33 replies to this topic

#1 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

OK if you have a Facebook fan page for a business of any kind that you've set up, does it bother you if any of your friends don't 'like' it? I have no idea why it bothers me so much but it really does. I try my best to be supportive of friends and family's pages by joining theirs. I know how much business just having those members gets you, so every one counts. It's probably silly, but I do check how many of my friends list are on there and it def doesn't match up in numbers (off by about 40 people). It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not like it's any trouble to join right? You can even ignore the newsfeed if it's the updates that bother you. Am I being silly about this? It doesn't consume me or anything, but it def irks me.

*end rant* lol.

#2 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I join very few fan pages, in fact I think i may have only 2 or 3. I don't like joining because I feel the more I join the more info about me is out in the www. I don't want my "likes" to be used by anyone or any company to target me.

Also what is the benefit to the maker of the fan page? Why does it matter how many people "like" it? Just a question that I don't understand.

#3 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Yes, it bothers me A LOT. lol Like A LOT. I periodically check the "suggest to friends" thing and see which of my friends aren't highlighted. So I send it to them repeatedly! lol

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

I'm not friends with either of you on facebook, but I am a fan of both of your pages.. lol If that counts for anything!

If I had the money I'd be all over both of your services! You are both so talented.

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have recently set up a page...

anyone please feel free to join it lol

btw, I am a fan of both of yours!!

Yes it would bother me if my good friends werent on it, but casual friends not so much.

#6 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

Yes it would bother me if my good friends werent on it, but casual friends not so much.

but please explain what the benefit is? i just don't get it..seriously what does a page do for you and what does people liking it do?

#7 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

It had bothered me a lot when I had it up for a year but now I find that some are on my group (that I rarely use) and some are on my fanpage. My close friends that are on facebook, know what I do. I had at first send them suggest to friends, but at the same time I don't want to annoy them constantly.

#8 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

but please explain what the benefit is? i just don't get it..seriously what does a page do for you and what does people liking it do?

It's word of mouth, which is one of the most powerful marketing tools.

If someone comments on a picture on my page, that picture shows up in their friends feeds. Which means MORE people see my stuff and potentially hire me.

#9 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

I join very few fan pages, in fact I think i may have only 2 or 3. I don't like joining because I feel the more I join the more info about me is out in the www. I don't want my "likes" to be used by anyone or any company to target me.

Also what is the benefit to the maker of the fan page? Why does it matter how many people "like" it? Just a question that I don't understand.

I totally agree and makes it too easy for ppl to creep too. I only have a few pages too.

#10 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

FREE advertising, it shows up in your friends feed that you have liked that page and others out of curiosity see what you liked and click on and hopefully join and keeps going.

- Word of mouth
- |f someone is looking for something in-particular (photographer, cakes)You can direct them to the fanpage.

#11 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

I am an admin on the HM4HB SW Ontario page. The benefit to people "liking" any given page is that they will get updates (for ours, this is the very existence of milksharing), new info, upcoming events, etc, etc. It's a great virtual way to get "word of mouth" out there about your organization/business.

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

I join fan pages of people I know to show support and help them get more recognition. I can totally see how it could be offensive to have friends and family ignore that. I mean its really no biggy to "like" something right :)

#13 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I totally agree and makes it too easy for ppl to creep too. I only have a few pages too.

People can only creep if your settings aren't set high. Liking a group doesn't affect your personal settings.

#14 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

OK if you have a Facebook fan page for a business of any kind that you've set up, does it bother you if any of your friends don't 'like' it? I have no idea why it bothers me so much but it really does. I try my best to be supportive of friends and family's pages by joining theirs. I know how much business just having those members gets you, so every one counts. It's probably silly, but I do check how many of my friends list are on there and it def doesn't match up in numbers (off by about 40 people). It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not like it's any trouble to join right? You can even ignore the newsfeed if it's the updates that bother you. Am I being silly about this? It doesn't consume me or anything, but it def irks me.

*end rant* lol.

I just checked out your page and liked it. Your cakes are amazing! Makes me start thinking ahead to my baby's first birthday. (That, I do not want to rush!)

Yes, it bothers me A LOT. lol Like A LOT. I periodically check the "suggest to friends" thing and see which of my friends aren't highlighted. So I send it to them repeatedly! lol

I'm not sure which page is yours, but I'd check it out too.

I do 'like' a lot of pages. Not stupid stuff like all the teenagers who like pages about liking things (or other equally ridiculous things), but I do like a lot of businesses. I think it keeps you in touch with what's going on and can get you some great deals. It at least keeps you in the know. My privacy is set very high, so I doubt people can get much of my info just because I liked their page.

#15 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

I am a fan of both your pages :)
If my friend has a fan page I will like it even if it is not something that interests me. I might have a friend who would be interested.
Yeah it does hurt when your friends dont like your page, you just want a little support

#16 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

AS I get more established I will be posting listings, mortgage info and market info. Its set up for my business and I want to keep my personal stuff and business stuff separate.

