GAWWWWWWD

#37 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

I know I looked into taking the kids go karting at the track by the airport. It was something like $7 for 5 minutes. Crazy!

Clearly that is not 6$ a minute though!! That's less than 2$ a minute. I haven't been go karting in the last few years, but I use to more. We went to one in the county, though.

ETA: Besides, that was ONE idea. If that one doesn't work, there are still other things.

Maybe you should start a show like the Nanny but gear it to parents with teenagers because clearly we need your help. Speaking as the mother of a 17 year old who sits in her room half the time because she has nothing to do, I see things differently. She's been applying all over the place for a job, but has yet to get one. She will likely do volunteer work again this summer because that's all she can get. Without money, she can't do things like dances (which she hates anyway and really... where are there dances for older teens?). Movies are expensive, go karting is expensive (even though it's not $6 per minute). Laser tag, paint ball, any of those cost money too. Hanging out in the streets isn't acceptable. Hanging out at the mall isn't acceptable. If they hang out at a park, they're just "looking to cause trouble".

We live in the county. As a teenager myself who lived in the country, we didnt' have a whole lot to do either. Mostly in the summer we'd hang at a friend's house and be bored, or we'd hang at the beach and be bored (find a nice beach around here now) or we'd be getting into bars and drinking under-aged (ok... that's when we WEREN'T bored!). Quite frankly, when I think of the things teenagers do to relieve boredom (not to mention, to be accepted by their peers), I'm glad my daughter stays in her room. lol

But aside from having little to do, teenagers have another problem. They don't want to do anything. Really... if you open up a dance hall for them, most of them won't go. It's not cool. It's an annoying part of having teenagers. They can be lazy. They can be self-conscious. They can be anxious. There are so many things going on in a teenager's body, that it's not just the environment they live in that causes concern. The good news is, it doesn't last forever.

Oh and even $1 per minute for go karting is stupid-expensive. Taking my 3 kids for 5 minutes of go karting would be $15 plus tax.

#38 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

There is tons of stuff available, I just choose not to do most of it because of laziness. In the winter I hate being out in the cold. In the summer I'm more inclined to do stuff, but I'm usually rationing gas and don't care to drive far unless its something I really want to do. Plus, often I have no interest in what the subject centers around. I'm ok with that though, and don't expect people to change things for me.

If nothing interests you, and it upsets you there are no activities for you or your family start one! There is no rule saying you can't start an event. Then you can gear it towards your target group. Be part of the solution instead of a problem. You can't not do anything yourself and complain that life sucks. If other people can find ways to enjoy the area you could too with some effort. Make the change you want to see.

Hobbies are good things to have too. People seem to forget the value of entertaining ones self. It is disturbing to think society should exist to entertain the bored people. Kids with hobbies are more inclined to stay out of trouble too.

#39 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

After reading this whole thread, no body has even mentioned teenagers playing sports!! All that I know growing up in the county thats all we did is play sports, during the day and at night. Even if it was road Hockey, basketbal or organzied sports at night. My parents were from the City, but moved to the county so we wouldn't be able to hang out at the malls and ride the bus to where ever in the city. If I was not playing sports I was working at a local banquet halls serving weddings. Playing sports will not only keep your children healthy but keep them out of trouble.

#40 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

After reading this whole thread, no body has even mentioned teenagers playing sports!! All that I know growing up in the county thats all we did is play sports, during the day and at night. Even if it was road Hockey, basketbal or organzied sports at night. My parents were from the City, but moved to the county so we wouldn't be able to hang out at the malls and ride the bus to where ever in the city. If I was not playing sports I was working at a local banquet halls serving weddings. Playing sports will not only keep your children healthy but keep them out of trouble.

excellent point Lyndz. My DD does play soccer 2 days a week all spring/summer long. She loves it. She also is quite content in her life with just hanging out with friends and not doing much else, because that is what she is accustomed too. I complain more then her that there is nothing to do. She has just recently begun looking for a job too so once she gets one, I'm sure I will see less of her hanging around the computer all day.

#41 Lori5

Lori5

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

He was told by some people that he has to be 16 to work. In regards to sports out in the county the prices for soccer,baseball etc are so expensive and now that we have the new complex it's even more expensive. Like i said the old arena in Aburg they should open it up to be a roller skating rink for the kids to have something to do.

#42 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

We need boblo back! That's what we need for Windsor :)

hear hear!!!!! I REALLY REALLY miss it :(

#43 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

He was told by some people that he has to be 16 to work.

