Photo

Paid Membership

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Thoughts on paid membership

Should we go to paid membership for m2m?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#36 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

lol

but this thread goes to show...that you can argue pro and con for virtually ANY topic!

#37 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

lol

but this thread goes to show...that you can argue pro and con for virtually ANY topic!

hahaha!!! Especially on m2m!!!

And uh, Teri, are you calling me a Canadian Idiot?! :watchingu

#38 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

I thought the turn out was pretty good for the things I've been to! I do wish people wouldn't say they would come when they wont.. that's how you end up with a bunch of ice and no coolers to put it in! LOL K, so I'm still on that one! :tongue

Edited by ~Jill~, 01 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#39 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

I figured it was an April Fools joke but still thought it was a good discussion to have.

#40 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

I thought the turn out was pretty good for the things I've been to! I do wish people wouldn't say they would come when they wont.. that's how you end up with a bunch of ice and no coolers to put it in! LOL K, so I'm still on that one! :tongue

im still on it too. i paid for that ice only for the people that were supposed to bring coolers flake out... grrrrr

#41 LovingMommyof3

LovingMommyof3

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

i love the site, but i wouldn't pay to stay. most mom sites i know of are free, and the sponsors pay.

#42 jcs mom

jcs mom

Platinum Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

Mom2mom was created as a place for local women to meet and support each other. When m2m first began the founding members had very young children. Many of us were not native to Windsor/Essex County and were feeling a need to create our own community of support. Will and Elaine tied this in with the m2m sales, but the real roots of this m2m community wer to provide a "village" for those of us who had no village or needed to expand our village. Charging for this site will make it exclusive and also weed out the people who probably need this village the most. The fee would be easy for me to pay, but if Will and Elaine had charged for a membership to this "village" when we all formed it years ago, I would have not been able to pay the fee. I think this is a horrible idea. M2M wasn't created as a way to entertain our children or to create events for our children; M2M was created as a way for moms to connect with other moms to create a community and village of people who could relate to each other and support each other, regardless of social or economic status. It would be a real travesty to charge a fee at all.

The trouble makers and trolls are a part of real life. I don't know why anyone would feel the need to weed them out of this site. I come across them every day, outside of the internet. I have the nutbars at church who look for drama. I have the employees who feel the need to gossip and exaggerate and lie. I have family members who meddle and create crazy situations. All of these things are a part of real life situations, so seeing them on here just makes this place more of an accurate reflection of reality.

This is absolutely the truth totally agree

#43 jcs mom

jcs mom

Platinum Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

My suggestion for events, if people want to keep hosting them, is to charge in advance for admission then if you show and surrender your tickets and are members of mom2mom you get your money back. This way if people don't show up at least their money goes toward the cost. Logistics might be difficult but maybe there could be few pick up locations as well as paypal set up for people to do this.

I think sponsorships/advertising should be increased (not what people are paying but rather the number of sponsors) to keep this place free - with Facebook etc I am pretty sure making people pay will cause them to jump ship.

As for Admin - I do think the very upper level of Admin should be compensated in some way - I cannot imagine what it takes to keep these forums running and I often wonder what the motivation is for people to take on such responsibility with no compensation. However, again, I think the owners of the site need to work that into the budget and pay even a small stipend from residuals from sponsors/events/ads

As a sponsor i stopped posting after 7 months with NO sales or leads. Being a sponsor has not done anything to help my business on m2m. I have been a member, mod, admin all at one time or another and it does take a huge amount of work to be on the admin team and a huge time commitment.
As for the sponsors paying more... If you get sales from your advertising sure. I am giving it another try with my latest sponsor post and if I dont get any feedback I cant afford to advertise to not get a sale or leads for the amount a sponsor pays for advertising i have to sell 5 starter kits and so far not one. in almost a year. So if sponsors are not making money or at the very least breaking even i will have to pull out and focus my money on where it brings in business. If you want more events, features for the site support your sponsors plain and simple.
Curious as to what the other current and former sponsors feel about paying more and if advertising on M2M has been successful for your business. I would imagine if you were selling something that cost much more and your profit was bigger due to the fact the original cost for the purchase is higher it would be better for sponsors who make much more on a big ticket item to support m2m than small or individual sales consultants.

#44 jcs mom

jcs mom

Platinum Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

I figured it was an April Fools joke but still thought it was a good discussion to have.

shows that i did not read the whole thread... but i stand by all i wrote

#45 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

My suggestion for events, if people want to keep hosting them, is to charge in advance for admission then if you show and surrender your tickets and are members of mom2mom you get your money back. This way if people don't show up at least their money goes toward the cost. Logistics might be difficult but maybe there could be few pick up locations as well as paypal set up for people to do this.

I think sponsorships/advertising should be increased (not what people are paying but rather the number of sponsors) to keep this place free - with Facebook etc I am pretty sure making people pay will cause them to jump ship.

As for Admin - I do think the very upper level of Admin should be compensated in some way - I cannot imagine what it takes to keep these forums running and I often wonder what the motivation is for people to take on such responsibility with no compensation. However, again, I think the owners of the site need to work that into the budget and pay even a small stipend from residuals from sponsors/events/ads

As a sponsor i stopped posting after 7 months with NO sales or leads. Being a sponsor has not done anything to help my business on m2m. I have been a member, mod, admin all at one time or another and it does take a huge amount of work to be on the admin team and a huge time commitment.
As for the sponsors paying more... If you get sales from your advertising sure. I am giving it another try with my latest sponsor post and if I dont get any feedback I cant afford to advertise to not get a sale or leads for the amount a sponsor pays for advertising i have to sell 5 starter kits and so far not one. in almost a year. So if sponsors are not making money or at the very least breaking even i will have to pull out and focus my money on where it brings in business. If you want more events, features for the site support your sponsors plain and simple.
Curious as to what the other current and former sponsors feel about paying more and if advertising on M2M has been successful for your business. I would imagine if you were selling something that cost much more and your profit was bigger due to the fact the original cost for the purchase is higher it would be better for sponsors who make much more on a big ticket item to support m2m than small or individual sales consultants.

agreed. This will be my last round of sponsorship as well. m2m also needs to get stricter with their no advertising rules

#46 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

agreed. This will be my last round of sponsorship as well. m2m also needs to get stricter with their no advertising rules

This is why I am no longer a sponsor as well!