That way anyone that is looking to buy or sell, or anyone that has a friend or relative in the market can post questions, see listings etc, and what makes it separate from a www.webpage is that it can be interactive.

This way I wont spam my regular account and can still promote my business.

#17 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

People can only creep if your settings aren't set high. Liking a group doesn't affect your personal settings.

If I post on these pages ppl not on my friends list can see what I post and creep me that way b/c really if that wasn't the case then why would there be fan pages ??

#18 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

If I post on these pages ppl not on my friends list can see what I post and creep me that way b/c really if that wasn't the case then why would there be fan pages ??

But if your privacy settings are set high no one could see anything!!

I love my facebook fan page...it has brought some fantastic new clients that I would otherwise have never met and it is in the end free advertising :biggrin

#19 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Do you mean they can creep what you post on the fan page? Yes, they can see what you post there unless they are blocked by you. On your own page, they can't see anything past what your privacy settings are.

#20 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Do you mean they can creep what you post on the fan page? Yes, they can see what you post there unless they are blocked by you. On your own page, they can't see anything past what your privacy settings are.

Right and that i don't like.

#21 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

i only like a few pages
i find many people like way too many things LOL

#22 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

But you can still like a fan page and not have to write anything on their walls...a simple "like" for a fan page owner is great for our egos ;)

#23 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

But you can still like a fan page and not have to write anything on their walls...a simple "like" for a fan page owner is great for our egos ;)

Lol I do have the a couple like that since they are pages I am close to and instead of posting I just send messages too.

I think many are ok but its the pages that ppl have for everything and anything. Example all the kids shows have fan pages, makes me wonder how many pedophiles are on those pages too making random post to all the kids ? Or of radio/TV stations all the TV shows, many retail products ect.. KWIM ?? I don't mind so much per say the local small business its the huge companies that kinda ends up like spam in a way

#24 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

yeah it kinda does. What really bothers me is people on my friends list who don't like my page and then continually ask me questions about the products. If you liked the page you'd already know the answers lol

#25 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

It doesn't bother me but I do like it when they join since it helps spread the word :)

#26 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

ok I get it..

so i think I got it covered now. I went on to the personal fan pages of my fb friends (that I know about) and clicked like

#27 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

I'm not friends with either of you on facebook, but I am a fan of both of your pages.. lol If that counts for anything!

If I had the money I'd be all over both of your services! You are both so talented.

Much appreciated!! <3

Link the page and I'll join for sure!! (unless I'm already on it, but if so it'll give others a chance to join)

I just checked out your page and liked it. Your cakes are amazing! Makes me start thinking ahead to my baby's first birthday. (That, I do not want to rush!)

Thanks! :D
Dana's is Dana Marchand Photogrpahy (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Dana-Marchand-Photography/98051679083). She's seriously fantastic.

I am a fan of both your pages :)
If my friend has a fan page I will like it even if it is not something that interests me. I might have a friend who would be interested.
Yeah it does hurt when your friends dont like your page, you just want a little support

Aww thanks! <3

I hope no one took that as an attempt to get more fans. I was just going through my friends list on my page and realized there were so many missing. Made me want to go through and delete the people on my personal account who weren't fans, then I thought I'd post on here and maybe get some insight as to why they won't join and if anyone else had the same problem (from either end of the issue).

Edited by unicycle_mike, 22 March 2011 - 06:23 AM.

#28 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

I dont think I was ever bothered by it... but I definitely noticed... I would rather have people that dont know me adding to it as the people that I do know already know what I do. My friends know to contact me. We have a page for my office as well... that one we definitely need to market better...we put great travel deals up on that page and its a good way to show deals that come out.

Ive been a fan for a long time of BCC. I love your work... I talk it up to everyone looking for a cake... and its sooooooo tasty too!!! Great... now Im craving cupcakes again... When do you open the shop?

#29 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

Yes, I agree, Border City Cakes is simply amazing!! Emily is truly talented! I'm so geeked to see the shop!!!

#30 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

man now I really want some red velvet cupakes!

#31 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

Ive been a fan for a long time of BCC. I love your work... I talk it up to everyone looking for a cake... and its sooooooo tasty too!!! Great... now Im craving cupcakes again... When do you open the shop?

LOL!! We open May/June, depending on when the renovations are done. You're gonna be happy to hear that we have a cupcake bar being put in. You can order any flavour cupcake and have it frosted with any flavour icing on the spot. Plus we're gonna have lots of cupcakes at the grand opening. ;)

#32 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

LOL!! We open May/June, depending on when the renovations are done. You're gonna be happy to hear that we have a cupcake bar being put in. You can order any flavour cupcake and have it frosted with any flavour icing on the spot. Plus we're gonna have lots of cupcakes at the grand opening. ;)

omg cupcake bar! You are so evil! I am supposed to be dieting

#33 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

omg cupcake bar! You are so evil! I am supposed to be dieting

We're going to have low fat cupcakes too... No promises on the frosting though, lol. ;)

#34 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

oops double post

Edited by Kris, 22 March 2011 - 07:20 AM.