Depending on the specific places he applied and what industry they fall under that could be wrongful discrimination, and if it is he should go to the labour board.

More on this topic: www.worksmartontario.gov.on.ca, look under "Minimum age"

#44 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

He was told by some people that he has to be 16 to work. In regards to sports out in the county the prices for soccer,baseball etc are so expensive and now that we have the new complex it's even more expensive. Like i said the old arena in Aburg they should open it up to be a roller skating rink for the kids to have something to do.

It's definately 14.. I was working at 14 :) Try places like Tim Hortons, Mc Donalds etc. They may not be the most glamourous but they are always hiring and will give him some experience for when he's ready for a better job

#45 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

:dead horse

GAWWWWWWD

Same to you.

#46 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

I know I looked into taking the kids go karting at the track by the airport. It was something like $7 for 5 minutes. Crazy!

Clearly that is not 6$ a minute though!! That's less than 2$ a minute. I haven't been go karting in the last few years, but I use to more. We went to one in the county, though.

ETA: Besides, that was ONE idea. If that one doesn't work, there are still other things.

Maybe you should start a show like the Nanny but gear it to parents with teenagers because clearly we need your help. Speaking as the mother of a 17 year old who sits in her room half the time because she has nothing to do, I see things differently. She's been applying all over the place for a job, but has yet to get one. She will likely do volunteer work again this summer because that's all she can get. Without money, she can't do things like dances (which she hates anyway and really... where are there dances for older teens?). Movies are expensive, go karting is expensive (even though it's not $6 per minute). Laser tag, paint ball, any of those cost money too. Hanging out in the streets isn't acceptable. Hanging out at the mall isn't acceptable. If they hang out at a park, they're just "looking to cause trouble".

We live in the county. As a teenager myself who lived in the country, we didnt' have a whole lot to do either. Mostly in the summer we'd hang at a friend's house and be bored, or we'd hang at the beach and be bored (find a nice beach around here now) or we'd be getting into bars and drinking under-aged (ok... that's when we WEREN'T bored!). Quite frankly, when I think of the things teenagers do to relieve boredom (not to mention, to be accepted by their peers), I'm glad my daughter stays in her room. lol

But aside from having little to do, teenagers have another problem. They don't want to do anything. Really... if you open up a dance hall for them, most of them won't go. It's not cool. It's an annoying part of having teenagers. They can be lazy. They can be self-conscious. They can be anxious. There are so many things going on in a teenager's body, that it's not just the environment they live in that causes concern. The good news is, it doesn't last forever.

Oh and even $1 per minute for go karting is stupid-expensive. Taking my 3 kids for 5 minutes of go karting would be $15 plus tax.

Clearly you do need me, and yeah, maybe I WILL start a nanny show, that's a flipping FANTASTIC idea!! :biggrin

You live in the county, I never said a THING about living in the county. I've never lived there, I have no idea what there is to do there. Factor in travel costs to get into the city, yeah I can get how it's too expensive.

#47 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

It's definately 14.. I was working at 14 :) Try places like Tim Hortons, Mc Donalds etc. They may not be the most glamourous but they are always hiring and will give him some experience for when he's ready for a better job

You have to be 15 for those places, my sister just started applying.

#48 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

You have to be 15 for those places, my sister just started applying.

The law for fast food is still 14. Maybe they don't want to hire younger than 15, but that is discrimination, and they can be reported.

#49 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

:dead horse

GAWWWWWWD

Same to you.

touche!!!

#50 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

I live in the opposite end of the county-Lakeshore, and sports are expensive here too. We also were told 16 was the min. age to work at the stores, and 17 at blockbuster and 18 at the restaurants that serve liquor. Its extremely hard to get a job, my daughter has put out over 100 resumes and finally had her first interview on friday!!!
Its not what you know when your 16, its who you know to get your first job. Its hard because they are competing with adults for min. wage fast food restaurant jobs.

#51 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Sam, you've been matching me comment for comment but apparently "I" and the one beating the dead horse.

But you are quite the witty one aren't you. Always there to deliver the one liner.

Edited by ~Jill~, 27 March 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#52 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Sam, you've been matching me comment for comment but apparently "I" and the one beating the dead horse.

But you are quite the witty one aren't you. Always there to deliver the one liner.

I could say the same for you Jill

This started off because I said that there was not enough for teenagers to do in this area and your first response was that kids now-a-days lack imagination and that is more of the problem then that there are not things to do. I reply that the gokarting,laser tagging etc you suggested are too expensive to do often, your reply back is that I'm making excuses and that no matter what YOU say it won't be good enough. Like this is a me and you thing??

