Photo

Paid Membership

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Thoughts on paid membership

Should we go to paid membership for m2m?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

I wonder what the current members' thoughts are on this? If we had paid membership for m2m, we could support events/parties for the kids, help add cool features to the site and maybe pay our admin a nominal fee for all of the work that they do. It wouldn't take much but a small fee by all members could probably also weed out those who really want to be a part of the community from those who just stick around to stir things up. Thoughts?

Edited by JavaBean, 01 April 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

I would definitely pay to be here!

#3 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sorry! Didn't mean to lock it so you couldn't reply!

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

I have 2 thoughts on this - 1 is that is why we have sponsors, they do pay for events for the children. 2 I agree with you about weeding out the people that are only here to cause trouble. I whole heartidly believe that those people are chasing away the sponsors. I wouldn't mind paying to use the site if I knew I would actually be getting some good and useful information out of it. However, what would happen to the sponsors at that point?

#5 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

I have 2 thoughts on this - 1 is that is why we have sponsors, they do pay for events for the children. 2 I agree with you about weeding out the people that are only here to cause trouble. I whole heartidly believe that those people are chasing away the sponsors. I wouldn't mind paying to use the site if I knew I would actually be getting some good and useful information out of it. However, what would happen to the sponsors at that point?

I would think the sponsors would remain the same...the whole point is for more money for m2m and the events and the volunteers :)

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

I would think the sponsors would remain the same...the whole point is for more money for m2m and the events and the volunteers :)

What happens to the money from the sales/expos etc?

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

Mo' money!!! LOL No seriously, the more money generated would make things run that much more smoothly. It could make up for events when people no show, help to keep the costs for events down and again benefit ALL of the membership.

#8 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Mom2mom was created as a place for local women to meet and support each other. When m2m first began the founding members had very young children. Many of us were not native to Windsor/Essex County and were feeling a need to create our own community of support. Will and Elaine tied this in with the m2m sales, but the real roots of this m2m community wer to provide a "village" for those of us who had no village or needed to expand our village. Charging for this site will make it exclusive and also weed out the people who probably need this village the most. The fee would be easy for me to pay, but if Will and Elaine had charged for a membership to this "village" when we all formed it years ago, I would have not been able to pay the fee. I think this is a horrible idea. M2M wasn't created as a way to entertain our children or to create events for our children; M2M was created as a way for moms to connect with other moms to create a community and village of people who could relate to each other and support each other, regardless of social or economic status. It would be a real travesty to charge a fee at all.

The trouble makers and trolls are a part of real life. I don't know why anyone would feel the need to weed them out of this site. I come across them every day, outside of the internet. I have the nutbars at church who look for drama. I have the employees who feel the need to gossip and exaggerate and lie. I have family members who meddle and create crazy situations. All of these things are a part of real life situations, so seeing them on here just makes this place more of an accurate reflection of reality.

#9 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

I'd be the first to leave if I had to pay a membership fee! I agree with Amber.

#10 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

Mo' money!!! LOL No seriously, the more money generated would make things run that much more smoothly. It could make up for events when people no show, help to keep the costs for events down and again benefit ALL of the membership.

I agree. If people refuse to pay for things, then I guess we just stop having events and purely be an online forum. It's not fair to the organizers and the people who really want to be at events, to pour their hearts into things only for people not to show up. :(

#11 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

what amber said

#12 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I agree. If people refuse to pay for things, then I guess we just stop having events and purely be an online forum. It's not fair to the organizers and the people who really want to be at events, to pour their hearts into things only for people not to show up. :(

but wouldn't more people make an effort to show up IF they feel some of their money went toward the event. I would think more people would make the effort to come PLUS there wouldn't be as many "yes I am coming" but don't show up.

#13 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

but wouldn't more people make an effort to show up IF they feel some of their money went toward the event. I would think more people would make the effort to come PLUS there wouldn't be as many "yes I am coming" but don't show up.

that's what I mean. If I have to pay for something, I'm going to make sure I use it.

