11 replies to this topic

#1 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone know if we have anything similar to www.wholefoods.com here in Windsor?

#2 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

I just hop over to Michigan for my Whole Foods fix. :)

#3 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

how far over the border is Whole Foods? Good prices?
I may need to finally get a passport!

#4 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

There's one in Troy, about 20 mins. Some of it is a little on the pricier side but a lot of it is cheaper than the Natural Food section in RCSS or Zehrs and there's way more variety!! There's lots of gluten free options as well as lots of fun, healthy fare in general.

#5 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

I love Whole Foods!!! So worth it to make the trip over there :)

#6 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

i haven't been to one in the U.S., but i can tell you from the one in Yorkville (T.O.) there is a reason it's referred to as "Whole Paycheque" :hysterical

it is CRAZY expensive, especially the meat.

#7 Karen

Karen

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm thinking Remark Farms might be a good resource? I haven't been in a while but they have great produce and decent selection.

#8 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Karen. I haven't been to Remarks in SO long. I'll check them out and see what they've got.

#9 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

i haven't been to one in the U.S., but i can tell you from the one in Yorkville (T.O.) there is a reason it's referred to as "Whole Paycheque" :hysterical

I could see this! I don't do a full grocery shop but more the supplemental stuff that I either can't find here or refuse to pay double the price for. The wild salmon is a pretty good price, though.

#10 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

I could see this! I don't do a full grocery shop but more the supplemental stuff that I either can't find here or refuse to pay double the price for. The wild salmon is a pretty good price, though.

that's pretty much what i do! i'm in love with their deli counter and their prepared salads. it's well worth the arm & two legs they charge for them lol

#11 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

that's pretty much what i do! i'm in love with their deli counter and their prepared salads. it's well worth the arm & two legs they charge for them lol

And the guacamole!!! (me: "but baby, it's so good!!!" dh: "it's $10!!!" LOL)

#12 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

I like Whole Foods, but I find that for the most part I can get the same stuff at Trader Joe's for a fraction of the price ... At Whole Paycheck in Oakville my peanut butter is almost $8, it's $4.50 at Meijer of all places.
The gluten free cereal I like is over $5 at WF and under $3 at TJ's
I don't mind shopping around to save some money but the nice thing about WF is all the stuff is in one store (and the selection is absolutely mind boggling - especially in the gluten free area). Usually where you find a Whole Foods, there's a Trader Joe's nearby.
Worth hopping the border for sure!