I suggested that when you are in the same position with teenagers you will most likely feel the same way (its pretty hard to understand something until you have been there) You then continue to argue with me starting your replies with "oh for god's sake ...whatever, etc claiming that I'm being argumentative. I suggest you go back and read from the beginning of this thread. It is apparent that you love to argue, with me in particular who knows why.

You claim you will argue passionately about something you believe in, but evidently you will argue just about anything wont' you.

#53 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

With you in particular? I don't know you from Adam, it isn't about you.

Other than that, I absolutely AM argumentative and you can say whatever you feel. This is the internet, I couldn't care less.

Edited by ~Jill~, 27 March 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#54 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

There is so much bullshit in this thread. Nothing is ever good enough. What we have is too expensive or not ideal. It's all a bunch of bullshit. How many cities have more than what we have here? Not many. I grew up in Sarnia and there is way more for a teen to do here than there. You know what we did? We played sports or we used our imagination like someone else said. Why do teenagers have to be out of the house and at some type of entertainment facility to have fun?

All I see in this thread is complaining and a bunch of excuses. Windsor has a lot to offer. Teenagers do NOT need to hang out at some venue every day of the week. Pick up a sport. Take some time to read. Play games with your friends. Just hang out and socialize. And if you have some money, then you have all the things people mentioned in this thread. It seems like some people want more for less. Where are you going to get that? Quit dreaming and start living reality.

#55 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

Race track like checker flag
drive in movie

Better transit system so you can enjoy the stuff that is around the city and better prices....

$10 per person for a movie is ok. but how about a theater that plays older stuff for cheap...and then dont charge an arm and a leg for pop and popcorn.

Better advertising...I have no clue what there is to do for my kid that isnt an arm and an leg or geared for little ones. Colesantes sucks now. Boppers is closed. Malls are packed and overpriced...sorry JMO

#56 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

There is so much bullshit in this thread. Nothing is ever good enough. What we have is too expensive or not ideal. It's all a bunch of bullshit. How many cities have more than what we have here? Not many. I grew up in Sarnia and there is way more for a teen to do here than there. You know what we did? We played sports or we used our imagination like someone else said. Why do teenagers have to be out of the house and at some type of entertainment facility to have fun?

All I see in this thread is complaining and a bunch of excuses. Windsor has a lot to offer. Teenagers do NOT need to hang out at some venue every day of the week. Pick up a sport. Take some time to read. Play games with your friends. Just hang out and socialize. And if you have some money, then you have all the things people mentioned in this thread. It seems like some people want more for less. Where are you going to get that? Quit dreaming and start living reality.

I agree hole heartedly. I find this whole thread just funny! I have several years on most of you here and find there just as much to do today as there was for me to do when I was a teenager over 3o years ago! And I lived in Metro Detroit. Like here you had to drive to get anywhere! My parents drove me or my brother--that's just the way it is until you can drive by yourself. That's just life.

#57 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

I agree hole heartedly. I find this whole thread just funny! I have several years on most of you here and find there just as much to do today as there was for me to do when I was a teenager over 3o years ago! And I lived in Metro Detroit. Like here you had to drive to get anywhere! My parents drove me or my brother--that's just the way it is until you can drive by yourself. That's just life.

not everyone has the option of driving though. Windsor's public transit system is AWFUL at best and much of the "attractions" aren't even in Windsor. If you don't drive (like myself) you're screwed.

#58 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Get your license then! If you can, of course! I can't imagine living without one!

#59 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Get your license then! If you can, of course! I can't imagine living without one!

well considering i have epilepsy and still have breakthrough seizures even with medication, i don't think that's a great idea.

not everyone can drive, it's very presumptious to believe that.

ETA: sorry, just noticed how b*tchy that sounded. i didn't mean to come across that way, i just get very defensive about the licence issue. i'm constantly bombarded with "well why don't you have your licence?" kinds of questions when it comes to not having it for i.d. purposes or just simply when it comes up that i don't drive. apparently if you don't "look" like you have something wrong with you, you couldn't possibly...but that's a whole other vent LOL

Edited by It'sMe, 28 March 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#60 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

I said "if you can, of course" for the chance that you may have a condition that limited your ability to drive. Sorry if that was offensive to you.

#61 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

well considering i have epilepsy and still have breakthrough seizures even with medication, i don't think that's a great idea.