#14 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

wonder if people should also get paid for being active in the forums too...like get a discount for doing lots of USEFUL posts

#15 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

The fee for the membership could encompass events, special access to sales, upgrades to the website as needed, etc. People would need to RSVP still on events but the cost would already be covered, therefore, avoiding the last minute scramble to have enough people to a) come b) pay for spots that were spoken for and then backed out on at the last minute.

#16 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

This was always the case for people showing up and you can't change that. m2m use to have way more get togethers, etc. I was more community conncted when WIll and Elaine owned it.

I also would not pay to be on here.

#17 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

also we would need a "this response was useful", "this person is a troll", "oh more useless crap", "posting for the sake of posting" buttons to help determine who does and doesn't get the discounts

#18 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

wonder if people should also get paid for being active in the forums too...like get a discount for doing lots of USEFUL posts

My membership would be free, if that were the case!! HAHA :tongue

#19 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

My membership would be free, if that were the case!! HAHA :tongue

sure we can have an ask Dr. Jill forum...and of course your membership would be free. Maybe you can make money and charge. If it flies, I want a cut for the idea

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

lol That would definitely fly. I mean.. how could it not?? I am a brilliant genius. I am witty, kind, etc, etc. It's a perfect plan!! :biggrin

I'll give you a small cut.

#21 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

While I can see the value in more money supporting the site and would be willing to pay personally, I would be concerned for those who need this community and are unable to pay. For that reason I don't feel a membership fee is appropriate for this type of forum and purpose.

#22 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Also, how would they collect? Not everyone has a credit card, etc. I don't think it's the best idea for the time being.

#23 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't pay for the site. I enjoy giving my time via being a moderator and there are activities that I enjoy taking my son to. I think a better idea may be to charge $1/kid for the cool events that happen during the year if we wanted to raise extra money.

OR have a tiered membership whereby if you pay for your membership you'd have access to a bunch of things including not have to pay the aforementioned fee for outing.

No real thoughts on what the different tiers would be or anything like that - but the business model is pretty solid for a lot of businesses who have people who won't/can't/don't want to pay and those who want more value.

#24 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

My suggestion for events, if people want to keep hosting them, is to charge in advance for admission then if you show and surrender your tickets and are members of mom2mom you get your money back. This way if people don't show up at least their money goes toward the cost. Logistics might be difficult but maybe there could be few pick up locations as well as paypal set up for people to do this.

I think sponsorships/advertising should be increased (not what people are paying but rather the number of sponsors) to keep this place free - with Facebook etc I am pretty sure making people pay will cause them to jump ship.

As for Admin - I do think the very upper level of Admin should be compensated in some way - I cannot imagine what it takes to keep these forums running and I often wonder what the motivation is for people to take on such responsibility with no compensation. However, again, I think the owners of the site need to work that into the budget and pay even a small stipend from residuals from sponsors/events/ads

#25 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

I agree with what Amber said about some people who need it wouldn't be able to pay. I really dont think paying reflects what this site is supposed to be all about. I dont believe we would weed out the crazies either. There are some who would probably pay to stay and cause trouble

#26 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLIED ABOVE: GOT YA!!!!!! And "Happy April Fool's Day!" :biggrin

#27 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

LMAO

#28 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLIED ABOVE: GOT YA!!!!!! And "Happy April Fool's Day!" :biggrin

didn't get me! so anyone that thought my responses were serious....GOT YA!!

#29 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

and now I am disappointed because I was having fun playing

#30 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

LOL even though I knew, I still stand by what I said. LOL!

#31 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

I thought the "rule" for April Fool's day is that it's done by noon? Anyway, it was fun and I hope I didn't get anyone too riled up. I just love to pull pranks, muahahaha!!!

#32 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

really never heard the noon thing before. Well that is offically my learn something new item of April 1, 2011

#33 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

well you made me google it and sure enough that is tradition...

but I must share with you what one website said:

The following people think that April Fool's Day ends at noon:

1.) Idiots
2.) Canadians
Source(s):
Common sense

#34 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yes, I heard today from a co worker that april fools ends at noon too!

#35 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

This was always the case for people showing up and you can't change that. m2m use to have way more get togethers, etc. I was more community conncted when WIll and Elaine owned it.

I also would not pay to be on here.

Actually attendance was way down on the events while Will and Elaine still owned the site.