46 replies to this topic

#1 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

For the ones that have been to Disney, what is the approximate cost of a trip to Disney? I am referring to a family of four...just the Disney part, accommodations and food....don't include souvenirs and travel. Thanks a ton!

#2 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Are you planning on staying on site or off? And tickets for how many days?

#3 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

With airfare, staying onsite, food, and tickets, I'd say around $4500.

#4 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

If you have specific dates I can do up a free quote for you. PM me if youd like my email.

#5 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

last year we went in nov- and for a total of $5000- we had our accomodations, flight, food (including gratuity) and wagon rentals (which was almost $300) this year we have priced it and so far it seems a bit higher.
we did have the free dining plan last year- but upgraded for $160 total)
Our flight was a bit high since we went the week before the us thanksgiving as well.

#6 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

We dont have to pay for accomodations when we go but the cost to get into Disney is $75 for kids under the age of 9 and $99 for everyone else, that is for a 1 day pass. You definitely need more than one day at Disney so I would look into packages for multi-day passes.

#7 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

In mid Feb of this year--

family of 4
5 nights-stayed at Pop century resort
5 days at the parks
quick serve dining plan(all the food you could possibly need,IMO)
= $1500

#8 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

If you want to stay on site, have a meal plan, and have a GOOD time, not worrying about anything, you're looking at around $5000.

#9 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

In mid Feb of this year--

family of 4
5 nights-stayed at Pop century resort
5 days at the parks
quick serve dining plan(all the food you could possibly need,IMO)
= $1500

wow...that seems like a great deal compared to what others say. I was thinking it would be about $5000 for a week including flights, accommodations and meal plan.

thanks for the input everyone.

#10 Digger

Digger

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

I also went to Disney in February of this year stayed at Pop Century with quick service meal plan for 4 people, two adults and two kids with airfare for 5 nights 6 days and it cost us $2600 Canadian

#11 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

LOL, this thread is depressing. I really want to go to Disney, but at those prices, i'll never be able to afford it.

#12 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

I also went to Disney in February of this year stayed at Pop Century with quick service meal plan for 4 people, two adults and two kids with airfare for 5 nights 6 days and it cost us $2600 Canadian

That is GREAT! Was Pop Century nice accommodations...I know nothing about Disney. Thanks!

(I am also assuming that this cost didn't include little extras such as breakfast with the princesses, right? I heard those are expensive)

#13 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

LOL, this thread is depressing. I really want to go to Disney, but at those prices, i'll never be able to afford it.

I know...it is sad that Disney is so expensive! You can book an all-inclusive to Cuba for about $800 canadian right now...I am not sure if kids get to go cheaper but I heard they do. Amazing how Disney really hits the wallet! :(

#14 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

$5000 seems very high. My $1500 did not include airfare (we drove). Digger says her total with airfare was $2600 - which is way more in line with what we payed without airfare (guessing airfare for 4 is about a $1000 on off peak times)

We did a character supper (Chef Mickey ate with Mickey and his pals) which was something like another $100 or so for that (our oldest dd didn't want to come-it was a buffet dinner costing about 40/person - kids maybe $25ish.. so two adults, one kid = ~$100)

When you break it all down it cost us about $300/day. That is hotel,food and park. Break it down even more a night in a hotel is easily $100/night. Park passes to even parks around here are easily $100/day for a family of 4. Food for a day - family of 4, breakfast, lunch and dinner --easily $100/day so adding it all up $300/day is what some people pay to visit places like Marineland, Wonderland, Cedar Point, Kalahari and etc...

The reason Disney seems so much more money is most people stay longer than a day or so.

#15 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thank you for the breakdown terbear! And it does makes sense....you would easily spend $300 a day if you went out of town for an attraction. I think I just might investigate more and hopefully we can make it happen in the next year :D

#16 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

I know...it is sad that Disney is so expensive! You can book an all-inclusive to Cuba for about $800 canadian right now...I am not sure if kids get to go cheaper but I heard they do. Amazing how Disney really hits the wallet! :(

Kids between 2 and 12 go for a discounted rate. Under 2 are typically free but you may pay a minimal charge (I see $16.00 a lot when booking infants). Cuba is the cheapest place going right now for getaways followed by Domincan and Mexico.

For the most part flight prices have increased over the past month or so and we've seen them steadily holding or increasing every day since.

Disney is pretty pricey for the most part and I easily see $4000-5000 for a family of 4 for most trips including airfare, transfers, on-site resorts with dining plans and hopper passes.

#17 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thank you for the info Kiana :D

#18 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Anytime Pookersmom! I love my job and help making peoples travel dreams a reality! :)

#19 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

We also went mid-February of this year. Air, meals, tickets and accommodations (2 story townhouse with private pool): $2200

We did breakfast at CRT, awesome experience for your little princess fans, but also pretty pricey. And don't forget all the extras that really add up: rental car, gas, parking at the airport, insurance, stroller rental etc.