ETA: sorry, just noticed how b*tchy that sounded. i didn't mean to come across that way, i just get very defensive about the licence issue. i'm constantly bombarded with "well why don't you have your licence?" kinds of questions when it comes to not having it for i.d. purposes or just simply when it comes up that i don't drive. apparently if you don't "look" like you have something wrong with you, you couldn't possibly...but that's a whole other vent LOL

She did say, get your license, if you can :) I think your reason is a good enough reason to not drive.

#62 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

She did say, get your license, if you can :) I think your reason is a good enough reason to not drive.

i know, and again i apologize. i completely overeacted! :friends

#63 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I realize not everyone can drive but really still not an reason for kids not to have things to do. I know very few teens that have no friends that they could not get a ride from some of the time. Heck growing up I had a friends whose mom did not drive either and there was always someone that would offer to get her to what ever we were doing. It just seems like there is always a reason for kids to be bored! They need a hobby or interest of some sort.

#64 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

i know, and again i apologize. i completely overeacted! :friends

NO problem at all, I know sometimes it's easy for a comment to set a person off, especially when they hear it often from people who just don't understand or are completely ignorant of the situation!

I definitely think you are doing the right thing by not driving, seeing as it would be illegal for you to have a licence, no? Nuff said. lol

#65 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

The Windsor transit system isn't the best, but it's not horrible. I've seen worse. I've been to Toronto enough times to know that unless you are right downtown, you WILL be doing a lot of driving as well - or taking public transport. Either way, still a lot of time wasting to get from place to place.

A lot of people have the "grass is greener" mentality. Have you actually spent a significant amount of time elsewhere? People say there is nothing to do, but there is. Oh, but it's too expensive. Well show me somewhere that has the same things for cheaper? Try going on go-karts at Wonderland and tell me how cheap they are. They aren't. Maybe there are cheaper places in the Toronto area, but I don't see them being any cheaper than here. I remember the go-karts in Niagara Falls were pretty expensive as well. They aren't cheap anywhere. They cost money to run. That's just reality.

As for the drive in, how many cities actually have those anymore? Very few. They aren't feasible to run in today's world. Just another reality. And from the sounds of it, most would complain that it would be too expensive. People expect more for little. Things cost money!

The grass is always greener until you get there...and some never get there. Always wanting something that they can never have - never happy.

#66 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Good points, really. Nothing is ever good enough, we are a society that cannot be satiated.

#67 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

We need Boblo, Wheels, and Fast Eddies back, and an indoor water park like Kalahari would be nice too and something like Colasanti's in Windsor.

Yeah that!!

I loved Fast Eddie's!!

It'd only cost me one or two dollars to have a few hours of fun!! As much fun as it was to play the games, it was just as much fun to hang around a machine and cheer someone on that was kicking butt!!

I really miss Wheels!! Once they moved off Dougall, I don't think they could get the customers back like they once had.... I was really hoping to continue the tradition of skating then brunch on the weekends :) and bday parties there :)

I've seen in other cities, a dance club - similar to the ones we already have more than enough of downtown - but you had to be between the ages of 14 and 18 to get in (or something like that)... they (obviously) only sold pop, water, and juice... and staff were trained well to keep an eye out for anything illegal (drinking or drugs), and bouncers were effective at keeping the peace.... and kids had fun!

ETA - I'd really like to see more family attractions in the city too.... a bigger/better science centre.... there was talk at some point of an aquarium type attraction... build that with the hotel/water park, and I think that'd be a great draw! more kids stuff at the art gallery would be nice... my girls like to go, but there's not much there for them (and trying to keep their paws off the displays can be challenging at times) lol :)

Edited by cbarker78, 29 March 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#68 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

I really think that Windsor could truly benefit from a family attraction. We manage to get some travellers over here for our Casino, but although they can now bring their children...there isn't much for them to do. We've stayed at the Casino with our kids and we asked what they recommended that we do for entertainment and they mentioned Windsor Water World.

In the summer there are events downtown, but these are time sensitive and weather-permitting. An indoor water park, museum or larger science centre would be nice. We've taken the kids to our Art Gallery, but within an hour...we've seen it all and are ready to move on.

#69 Jennrz

Jennrz

Jennrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Windsor and surrounding areas does have a lot to do, but I wish that the downtown area had more. I love to travel to other cities and walk the downtown area shops, but we mostly have bars. I remember having a lot more stores when I was a kid and could spend the Saturday afternoon browsing downtown.

#70 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

There were a lot more stores. I also remember a few occasions where we went shopping down there. It's not much other than a bar scene at this point!