. I watched another car almost hit one cause he just crossed an intersection without stopping and he couldn't be seen by the other driver. I felt so bad for that other driver as it HAD to scare her half to death. And even thought it was downtown with more street lights you are not expecting a skateboard on the road ever and it isn't like you ca KNOW where they were going to go and not further into the street in front of you. Sorry he is having to deal with all of this but thinking he most definitely won't do anything like this again. Hope he has good luck getting the other ticket reduced cause the amount really added up and the one offense was really silly!