Oh and keep in mind that Magic Kingdom is under some serious construction right now as they do their Fantasyland expansion. Disney does an amazing job of hiding it all but there are attractions and even large sections of the park that are completely closed. It wasn't a big deal for us because our kids are little and didn't know any different but some people may be disappointed.

#20 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Anytime Pookersmom! I love my job and help making peoples travel dreams a reality! :)

Well if your still in business say in.... 5 yrs lol, we'll look u up!

#21 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

We also went mid-February of this year. Air, meals, tickets and accommodations (2 story townhouse with private pool): $2200

We did breakfast at CRT, awesome experience for your little princess fans, but also pretty pricey. And don't forget all the extras that really add up: rental car, gas, parking at the airport, insurance, stroller rental etc.

Oh and keep in mind that Magic Kingdom is under some serious construction right now as they do their Fantasyland expansion. Disney does an amazing job of hiding it all but there are attractions and even large sections of the park that are completely closed. It wasn't a big deal for us because our kids are little and didn't know any different but some people may be disappointed.

Did they indicate when the expansion would be complete? Thanks for the info!

#22 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'm pretty sure it's going to be done in stages but overall probably 2013. It's going to be amazing and I can't wait to go and see it!!

#23 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it's going to be done in stages but overall probably 2013. It's going to be amazing and I can't wait to go and see it!!

Another family trip might be in order then! I seriously can't wait to go back!

#24 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

I just got back last night from 10 days of fun, I'll post later in the financial forum the prices of disney and other things.

#25 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

I really believe airfare will be your BIG variable on whether you can do this for $2200 or $5000. Disney is offering and has been for about a year, amazing family pkgs including meals, accomodations on site etc. As some have noted, the basic meal plan is fine. If you want an upgrade you will pay more but all about what you are expecting. Same with your hotel room. If you plan on staying in your room all day and want an upgrade, there are many 'luxury' resorts on site -- but to me if you are going to Disney you are there to see the attractions. Not the view in your room.

Airfare thou can vary -- we fly to Florida every year and generally into Orlando. I use $200 as my benchmark for a roundtrip ticket. Have got airfare for lower that that as well. But if you are looking at flying at March break, you might be paying $500 a person so the add'l is going to make a big dif in your total price.

I took dd to Disney this year but only to Magic Kingdom (second time Ive taken her to just that park). Will do the big all-park pkg in another couple years. But the cost of entrance if you only buy a 1 or 2 day pass is about $80.00 a day per person and there is really no 'child' rate much lower. When you are buying the pkgs, your per day rate can be as low as $30 etc per day.

My advice --- stick to asking the people on here who have posted they have gone because you can do it affordably and see everything you hoped to!

#26 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

Our trip in late Jan:

10 nights at Pop Century (value hotel - think motel) = abt $1000.
10 days of meals = free plus upgrade of about $200 for the "better" meal plan $200
10 days tickets = $1000+
TOTAL = $2200

Souvenirs = $60
Tips (for meals) = $150

GRAND TOTAL = $2410 (or so)

We found a super deal on airfare on Delta and flew for $150 pp. Typically, tix are between $200 and $300. You can get cheap flights on Spirit sometimes flying on Wednesdays but even cheap, it's about $150 pp and I don't like the flight times much. I prefer Delta but always check Spirit in case the sale is too good.

So airfare would have been $600 for us. We got it pretty much free using points and airmiles.

Incl. airfare, the trip would have been about $3K.

Keep in mind ticket costs after 3 days or so are close to the $250pp range. And even at 10 days, I think it only crawls to the $270 range so for ease I just calculate tix as about $250pp for any trip longer than a few days.

So your variables are hotel and food. A value hotel can cost anywhere between $80+ to $140+ a night depending on the time of year. I like off peak season because crowds are better and prices are better too. Keep in mind when thinking of accommodations that a gorgeous villa is abt the same price as a cramped room in a value hotel. The only problem for me has been spending the extra few hundred dollars to rent a car and pay for parking. I always compare it though and one day I'd love to stay offsite in a luxurious house.

#27 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:35 AM

Thank you for the detailed breakdown Elaine...so helpful!

Btw....was Pop Century ok for accommodations, I have read some bad reviews...run down, dirty, etc

Thanks!

Our trip in late Jan:

10 nights at Pop Century (value hotel - think motel) = abt $1000.
10 days of meals = free plus upgrade of about $200 for the "better" meal plan $200
10 days tickets = $1000+
TOTAL = $2200

Souvenirs = $60
Tips (for meals) = $150

GRAND TOTAL = $2410 (or so)

We found a super deal on airfare on Delta and flew for $150 pp. Typically, tix are between $200 and $300. You can get cheap flights on Spirit sometimes flying on Wednesdays but even cheap, it's about $150 pp and I don't like the flight times much. I prefer Delta but always check Spirit in case the sale is too good.

So airfare would have been $600 for us. We got it pretty much free using points and airmiles.

Incl. airfare, the trip would have been about $3K.

Keep in mind ticket costs after 3 days or so are close to the $250pp range. And even at 10 days, I think it only crawls to the $270 range so for ease I just calculate tix as about $250pp for any trip longer than a few days.

So your variables are hotel and food. A value hotel can cost anywhere between $80+ to $140+ a night depending on the time of year. I like off peak season because crowds are better and prices are better too. Keep in mind when thinking of accommodations that a gorgeous villa is abt the same price as a cramped room in a value hotel. The only problem for me has been spending the extra few hundred dollars to rent a car and pay for parking. I always compare it though and one day I'd love to stay offsite in a luxurious house.

#28 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

ya our $5000 included everything ( souvineers as well- sorry didn't read that in your question) we stayed at all star music ( value resorts- ) nice - basic room- clean- and fine with us. i would've liked a frige but did fine without one.
we also bought tickets to mickey's magical christmas- which allowed us in magic kindom for the christmas parade after closing- that was $200 ( + tax for our fam of 4)
As expensive as the trip was...it was totally worth it. we were going to go this year- but i think we will hold off one more year - maybe!! I do get the itch to go when I hear how excited others are when they are about to go.

#29 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

I've stayed at both All Star Sports and Pop Century. Like Leanne said, they're OK rooms. It depends what you want. They're simple and clean. Expect tight quarters with not much room to move around. Then again, I just stayed at the Delta Chelsea in TO and it's 3 or 4 star or something and costs $150 - $200+ a night....and the room there was just as cramped. I was rather shocked.

They've got a bright, fun vibe with lots of colors everywhere. Some people think it's too loud. I enjoy it.

No fridge. You can rent one for $10 a night. I participated in a fridge swap and got a fridge for free for my whole stay. (This is where someone buys a fridge and it gets passed from guest to guest and there is no cost involved).

Pools don't have a slide but some have water sprays and so on. They're themed - usually in loud colors. The more upscale hotels are typically themed more tropically with more foliage.

#30 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

For anyone looking, this is a way to get cheaper tickets. You sign your kids up for an educational class. Disney YES program - individual enrollment.
Tickets range between $120 - $200 pp. MUCH cheaper than the normal $250 pp.

http://www.disneyyou...dual-enrollment

#31 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Kids between 2 and 12 go for a discounted rate. Under 2 are typically free but you may pay a minimal charge (I see $16.00 a lot when booking infants). Cuba is the cheapest place going right now for getaways followed by Domincan and Mexico.

For the most part flight prices have increased over the past month or so and we've seen them steadily holding or increasing every day since.

Disney is pretty pricey for the most part and I easily see $4000-5000 for a family of 4 for most trips including airfare, transfers, on-site resorts with dining plans and hopper passes.

Cruising is the Cheapest Vacation I have ever found- The 4 of us incld flights, cruise and all food was $1800. All the cruise ships have kids waterparks now, free daycare, and free room service.

Can't be Carnival- not to mention you get to see more than 1 country. We had 2 rooms adjoining- it was awesome.

#32 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

I just got an email that said standard rooms in a Disney Value resort are $124/night Sun - Thurs

#33 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Cruising is the Cheapest Vacation I have ever found- The 4 of us incld flights, cruise and all food was $1800. All the cruise ships have kids waterparks now, free daycare, and free room service.

Can't be Carnival- not to mention you get to see more than 1 country. We had 2 rooms adjoining- it was awesome.

$1800 for 1 week, family of four and flight included???? That is shocking as typical flights just to florida are around $150-200 each...times 4 and you are close to $1000 just in flights. And what kind of room...tiny inside cabin? I have never seen cruises that cheap...maybe a 3 day cruise? Let me know where you are booking....I will FOR SURE be booking too if it is that good of a deal! :D

#34 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

$1800 for 1 week, family of four and flight included???? That is shocking as typical flights just to florida are around $150-200 each...times 4 and you are close to $1000 just in flights. And what kind of room...tiny inside cabin? I have never seen cruises that cheap...maybe a 3 day cruise? Let me know where you are booking....I will FOR SURE be booking too if it is that good of a deal! :D

That is an awesome deal! Where did the cruise start from? How much were your flights? And yeah...how long was the cruise? I do remember seeing cruises that start from San Juan, etc are MUCH cheaper than cruises that originate from the States. And for sure I've seen prices like $200-$300pp. I remember seeing Carnival go from Miami for a 5 night Caribbean cruise for just $300pp. So that would be $1200 for 4 and then another $800 for flight, which is very possible. Good deals :)

Disney would definitely be more than that, even for 5 nights with discounts like free dining.
Hotel: $100 x 5 = $500
Tix: $250 x 4 = $1000
Air: $200 x 4 = $800

Total = $2300

One day I'll have to try cruising :)

#35 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

We paid $220 per person for a 5day cruise. Nov 2010 left Miami went to Key West and Cozumel

Flights were $174.00 each. Stayed in 2 adjoining oceanview rooms (Kids in one room , us in the other) Had we all decided to stay in the same room, the cruise would've been cheaper ($129 for the kids) but we wanted the extra space. Used Carnival.com and Travelocity.com

A few tips